Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I don't think I get this show. It's like a children's cartoon but completely inappropriate for children. I thought it was a children's cartoon until the justice league got murdered. So then I thought, OK, that start was just to lull us into complacency; the real show is going to start now. But no. The next episode we're right back to being a standard kids show - but with way too much violence. Who is this for?

This dichotomy is core to the story, as has been said, but I agree with you I have no idea who this is for, except people who are already fans of the comic. I cannot imagine this weird blend of teen superhero/ultraviolence in 45 minute animated chunks being very successful with a larger crowd. They already cancelled The Tick and I would've put more money on that.

It seems good TBF, just I have a hard time imagining it lasting very long, but I hope I'm wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

What's considered the bad era? I thought I stopped towards the end and just found out there were still 40 issues left.

I think I peaced out after the whole rape thing they did, which was issue 110/144. Although I did not think that particular plot point was handled very well, it was more because I caught up with the releases and I just wanted to wait until the whole thing was done instead of reading an issue every month. And then I just forgot to get back to it.

There are definitely times where it gets a bit too mean-spirited and nihilistic, but really I found it to be fairly benign for Kirkman compared to Walking Dead.

Ccs posted:

My reason for peacing out on Invincible was super petty. I hated how they bolded certain words so the reader couldn't put their own emphasis on what they wanted to in the sentence while reading. After a certain point I found it so aggravating that I couldn't be bothered to read another issue.

The comic definitely has this problem more than comparable superhero comics. It's so verbose and full of characters just spouting exposition in huge text bubbles with the same expressions across panels too. Really I think so far the animation has been an improvement.

Edit:

If anyone is interested the whole series is half off right now

https://www.comixology.eu/Robert-Kirkman-Sale-Featuring-Invincible/page/24799?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 29, 2021

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Surprised I haven't seen anyone point out what a visual downgrade episode 4 was. I suppose it wasn't super surprising to see that they clearly spent more money on the first three episodes, I assumed that was going to happen when they said they were doing 45-minute length shows, but it was still kind of off-putting to see these low quality 3d models suddenly being used very openly in episode 4. It wasn't *too* bad but some of the Mars scenes really looked like trash.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The first couple of episodes had some cheap animation parts. Like Mark flying in episode one had some bits where they were just jiggling a still image over the background.

Yes, and this looked way worse than that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not excessive though, its to the point of the story.

If Omni-man still killed people but it was very clean and clinical and we mostly just heard about it from off-screen, it wouldn't work the same. If Omni-man didn't kill innocents, it would be a completely different story.

But if you don't want to see violent superheroes then the show isn't for you, that's like half the point of the story. A superhero story that looks at other aspects of that setting, like the cost to humans and weird relationships the supes have.

It just seems weird to me to be like "I wish this story about superman slaughtering innocent children had less blood in it"

It is why I will always stick up for the Squid ending of Watchmen. Those images are burned into my head forever, while the movie version is so sterile and undramatic.

I don't think the Invincible comic always justifies it, especially later on, but the animated version has done a great job of making the violence matter.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They are two consenting adults in teen bodies and they haven't actually done anything romantic, so idk it's weird but not ready to start calling nonce

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Debbie was white in the comics, and then they made them both Asian/half-Asian-Viltrumite for this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Deb isn’t any more or less Asian than she is in the comic, outside of the voice actor being Korean. I mean I guess she is but it’s still ambiguous unless you look at the cast list. It just isn’t a thing that gets mentioned in the comic and unless they eventually decide to make a point of it probably won’t come up in the show

She is caucasian coded in the comic and Asian coded in the show, I really don't think this is at all ambiguous. You can interpret the art if you want, I guess, but Robert Kirkman definitely did not deliberately make her Asian in the original work like they did here.

Edit: For the record this is something the character designers have talked about doing so gently caress off with that

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 10, 2021

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah. Debbie is basically any suburban North American mom. She doesn't eat with chopsticks or serve Bulgogi for dinner. There's no coding here. The only real indication that she and Mark are Asian are their voice actors and apparently being drawn differently, cause I sure as hell didn't notice. Maybe it's just me but skin tone and eye shape are not enough to definitively say one person is one race or another.

It's a combination of that and also the voice actors. Like maybe it stands out to me more because I have read the comic, but it was a deliberate choice by the creators to make Mark biracial for the adaptation. You can find the creator saying as much. I'm not going to try and determine whether or not it's appropriate that they have Asian traditions in their household, that's a different discussion, but they are Asian and trying to pretend like they are making it ambiguous is a really loving weird thing for this thread to do. No, it's not a part of the story, it doesn't necessarily have to be, people were praising the show for making Will being gay feel very natural and not commented on, and it is clear that they are doing the same thing here.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

It is ambiguous because we're used to seeing Asian coding in other media. It's refreshing that this show doesn't do that.

I'm sorry you did not notice it, but it absolutely does.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really did not expect it to catch on with a wide audience but I'm happy to be wrong!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can't find any source that says 4 episodes other than IMDB only having 4 preliminary entries for season 2. Not sure where that comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Irredeemable is like a less edgelordy version of The Boys. The Plutonian is much closer to Homelander than anything in Invincible. And when Incorruptible starts it becomes about (relatively) normal people trying to take him down.

Irredeemable is pretty good, it is edgelordy at times but Mark Waid is just a much better writer than Ennis. Its main issue is that the art is not very good.