Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I enjoyed the first episode of Ethersea well enough but I didn't really understand the goal. I keep hearing The Quiet Year being called a "game" but there don't seem to be any goals or consequences. Nothing seems to really matter.

For those of you who have played - is there a goal? Is there any success metric?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

more falafel please posted:

There's not really a goal or success metric to any tabletop role playing game.

That's patently untrue. When playing as a character in a role playing game, you absolutely have personal and group goals. If there's a monster, your goal is to kill it. If there's a villain, your goal is to prevent them from carrying out their plans. If there's a problem, your goal is to solve it.

I'm all onboard the "just have fun" train, but it helps to know a little about what they are working toward.

ImPureAwesome posted:

It's basically a collaborative, organic way to build a world and it's history and facts about the world through the prompts TQY gives you. It's basically like coming up with what the old world looked like before the bombs fell in Fallout or what the Sumerilian does for LotR and defining what the first 2 ages looked like so they can be peppered into the main story as needed

Again, I'm down with this, but it is in no way a "game" and it feels weird to call it one. But I'm just picking at nits - it doesn't really matter.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Zero One posted:

No that's a pretty narrow view of games. Not every game needs to be "kill the monster".

Wow, way to completely ignore the next two sentences:

dantheman650 posted:

If there's a villain, your goal is to prevent them from carrying out their plans. If there's a problem, your goal is to solve it.

Zero One posted:

Think of it like Sim City. You build your little city and imagine what and why things are changing.

Then an earthquake-volcano-asteriod hits and you need to start over.

TQY is Sim City.

In Sim City, you have a goal. The goal is (usually) to create a city that can grow and create a safe and productive space for residents to live. If you don't like that goal, you can come up with your own goal. By playing it, you are almost certainly working toward something.

All I am saying is I don't quite understand what The Quiet Year is working toward.

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yeah it's not really a game, just a set of rules and a decks of prompts that someone put together to guide people along a process to create interesting histories and worlds that make some internal sense

Agreed, and I think it's just fine and enjoyable at doing this!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Sankara posted:

What would you call "A Quiet Year" if not a game?

I dunno, a prompt-based group narrative builder? I am not great at naming things.

Empty Sandwich posted:

or chat with it, bluff it, befriend it, ignore it, flee from it, any number of other things.

or join with them, or ignore the plans, etc.

or exacerbate it, or ignore it, etc.

I was just giving a few examples. The main point was you know which one you're trying to do and I don't for A Quiet Year.

Organza Quiz posted:

I think the thought dantheman is trying to express is that most games have some sort of problem you are trying to solve or overarching thing you are trying to do and they weren't sure what TQY's one is. The answer is it's trying to build up a community that can survive the Bad Stuff that will happen after the year ends.

In this particular case it's building an underwater city to survive the land becoming uninhabitable. There aren't "stakes" in that it's taken as a given that the players will manage this since the setting for the next campaign is underwater city and not everyone in the world is dead. But the interest comes from how they will do it and what sort of backdrop it will form later on.

It's like watching an action movie, you know the good guy is going to survive and win but you still want to see how it happens!

This helps though.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Is The Besties still a thing?

Yep. Their contract with Spotify ended so it's back up on any podcast platform, and totally ad-free!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

I stopped the episode at some point during the Chuck E. Cheese children's album, is there a good bit in the last 10 min?

You shouldn't have - it was fantastic.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I loved this episode's light-hearted banter and how immediately they were able to jump into the game. I did not like Travis's voice one bit, and I didn't love how both Travis and Clint are playing "stupid" characters - that has the possibility of getting old real fast.

But I think this is a pretty promising start! The world building they did in Quiet Year is already paying off.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

This week’s TAZ felt skip-worthy. Way too serious and slow.

And I really miss Cool Games Inc. and Monster Factory.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Warbird posted:

Here’s the great thing: even if this one was eh, there will be a new one to be mad about next week!

No doubt! This was one of the only episodes of the current arc I thought was a stinker and overall I’m enjoying it quite a bit. I’ve just always liked TAZ when it’s weirder and sillier and less when they try to be serious and actually try to tackle heavy themes.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m generally ok with munch squad and I didn’t really even mind this week’s because Count Donut is great but why did it matter to you at all that the promotion was for glazed donuts specifically? Krispy Kreme’s signature dozen is glazed. It makes total sense and there’s nothing funny or interesting about it at all. It would be like if Burger King did the same thing and offered a Whopper meal. :confused:

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I don’t mind the live episodes but I’m getting tired of Haunted Doll Watch where clearly a big part of it is seeing the pictures.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I really dislike the new theme song. It doesn’t fit the show at all and just feels out of place. Griffin’s song was perfect.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m curious to see how many episodes in a row the boys can talk about Korn. I think we’re at 3 or 4 now. It’s really quite impressive!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What was going in the last episode of TAZ? I sort of lost the plot. They were supposed to find and steal a certain truck right? Why did they spend so long trying to figure out who the employees were? Did they split up just to make sure at least one of them had the right truck? And why did Justin just straight up tell them which one was the right one at the end? Why did two of the NPCs go to different trucks?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I like Steeplechase and I even love a ton of the background music but the music in Poppy’s Place is ridiculously annoying and distracting.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I am absolutely digging this arc. The latest episode is one of the best in literal years and for the first time in a long time I’m regularly laughing out loud and also actively looking forward to the next episode. I could do with never having “combat” again and just having way more fun character-based hijinks.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I think I’m done with The Besties. I’ve enjoyed it for a long time because of the humor and banter but for two current and two former professional game journalists (lol) they are all so remarkably uninformed about games. I know they are busy but I’m tired of hearing half-baked discussions about games some of them only played for a few hours.

This week’s discussion about the PSVR2 was full of misinformation and shows none of them did even a minute of research about it. Russ got things wrong that were in the Polygon review!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

I think their lack of time and passion mirrors my own at this phase of life, I don't think I could listen to another podcast where people were more informed because it would just make me jealous

Interestingly this is why I did enjoy listening a lot of the time. I really appreciated Justin's take on Metroid Prime. It was my favorite game ever when I played it in high school, and I'm enjoying it a lot this time around too, but since my time is more precious now I also have a newfound annoyance about design that purposefully wastes a player's time . Metroid Prime has some clunky backtracking that a few shortcuts would alleviate. Like Justin, I also got annoyed at the chamber that was overgrown with vines for no reason other than to make you go the long way around.

However, the VR discussion was just plain bad - they got material facts wrong and made crazy leaps of judgement, like Russ claiming "most people won't be able to play Horizon" due to motion sickness when only a slim minority of reviewers mentioned feeling sick. VR motion sickness is a real thing, but it's weird for Russ to extrapolate his personal experience to "most people".

They also called it an "incremental upgrade" while not mentioning any of the insane new advantages like foveated rendering, OLED 4k, inside-out tracking, etc.

I get it, all four of them are sour on VR for various reasons, but it felt like none of them had any idea what they were talking about and I wish they had just skipped this discussion entirely.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I can’t believe they didn’t come up with Randy’s Nuts.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’ve said it before but I feel compelled to say it again; the Poppy’s Place “music” is so goddamn grating and miserable. I hate every single downtime because of this music. It’s beyond irritating.

Also I think Travis has completely forgotten that he’s playing a character in an RPG. What happened to Beef? He’s just Travis now.

I was digging Steeplechase but it’s feeling more and more low-effort and unfocused lately.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

El Jeffe posted:

Sound bath: better or worse than Jack Johnson quotes?

Worse, by far. Whatever, as soon as they start announcements I usually just end the episode anyway.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Sockser posted:

the SNL guest introductions is a wonderful Twitter account,
it is a miserable bit.

Agreed. I'm not really great at celebrity names so half the time I don't even know who the person is, so it's just a complete zero for me. And we don't even get to see the video, which seems to be a lot of what they are laughing at. Oh well, it's easy to skip.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

kdrudy posted:

Also, I'm beyond sick of them just warbling into mic at the end of main show episodes.

Do what I’ve been doing for years - the moment they start to say “and it’s about time to wrap up” slam that delete button. There’s nothing worth sticking around for.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Gotta love when the boys don’t even keep a list of wizard in the cloud articles they’ve already done. I think this segment needs to die. It never came anywhere close to yahoo answers, unfortunately.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

change my name posted:

The music and jokes have been great so far but I really really hope it doesn't devolve into typical "save the world from an all-consuming eldritch god" stuff, it really seems like it's going that way with the latest intro

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me every single TAZ arc, you know the rest

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

If we’re talking about bad pronunciations, I can’t get over the fact that Justin calls Reese’s “ree-see”.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

No ya’ll. He doesn’t say ree-sees. He says ree-see. No plural. It’s messed up

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

AndrewP posted:

Been calling them Reecee’s Peecees for as long as I can remember

But I also say Twunny, must be a mid Atlantic thing

Again, he says “REE-SEE” not “REE-SEES”. I don’t care about the vowel. He drops the plural and it makes me irrationally annoyed.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

someone who doesn't know what a possessive is probably shouldn't get that annoyed about pronunciation

Don’t have to know grammar to get mad about pronunciation! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I finally started listening to the Dracula arc. Two episodes in and I’m liking it as much as original Balance. Tons of goofs, super fun. And the background music is fantastic!