Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I laughed when the commentators said something like “Oh maybe Aprilia unlocked Maverick’s talent and now he’ll be winning regularly again.” Impressive ride from him though, especially considering he’s apparently been sick as hell, the commentators also said he had lost 2.5 kgs this weekend.

Glad to see Marc on the podium, here’s hoping he can get another good start tomorrow and stay near the front

Between that and them salivating over Acosta doing qualifying laps in the practice session before qualifying where everyone usually does race runs in, my opinion of the Dorna commentators has really hit a new low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

zarco made it to 15th before washing the front and crashing. typical honda it seems

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

+2 a lap for marini, dark days for Honda

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a hold on development that is still crippling Honda? I thought there were a bunch of concessions that were suppose to go to Yamaha and Honda, but maybe it won’t actually start paying off until 2025? It’s not like they don’t know how to make a v4 that makes more power.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No they are both actively testing already

Zarco imo reflects the current real level of the Honda because he tends to get up to speed really quickly when he switches bikes (early KTM notwithstanding, it was a shitter tho)

Mir is, I think I have to admit now, probably hopeless

Nakagami is definitely hopeless

Marini is a dovi type who will never, ever override the bike past what feels comfortable so he's just doomed to being super slow for the next few months

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
lol at Marcmarquez and The Bagman
lol at BINales
KTM now going to sack both Miller and Binder, the new kid is all they need

I like that there seems to be more riders in the mix for wins than last year, Bagnaia is going to have his work cut out

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I get that they are going to race there because of Olivera but Portimao really is not suited for full sized bikes/cars. felt like I was watching an F1 race

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Seems like a fun track idk.

lol binales

Marc almost came back for 1 point at the end.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

It seems like Aprilia and KTM are much closer in performance to the Ducati's compared to last year. The fact that Martin led for most of the race and never got that far ahead of Vinales speaks to that. Also Acosta clowning both Marquez and the Bagman on a KTM and not dying makes me feel like Ducati's huge advantage is becoming less so.

edit: sounds like vinales had transmission problems the whole race that finally caught up to him. rip

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 25, 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
2&3 had some good late race drama, and nice podium for Acosta there. :rip: Viñales, oops.

Portimao is one of the more interesting tracks out there with the elevation changes and big curve in toward the finish line

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So gearbox issue for binales. Unlucky that it went last lap since he said it was bothering him since lap 6.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 25, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can't wait for the Ducati handbag fight to really take off

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
ok, watched the race and this is the correct take

ROFLBOT posted:

lol at Marcmarquez and The Bagman
lol at BINales

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

just watched the race.

Pecco tried to get back his position too fast, whoopsie dhoopsie, now Martin has big lead. Marc gets crashed out but doesn't matter as much on his side because he's only on the way up and his goals for this year are not the same as the defending WC.

Acosta seems pretty good.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

numberoneposter posted:

just watched the race.

Pecco tried to get back his position too fast, whoopsie dhoopsie, now Martin has big lead. Marc gets crashed out but doesn't matter as much on his side because he's only on the way up and his goals for this year are not the same as the defending WC.

Acosta seems pretty good.

I don't know, it looks to me like Marquez goes wide and then comes back in and Pecco is there which seems pretty reasonable to me. I think racing incident is pretty fair but lol at Marquez getting mad about it and lol at Pecco fighting with another Ducati over a couple points and getting zero instead.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Looks like the liberty media deal to buy Dorna is getting closer to reality although I'm not sure it will pass the regulators https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/f1-owner-liberty-media-purchase-motogp/10592492/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Kinda surprised dorna wants to let this go, but bags of money is bags of money and looks like they are not strictly profitable (ok to the debt and equity holders they are through divvies). I’m sure there is going to be a nice distribution for everyone at the close too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Too many long breaks this season holy smokes

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

3 continent changes for the first 3 races is hella dumb. I know you gotta do COTA early in the year because Texas is unlivable for the rest of it but man 3 races in a month and a half is weak

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

3 continent changes for the first 3 races is hella dumb. I know you gotta do COTA early in the year because Texas is unlivable for the rest of it but man 3 races in a month and a half is weak

It’s made worse because Argentina was canceled. Also makes less logistics sense that way too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wanna see the pdf Fabio got this year

dema
Aug 13, 2006

It's hard to see Yamaha having any chance until the big 2027 regulations shakeup. And this contract only gets him to that point? Maybe there is some promise that he's going to be involved in developing the new bike?

And, obviously, loads and loads of money.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Maybe Liberty, now that they bought MotoGP will do some wacky stuff that changes things.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I want to see their slide deck with all the possible syngeries.

I mean maybe they leave things alone but I can imagine them doing something dumb like trying to have MotoGP and F1 race at the same track at the same weekend, like Thursday-Monday instead of Friday-Sunday.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

I mean maybe they leave things alone but I can imagine them doing something dumb like trying to have MotoGP and F1 race at the same track at the same weekend, like Thursday-Monday instead of Friday-Sunday.

They specifically said they wouldn't try to do anything like this

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

They specifically said they wouldn't try to do anything like this

Exactly. According to what Motomatters and others have covered, they're being pretty explicit about keeping MotoGP and F1 pretty separate, as the last time a company that owned F1 tried to buy MotoGP it got shut down by Euro antitrust regulars. There were concerns they'd try to use owning both to bully tracks and TV carriers into lovely bundled deals, for example.

From what it sounds like, they intend to have Dorna keep running the racing side of things, but Liberty wants to take over/help with the marketing and promotion side. Which is probably good, because Dorna sucks at it. They've already been coordinating to avoid scheduling conflicts on race weekends.

And Fabio at Yamaha... man I hope it works out. Here's hoping they really take advantage of concessions this year, get VR46 as a satellite squad, and get back to the top. It's been such a bummer seeing Quartararo saddled with such a poo poo bike when we know he's so good, and seeing Yamaha flounder when we know they can be so successful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Especially when Aprilia is proving that a corner speed oriented bike is a viable proposition in the current era. It can be done. Hopefully this time next year he isn't paying a huge penalty to get out of his contract.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Toe Rag posted:

Liberty is publicly traded so you can do exactly that.

https://www.libertymedia.com/investors/news-events/ir-calendar/detail/20065/liberty-media-announces-agreement-to-acquire-motogp

As Mike Tyson says everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face. They got pretty loving lucky with the timing of F1 and the pandemic giving them a captive audience and their general tone seems pretty cocky based off that. My guess is that a lot of the poo poo they're saying is off the table suddenly goes back on the table when they can't ramp up MotoGP in a similar way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gp is actually fun to watch, unlike F1

How hard can it be to sell something that's actually good??

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
if media being fun to watch was the only criteria for success Bloodsport would be the most successful film of all time. It just ain't that easy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But that's what I'm saying, F1 is garbage 'sport' for IT men and they still managed to make it interesting for people, it implies that do know what they're doing to some extent so it should be far easier with GP

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
If they knew what they were doing then why wasn't Dorna successful copying their strategy verbatim? There isn't some trade secret to what Liberty did, they tried to aggressively push F1 and scaled up the number of races to grow revenue. Dorna tried to copy it and it did gently caress all which is why the P/E firms are selling, they know the growth isn't there and they want out.

The reality is that Dorna is debt heavy just based on the EBITDA reconciliation schedule, we're in a high interest rate environment which means they almost certainly can't refinance that, and Liberty is going to have a growth target for revenues of the sport. Not a lot of room to manoeuvre. When Liberty bought F1 they said a lot of this kumbaya poo poo but ultimately they just said "gently caress it we're going to 25 races and going to do all sorts of stupid poo poo". Add to this the fact that MotoGP is not a primarily English operated sport. The teams, riders and personnel all speak other languages mostly and the average american is deadly adverse to watching with subtitles much less the stars of the sport speaking in a different language with no immediate translation. it's why Dorna's DTS clone bombed and a big part of why it was so easy for F1 to break through in America.

If we're 2-3 years in and the growth in revenue isn't there is the executive team with stock vesting plans dependent on that growth going to say "ahh well you know 2-3 years ago before the deal was finalised with regulatory approval we said these things in press conference, we should honour that and lose out on our millions in stock options" or are they going to go "gently caress it we're going to 25 races and doing all sorts of stupid poo poo" to make sure they get their stock options?

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

They need to do a 'Ride to Survive' or something. Maybe tap into the big riding markets in Asia, perhaps make the sport more accessible to watch.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Gp is actually fun to watch, unlike F1

How hard can it be to sell something that's actually good??

Too many Catholics 🤌

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Tony quidprano posted:

If they knew what they were doing then why wasn't Dorna successful copying their strategy verbatim? There isn't some trade secret to what Liberty did, they tried to aggressively push F1 and scaled up the number of races to grow revenue. Dorna tried to copy it and it did gently caress all which is why the P/E firms are selling, they know the growth isn't there and they want out.

The reality is that Dorna is debt heavy just based on the EBITDA reconciliation schedule, we're in a high interest rate environment which means they almost certainly can't refinance that, and Liberty is going to have a growth target for revenues of the sport. Not a lot of room to manoeuvre. When Liberty bought F1 they said a lot of this kumbaya poo poo but ultimately they just said "gently caress it we're going to 25 races and going to do all sorts of stupid poo poo". Add to this the fact that MotoGP is not a primarily English operated sport. The teams, riders and personnel all speak other languages mostly and the average american is deadly adverse to watching with subtitles much less the stars of the sport speaking in a different language with no immediate translation.

By the time riders make it to MotoGP they've had english lessons and the majority can speak it no problem (albeit with heavy accents). The language barrier is more of an issue in the lower classes particularly Moto3

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Tony quidprano posted:

The reality is that Dorna is debt heavy just based on the EBITDA reconciliation schedule, we're in a high interest rate environment which means they almost certainly can't refinance that, and Liberty is going to have a growth target for revenues of the sport. Not a lot of room to manoeuvre. When Liberty bought F1 they said a lot of this kumbaya poo poo but ultimately they just said "gently caress it we're going to 25 races and going to do all sorts of stupid poo poo". Add to this the fact that MotoGP is not a primarily English operated sport. The teams, riders and personnel all speak other languages mostly and the average american is deadly adverse to watching with subtitles much less the stars of the sport speaking in a different language with no immediate translation. it's why Dorna's DTS clone bombed and a big part of why it was so easy for F1 to break through in America.

If we're 2-3 years in and the growth in revenue isn't there is the executive team with stock vesting plans dependent on that growth going to say "ahh well you know 2-3 years ago before the deal was finalised with regulatory approval we said these things in press conference, we should honour that and lose out on our millions in stock options" or are they going to go "gently caress it we're going to 25 races and doing all sorts of stupid poo poo" to make sure they get their stock options?

From the article I read it sounded like they are paying out all their net profit as dividends to shareholders. Once their financials pop up in liberty’s sec filings I’d be curious to browse. Looks like their debt isn’t due until 2029 so there is time to dick around still.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 9, 2024

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Russian Bear posted:

From the article I read it sounded like they are paying out all their net profit as dividends to shareholders. Once their financials pop up in liberty’s sec filings I’d be curious to browse. Looks like their debt isn’t due until 2029 so there is time to dick around still.

The going rumour I've heard pop up over the past year or so is that Dorna took on debt to pay out dividends (the EBITDA reconcilliation at the end of their slide deck would seem to support this theory but I haven't done a ton of digging). If it was self financed by the major shareholders (and I suspect that probably is what happened although I've got nothing to prove that) then thats a pretty shrewd and clever manoeuvre to effectively force yourself to be the debt financier for any potential buyer.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 9, 2024

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CapIQ says that they did exactly that with the refinanced debt:

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/dorna-prices-8364-975m-refi-and-recap-loan-terms-68722094

quote:

Proceeds will be used to refinance the company's €840 million-equivalent euro- and dollar-denominated term loan due April 2024 as well as to fund a shareholder dividend.

Also apparently Liberty is going to pay a termination fee of 126m.

So are you a finance nerd in real life or just like to look at EBITDA reconciliation for fun?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I passed all the CFA exams on first attempt but don't want to work in actual investing because gently caress the stress so something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nice! Hail satan that it’s race week and we can stop talking about M&A lol