Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

I agree that the mods should be taking a looser moderation role in this. I think I was coming down too hard and hamfisted before.

I'm not sure I agree that the rising tensions and sinophobia are really relevant here though. I think C-SPAM posters can separate criticism of China's government from anti-Chinese prejudice or a desire for intervention.

"i dont know anything about china but something bad is almost certainly happening" is a kind of sinophobia. its both the Inscrutable trope AND its a display of internalized prejudices against east asians who have been painted, historically, as valuing life less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah between the destruction of mosques and cemeteries which there is satellite photo evidence of it should be very hard to claim that china is not suppressing uighur cultural identity

cmon man this has been completely debunked. in fact the number of mosques in xinjiang has exploded over the past few decades

there is no way that their anti-extremism campaign isnt full of abuses though. people are flawed and lovely the world over and there are likely tons of innocent people getting profiled and targeted due to its heavy handedness. acab, etc

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

even if we want to take bellingcat and the guardian seriously (lol) there are 24,000 mosques in xinjiang alone.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

this post reveals the next level of the Xinjiang discussion, which is debating Islamic theology.

using general ignorance of islam, treating them as a monolith, has been immensely helpful for their propaganda campaign

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ramadan-china/exiles-angered-as-china-holds-beer-festival-in-muslim-county-idUSKBN0P20L620150622

quote:

Dilxat Raxit, spokesman for the exiled group the World Uyghur Congress, condemned the event.

“This is an open provocation to the Islamic faith,” he said in an emailed statement.

https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/1004892946045415424

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_in_China#Xinjiang

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The attempted murder of the Vice President and the large majority of Congress is, in fact, an attempted coup.

nope lol

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Is Kim Jong Un also the victim of anti-communist lies?

wtf kind of dumbass question is this lol

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

iirc 2016-2017 was about when the first rumblings of concentration camps/organ harvesting/forced pork eating, etc etc started

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

even when "china was gonna take over the world" it was always just treated like mandarin was gonna become the lingua franca or some poo poo, and nothing else would change much

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

BrainDance posted:

This is a good example of the issue. The US government line is bullshit manufactured consent nonsense meant to provoke hostility towards China so they can get away with whatever.

But, so is what's coming out of China, just in the other way. Like half of this post is so insanely untrue about China, so clearly so that I think you could figure it out from a layover in Beijing. But it's a lot more effective on C-Spam because you can't really expect most of an English speaking forum to be in China or something.

We should probably be critical of US and any other state backed reporting, entirely, on everything, and probably mod with that in mind. It makes sense to me for that to be the right way to do things in a leftist forum.

nah that is pretty much all true with the exception of healthcare which is a convoluted multi payer mess depending on the region, but still so much preferable to what we have here. also healthcare, like education is something that china hasnt come close to achieving parity with the US

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

BrainDance posted:

That's a very big exception though, especially the way it was described compared to the reality of Chinese healthcare. I imagine someone describing the ACA as meaning the same for America, and how ridiculous that would sound. It's subsidized to some extent in every province, which is great I guess, but far from accessible given the wages of Chinese people outside Shanghai. I can't think of a province where this is not true, but maybe some of the far western regions have special schemes?

yeah its not something to admire or anything, but even with their economic growth and reaching/surpassing the US in many ways, there are still areas where they are considered a developing country. because they are! it shouldnt be a mark against them until they start moving backwards

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

That's a Buddhist monk protesting what he saw as persecution by the Catholic leadership of South Vietnam.

lmao

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

fanfic insert posted:

(as well as being in the sphere of a state with actual values and not just empty words that everyone brings their own meaning to).

youre definitely gonna get jumped on for this, rip, but you're not wrong. biden, macron, merkel, bolsonaro, trump, etc, etc, they are all who they say they are. they do not hide their values or the horrible things they believe in. why would the Xi and the CPC be different? they dont even have to campaign or anything!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol the Rguy "genocide denialism" is basically just poo poo that gradenko, brutalisst, ths, myself, etc have posted itt

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

if you go back to the beginning of the Eurasia thread its p much just homex and pener kropoopkin arguing with gbs racists and baloogan, it owns

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Nix Panicus posted:

Guyovitch took it a step beyond being skeptical the Chinese were filling the hillsides with bodies and insisted everything was fine, everyone actually loved it in their new luxury condos, they were just out of frame, smiling. They did the same with any other criticisms of communist countries. Nobody was ever forcibly relocated or purged, they had all just decided to pack their bags and get some fresh air in the countryside and didn't leave a forwarding address

free homex

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

look i know everything im told is corporate media/state dept lies, but my belief that china is doing a genocide is unwavering. not everyone is brave enough to say this

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

THS posted:

well you dont want to be called a genocide denier. get on the china-condemner bus with everyone else. if you’re proven wrong later, whatever, you can jump on the next narrative designed to make the enemies of the US into the great nazi evil which must be confronted with sanctions and more military spending. will that escalate into a war? maybe! i promise to join the anti-war protests after supporting each and every overblown justification and state dept narrative along the way

sadly this is the only charitable explanation for it. the other two i can think of is

-the babybrained notion that monstrous evil lurks inside the very conceit of state power and will be unleashed whenever it gets strong enough

-racism

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

love too be a China watcher

lmao every loving time

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Junkozeyne posted:

The point is that he used a completely wrong statistic to arrive at his conclusion without bothering to do his own research. By that methodology why not claim ~25million Uighurs are in camps since as everyone knows China puts Uighurs in camps and there are that many Uighurs in Xinjiang.

shocking new report that the CCP is multiplying the uighur population by putting their minds into those black mirror egg torture devices. this appalling and i condemn it

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol this is using that same zenz 8 interview data point. c'mon

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Dolphin posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN1KV1SU

Are we also throwing out this report from the UN human rights panel?

lmao

quote:

The allegations came from multiple sources, including activist group Chinese Human Rights Defenders, which said in a report last month that 21 percent of all arrests recorded in China in 2017 were in Xinjiang.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Dolphin posted:

this whole thing could easily be cleared up by letting reporters tour the facilities. I'm sure it's just a big misunderstanding.

they have

https://medium.com/@sunfeiyang/breaking-down-the-bbcs-visit-to-hotan-xinjiang-e284934a7aab

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

anyone pushing for an East Turkistan should be viewed like they just admitted they are pro ISIS

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

As someone who consumes media, especially if you are a leftist you have to be mindful of the biases that are coming from media. We've seen time and time again, western media manufacture consent for American imperialism. You should be dubious of it by now.

People keep on pointing out the sources because it's very telling that all roads lead to the same end source. A born again evangelical who believes that god has chosen him and the US to destroy the CPC, doesn't speak a lick of Chinese, and is part of a "scholar" of the Victims of Communism foundation. The same foundation that wanted to mark all nazi deaths in ww2 and coronavirus deaths as victims of communism. How on earth can you trust someone like that?

if you actually dig into zenz's actual reports, they are a lot less sinister than most of the headlines, and if you are able to notice all his contradictions you can get some actual knowledge of the CPC's policies. like he'll assert that uyghur language is being suppressed in schools but then go on to more or less accurately describe what is essentially the formation of a bilingual program. or how xinjiang has been opening child concentration camps but then describes what are actually just normal boarding schools but with walled compounds (which are not unusual in china whatsoever)

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

kind of like how if you want accurate reporting on china's economic systems, the WSJ and FT can actually be good sources if you can ignore the language that supposed to terrify you

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Dolphin posted:

no, i don't want them to do that. I've been fairly consistent in my assertion that there are a ton of reports and allegations that you may doubt the veracity of, but there's a difference between skepticism and outright denial which is what you guys are doing. there was a poster earlier just googling the authors to do a character assassination and go "cia. next." like it's not academic and no you guys don't have research skills, there's nothing logical about this

have you considered that you might have some deep seated orientalist views that allow "something bad must be happening" to be such a core belief despite no evidence? like im honestly not trying to pull a gotcha or accuse you of being a chud or anything but sinophobia is so subtle and insidious, we've been indoctrinated to see east asians as putting less value on human life, basically monsterizing them to the point that these wild accusations can seem plausible with no introspection

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lmao now flavius is the genocide denial mod

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

that was the covid thread, which incidentally, last winter, was the most racist ive ever seen cspam since back when we had actual trump voters here

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

it was really not dissimilar to the current discussion where you hear about some horrific thing china is doing, like welding apartments shut or stuffing ppl into covid death cube and without fail it ended up being some doctored/out of context video from falun gong

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

So there are internment camps and boarding schools and the chinese government itself is saying it's trying to change the culture of these people.

That sure seems an awful lot like the american or canadian residential school system for natives, which is considered a textbook example of a cultural genocide. I don't see how this is significantly different. Like why do you need to be taking kids and putting them into 'boarding schools'

boarding schools are just common in china. its just compulsory education with dormitory living.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

its easy to paint these buildings as scary and authoritarian because they have concrete walls surrounding the campus with security cameras and guards, and sometimes even barbed wire, but besides the grey walls that also describes the elementary school down my street

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

OK baizuo posted:

Cya all on bread & roses

uhhhh lol

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

I'm told that bread & roses summarily banned a very informative Chinese poster for having the wrong opinion on Xinjiang.

yeah lol its basically a white supremacist forum that drives away any minority voices or anyone who doesnt follow anarcho-lib-statedepartmentalist thought

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

It might be worthwhile to look up the main definitions used for genocide because you very emphatically do not need a literal holocaust-type extermination system to be a genocide by every major definition. Considering china itself has officially acknowleded that they're trying to stamp out uighur culture and forcibly assimilate them via re-education and occupational training, idk how you dispute that when that's what china is doing according to their own official account of the purposes of the camps meets the definition of genocide.

Like that's before even touching foreign sources or anything else, the official story that they're choosing to push for what they're doing is already horrifying.

no they havent. they are trying to stamp out the creeping wahhabist elements coming over the border, which im not going to claim isnt rife with abuses. but picking up some uighur kid because his cousin traveled to syria and making him denounce ETIM, while extremely heavyhanded doesnt even reach "cultural repression"

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Mentioning that they are engaging in collective punishment does not really help your case here

collective punishment isnt whats happening, its more like they are using even the most tenuous ties to potential terrorists to try to stop more people getting radicalized. obviously this is going to lead to numbers of innocent people getting swept up, having their lifes ruined, who knows what else.

Baykin posted:

I think this is honestly the root of the whole issue. I also don't have a clue what to do about such a thing, but thankfully I'm just some dweeb on a forum. Assuming we take China at their word of wanting to help this population remove itself from those issues in the first place, how does that actually take place? I absolutely don't like how it sounds its being handled, but are there historical examples of other tactics working? Asking because I'm truly curious, even though I am in general coming down more on China's side than not.

yeah its a lovely damned-if-you-do situation all around

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

bunches of innocent people getting swept up merely for having some kind of suspected association to someone assumed to be guilty is definitionally collective punishment though

oh my bad i thought you were referring to the claims of indiscriminately rounding up all uighurs for the sins of a few

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what is even the debate/argument about tianamen square that that one poster keeps keeping getting probated about? that nothing happened in the square and everyone had a very nice day?

according to the Reuters correspondent who was there at the time there was in fact no massacre in tianenman square, all the fighting and deaths happened elsewhere around beijing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so quibbling about the location of corpses? sounds like a wonderful use of time

well also the number of them, and how they're split between protesters and PLA