Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, the books are either going to tell them all about the Viltrumite empire or reveal some sort of kryptonite for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm curious if there's more to the books than meets the eye, Nolan did seem to think it was important to bring them up when asking his son to remember his good works.

We got glimpses of two titles, and they both seemed like over-the-top superheroic stuff. The one I remember was something like "The Man With The Unbeatable Gun" or somesuch, showing a guy with a hole blown through his chest. The impression I got was that he wrote "how to (kill) Viltrumite for dummies" books for Mark that were dressed up as pulp scifi novels.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

I think the 'book sales' were just a cover for them getting fat government checks, they don't really sell that well.

It makes sense that the money officially goes to the government - to maintain the secret identity - but I do think the books probably legitimately sell that well. I mean, if Superman wrote novels in the DC universe, they would probably sell pretty well, especially if he later turned evil and everyone was poring over them looking for signs.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

SimonChris posted:

It makes sense that the money officially goes to the government - to maintain the secret identity - but I do think the books probably legitimately sell that well. I mean, if Superman wrote novels in the DC universe, they would probably sell pretty well, especially if he later turned evil and everyone was poring over them looking for signs.

Wouldn't it be Clark Kent writing the books in that case?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nolan and Mark so regularly just fly around their neighborhood, directly to and from their home etc. that I just can't believe the secret identity is all that secret.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

metachronos posted:

yeah but everybody would figure it out pretty quick because he's a big dummy who wrote a novel titled "under a yellow sun"

that's some shapesmith level passing for human

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Argue posted:

There's obviously something to the books but it's great imagining that Nolan is secretly an aspiring author desperate for validation

Yeah, I just imagined Nolan desperately searching for the good he's done in his life as death stares him in the face and being like, "The books! The books were actually really good! Read my books Mark!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Omni-Man just had to channel his inner Hobgoblin for a moment.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

metachronos posted:

That's a good question. I just rewatched the scene, and there is no author name on any of the covers we see. I just assumed it was officially Omni-Man writing about his adventures since he seems to be the protagonist.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, the books are either going to tell them all about the Viltrumite empire or reveal some sort of kryptonite for them.

Something doesn't really add up about this after thinking it over a bit. He was writing those books on Earth starting years before the events of the first season, presumably. Right up until he fucks off from Earth after fighting Mark, Nolan was all-in on joining the Empire, lecturing Mark about his duty to Viltrum, the inferiority of other species, etc. No reason to be lying in those scenes that I can think of? His actions looked to be in complete accord with what he was saying. So it seems like he changed only after leaving... but then why was he writing books way before that with hidden info on how to take down Viltrumites?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

He could have hidden something in his own personal copies of the books (that Debbie just got rid of). Omni-Man doesn't really strike me as an actual author rather than the books being ghost written for his cover story anyway.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ I'm sure there was dialogue in the first season about him writing and working on his latest book.

But, thinking on it, given how the show went out of its way to show the books on the curb Chekhov's gun style, maybe he did hide something in them.

-

I'm going to guess Omni-Man is not all that imaginative a writer and used his own personal experiences from his thousands of years as a conqueror as his inspirations for the books.

Sure, he only meant for it to be a cover for his civilian life when he was writing them, but during his time with the bugs, realised it could help mark against the inevitable invasions.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 25, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

wow, I know Omni-man got shook at the end of S1, but didn't think he would turn this fast. Expected them to draw it out a bit more, but cool, I'm with this lightning fast progressions

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It's a weird one where he's basically a religious extremist who believed he was simply stepping on anthills and is now getting radicalised by, like, vegans.

The conflict works, but a little more lip service paid to the actual process of de-radicalisation and deprogramming would be...interesting.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Have they given an indication for how much time has passed since Nolan left Earth? Mark has graduated and subsequently started college, so it's been at least 3 months since.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I think they specifically mentioned six months in one of the last two episodes.

I also feel like Nolan's pretty speedy de-radicalization is more that he was honestly a lot more de-radicalized than he wanted to let on by all of his time on Earth, and the big blowout at season one was as much about trying to reconvince himself as it was to convince Mark.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yea, they mention 6 months a few times.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So season 1 had a literal demon from hell.

How does that work with alien planets? Do they have their own hells, or is there just the one?

What would a bug world demon look like?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think kirkman tried to stuff every trope he could into the comics. Demons (Hellboy) being one.

They even advertised it as such.

I'm really glad they have downplayed the "great man" tendancy, it plagued every plot line.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I read the comic of this little arc a couple days ago. It was pretty faithful with some fairly small changes. The most notable one is that Mark is less hostile towards his dad in the comics, I would guess because Nolan is less malicious in the comics when he turns. Other than that it's mainly just some extra details, like Nolan confirming with Mark that Nolan is his real name, Greyson was made up as Viltrumites don't have last names, it's legal on Viltrum to kill others because them dying proves they were too weak to live, and that Viltrumites operate in small groups of 4 or less.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm going to guess Omni-Man is not all that imaginative a writer and used his own personal experiences from his thousands of years as a conqueror as his inspirations for the books.

Sure, he only meant for it to be a cover for his civilian life when he was writing them, but during his time with the bugs, realised it could help mark against the inevitable invasions.

I'm thinking something along the lines of "The Man with the Unbeatable Gun" being based on a civilization that successfully repelled the Viltrumites.

If he knows any secret fighting techniques beyond "hit them really hard" he didn't seem to use them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So season 1 had a literal demon from hell.

How does that work with alien planets? Do they have their own hells, or is there just the one?

What would a bug world demon look like?

Darkblood I assumed was basically kicked out of hell for being an insufferable loser. He was chilling on earth bring an insufferable loser because he was sure mortals didn't have any way of sending him back until Cecil got his rear end deported.

I'd like to assume earth is like the most unpleasant place you could get sent from hell and that's why he's there, and that they could theoretically send him anywhere if they wanted.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Aces High posted:

Have they given an indication for how much time has passed since Nolan left Earth? Mark has graduated and subsequently started college, so it's been at least 3 months since.

Depends on how much time he spent on the edge of that black hole.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

GunnerJ posted:

lol Nolan hosed a bug

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TIP posted:

yeah but everybody would figure it out pretty quick because he's a big dummy who wrote a novel titled "under a yellow sun"

that's some shapesmith level passing for human
Dude can fly across a room fast enough to turn off a light with the girlfriend loving him knowing he's even moved.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

It's a weird one where he's basically a religious extremist who believed he was simply stepping on anthills and is now getting radicalised by, like, vegans.

The conflict works, but a little more lip service paid to the actual process of de-radicalisation and deprogramming would be...interesting.

If anything we saw additional Omni-Regret in the show than the comics. In the books he still tells Mark that he's sorry, but seeing him flying around after leaving Earth and apparently being broke enough to contemplate/attempt suicide is something they didn't explore until now. Show is being really good about taking things they said in the comic and showing us instead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea, they mention 6 months a few times.

Really nailed the sweet spot in meeting his bugwife young enough that she's still just middle aged now, since 6 months is a full half of her lifespan.

vvv
That's a hell of a lot more mindsafe than seeing it in motion :eek: The antenna hug is cute tho.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 26, 2023

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

GunnerJ posted:

lol Nolan hosed a bug

:nms:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The bad guys here are so loving cool because they're drawn to look like their day jobs first, just a bunch of beaucrats and middle managers, so it's not like you're getting your rear end kicked by Clark Kent the oddly built reporter, you're getting your rear end kicked by Merideth from the budgeting department.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Honestly, the bug lady is kinda cute in an alien sort of way. Provided she doesn't do anything too insect-like as part of a daily routine, I could understand how they hooked up.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

have to say, I don't care at all about the Atom Eve stuff we're being presented with so far. so mopey.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

GateOfD posted:

have to say, I don't care at all about the Atom Eve stuff we're being presented with so far. so mopey.

Yeah, I could honestly care less about most of the stuff that isn't directly following Mark and Nolan. I forget how it went down in the comics, but I wonder if it would work better if Mark was working more closely with the Guardians of the Globe so we had him as the point of view character for all the stuff that's happening with them, and then just give Mark the solo spotlight once he goes into space. Eve too, really -- I guess they want to show her going on her own little journey of self-discovery, but when she's off on her own then yeah, her own solo story is just too mopey and drags the rest of it down.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If I have any complaints about this season so far, it'd be that:

- Things don't seem to come together quite so well as the first season. Admittedly, the season isn't over yet, so that might change. But pretty much all of the original episodes served a purpose of setting up for the big conflict with Omni-Man, while gradually exposing Mark to increasing threats that allowed him to show what kind of person he was under pressure. Here, it seems like there are a lot of threads that are just a bit random, like the whole bit with the Lizard League.

- The Debbie scenes, while good, felt a bit repetitive given how many of them cover similar territory. You could probably cut out some of the weaker ones, like the dick home owner.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Wish I owned a dick home.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

GunnerJ posted:

Something doesn't really add up about this after thinking it over a bit. He was writing those books on Earth starting years before the events of the first season, presumably. Right up until he fucks off from Earth after fighting Mark, Nolan was all-in on joining the Empire, lecturing Mark about his duty to Viltrum, the inferiority of other species, etc. No reason to be lying in those scenes that I can think of? His actions looked to be in complete accord with what he was saying. So it seems like he changed only after leaving... but then why was he writing books way before that with hidden info on how to take down Viltrumites?

Nolan knows Viltrumites pretty well… namely, that they’re assholes. Could have been a backup plan, as his commitment was softening over the years. And all his talk about Viltrumite values may have been trying to convince himself as much as Mark.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

GateOfD posted:

Her dad is the lamest bitch on the show

And her mom isn't much better

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Man, the Scott Pilgrim series kinda drew attention to the fact voice actor work is a p different skillset than live action acting, and I kinda think you can hear JK Simmons (despite a very cool voice and some good moments) is not operating at his best when alone in a recording studio.

But Steven Yeun loving KILLS it.

Sandra Oh is also surprisingly good at this, in a more subtle role too.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

- Things don't seem to come together quite so well as the first season. Admittedly, the season isn't over yet, so that might change. But pretty much all of the original episodes served a purpose of setting up for the big conflict with Omni-Man, while gradually exposing Mark to increasing threats that allowed him to show what kind of person he was under pressure. Here, it seems like there are a lot of threads that are just a bit random, like the whole bit with the Lizard League.
I think both seasons are just a bunch of sci-fi superhero stories, with an ongoing Viltrumite arc. The first season has a lot of episodes that don't advance the Omni-Man part at all and do just introduce new comic booky adventures, same as the second.

Atom Eve Special was a self-contained sci-fi superhero story that just added some background to a character, and absolutely had the vibe of Invincible, despite not furthering the Viltrum story.

I feel like there's a little friction with viewers that are like "when are we going to get to the Viltrumite factory?" but the montage at the end of season 1 is more the premise of there's a load of paralell hosed up threats out there and that's mainly what the content is going to be, with the Viltrum stuff being the background arc holding it together.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Baller Ina posted:

Her dad is the lamest bitch on the show

And her mom isn't much better

Her dad is like some lovely 80s stereotype "I AM THE BREADWINNER" bullshit loser. I can't imagine having so much male toxicity that I'd work at a burger place instead of getting help from my daughter who can literally create gold.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Eve's childhood "friend" isn't much better. Such a pathetic neighbourhood she got saddled with. That's when you start pulling pranks on her like turning her car into a pumpkin so she's late for work and poo poo. Certainly she was a child when she first freaked out, but get over it already. What did Eve move to Salem?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Her dad is like some lovely 80s stereotype "I AM THE BREADWINNER" bullshit loser. I can't imagine having so much male toxicity that I'd work at a burger place instead of getting help from my daughter who can literally create gold.

To give Eve's father the smallest, most miniscule amount of credit, he's not willing to exploit Eve for her powers after spending her whole childhood shaming her for them.

Still a total scumbag, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

To give Eve's father the smallest, most miniscule amount of credit, he's not willing to exploit Eve for her powers after spending her whole childhood shaming her for them.

Still a total scumbag, though.

Props to her chem student babysitter though, he owned. Completely supportive and encouraged her parents to see the positive side, they just refused to.