Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

I don't really know where the line should be drawn but I feel like there's a lot of acreage between endorsing or justifying the wide-spread repression of an ethnic minority (obviously gross and bad), quibbling about the evidence (okay in the context of the entire case for genocide resting on the 'research' of one right-wing nutcase), and questioning whether the U.S' claims of genocide would be in play with any country in the world it wasn't trying to regime change (a good and valuable discussion to have).

I guess I don't get why U.S. propaganda about what's taking place inside China should be the mod-sponsored law of the land in this supposedly left wing-oriented forum, at least let us fight and argue about it maybe we'll all learn something new from doing so???

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is a good post, i'd add that Brutalist McDonalds was a mod for quite a while and no one was complaining about him.
probably because Brutalist would talk things over with the community, which I would like to very optimistically take this thread as a signal that the remaining mods will try to do more often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

I can't believe I allowed the Xinjiang and ALD controversies to distract me from the true outrage in C-SPAM moderation: Dustcat thinks a bunch of used car dealers and realtors nearly magically became our coup government by stepping foot on the floors of the capitol

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Gringostar posted:

im sure a global pandemic that originated in china has literally no bearing on these numbers at all

lmao it goes up to 60/26 unfavorable in 2019, do you think people then were subconsciously sensing that covid would break out the next year or do you think there might be some other explanations?

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Is Kim Jong Un also the victim of anti-communist lies?
is this satire

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Because of covid, you loving moron.

why do you think the american public's view of china jumped to 60/29 unfavorable a year before the pandemic, SpiderHyphenMan

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Also interesting to note that back in the late 80s/early 90s there was a huge amount of discussion in US politics and newspapers etc about Japan overtaking the U.S's economy, and subsequently the American public's dislike for Japan grew immensely until their economy went into perma-slump and everyone warmed up to the country.

It's almost like the U.S. reacts really badly to perceived threats to its hegemony

Gringostar posted:

considering the spike started to occur after 2016 i can’t think of a single other explanation

https://youtu.be/RDrfE9I8_hs

not a one
Ohhhhhh, you think Trump is a bizarre historical aberration, and not just articulating the bipartisan consensus on China in a particularly crude and vulgar manner. It all makes sense now.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

Put quite simply if what the Chinese are doing to their own citizens was being done to Americans by Americans other Americans would rightfully call it a genocide.

lol

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Dolphin posted:

No one in Cspam defends this. It's also extremely stupid to equate the two. There's a much better example under FDR.

Dolphin posted:

the concentration camps are an evil unto themselves, but the ones south could not be reasonable construed as a genocide.

Dolphin posted:

yes they are.
I like this trend of people saying "what's up with the false equivalences, nobody in CSPAM denies that the USA sucks!" and then IMMEDIATELY launching into some American exceptionalism bullshit about how what China's doing is so extraordinary and incomparable to the US' very understandable and reasonable use of concentration camps

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Dolphin posted:

actually i equated them directly to something the us did so this is some bad faith bullshit

Why do you feel so confident that there's a genocide in Xinjiang and not on the U.S. Southern border? What's your methodology or evidence you're relying on?

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

look i know everything im told is corporate media/state dept lies, but my belief that china is doing a genocide is unwavering. not everyone is brave enough to say this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

THS posted:

hopefully this is a honeypot and tomorrow we all get perma-banned. finally free