Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
lmao

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
this boat thing makes me laugh every time I read or think about it. Just amazing

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
it looks like a penis ejaculating confetti into a windstorm

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
this one is so funny because there was no explosion and no deaths. It's just a ship stuck, and it could wreck global commerce lol

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Yinlock posted:

also that the world's greatest minds can't figure out how to solve the brain-cruncher known as "ship stuck"

I mean yeah but also it goes to show that the fundamentals of civil engineering are unchanged in over 100 years. You're fighting gravity and all your fancy models and software and devices can't do much about that

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
was that the one where the drunk italian captain just peaced out after the boat started sinking?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

lmao

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
imagine if a stuck boat hits the economy harder than a pandemic that took millions of lives. lmao

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

dead gay comedy forums posted:

dumbass question from someone whose modern seafaring knowledge is totally newbie

couldn't the other cargo ships at the back just maneuver and go around Africa?

the entire global economy is JIT and adding an additional 10-14 days to shopping routes is a cluster gently caress

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
how is that sattelite picture loss.jpeg?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
oh nevermind I zoomed into the red box

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
this is going to involve sawing the boat in half I can feel it in my bones

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
ever given me a boner

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/mickbk/status/1376439470568964099?s=20

there's still hope

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

one imagines that the egyptians and/or the freight companies will have armed men in the first several boats to get through to prevent shenanigans

also this has shown just how vulnerable these systems are, if i were an enterprising terrorist out to make a name for myself and then immediately die i'd take note

you can get a drone that can lift 50 lbs for like $20k

pretty surprised terrorists haven't started using them to deliver explosives

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
right but ground vehicle delivery really limits your target potential. For example, there are dozens of very large ammonia storage tanks around the world in or near heavily populated areas you could take out with a couple kilos of TNT

though to access by land or water but only a few thousands meters from openly accessible areas

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
lmao

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
80% refloated

so not refloated at all then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
floating seems like a binary thing in this situation