Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Shyrka posted:

Also yeah, should've just went to the universe where they cured cancer and grabbed a few biology textbooks to bring home. Man was not a good planner.

To be fair, it doesn't work that way. The version of Angstrom from our universe wasn't a biology major, so those textbooks would be way out of his league and he'd have no idea how to apply said knowledge, so he needed to mindmeld with a version of himself with the biology knowledge to make anything useful of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the Viltrumite with the knife braided into her hair. I like to imagine other Viltrumites take the piss out of her behind her back for trying too hard to be cool. It could make for some fun fight sequences if she ends up in a situation where she'd actually need to use it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Aces High posted:

dang, I remember it having such a punch in the show, I had thought it was new dialogue. It's such a striking line too, I don't know how I forgot that line over two reads of the series

Then again, I remember when I was a kid, reading Lord of the Rings after Fellowship came out and feeling no emotional connection when the Balrog appears. J.K. Simmons and Ian McKellen just brought something to the lines, I guess

I think it's because of the prior line. In the show the prior clause in that line is "I do love your mother, but" which makes it seem like he's going to say something positive which makes the pet comparison more jarring and upsetting. In the comic he's basically just saying "These fleshy weak things have no real use except for breeding viltrumites and keeping as a pet" which is a much more standard evil monolog.

Also just going from the words on the page Gandalf is basically listing allocades (I am the keeper of the sacred flame etc) and just telling the balrog to gently caress off. Being all "You aren't invited, I've got a phd in magic. Go away." Hence that dialog working only with the delivery because McKellen sells it and makes it hit harder. Also from one of those joke meme videos (this meme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOx7gFwE1oU) I learned that one of Gandalf's people's powers is basically speaking natural laws into existence, so he's not just trash talking the Balrog, it could be seen as him enacting something that prevents the Balrog from crossing the bridge at all beyond just breaking it. "You shall not pass" is a statement of fact because Gandalf said it, as far as I understand that idea.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 18, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Panfilo posted:

The space fight was cool in that the sound effects were very muted (obviously no sound in space). But those Viltrumites need to work on their interrogation techniques. Seems they lost patience too fast and it didn't seem like they got any information out of Allen.

My theory is that Viltrumites aren't actually all that wise. After all, they thought the great purge was a good idea. They made cool science advances, but common sense? Not so much. They rely so much on brute strength that their tactical minds have atrophied to nothing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also Normal Human is so relatable. I too love running in a stationary position!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's amusing that in so much sci-fi aliens don't seem to have any sense of fashion. Everyone from a particular planet always wears the exact same thing, likely because it's easier to draw, but you'd think some of them would get bored of the same jumpsuits and start customising them (the Viltrumites have an excuse that it's a military uniform). It's actually a plot point in Xenoblade Chronicles X's side-stories that because the Ma Non never thought to care about food or clothes because they all hyperfixate on technology, when they meet humans for the first time and get introduced to Cuisine and fashion and things they go all in on it because it's fascinating to them, with a few exceptions like one guy refuses an offer of a toy (so opts for cuisine instead starting that whole mess) because one time he got overstimulated, bought too many toys and his partner got annoyed with him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If Dupli-Kate even betrays the others will she rename herself to "turni-Kate"?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I want to see a version of the Maulers where they are still the same, but they've learned that if they PLAY nice the heroes will trust them to do their tech in peace, so they deliberately go low violence so that they get left alone.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Lol at Mauler forgetting that he cannot be trusted, and therefore neither can his clone ESPECIALLY if he abuses him. He really should have seen that coming. Villains that are supergeniuses are always stupid in that very same way. Also I love Donald, he's just some schlub stuck in a lovely job but he's got better bedside manner than his boss and clearly genuinely cares about things other than what he can get out of people. He's just a guy who's doing his best while stuck in an existential crisis

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also I loved Nolan's moment of "Why do I care? I'm not supposed to care!" then Mark just destroying him with "This is how you should have felt on Earth..." Also the shot of the broken planet during Nolan's montage flying through space reminded me of the shots of the former colonies in Steven Universe.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the idea of one of My Hero Academia's villains who cloned himself a bunch as that's his quirk - one day he developed a psychosis because his clones had a disagreement and all killed each other. In the chaos he forgot which one was the original, afraid to take the slightest scratch because unlike his original, if a clone takes too much damage they'll disappear, and so he has no idea what will happen to him. He breaks out of it because in a fight, a villain breaks his arm... and he doesn't disappear, so for the first time in his life he KNOWS that he's the original and takes great euphoria from it, cloning himself hundreds of times to turn the tide of the fight because he's no longer afraid now that he knows for sure that he's the real one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm curious if there's more to the books than meets the eye, Nolan did seem to think it was important to bring them up when asking his son to remember his good works.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Eve's childhood "friend" isn't much better. Such a pathetic neighbourhood she got saddled with. That's when you start pulling pranks on her like turning her car into a pumpkin so she's late for work and poo poo. Certainly she was a child when she first freaked out, but get over it already. What did Eve move to Salem?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

To give Eve's father the smallest, most miniscule amount of credit, he's not willing to exploit Eve for her powers after spending her whole childhood shaming her for them.

Still a total scumbag, though.

Props to her chem student babysitter though, he owned. Completely supportive and encouraged her parents to see the positive side, they just refused to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm kind of curious what's going to happen with Mark's half brother and Nolan's second wife. I could see him taking them to Earth for protection, so that he will be able to keep an eye on them, although how Debbie would react to meeting a second family of his is hard to predict (although the awkwardness around the second wife would only last a few weeks :v:). It would be amusing for Mark to come across other half-Viltrumites and get to them before their parents can radicalise them, so you have a generational thing of the kinder children vs the rear end in a top hat parents.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 26, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like Donald. He's just a guy who is alone standing among giants and is wrestling with an existential crisis while trying to get through a really tricky situation. His scenes kind of keep things grounded.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Donald ends up going to the Maulers to discuss the nature of being a clone now that he's found out he may be one. That could be cute, them just acting as clone therapy for him helping him cope with the revelation.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also my God Cecil, get better password security. At the very least reset it every time you have to Tahiti Donald.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think that was the idea - Nolan is trying to ignore his moral code because it's conflicting with his Viltrumite heritage. He has had a taste of real love in Mark and it's acted as a gateway drug - the realisation that mark would have been happy even with Nolan as the only constant broke him. He went to the bug planet after saving them, probably not expecting to get attached as they were barely a lifeform to him, but then he fell in love with one but now it was different. Now it wasn't just his wife and new child he had that he cared about, it started to extend beyond potential Viltrum assets to her friends and colleagues, and then to her whole race. He personally kills millions of humans to make a point and doesn't blink an eye, until "I'd have you" breaks a hole in the dam. He's learned to do something very addictive that the Viltrumite empire bred out of itself long ago - he's learned to love. Hence his reaction to the carnage on bug planet. He didn't feel the same as he did on Earth, it was a far greater level of pain. Hence his question, desperately trying to figure out what broke him as a loyal Viltrumite - "Why do I care?!"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 29, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

"Debbie loves me, but really as more of a pet..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To be fair she was likely panicking when her usual trick of "Get full size and splat" didn't work. Even if shrinking back down to just under the circumference of his oespohagus and either lodging herself there until he asphyxiated or trying to climb against the peristalsis was possible, she may not have been in the right mindset to think of it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's kind of amazing how shortsighted Cecil is about Debbie. Of COURSE she's not going to trust you to look after her ex-husbands new baby. You run a government blackops unit which makes you inherently untrustworthy, have had a bad history of unethical experiments on children, a terrible bedside manner and the teenagers who sign on with you are treated terribly by you because you somehow expect them to behave like a military. He can't be surprised when she tells him to gently caress off. Especially since the audience have seen how poorly he's handling Donald, who's PTSD is bad especially since it was artificially delayed the way that it was so now he has to deal with that on TOP of his new trauma, but would likely pale in comparison to Bug!Mark's upcoming teenage years.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love Donald's reaction to being blown off, after begging him to make time he just barks at the rest of the room "EVERYBODY OUT NOW! I need the room." Screw Cecil's excuses, he's going to MAKE time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cecil probably forgets that Donald's tougher than he acts because unlike him Donald is a good person. I'd like to see Donald and Debbie starting their own little Trauma Support Group because they know that Donald won't judge Debbie for being married to the man who killed a million people and Debbie will understand Donald's situation as a robot boi.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Wait what's the joke in Angstrom's name

Oh, his penis is 10−7mm long (I kid, I don't know enough about particle physics to get it myself other than that it's related to quantum physics)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The alternative explanation is even funnier - he actually did grow that beard for real, and ripped it out for the reveal.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In this universe, Allen is Vegeta. Got beaten nearly to death and came back 100 times stronger.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ikanreed posted:

The viltrumites at least have the Sparta model of having servant races to run their economy for them. How the Saiyans managed to feed themselves is a mystery

Well even their average fighters were BRILLIANT scientists.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

<3 Oliver, he's adorable

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Phenotype posted:

How did Rex survive that? He got literally shot in the head. We saw the exit wound, even.

The brain is very resilient, he got Phineas Gage'd. It probably just took time to rewire itself enough to get him breathing again. There's a reason the entire brain is made of a single type of cell. It's an exaggeration of a real thing but it's probably the most realistic part of the show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It could be interesting if they were going to use that as a narrative Thing, like she leaves the team because she feels that she's often overlooked and that no one really knows her or cares about her, and as a civilian she's able to find her place in the world.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kind of feels like Allen should make some time to properly introduce himself to the Immortal. He's in a bad place right now and could use a reminder that not every other non-terrestrial lifeform wants to hurt him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I can only imagine if they do end up rescuing Nolan that there's gonna be the vibe of "You've done a lot of damage to the universe, and it's about time the universe got some use out of you." I'm also curious what Shapesmith is going to do now that his disguise is useless. Will he make a new face for PR, or will he just allow himself to be the Martian on the team?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, but that would necessitate interacting with Eve's family and friends and they all suck.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Aces High posted:

Her "dad" was always a creepy misogynist in the comics (there's a bit in the back-half of the run where Mark has a chat with him about women and dating. It trails off and the next panel is Mark sitting in a dark room with a nice :stonk:) but they really ramped it up for the show. Like, I don't know how necessary it is to get continued evidence that he is a huge loving rear end in a top hat, but we keep getting it.

With that in mind, yeah, there's a fair amount of that in the Atom Eve game as well. Honestly, the game makes me wonder why Eve didn't leave as soon as she turned 16. They aren't her real parents, and she probably still would've managed high school and heroing just fine by herself

Probably because her first friend turned out to be a pathetic duplicitous rear end in a top hat who refused to stand by her as well - she's learned from that that no one is of any real use, so why not stick around her lovely parents if no one else is any better?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think part of the reason they are being weird about earth is that they are too prideful - they can't handle the idea that someone like them, in this case Mark, might disagree with their idiotic behaviour, so are desperate to prove Nolan to be an outlier by radicalising his son. Also they want to prove to Mark that they were right all along. It's like the aliens in The Worlds End - they are embarrassed to have to admit that their methods didn't work because they had to replace 80% of humanity with robots because we are just loving idiots. If the Viltrumites beat Mark to death, they simply prove him right.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I can hold my breath for a long time... haha... you know, just for laughs... haha...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I hope not because that would be really gross. "This woman doesn't want to date the protagonist for very fair reasons, let's stick her with a bad boyfriend to punish her would be how it would read.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To be fair, two of them were caused by the same fist :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also given the nature of his power (i haven't read the comics so this may not happen) Angstrom could always come back given there are infinite realities. Another version of Angstrom who's experiment succeeded could always come back if the plot demands it. Our Angstrom may have collapsed the waveform, but there were only a few hundred of him in that room when it went badly.