Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you Serra Angel?
Yes, I am definitely Serra Angel. I can post here.
No, I am not Serra Angel. I can still post here, unfortunately.
View Results

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

First Outriders and now Magic Legends. What game will ICR curse bless next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

LordSaturn posted:

I really wonder why people think the game will close. like, what's your business case for this

admittedly wrong about this, but it still lasted longer than most predictions itt.

Kalli posted:

Some interesting ideas, executed very poorly.

:same:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly if anything there was a lot of restraint in waiting this long to shut it down. :v:

It was a good run, can't wait for the next ICR thread.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
lmao they didn’t even make it to launch

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Should've mulligan'd

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

People just wanted Diablo in the Magic universe and they couldn't get that very basic concept right.

Every developer who keeps insisting on these destiny style overworld zones with mmo style quests just needs to go work in a different industry. No ones likes it and this game was just so boring.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I wanted shandalar 2.0 so badly

This game was not that

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Holy poo poo. Incredible. I’m so glad I got to experience what will probably be the worst game “launch” of this decade.

The player counts and incoming revenue must have been truly abysmal for them to pull the plug rather than float the corpse for another year.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Here's to hoping the Marvel Heroes people find a home one day.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Seriously, I just want some nonsense I can see loot splosions in while I listen to podcasts after a hard day in the coding mines.

loving give me back Marvel Heroes you bastards

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol :rip:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Surprised it's a shutting-this-down and not a back-to-the-drawing-board

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I used to work at a small company called Octopi that was purchased by Sony Online Entertainment (for some reason). Early on, they nearly gave us a project which would have been a Magic the Gathering tactics game (a la Pox Nora), but at the last minute they decided to give it to the Denver studio even though the Denver studio had only made those complicated as poo poo card games for EQ and SWG. I guess they thought they knew what they were doing and we were unproven? Those guys always thought they were hot poo poo even though the only reason people played them was for the loot cards. Anyway, the Denver studio promised they could get the game out for ps3 as well as pc in full 3d and have it be this tactical + cards mashup. Their studio had experience in none of those things. Our studio was put on Facebook games. Our first one came out as a promotional game to go alongside The Agency. The facebook game came out right when the Facebook game bubble burst, and the mmo was canceled when they realized that the studio had literally nothing and were sending bullshit videos to bamboozle smed. SOE Denver launched Magic The Gathering - Tactics more than a year behind schedule, and it was such a wreck that SOE didn't actually advertise it. I think they only released it because they were contractually obligated to.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Magic the Gathering IP is cursed for online games other than straight interpretations of the card game. Let this be another warning.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 29, 2021

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Cutedge posted:

I used to work at a small company called Octopi
Holy poo poo, that takes me back. I used to run one of the bigger forums stores before those all got shut down.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just hoping they can cycle resources back into Neverwinter and Star Trek Online rather than laying people off, but I know I'm being unrealistic there. :(

edit: gently caress

https://twitter.com/StevenJSharif/status/1409964891906084865

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 29, 2021

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cutedge posted:

I'm just hoping they can cycle resources back into Neverwinter and Star Trek Online rather than laying people off, but I know I'm being unrealistic there. :(

Pretty sure that Neverwinter has begun it's death spiral. As for STO, they pretty much just make new Risan Luxury Liners to sell to the whales.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kalli posted:

Seriously, I just want some nonsense I can see loot splosions in while I listen to podcasts after a hard day in the coding mines.

loving give me back Marvel Heroes you bastards

Last Epoch is surprisingly fun so far, but it's still early access and multiplayer isn't expected until this winter last I heard

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gynovore posted:

Pretty sure that Neverwinter has begun it's death spiral. As for STO, they pretty much just make new Risan Luxury Liners to sell to the whales.

Neverwinter is adding a new class and redoing levels entirely in the next update so I don't think it's that spirally just yet

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
This must have been performing insanely badly to get shutdown, when Champions is still getting small updates and events.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ready to kill New World now.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

AngryBooch posted:

lmao WotC.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I actually can't think of any specific example of a service game being shut down this fast. Maybe I've vaguely heard of it happening in the mobile space.

The game was awful, so I'm not surprised at all at that an executive balked at the money vortex that would be required to *maybe* make this game able to retain players (let alone attract new ones).

I know it's not unusual for some games to go through an awkward phase where they run like poo poo and are only fun for a few seconds at a time, before everything can click into place and be polished in the final stretch of development. I'm not sure any amount of time or money could have saved them from some of the mistakes they made. Performance optimization alone was so bad it felt like they must have screwed up something fundamental from the very beginning when building the game (like using their horrible in-house engine).

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
lmao, light em up Renaud

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

I really wonder why people think the game will close. like, what's your business case for this

This was the post it went to when I clicked on new posts just now. RIP

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

boo_radley posted:

lmao, light em up Renaud

Who is this?

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Cutedge posted:

I used to work at a small company called Octopi that was purchased by Sony Online Entertainment (for some reason). Early on, they nearly gave us a project which would have been a Magic the Gathering tactics game (a la Pox Nora), but at the last minute they decided to give it to the Denver studio even though the Denver studio had only made those complicated as poo poo card games for EQ and SWG. I guess they thought they knew what they were doing and we were unproven? Those guys always thought they were hot poo poo even though the only reason people played them was for the loot cards. Anyway, the Denver studio promised they could get the game out for ps3 as well as pc in full 3d and have it be this tactical + cards mashup. Their studio had experience in none of those things. Our studio was put on Facebook games. Our first one came out as a promotional game to go alongside The Agency. The facebook game came out right when the Facebook game bubble burst, and the mmo was canceled when they realized that the studio had literally nothing and were sending bullshit videos to bamboozle smed. SOE Denver launched Magic The Gathering - Tactics more than a year behind schedule, and it was such a wreck that SOE didn't actually advertise it. I think they only released it because they were contractually obligated to.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Magic the Gathering IP is cursed for online games other than straight interpretations of the card game. Let this be another warning.

Thanks for the dope story. I didn't even know there was a Magic tactics game published by SOE lol. What a disaster.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Scoss posted:

I actually can't think of any specific example of a service game being shut down this fast. Maybe I've vaguely heard of it happening in the mobile space.

The game was awful, so I'm not surprised at all at that an executive balked at the money vortex that would be required to *maybe* make this game able to retain players (let alone attract new ones).

I know it's not unusual for some games to go through an awkward phase where they run like poo poo and are only fun for a few seconds at a time, before everything can click into place and be polished in the final stretch of development. I'm not sure any amount of time or money could have saved them from some of the mistakes they made. Performance optimization alone was so bad it felt like they must have screwed up something fundamental from the very beginning when building the game (like using their horrible in-house engine).

I think Amazon un-releasing whatever the gently caress that thing was called.... Crucible? probably wins that contest. That card game Artifact also probably deserves a mention because Steam carries a bit more oomph

I feel like what this game needed first and foremost was a way more granulated difficulty system. As is you'd play a character, get through your first zone, just equipping whatever and using spells as they came up and never feeling challenged. Then the game would send you to... one of the other 4 starting areas but too low level to up the difficulty, so if you somehow got through the first boring ~6 hours or whatever, you were greeted with an even more brain dead boring experience.

Like I think this game had fixable problems, but it made such an incredibly poor first impression that nobody stuck around to see if it would get better.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I think both Crucible was probably still beaten by the original launch of APB, where they launched it and shut it down within 30 days if I recall correctly.

edit: it was 2 months.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 30, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cutedge posted:

I think both Crucible was probably still beaten by the original launch of APB, where they launched it and shut it down within 30 days if I recall correctly.

APB was actually around longer than Crucible, by around six or seven days IIRC. 42 vs 49 I wanna say. There's a few things in the like two to three month range, almost entirely MMOs but I think APB and Crucible take the extremely exciting dual crown for service games dead in under two months.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The team that oversaw this on the wizards side is the same one that oversaw dark alliance. The VP in charge has been running it for like 3 or 4 years and has nothing to show for it. The tabletop team is apparently accusing him of "ruining the summer of drizzt" with his lovely game, so that dude's projects are probably all getting rolled up now.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 30, 2021

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

The team that oversaw this on the wizards side is the same one that oversaw dark alliance.

Lol, pretty good track record there.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
*places envelope to forehead* I predict.... a Magic: Spellslingers cancellation!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you get the license to make a MTG ARPG, why the gently caress would you get experimental with the design??? Just make a generic-rear end dungeon crawler/looter with Magic enemies and abilities, this is a license to print money! What a missed opportunity.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
ICR really knows how to pick 'em

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cutedge posted:

APB, man that takes me back, going to have to find the chill loading screen music on YT now. I remember putting crazy effort into getting into the early access days. Great character editor, I feel like they could maybe have sold the tech?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Bardeh posted:

If you get the license to make a MTG ARPG, why the gently caress would you get experimental with the design??? Just make a generic-rear end dungeon crawler/looter with Magic enemies and abilities, this is a license to print money! What a missed opportunity.

100%. They should have just themed the abilities and resources, had a system where you could build a single color or multicolor skill set, and not had the bizarre overworld and difficulty systems. They could have even still had a collectible-Ish skill system by having skills be drops you learn.

However, they tried to do a dozen different things and didn’t stick the landing on a single one. And on top of that, the performance was dogshit and the story was terrible. There was nothing redeeming about the game at all.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

30.5 Days posted:

The team that oversaw this on the wizards side is the same one that oversaw dark alliance. The VP in charge has been running it for like 3 or 4 years and has nothing to show for it. The tabletop team is apparently accusing him of "ruining the summer of drizzt" with his lovely game, so that dude's projects are probably all getting rolled up now.

lol

hot drizzt summer

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ICR is becoming stronger, able to kill games before they are even born.

All of those sparks he gathers and puts them into Last Epoch

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

They should just hire Creative Assembly to make Total War: Forgotten Realms or whatever. I'd be down for Warhammer Total War except I can play as Illithids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

They should just hire Creative Assembly to make Total War: Forgotten Realms or whatever. I'd be down for Warhammer Total War except I can play as Illithids

that would require WotC to be willing to spend some of the piles of money they're hoarding