Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If you want to call it genocide then everything should be called genocide. It's insane that a mention of China gets a "bu bu genocide" as some kind of an own when USA is carrying out multiple genocides by the same standard.

Edit: Also obviously this applies to Canada and other countries. I am not keeping a running taly of all the genocides they are doing. It's probably a lot.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Mar 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gringostar posted:

is anyone in cspam not actively calling out what the us is doing along it’s southern boarder to migrants genocide?

or for that matter what ever evil any other country is doing?

The econ thread I got probed was derailed because some d&d poster made a "lul genocide" comment.

It took a few hours for someone to take that bait but the thread broke down into projection and poo poo flinging.

It was purely ideological and there was no discussion because everyone already firmly made up their minds.

This is how it started.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

china is going to gently caress us very hard and they won't even have to lift a finger to do it

Accretionist posted:

Uncle Xi, my country yearns for leadership

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Uncle Xi's idea of leadership is to genocide dissenters though, so you're gonna have to be on your best behavior!

Maybe I am just imagining it, but to me it seems like some poster from America getting a bit defensive and the whole derail wasn't in good faith from the start.

So I don't see how you can expect everyone to make effort good faith posts all the time when one side just makes dumb poo poo posts and you get probed for disagreeing with them.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gringostar posted:

bolded the problem for you

also lol if you expect everyone to make effort or good faith posts all the time or being upset about getting probated over the slightest thing in cspam

cspam isn’t d&d which is both good and bad especially since the :airquote:serious:airquote: politics forum is now actively discouraging actual debate and discussion on things like cultural genocide in xinjiang but that’s unfortunately an issue that cspam has zero control over

Yeah the problem is that all of the above happened in a cspam thread.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

THS posted:

hopefully this is a honeypot and tomorrow we all get perma-banned. finally free

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I don't think you need to have a single source you can trust.

The same way the whole genocide argument is dubious due to a few questionable sources, it would also be more believable if there were reports from a large number of more believable individuals or outlets.

There really doesn't need to be one person that says "This is exactly what is happening" and we trust them.

It's not like the narrative for "America is hostile to China" is based on a single piece of evidence. It's just a pattern you can see form over past several years with mass media stories and people serving in the military talking about how that's the future enemy.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

:sickos:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he works for the organization that lists the nazis as victims of communism

At least they are right about something.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

THS posted:

read posts on reddit (dont read reddit) and the uhh “discourse” on china is quite something

Seems like the usual blood lust and war mongering to me.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dustcat posted:

I'm taking care to say "cultural genocide" now because that's been a big point of confusion that angries up people's blood. I think you're talking about cultural genocide too, here, because of course nobody thinks getting put in a boarding school is the same as getting taken to an extermination camp.

Except as mentioned, cultural genocide is genocide. The European settlers did horrible things to the people who lived in America. Some of those things are called cultural genocide, so there's an element of white guilt that says whatever is happening over there is just as bad as the things that were done over here.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dustcat posted:

I wish you and others would stop trying to imply that anybody here is denouncing cultural genocide in china out of "white guilt" or out of a need to deflect from the atrocities committed by the United States in the past or ongoing today. We're not.

I am not implying it and I am not deflecting.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my understanding is that line of division is that genocide involves killing or creating conditions that hasten death
That's a really broad line and you can just then look at life expectancy statistics for a country by race and call that genocide. Which, sure I guess is also true, but that makes things even more complicated.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dustcat posted:

How else would one read this though:

I think your "I am not deflecting" must be a language barrier issue because obviously I wasn't accusing you of deflecting from the atrocities committed by the United States.

Fine, I guess it could be some projection on my part since I live in Canada.

Here cultural genocide is a cudgel to use on your enemies, to accuse them of racism and bigotry. It's entirely performative and the first nations are still oppressed by settlers and nobody really cares.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Barbarism equals oligarch power plus the Jokerfication of the countryside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

i don't care if you're right or wrong about this. be careful how you talk about it

Could have just said this was always about thought police.