Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
wasn't the main reason people started getting mad at travis for performative wokeness recently the embarrassing among us monologue where he started talking about how the other players shouldn't be playing like bad people(goofing around in game) with all that's wrong in the world these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I understand that people were complaining about travis but a lot more of it happened after that, specifically wrt him being performative/hogging the spotlight

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

docbeard posted:

I could be misremembering, but isn't there some medical reason for Travis making That Face all the time rather than because he personally wants to annoy people in this thread?
is this bait

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lester Shy posted:

I think "performative wokeness" is mostly harmless, but I can understand being frustrated by it when Travis uses trauma-sensitive language to talk about how he's a middle brother so having to repeat himself is "triggering" or that scolding people for playing a video game wrong is "establishing boundaries." People struggle to have these concepts taken seriously, so I can see being annoyed when somebody appropriates them for something frivolous.
yeah it's mostly this, for me anyways

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah, there's a big gulf between a lot of the popular subreddits which are just aggregates, and niche subs which can be stuff like very specific game discussion or hate groups or something like AskHistorians which unlike normal 'ask' subs has a very high standard for what answers are allowed, leading to good and insightful content. (and also tons of deleted answers from people who aren't historians just posting something they heard online somewhere, who then get angry about why their comments are getting deleted)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
a few years ago lowtax, known woman beater, still owned this website

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
broadly speaking people love monster hunter

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

inferis posted:

if you played monster hunter before world and didn’t have a friend who pushed you into it and held your hand you hated it
I liked prep work and paintballs actually

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

some plague rats posted:

the hideous creature to my left
what do you have against bugsnax

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I'm probably in the minority with this opinion but I can't see ever giving TAZ another shot if they went free-form Mission to Zyxx style. For me, having the PC's be constrained by the rules of the game is the most interesting part of this type of podcast, so without that what little interest I have left in TAZ would just evaporate.
I agree with your premise, but like... that's already why I lost interest in TAZ. They stopped being constrained by the rules of the game to any meaningful degree a long time ago and have been constrained pretty much purely by GM fiat for most of the show.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

more falafel please posted:

might wanna spoiler that
not that that's a bad thing but who's gonna accidentally read paragraphs of text that are in direct response to a question asking for spoilers

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pham Nuwen posted:

(I googled "d&d human" and picked this dude, who actually loving owns... look at that armor, look at that spear; spears don't get nearly enough love in RPGs)
:hai:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

eke out posted:

also im p sure the 40 year old dudes in this thread are very much the exception and their average listener is 20something
I'm in my 20s and my little sister who is more of a listener than me hasn't even hit 20 yet

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think they still sometimes get into slightly disdainful riffs on hypothetical people... and then kind of collectively realize "oh, gently caress, we probably have some fans who are into this" and then backpedal: "Actually, that kinda sounds dope, to be honest". See the recent episode where they ripped on the "animal pack" wikihow, then realized they might be stirring up Furry Shitstorm 2.0 and clarified that they're obviously not talking about furries and actually the animal pack thing sounds pretty cool anyway.
yeah, broadly speaking when people say that the current stuff is less funny than it used to be, it's a combination of the show feeling very rote and also like they're handling everything with kids gloves. it's ok to make fun of things sometimes

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

MechaSeinfeld posted:

where the monster factory
in case this is a genuine question
https://twitter.com/merrittk/status/1449898076357922822

e: https://twitter.com/merrittk/status/1449899894689382405

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ok but if you by accident make content that's bad you can edit it out and try again. videos don't have to "veer" anywhere that you, the creator, are not ok with

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not saying that it's like, insane to stop producing the show because the content has gotten stale or whatever(or run out of good game candidates etc etc), I'm saying the (different)given reasons for stopping monster factory are pretty wack

in the games that do make for good monster factories it is in fact pretty easy to make bonkers looking characters that don't look like. some sort of harmful stereotype

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
cannot believe the hosts of the marital tour of misguided marriage would be so crass as to reveal that they are married

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
tom nook gives the player a completely interest free loan and does not deserve this slander

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

jeeves posted:

After reading about all of the fans' parasocial boundary problems the McElorys' run into (and honestly profit from), I have come to the honest conclusion that the way the Action Boyz handle the same thing is the best solution:

1. Constantly berate your audience
2. Want nothing to do with them including zero interaction
3. Mock and troll them mercilessly when they post stupid poo poo
I've realized over time that all my favorite online entertainers do this

large groups of people will inevitably have people acting in stupid and bizarre ways and you just need to tell them to gently caress off sometimes to keep them as a whole in check

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
inscryption whips rear end

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Alaois posted:

aaron earned an iron urn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9G9o4yNjwo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Entropic posted:

i was waiting for the twist / punchline the whole time watching this and it never came. :geno:
some people just can't appreciate art

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

inferis posted:

most genre names are fake and made up after the fact like that, but they still refer to a specific thing, see also:triphop, idm, freak folk, etc etc
maybe you only think that because you're using examples like "freak folk" that no normal people say

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
spelunky is incredibly loving good

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Warbird posted:

Has Travis done anything stupid but ultimately harmless recently? I feel like we haven’t been mad about Travis in a hot minute.

https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/1534611694353358848

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
normally people are talking about like, irl stuff with actual negative consequences when they call stuff "toxic"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ok Comboomer posted:

people wanna poo poo all over Travis and blame him for TAZ being bad, but they forget that Griffin’s DM’ing and worldbuilding peaked with Barry Bluejeans
they also want to forget justin being incredibly low energy and uninvested, trying to do the least RPing possible in almost any given scene

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you can't realistically blame that on a nat 1. griffin just can't help himself or something

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

"it's completely normal for the 30+ year old married man to be a horny reply guy, he's simply being extremely nice to his friends who just so happen to be younger women posting selfies on twitter" :classiclol:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you are sort of missing my actual point which is that what he is doing/saying is absolutely not "completely normal"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
travis is the annoying sort of guy whose interpretation of "sex positivity" is basically why the movement writ large has been dead for like half a decade

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

yeah actually they will posted:

are you a cockney youth
seems normal to me as a midwesterner to say it without a second T sound, especially if there's another number after
like by itself I'm a bit more likely to pronounce it "twenty" but "twenty-two" kinda blends together into "twunny-two"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sankis posted:

The boys streamed Lethal Company but before you get excited or think it might be fun they did it without proximity chat and missed the entire point. They said it doesn't make for good streaming.
am I out of touch? no, it's the children that are wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ivypls posted:

griffin is the only brother still resisting clint-ification
Well, Travis is resisting. Not succeeding, but resisting.