Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Heads up for anyone sitting on the page waiting for the stream to start:

It's not gonna do that, refresh the page. Hope I didn't miss much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

I haven't listened to Sawbones in ages, ever since it became more about modern medical boondoggles it just hasn't really interested me

I think this waiting between shows is gave me a new least-favorite non-country song.

. . .
No "My Life Is Better With You" is still more annoying to me.
(I always forget about it until after the "The McElroy Brothers Are Not Experts" lulls me into a false sense of security and I put away the phone)

Edit: That shorter version they just used was okay they should switch to that.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Little positivity:

"Intersnacktive" is the best word since "snackrifice"

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Pennsylvanian posted:

A Youtuber is making an edited/abridged version of Graduation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH-CM37sBh8

I'm not going to be all "McElroys, hire this man!" but I think it's an interesting listen if like me you found the pacing to be a bit weird (they cut up to 4 episodes at a time into a one hour block). I don't really notice what is removed a good amount of the time.

I suppose I should just listen to it sometime, but this feels like a fool's errand. All of the best parts of Graduation are stuff you'd cut for not being important, and most of the stuff that's actually important is all right at best.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Am I the only one who feels less like Devo has main character syndrome, and more like they picked an obviously Devo heavy mission for their second arc? I mean, it only makes sense for his background and stuff to come up a lot when they're literally working with the emotionally abusive people who raised him, I'm sure Amber and Zooks will get their focus stuff down the line.

I DO worry that doing an arc where Devo is justifiably hostile this early might set the tone for him, though. :ohdear:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

flesh dance posted:

Also didn't know this, figured they just got busy with other stuff and set it aside. If true it's stupid as gently caress while being entirely on brand :v:

Agree that it was getting tired, but it's been a whole year. Would love even a brief revisit at some point. That's what introduced me to the podcast and kinda remains my favorite thing they've done

I believe they said it was a combination of factors, including being busy, not a lot of games with good character creation coming out, feeling like it's sort of run it's course, and yes, saying that as they've grown the show had started to feel kind of mean to them and they started worrying about if someone actually kind of looked like one of their "monsters."

I still hope they bring it back at least for Elden Ring, they haven't skipped a Dark Souls yet and those are always cool.

But I mean I could be remembering wrong, I have memory problems and it's 5am.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
All of Justin's bits are good in moderation.

Munch Squad is no longer in moderation.
(It's still good when Count Donut shows up.)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Raccoonboy posted:

the wrestling one with the bad impressions sucks

Counter point: Macho Man impression saying the words "toxic masculinity."

It sucks as soon as that's over though.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Man, nobody talking about the "virtual liveshow" the other night? Well, I enjoyed it. :colbert:

Even if it did feel a bit long. . . maybe a little too much "vampires don't understand human things," even if the arguments over it were great.
Travis definitely works better running completely unhinged one-shots than a full series, at least. (In this case, a trio of vampires in a setting where everyone is a vampire and humans are just folklore searching a human's spooky ordinary house, encountering a vampire hunter, and also instead of rolling dice they play Jenga. Clint has never played Jenga before.)

I especially loved the bit where Justin started making up things about Humans and Travis, having already stated that human reflections could walk out of mirrors, just went with it. And the bit where Griffin vaped Clint

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
All of them are funny in the middle, with some good moments in the beginning and the end, less so near the end, and almost not at all for the last episode.

The funniest moment in this episode by far was literally a toilet joke.
Dylan is loving hilarious. Even the fact that he exists is funny.

I'm not entirely sure which is worse, Zooks not telling anyone about the Blink Sharks, or the entirely manufactured conflict between Koda (doesn't want anyone to go through the portal) and Amber (did not intend to go through the portal until Koda said not to.)

Captain France fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 30, 2022

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Zero One posted:

I am hyped about Justin DMing a game set in Disney World.

Also lol at Griffin telling people who forgot they were playing characters to gently caress off.

Not just DMing a game in Disney World, but a game about "scoundrels" chosen in part because Justin misses early Balance dickery.

(God remember them being a dick to Jenkins all arc?)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Sockser posted:

They talk about this in the wrap-up TTAZZ but I do not recall what the deal was

It was pretty much Clint being Clint, and that’s TAZ!

Zooks did not think Amber would take it well. At all.

Which still seems like something he should have made clear because I just assumed Clint forgot until Clint said that in TTAZ

QuoProQuid posted:

my mixed feelings toward travis aside, that's a little unfair because, as i recall, travis was open about devo being "a whiny rear end in a top hat" in character creation, in out of character moments in the podcast, and the TTAZs. there was even a moment in the game itself where Devo seemingly had an epiphany and started aspiring to be more level-headed and less impotently angry all the time.

it's just that instead of continuing that theme, Devo immediately regressed after every moment of growth. i suppose it's realistic, in a sense, but it's also very frustrating to listen to. the entire team dynamic becomes devo and amber resisting the urge to kill one another.

To be fair to Devo here, didn't Griffin kill his adopted mother who he had really complicated feelings about almost immediately after? That sort of thing does tend to derail self improvement. Maybe there should have been another arc in between so his regression was more clearly regression and not just not changing.

I mean, I enjoyed Ethersea, but I've enjoyed most of every season. Well, maybe most is too strong a word for Amnesty and Graduation. Some. A large amount. Everything involving Duck, Fitzroy, and the Firbolg at least.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Pladdicus posted:

they must do it offline, unrecorded
the lost blart.

Sankis posted:

the episode where they only use pirated copies and never mention the name of the movie or where you can see it

the fans need to lobby SAGAFTRA now for special permission for the boys so they can't escape. there must be no respite

They should do both of these, but record it and just not release it until the strike is over.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Sankis posted:

After thinking on it more I still really liked Steeplechase overall. Though the whole "hard light are sentient and people actually" thing felt unearned. I'd swear I remember Clint pushing that idea a few times early on only for Justin to shoot it down, specifically with the hard light guy in poppy's place. Unless I missed something, It just felt like it became the truth because everyone needs to have Their Thing they figure out and solve in the finale.

A more minor thing that annoyed me was Justin saying in the last few episodes that the soldiers had non-lethal guns. Just feels lazy. Having guns because that's scary!! but you also don't want anyone to die because thats a bummer.

I feel like the hard light thing was less a case of "Emmerich needs something" and more a combination of it being hard to stay on the "they're not people" line when Clint kept pushing it and it probably being a little uncomfortable to try to do so. Personally I think it would have been more funnier to go even harder on "they're not people" after Emmerich started giving them more moral value than human lives, but that could have gone bad and I can see why they didn't.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

True. Though actually I think Montrose felt pretty much like a criminal the whole way through, whole Beef and Emmerich felt like pretty good guys the whole time

I mean, Emmerich is a pretty meek scientist, and Beef wanted out for like half the show. Real "Montrose is a bad influence" vibe, which was certainly interesting.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
The DKC stream isn't making me wanna play the game as much as SMW did, but I do hope somebody with more dedication than me rips all the Griffin singing and assembles it into one song.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
TAZ probably peaked for comedy at the train, for balance in the 11th Hour, and I guess the Balance finale for drama but being the ending to a long series is basically cheating for me.

Besides that, it's never dropped below "pretty good," and Ethersea and Steeplechase were both great. I look forward to Clint DMing the next game because it means we can have a Justin PC and a Griffin PC without Travis DMing.

I also still enjoy MBMBAM and Victory McElroyale has been a nice chill stream since they started Mario, but I'm behind on Donkey Kong and having stumbled back into their Polygon Gameplay Overviews I think I'd rather have more of that.

But there's not really much I feel like posting about.

That 3Tenanny. Whoo boy. That was still fun the second time, kind of surprised Griffin being able to produce a flash of light to get a 4 dice roll to explode a robot's brain with the entire life's work of Tim Mcgraw all at once never came up a second time. Definitely looking forward to 4Tenanny, I would have bought a ticket but I am not paying $20 for a Virtual Live Show.

Edit: I forgot about the first couple episodes of Amnesty.
Those were bad, besides Duck.
Honestly Duck kind of carried Amnesty while Fitzroy and Firbolg carried Graduation, but never as much as those first couple episodes of Amnesty.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 18, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I totally get that, but most people that play the game probably aren't making money off of it. That's where I presume it would get a bit fuzzy

I gotta imagine it's with Marvel's blessing though. I actually was kinda into Clint's super hero game way back when, so I'm glad to see it come back. I'll have to listen to the episode though because someone playing as Miles feels like.. weird to me I guess? I guess just because that's such an established character with the spiderverse movies and the games to me at this point, since I haven't read comics in a long time

Clint's superhero game was a different one with an original setting.

Still, this is good so far.

Or I just feel seen by the CPAP joke.

edit to not double post --

Warbird posted:

I really really hope they pivot a bit and treat the characters a bit more like folks listening don’t read up on Marvel. I don’t know or care who Wonderman is. The pilot lady I’ve never heard of. It isn’t a huge deal but a sentence or two describing them would be appreciated.

I'll give a quick rundown of the characters, but two quick notes first:

1. Aside from Kate and Miles, these are all D-listers at best. The thing about D-listers is, unless you're several issues into a run where they're main characters, they don't actually expect you to already know about them.

2. Check your local library's website for the book! Might have it! I just read it today it's pretty good even if the best joke that wasn't just Thori existing was Miles telling a Norn who kept calling him "Man Of Spiders," "You know I'm not actually made of spiders, right? That's a different guy." Honestly it didn't clear THAT much up though.
--edit or you could probably :filez:. Or just skip it I guess.

Quick summary of events: There is a WAR OF THE REALMS going on, I do not know what that is. Baldur, Thor's brother, is tasked with taking his baby sister somewhere safe. He does this, teaming up with Thori, Miles, Kate, Wonder Man, Doctor Druid, and Dethlockett. Shenanigans ensue.

Characters:
Dethlockett: She's like Dethlok but a woman. I do not know who Dethlok is. She has cyborg powers?

Sebastian Druid: A D-List magic using former superhero with unspecified magic powers and a coat that's basically a Bag Of Holding full of stolen magic items. Retired from superheroing, currently a babysitter. His status in this podcast is basically a promotion from freelancer to nanny. The height of his superhero career is being on the list that one time Doctor Strange wanted to fake his retirement and make someone else Sorcerer Supreme. IIRC, he was passed over for Brother Voodoo. Played by Justin.

Thori The God-Dog: As far as I know he's original to this and the miniseries. He's a god dog from Asgard. If Griffin using his God Voice for a dog who is "powered by violence and Fancy Feast" does not have you immediately on board with this character I do not know why you are listening.

Wonder Man: An early member of the Avengers, a founding member of the West Coast Avengers, at one point while he was dead revealed to be the brain template for The Vision or something, Wonder Man should be a Big loving Deal. Much to his chagrin and contrary to his massive ego, he is not. Nobody gives a gently caress about Wonder Man. I think he has your normal flying strong dude powers? He is a pacifist and a D-List movie star now, also mostly retired from superheroing. Pretend he's Booster Gold or Johnny Cage but a pacifist and you're like 80% of the way there. Played by Travis doing his most Travis PC yet.

Kate Bishop / Hawkeye: You might already know who she is from an MCU show I didn't watch. I mostly know her from Matt Fraction's Hawkeye comic I read years ago and don't remember well. You know Hawkeye? She's like him but spunkier, more competent, and without the inferiority complex he sometimes has about being a guy with a bow on a team with a god. At one point a version of the New Avengers that included a bunch of her former teammates from the Young Avengers was very disappointed to get Guy Hawkeye instead of her.

Oh right also she bought Hawkeye's bow and took the name while he was pretending to be dead for a while, and refused to give either one back, so now there's two Hawkeyes. Played by guest Kate Welch.

Miles Morales / Spider-man: You probably already know who this is. If you don't, you definitely know who Peter Parker / Spider-man is. There's a lot more to it but you're 80% of the way there with "he grew up, he inspired another teenager with spider-powers to be a superhero, and he also calls himself Spider-man and acts like Spider-man and now there's two Spider-mans." Played by guest Gabe Hicks.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 3, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I amazed that they got Twenty Fungalore and Twenty Fun Galore, but not Twenty Fungal Lore: Time to learn about mushrooms.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Justin explicitly said no fungal lore!

He said no Fungalore Lore, Fungal Lore and Fun Gal Lore are both presumably fine. Unless it's Fungal Fun Gal Lore About Fungalore.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I mean it was on his sheet that Griffin approved. He's basically playing a Belmont, right? I assume the crossbow was going to be his Vampire Killer equivalent. . .

It was pretty funny though.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Well that sure was . . . something.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kazy posted:

On a long road trip I finally got around to TAZ v Dracula and :allears:

First time really enjoying a series this much since Balance.

Cannot wait for the music from this season to hit bandcamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Sounds familiar.
But not too familiar.

But not too not familar.