Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Has there been any mod action on xinjiang stuff? I haven't seen anything and I post a lot in the east asia / succ threads.

E: answered above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

As a corollary, start ramping up probes for any apologists for the US penal or immigration systems.

literally no one does this in cspam. Every time xinjiang comes up people invent these US apologists that don't exist here to handwave / justify their own dismissal of the topic

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The only point I will give to China w/r/t their camps is that mainstream Islam is essentially under siege by Wahhabists funded by the Sauds, and they love throwing money at random groups to spread their faith no matter how dangerous those groups may be.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Judakel posted:

Under the control of China, that class system does not return.

This post also sucks, because it denies the Tibetans any autonomy and dictates the Chinese takeover in '50 as essentially 'bringing civilization to the savages'. Like it comes with a very heavy implication that Tibet could never and would never by itself throw off the theocracy, and it needed a foreign hand to do so.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

OK baizuo posted:

Stop being so obviously disingenuous by equating re-education to extermination.

Getting over the "authoritarianism is inherently bad (except when it's within a private capitalist institution by its owners!)" is the last great neoliberal brainworm, good luck friend.

Not MY brownshirts, says the rereg

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

the Grayzone guys are fueled by their hatred of Trotskyism, if they managed to get paid by Russia while carrying out their posting feuds good for them.

Owning the communists by supporting and being funded by an extremely corrupt oligarchal government

This is why you can't trust stalinists folks.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

We know that the camps exist, and we know that they're "re-education camps" designed to "prevent terrorism" by "eradicating dangerous beliefs". That's straight from the chinese government.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

I am actually saying that there is no genocide, cultural or otherwise in Xinjiang. I firmly believe that China is doing counter-terrorism stuff and are going way to heavy handed crossing the line(by a fair bit) into human rights abuses but that is not the same as genocide.

A lot of people agree with you that it isn't a 'genocide' but it's designed to homogenize and culturally assimilate a smaller minority, similarly to the reservation school poo poo the US did

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

While also giving grants to preserve the culture?

The US has an entire government division for this, yeah. ;)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Serf posted:

the more i think about it, the more i agree with that poster from earlier. if we can't agree on sources of information then our realities do not intersect, and i'm not sure what sort of useful interactions can come out of that

Having a thread about it for people to talk about it even if no one is convinced of anything helps take the pressure off and removes an otherwise touchy topic from other threads, at the very least.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

whoopsie-doodle

The worst part about the japanese camps is that I've been to towns in appalachia that are in worse condition

This country loving sucks

fanfic insert posted:

So explain how this works in China then, how are they trying to destroy the culture by first giving them decades of grants to standardize their script and language(which is different from the majority Han) only to then decades later turn around to start destroying it while also simultaneously keep giving grants to cultural centers? Are they forcing them to spend the grants on secretly embedding anti-Islam messaging in their textbooks or something? Was giving them exemptions from the 1 child policy also a plan to overpopulate them so they'd all starve or something? I don't understand how this is suppose to destroy the culture, which is what people are claiming the genocide is about.

There's a lot of ways you can frame things using museums to notate traditional culture as being 'outdated and archaic' and reinforce whatever modern beliefs are, and you can do similar things with textbooks in order to reinforce a specific narrative that you're looking to build. The US did it by starving out these groups, but also used framing to enforce their systems on these groups.

It's also not super weird that the opinion on these minority groups changed, since the opinion on a lot of things have shifted over time with the Party since Mao, currently landing in Xi's heavily nationalistic government

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ultimately a lot of it comes down to whether or not you personally trust the chinese government and that's going to color all of your interactions and readings of information, both from them and other groups. That's not really something this thread is going to fix tho lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Serf posted:

that was my initial thought about this thread. and if it's true then lol so be it

I think this is just to get people to burn out on the issue and make it so it stops straying outside of non-asia threads :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so just to summarize before i gently caress off to make lunch and play video games

things with broad agreement:
human right abuses are occurring in xinjiang perpetuated by the government of the PRC
uighur cultural identity is being corroded by a multitude of forces, some intentional some not
that efforts by the US government to end the human right abuses will only make things worse

things without broad agreement:
the degree of the human right abuses

correct? incorrect?

This sounds about right yeah

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Varinn posted:

im talking about actions against states, lol. nobody gives a poo poo about pompeo being sanctioned. poo poo like what we're doing to iran

You can't really do broad sanctions against nuclear states. It's why you've only seen individual sanctions for China and Iran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Outer Mongolia, aka Mongolia, was a province of China up until 1911 when they declared independence; China eventually recognized them in '46 after pressure from Stalin but the total country was split with the PRC taking 'inner Mongolia'. You could easily argue that Mongolia should be treated like Tibet, Taiwan, etc and be considered a rogue Chinese state, however.

The only reason they're a separate state is because of Soviet intervention and backing; a 'Soviet Colony State', if you will ;)