Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

If he races at portimao he win finish fourth at minimum.

Hopefully this post ages well.

It's on baby! Hoping this post still is too. I reckon top 10 minimum but quite frankly wouldn't be shocked at all by a top 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006
MM will qualify poorly, but on the first corner of the race he will lose the front wiping out all the good riders, but manage to save the crash with his elbow and then finish second because Dovi will pip him on the line on his Aprilia.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
MM is a generational talent and will come back on pace and on the podium but won’t win.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

The BT Sport commentators have blown their loads and Marc Marquez is out on track... Here we go!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The king is back, long live the king.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

The king is back, long live the king.

Gonna be a sweaty year indeed... :allears:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Marky Marc can still ride the bike but his stamina seems to be taking a hit, he looked really bothered before going out on track for the last qualifying run.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Skreemer posted:

Marky Marc can still ride the bike but his stamina seems to be taking a hit, he looked really bothered before going out on track for the last qualifying run.

Yeah, I think it'll be a struggle for him to finish the race, especially on a rollercoaster of a track like Portimao.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nothing I've seen has moved the needle at all for me. Fourth at minimum.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Something was clearly up with his arm between the end of Q1 and when he went out for Q2, but it didn't seem to be bothering him at all when he came back in. At this point I just hope he doesn't crash trying to ride like pre injury Marc if he's not ready to. Between Taka sliding for half a mile and Martin ragdolling through the gravel at 100MPH we've already had enough serious injuries this weekend.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

KodiakRS posted:

Something was clearly up with his arm between the end of Q1 and when he went out for Q2, but it didn't seem to be bothering him at all when he came back in. At this point I just hope he doesn't crash trying to ride like pre injury Marc if he's not ready to. Between Taka sliding for half a mile and Martin ragdolling through the gravel at 100MPH we've already had enough serious injuries this weekend.

Exactly, I just can't see him pulling off the T-1000 style saves of old. That Navarro tumble was gnarly...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gregbest90 posted:

Exactly, I just can't see him pulling off the T-1000 style saves of old. That Navarro tumble was gnarly...

He's literally done like three of those this weekend already

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

He's literally done like three of those this weekend already

Don't get me wrong, he's done so well this weekend, few really scary moments that few others probably handle in that situation, if any, but were they "T-1000" level? Not discounting your point that those saves were still a sight to watch...

gregbest90 fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 18, 2021

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

It looked like Acosta being only 16 wasn't allowed Champagne on the Moto3 podium. Fuckers should have had a bottle of Orangina ready.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Without spoiling too much, this is why I gave up on making MotoGP predictions. Also, I don't think I've ever seen Marc as drained as he looked when he got off the bike. He's pretty clearly nowhere near %100 healed.

JohnClark posted:

Boom, he's my guy now. Go Vinales!

So about that....

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
It was smart of Marquez to not try any repasses, he needs to get a full race distance in way more than he needs to risk crashing for 1 extra place. That said I question whether he'll get his fitness back before he runs out of patients with being bullied by everyone, I don't see him putting up with that kind of race more then twice before he starts doing crazy poo poo again.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marc looked exhausted at the end of that, I'm very disappointed because he's making my posts age badly.

Extremely disappointed for zarco, evidently he crashed because of a gearbox problem and it makes me wonder if that's also the explanation for miller's utterly bizarre fall.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I should know this but is Zarco on a current year bike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He is yeah. He's also the test mule because bagnaia is worthless in that regard, miller is nominally supposed to be fighting for the championship and martin is supposed to be a rookie who doesn't know anything.

More and more it seems like factories making plans before the season even starts is what fucks them up - the only reason morbidelli isn't champion right now is because Yamaha decided in advance that he was the C rider and then doggedly stuck to that plan as he proceeded to make the other yamahas look like poo poo. Miller being designated Ducati's great new hope purely because it was his turn and everyone thinks he's a good guy. There are countless other examples.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Marc looked exhausted at the end of that, I'm very disappointed because he's making my posts age badly.

Extremely disappointed for zarco, evidently he crashed because of a gearbox problem and it makes me wonder if that's also the explanation for miller's utterly bizarre fall.
Yeah Zarco was looking solid up til then.

An actually boring Moto3 race other than the last lap! Acosta the one to watch this year.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

KodiakRS posted:

So about that....

Yeah, not a great one for Vinales, though he managed to save 11th thanks to all the crashes up ahead.

I figure I can salvage my fandom by just becoming a Yamaha Factory guy now, I just sold one Yamaha and bought another so this is legit, go Quatararo! ;)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha nice one from Raul in Moto2, didn't expect him to place #1

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JohnClark posted:

Yeah, not a great one for Vinales, though he managed to save 11th thanks to all the crashes up ahead.

I figure I can salvage my fandom by just becoming a Yamaha Factory guy now, I just sold one Yamaha and bought another so this is legit, go Quatararo! ;)

Still barking up the wrong tree, it's 50/50 whether morbidelli will outscore the two factory guys by end of season; he managed it last year.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

Still barking up the wrong tree, it's 50/50 whether morbidelli will outscore the two factory guys by end of season; he managed it last year.

Aye - I think my money's on Franco doing it. The guy is just getting warmed up.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Gran Premio Red Bull de España this weekend, no time is too soon to start wild predictions and speculation.

Rossi tries to go for the 200th podium and crashes hard.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

mir wins when rins crashes out from the lead

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pol and aleix in an epic battle for the win, ending in an intrafamilial spanish sepang incident.

dilandau
Apr 30, 2021
So what's the concensus on marquez?

Dude blows up his season in 2020 race #1 (which was insane and classic marquez). Doing pushups and poo poo after a few weeks... Then he's gone, out for the rest of 2020 and practically the next 12 months.

Did he reinjure it by not letting it heal the first time, or was it just way worse than anyone thought? Seems like he has real strength issues in it so even this season he's probably not going to be competitive.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dilandau posted:

Dude blows up his season in 2020 race #1 (which was insane and classic marquez). Doing pushups and poo poo after a few weeks... Then he's gone, out for the rest of 2020 and practically the next 12 months.

Did he reinjure it by not letting it heal the first time, or was it just way worse than anyone thought? Seems like he has real strength issues in it so even this season he's probably not going to be competitive.

Lol

Slavvy posted:

Pol and aleix in an epic battle for the win, ending in an intrafamilial spanish sepang incident.

Just gonna quote myself because I wasn't serious here but loving hell, the aprilia looks like the bike for the win based on fp1/2, looong runs of tight 1:37's, didn't look like he was on the verge of crashing the whole time. I'm sure they'll gently caress it up by Sunday afternoon but it's cool to dream.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 1, 2021

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

dilandau posted:

he reinjured it at the 2nd race by trying way too soon and needed further surgery. then he reinjured it opening a window at home and needed more surgery. then there was an infection which required even more surgery. he's only been fit enough the doctors are happy he's on the bike for 3 weeks.

https://twitter.com/matoxley/status/1388143661930721293

then again as slavvy pointed out it's marc so it's way too early to count him out as being not competitive at some point this season.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marc Marquez at 50% capacity and unable to ride like he wants, on a grid where the top fifteen are routinely separated by a second or less, on a track he's never ridden a gp bike on, is still good for a second row quali, seventh place in the race, highest finishing Honda, 13 seconds from the winner.

He is at a level above the others, the 'race' is effectively his medical recovery to full fitness vs points accumulation by the 5-6 guys at the sharp end. Their strategy is to hoard as many points as possible before marc returns to full power and starts taking chunks of points out of them. Miller's season is already over on this basis.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Marc Marquez at 50% capacity and unable to ride like he wants, on a grid where the top fifteen are routinely separated by a second or less, on a track he's never ridden a gp bike on, is still good for a second row quali, seventh place in the race, highest finishing Honda, 13 seconds from the winner.

He is at a level above the others, the 'race' is effectively his medical recovery to full fitness vs points accumulation by the 5-6 guys at the sharp end. Their strategy is to hoard as many points as possible before marc returns to full power and starts taking chunks of points out of them. Miller's season is already over on this basis.

Yeah, he’s insane. I do wonder though if he’ll ever get back to 100%.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Yeah, he’s insane. I do wonder though if he’ll ever get back to 100%.

I think mick doohan's entire career is pretty solid evidence that the answer is yes. Marc always gets compared to rossi but doohan is the real antecedent, they are remarkably similar.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Pedro Acosta, take a bow you absolute beast. Worried about John McPhee, sure his championship bid is over but that error today was a bit "huh?". Acutely aware he's been unlucky, but he's gonna run out of road in this class soonish. Thoughts?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

gregbest90 posted:

Pedro Acosta, take a bow you absolute beast. Worried about John McPhee, sure his championship bid is over but that error today was a bit "huh?". Acutely aware he's been unlucky, but he's gonna run out of road in this class soonish. Thoughts?

idk what the issue is but he's always a day late and a dollar short and if it wasn't for being a brit he'd have less hype

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

the paradigm shift posted:

idk what the issue is but he's always a day late and a dollar short and if it wasn't for being a brit he'd have less hype

Looking like he'll end up in BSB if he carries on at this rate...

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
oh so this is where i can talk poo poo about Binales instead of the F1 thread with all the squares? Why isn’t this thread in SAS?

Anyway, uh, go Franky! and Fabio! and maybe Jack....

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006

gregbest90 posted:

Acosta is just sublime. Moto3 still remains my favourite class to watch.

McPhee was never quite quick enough to get a championship, just the odd podium and very occasional win. He's been around since the 125's, can't see him getting a ride next year in a decent team. He does get more than his fair share of bad luck, but he has also thrown it away on many occasions as well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
aussie jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

he's australian? had no idea