Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lorenzo's results were always ultimately limited by his severe autism and egomania, ducati's results are limited by their psychotic management. It was never going to work regardless of how well he went for those few races. But I'll admit lorenzo's adventure in red is what makes me so confident in zarco, it's clear they learned a little bit from the experience and are applying it to him and bagnaia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

sure but then what's jack's loving excuse

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

the paradigm shift posted:

He's not that good...?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

They said his tire spun on the rim.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Wait really? Astonishing if true. I'm almost certain michelin quality is garbage and some of the tyres are just faulty, the fact they have to keep them in tents and even a few seconds of exposure without being ridden is fatal is...not a good sign. Otoh some riders never have a problem so it might be a case of them pissing off the super sensitive tyres by doing something they aren't even aware of/monitor on telemetry.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Slavvy posted:

He's not that good...?

that's my feeling on it too but there sure are a lot of people pretending he's champ in waiting

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Did they say that on the first of April?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Mah...mah desert tracks. Fp3 is 3 seconds off the pace.
https://twitter.com/GoldandGoose/status/1378317437310017536?s=19

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

lmao pramac. god I love them

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pramac and zarco are a glorious combination because the only two possible outcomes every time he gets on that bike are either magic or fiery explosion.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

JohnClark posted:

I have never watched an entire MotoGP race before, but I decided this would be the year to try to get into it. The race was awesome, and as Maverick Vinales started to work his way forward I looked him up. This told me two things:
1.) That he won the race already (managed to ruin it for myself since I was watching on tape delay)
2.) His name is actually Maverick, and it's because his dad is a fan of Top Gun.

Boom, he's my guy now. Go Vinales!

Oh BTW if you liked the MotoGP race you should definitely watch Moto3. Moto2 I can take or leave but 3 consistently has the best race of the day. They haven't even run the other 2 races and I'm already prepared to call moto3 the best race of today, absolutely crazy result to that race.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
That was some ride by Pedro Acosta.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
2 takeaways from the motogp pre-race.

1. The guys at the Losail like having circuit wide lightswitch raves just a little bit too much.

2. The only thing on the grid uglier than Jack Millers mustache is the puke green beaver toothed M3 safety car.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Cant believe Miller didnt get a penalty for that bullshit with Mir, he's been having temper tantrums all weekend because the Pramacs are beting him.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VIVA LA FRAAAANCE

echomadman posted:

Cant believe Miller didnt get a penalty for that bullshit with Mir, he's been having temper tantrums all weekend because the Pramacs are beting him.

In fairness, mir's pass before that was a bunch of bullshit he should've been sanctioned for. Not an excuse though.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

VIVA LA FRAAAANCE

In fairness, mir's pass before that was a bunch of bullshit he should've been sanctioned for. Not an excuse though.

Agreed, surprised that Mir wasn't reprimanded for that, but more disappointed that Miller let Mir get in his head like that.

We gotta talk about this Pramac "phenomenon" that seems to have persisted at least the last year or two. Does the GiGi curse exist? Someone in the Discord suggested a pressure factor...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toxic management culture in the factory team, no mystery about it. They mismanage the gently caress out of their riders. It's no coincidence that pramac's nadir was the year ducati decided petrucci and redding would be racing to see who keeps their job, so naturally they started ramming each other and results tanked. They were on different bikes too so redding never really had a chance; examine their respective careers since then to give you an idea of how brilliant this move was.

Then the ceo decided he just didn't like lorenzo personally, results be damned, so they threw away the only rider to get close to dovi and replaced him with petrucci because he 'deserved' it (aka is Italian). Then they grandfathered in bagnaia, a guy who occasionally got near the podium between crashes, whilst ignoring all of dovi's feedback and also passing by miller, who had more experience, more points and ultimately had a drastically better season than bagnaia.

Now that miller is in the red leathers, his experience of Ducati management has gone from 'people who occasionally wander in to congratulate me, tell me there are good things in my future' to 'people who are breathing over my shoulder telling me how to ride while emphasizing the weight of the world and the expectations of the Italian nation are on my shoulders and if Casey stoner could do it what's your excuse?!'. Nothing surprising about the outcome.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

Toxic management culture in the factory team, no mystery about it. They mismanage the gently caress out of their riders. It's no coincidence that pramac's nadir was the year ducati decided petrucci and redding would be racing to see who keeps their job, so naturally they started ramming each other and results tanked. They were on different bikes too so redding never really had a chance; examine their respective careers since then to give you an idea of how brilliant this move was.

Then the ceo decided he just didn't like lorenzo personally, results be damned, so they threw away the only rider to get close to dovi and replaced him with petrucci because he 'deserved' it (aka is Italian). Then they grandfathered in bagnaia, a guy who occasionally got near the podium between crashes, whilst ignoring all of dovi's feedback and also passing by miller, who had more experience, more points and ultimately had a drastically better season than bagnaia.

Now that miller is in the red leathers, his experience of Ducati management has gone from 'people who occasionally wander in to congratulate me, tell me there are good things in my future' to 'people who are breathing over my shoulder telling me how to ride while emphasizing the weight of the world and the expectations of the Italian nation are on my shoulders and if Casey stoner could do it what's your excuse?!'. Nothing surprising about the outcome.

Well said, that fits - it has been fantastic to see Scott doing what he's been doing in the other series. Was also hilarious to see the look on management's faces after Jorge bagged wins on the Duc...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those were some of the most awkward victories ever, watching tardozzi turn beetroot coloured from the internal conflict was gold, god bless george and his ability to rub literally everyone the wrong way.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Oh BTW if you liked the MotoGP race you should definitely watch Moto3. Moto2 I can take or leave but 3 consistently has the best race of the day. They haven't even run the other 2 races and I'm already prepared to call moto3 the best race of today, absolutely crazy result to that race.
I will definitely give those a look, the commentators seemed to be talking up Moto3 as well during the race.

As for the race itself, holy poo poo that was awesome to watch. Vinales and Quatararo were amazing, Rins had some killer moves, and Martin was incredible especially considering he's a rookie. 2 races in I am psyched to get into this sport :)

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

VIVA LA FRAAAANCE

I don't know about that. It looked like he went for the same kind of flip flop pass he had been getting at that corner pretty regularly and Miller decided to carry more speed than normal and Mir got stuck since he was already committed, pretty standard racing incident if you ask me. Miller's retaliation was just being a churlish aussie.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

JohnClark posted:

I will definitely give those a look, the commentators seemed to be talking up Moto3 as well during the race.

As for the race itself, holy poo poo that was awesome to watch. Vinales and Quatararo were amazing, Rins had some killer moves, and Martin was incredible especially considering he's a rookie. 2 races in I am psyched to get into this sport :)

You should really go watch the Moto3 race from this weekend, it's bonkers in all the right ways.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

JohnClark posted:

If you've never watched a Moto3 race before, then for the love of the sport watch this one! Complete barnstormer.

Really liking this new and improved Zarco too.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

If you've never watched a Moto3 race before, then for the love of the sport watch this one! Complete barnstormer.

I'm considering the possibility of forgiving Zarco for the "Mamola is not a legend" comment and the whole KTM situation; he does seem to have worked out some gremlins and seems to be showing the most promise of the Duc stable... We'll see I guess...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ktm are doing a ducati speedrun.

They've done bad bike they blame the riders for, they've done buying in talent to fix everything, they've done the 'roster of young guys will fix it' plan. All they're missing is a stoner-like figure (betting on it being binder 2022) to get a freak championship that can never be repeated but will always be used as proof that the bike is Good Enough To Win and the rider is at fault, always, and all they need is to find another guy like that, while the actual guy is still there and telling them the bike can't win (binder 2023-2025).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In KTM's defence their bike is a lot better than it once was.

I know technically speaking it was never as slow as a Moto2 bike, but it was drat slow for a while!

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Valid points from you guys, but I should probably add that 99% of my ire towards Zarco stemmed from him talking that poo poo about Mamola, especially with Mamola being one of his biggest and earliest advocates when he hit the top tier. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but it just really rubbed me up the wrong way.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also Mamola was a legend cos he road bike fast and did stoppies on the pace lap.

He also advocated for the sport for a long while.

Oh yeah he won a bunch of races during a period where it's generally accepted that it was hard to win races against Spencer, Lawson and Gardener.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

algebra testes posted:

Also Mamola was a legend cos he road bike fast and did stoppies on the pace lap.

He also advocated for the sport for a long while.

Oh yeah he won a bunch of races during a period where it's generally accepted that it was hard to win races against Spencer, Lawson and Gardener.

Exactly this - the man put a Cagiva on the podium against these folks... :shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gregbest90 posted:

Exactly this - the man put a Cagiva on the podium against these folks... :shrug:

Yeah winning in that era wasn't that hard (relatively speaking) if you had a factory Honda, to do it on a flaming hunk of :italy: is an achievement.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

Is there a good way to watch these in the US? I've been catching MotoGP on tape delay on NBCSN, but it doesn't look like they broadcast Moto3 unless I'm missing it.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

JohnClark posted:

Is there a good way to watch these in the US? I've been catching MotoGP on tape delay on NBCSN, but it doesn't look like they broadcast Moto3 unless I'm missing it.

MotoGP videopass lets you watch all the races on demand or live if that's your thing. The quality has improved in recent years but it's pretty expensive. I ended up paying $150USD for the whole year but IIRC you can buy month by month*. If that's a bit too rich for your blood you're either stuck with what you can find on TV or :filez:

*Apparently you can get it cheaper if you use a VPN and pretend to be from a different country. I can't attest to how accurate that is though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

JohnClark posted:

No idea. I had some sports channel here in Canada that would often miss races and ended up just getting the drat MotoGP Video pass and app. It's really the best solution if you can swing the annual cost.

Comedy :pirate:Bay option

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

I had some sports channel here in Canada that would often miss races

speedvision or some poo poo? I managed to catch a couple races on that like a decade ago, but I lucked out and one of them was that one with Rossi and Lorenzo going head to head at Catalunya, gently caress

I still get goosebumps thinkin about it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had to look it up: BeIn Sports. They had tonnes of soccer which I never ended up watching. They had basically a set time slot for all MotoGP races, so if there were any delays or one race went long, they'd keep premier class and Moto2 as much as possible and just drop Moto3 if there wasn't enough time.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Found a way to watch Moto3, and the first run at Qatar was exciting to say the least. It does seem like these guys are just a little bit faster than they are talented, if that makes sense. The pileups, contact, and near disasters all seemed to stem from them not quite estimating right on when to pass/brake/etc.

Still a ton of fun to watch, and also cool to see rookies doing well at this level.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Moto3 is such a hoot, i always make sure to watch it. You'll get guys like Derryn Binder qualifying at the back and then just slicing his way to the top over a couple of laps. It's so much fun.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JohnClark posted:

Found a way to watch Moto3, and the first run at Qatar was exciting to say the least. It does seem like these guys are just a little bit faster than they are talented, if that makes sense. The pileups, contact, and near disasters all seemed to stem from them not quite estimating right on when to pass/brake/etc.

Still a ton of fun to watch, and also cool to see rookies doing well at this level.

It seems like that because of the twin combination of slow bikes with near total parity + riders all between the ages of 16-19.

The average age of the premier class has gone down in recent years while the bikes have become much closer technically, so there has been a corresponding rise in pileups, weird incidents and general biffo ("ITs LiKe A MoTo3 race!1!" I scream as I drool on my commentary mic). Race direction has failed utterly to respond in a competent or consistent manner so now we have a situation where doing bonehead poo poo is often worth it because you probably won't get sanctioned if there's any ambiguity to the situation eg miller and mir both got away without so much as a talking to, let alone actual penalties. Quartararo could've crashed out of the lead and inured himself running over petrucci's winglet (qatar marshals: not great, not terrible), and they even replayed the incident where petrucci rammed someone like he always does, breaking off the wing - no penalty.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

marc's not raced at portimao and he's got no time in on this year's bike and barely even knew last year's bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

marc's not raced at portimao and he's got no time in on this year's bike and barely even knew last year's bike.

If he races at portimao he win finish fourth at minimum.

Hopefully this post ages well.