Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

One my favourite games at the euros is to try and work out which bang average player from a mid table club is going to put together 4 or 5 good performances and have all the big clubs desperate to sign him to a mega contract

I will never forget Hal Robson-Kanu's time in the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Average Lettuce posted:

I was wondering who the betting markets think are going to win the whole thing, and they have England on par with France, which is kinda surprising.

England are definitely as good as the reigning World Cup champions, which is why it's coming home

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
We used an advanced model based on calculating how many goals a team scores versus how many it concedes, and determined that the team that concedes the fewest and scores the most will probably win the game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I would take an octopus's predictions over Goldman Sachs's

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

after some looking on wikipedia it turns out Pedro has won them all

Pedro has a hell of an honours list.

5 La Liga titles
3 Spanish cups
3 Champions Leagues
1 Premier League title
1 FA Cup
1 Europa League
1 World Cup
1 Euros

some other miscellaneous stuff like the Club World Cup

for a player who was never a world-beater, that's pretty good!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Somebody from France 1998/2000 might have managed it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
drama at the euros

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It feels like the bare minimum but I'm glad they're doing it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
wonder if it has ever happened before that a team missed the world cup, won the euros, then missed the world cup again

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

HappyCamperGL posted:

Greece. Though noone would have expected them to qualify for the world cup.

oh yeah, of course, Greece!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
you know, I think Canada could make it out of this group

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

Aren't all the stadiums supposed to have air-con?

yeah buddy there's nothing to worry about the artificial clouds will keep everything cool

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sticksy posted:

You can’t mention that and not post the video of their concept for this that everyone with half a brain cell that wasn’t also bribed by Qatar/a FIFA ExCo member (but I repeat myself!) immediately knew was bullshit:

https://youtu.be/0idC5I7aDnI

World Cup comfort brought to you by Dahir Insaat

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jippa posted:

It's going to be so weird having the world cup final just before christmas.

e-

https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/status/1510191600416272384

I guess the upside is the vast majority of players won't be in the later stages of the knockouts so most of them will get a longer break whenever their teams get eliminated. still just incredibly stupid though

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
nothing wrong with a 22-man orgy in front of 60,000 cheering fans

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it's me I'm the poster who's so delicate I get triggered by the Ch*d

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sticksy posted:

The S*n is bad and if you've been in TRP for more than 5 min you should probably know why

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

you play englands three best players together and they all score :thunk:

agreed, harry maguire is one of england's three best players

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Very cool, thanks for sharing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
what the gently caress

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
in a surprise announcement, FIFA have revealed that through a transparent no-bid process, the 2034 World Cup will be held in every country on Earth

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

North America has 2026, this ticks off South America, Europe and Africa in one fell swoop so it's basically guaranteed to be in Saudi Arabia in 2034.

Australia and New Zealand will send a nice case of wine to each member of the selection committee and lose in a unanimous first-ballot decision

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao at calling up Henderson

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't know why they were booing, but I know why they were booing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Southgate coming out and talking about how he doesn't know why people are booing him because he is a good professional is properly loving daft as well

I can't decide if Southgate is stupid or if he just pretends to be stupid

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TDepressionEarl posted:

haha this sucks

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

algebra testes posted:

It would be great for a world cup to be at a nice place to visit and not some hosed up hell hole like Saudi Arabi or The United States of America.

tbf in 2026 you can also visit two of Canada's three cities

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
And if you want to look farther afield, the FIFA World Player of the Year award only came into existence in 1991 and only ever had one Argentine winner - Messi in 2009, the year before it merged with the Ballon d'Or. Batistuta came 3rd in 1999 but he's the only other Argentine who ever made the top three.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Reece James looked at how many people were coming back from international breaks dead and said no thanks I'd rather not play these two meaningless matches when I'm recovering from an injury and England already qualified, and Southgate responded by threatening not to pick him for the Euros because he's clearly not committed to the team

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Haaland twisted his ankle after getting subbed on in a friendly against the Faroe Islands when Norway were already winning 2-0

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sebzilla posted:

What's going on in Luxembourg, they've finished third in their group and are going to the play-offs!

Behind Portugal and Slovakia, ahead of Iceland, Bosnia and Liechtenstein

Are they good now?

By population alone they should eventually be better than Iceland and Liechtenstein at least

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

weren't they talking about merging CONMEBOL and CONCACAF so that Argentina can dick on all the terrible countries you only hear about when something catches fire or there's a coup, like Montserrat or the United States

idk but they should definitely do this so that the usmnt never qualifies for another world cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nuclear Spoon posted:

didn't have moldova down for the puskas. phwoar

https://streamin.me/v/8a4a3a9e/o

phwoar indeed