Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Metropolis posted:

But, in order to do these, we'd need to know what Viltrumites actually DO with a planet they control. Sure there's lots of stuff but it seems like they would need an enemy to be battling if they need more resources etc. that bad. I think we'll get something more than just "we conquer planets with our superpowers in a weird way to acquire generic resources." Something like, acquiring magic or other weird stuff Viltrum doesn't have, would be cool, but I feel like if that were happening, Nolan would show more interest in Damien Darkblood. I'm sure like at least 50% of what Nolan has told Mark about Viltrum and their society is just propaganda that he knows is fake.

Going to focus in on this bit because its something I hope maybe this will explore or maybe some other story someday: People don't really need a reason to conquer things. Yeah sometimes its about resources like food or water or cheep labor, but sometimes its because that sheep herder over there doesn't have anything protecting him so why not make him your feudal subject? Who cares if you don't need sheep. Power for powers sake because that's all you know is a very human motivation and sometimes that's all you need in your story. No "here to harvest our water/organs/magic/children/souls/minerals" needed when it would just feel like excessive baggage to the story. Let the audience fill in their imaginations what the imperialists want, any given answer has the chance of being more disappointing than their assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Two little details I enjoyed were the fighters going all itano circus with their missiles, and while rolling down the street they subbed in the classic two frame rolling animation for like 4 seconds as a gag. Feels pretty deliberately homage'y

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Dragonball Z abridged is 10 hours of goofiness which turns into a more developed story than the real show with an actual resolution at the end rather than endless sequels and spin-offs. It’s worth the watch to get the gist without the real time commitment of watching the full original show

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
70% of the show was grunting and long repeating pan shots to begin with. It cuts 194 episodes down to 10 hours and you lose nothing important.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It’s more on the YA side of things but Brandon Sanderson’s “Reckoners” book series is a bit of The Boys band a bit of Invincible and other comic tropes. Fun series. Premise is that one day 1000s of people get super powered, and while some of them are good, within a decade the whole world has regressed to giant feudal territories under the rule of whichever rear end in a top hat and their minions had the supermight to become a warlord. And it follows the ragtag team of resistance fighters trying to figure out how to kill their invulnerable despots.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Ccs posted:

I think the train scene threatens to push Omni Man into the “can never be redeemed” territory which is a problem if him having second thoughts about killing Mark and flying off into space is supposed to be part of a Piccolo-esque redemption arc as opposed to him just going to find the other Viltrumites so someone else can kill Mark for him.

Vegeta has killed far more people though? Audiences don’t really care how bad someone is, as long as it’s the right sort of bad.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

but I don't really understand the vitriolic hate that Amber gets.

It’s mostly racism and misogyny spewing forth :ssh:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Hearing someone scream for help a couple blocks away is just a normal human ability though.

There is a lot of high speed stuff that Nolan probably can do on reflex rather than perception. With enough experience it would hardly be an issue moving your arm into place as you do something faster than your brain can process it. Flash et al's super speed includes the ability to speedster process high level thought too, which is mostly a just an unneeded luxury in a fight.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
For being a YA series Brandon Sanderson Steelheart had a good take on "super powered assholes". Its like the boys except with more optimism and less cringey edginess.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The speed of light in Ben-Day dots is ten million kilometers per microsecond.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Substantially cursed content.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Amazon put out the S2 Part 2 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5OY-vXYzeE

Returning March 14th

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Came out at midnight PST

https://x.com/screentime/status/1768003166388338844

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Phenotype posted:

Does Amazon literally want this show to fail? I had no idea the new episode came out, and even looking at my Prime Video it's not on the front page anywhere. I just don't understand what they're doing to this thing.

This won't be the first show they buried.

And they probably don't even know they buried it, since its all black box algorithm tailored per user. All they see is that nobody watched, not why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Jedit posted:

Allen had been showing up for years to have regular "fights" with Omni-Man that mysteriously never led to a conclusive outcome but did leave Omni-Man looking like a trusted defender of Earth. I very much doubt that Cecil would have trusted Mark's judgement that Allen wasn't a threat at that point.

Where does that come from? Season 1 his meeting mark was his first time going to earth.