Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Martman posted:

I figured maybe the hope is that dudes like Omni-Man could successfully (albeit violently) convince the majority of the planet to totally submit to Viltrumite rule so that it can easily be converted into a slave workforce or whatever? I dunno that was enough for me at least. Like obviously resistance would be fruitless but if the whole empire shows up announced people might be more likely to just, all go crazy or something. This way Omni-Man can do a simple handoff

This was always my guess. In theory if Nolan had worked a bit harder at it rather than just being one super hero out of many he could have rendered the entire guardians of the globe redundant early into his career and become the earth's sole protector then eventually just rolled out the red carpet for the Viltrumites which would have reduced the need to just level entire cities and killing thousands to stop rebellions. I don't think they actually care about having to do mass murder or anything, it's just faster and easier if people accept the rule and they can start right away on the enslavement or whatever it is they plan to do; because they're terrible people.

LividLiquid posted:

So done with multiverses,

Unless all of these comic properties doing this wind up in Secret War, Invincible included, I just wish they'd stop. It's a neat concept, but it's been run into the ground.

Multiverses are kind of inevitable in certain forms of fiction after a certain point. Stakes tend to constantly need to go up and once saving the country becomes rote you have to save the world, but that becomes boring so you have to save the galaxy, the universe; then time travel gets involved so you're saving the whole timeline - other dimensions and then eventually entire other realities with their own timelines and dimensions and worlds and countries. Comics tend to accelerate the process but a lot of long running series or settings run into it even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Aces High posted:

Holy poo poo, that's an amazing catch Darkwing Batman never kills, yeah right

I'm really enjoying what they're doing with Debbie, Eve, and Amber over all. The comics were definitely the Mark show, and most of the stories ended up revolving around how that affects him. Much cooler to see what's going on in their lives when Mark isn't around. With that in mind I'm curious what they're going to do with Eve. With her powers she could probably have done something to not have that disastrous result with the playground, but she's barely an adult like Mark, so most of her learning will come from mistakes

Same, I'm really enjoying the directions they're going with all three characters even just these two episodes alone feel more fulfilling than the general trajections the comics took.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The house-hunter husband seemed pretty normal right up until he said they weren't buying the house, at which point he just did a complete 180 and sprinted like crazy in the opposite direction he'd been going up to that point.

That's fairly often how that poo poo goes down when you're a third party observer to that kind of thing, though. Some couple will seem absolutely normal until some guy's wife says she wants to try soy milk instead of whole and suddenly the dude's screaming.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

everydayfalls posted:

I mean sure don’t invite her to bar time anymore, but he broke the rule of the group. Then at the end he is the one that threatens her with violence. It’s just a weird interaction all around.

I imagine this is exactly why the no full names and identities rule is in place; because super heroes go crazy/get possessed or whatever else and kill each other frequently and it'd drag a lot of bad blood into the circle to constantly be sniping at each other about how your spouse was too much of a loser to fight off alien mind control and got everyone killed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mr. Nemo posted:

Luckily it's already been reported, but goddamnit people, is it really that hard to not spoil poo poo?

Goons are really, really, weird about spoilers. More than once I've seen people in ADTRW get really mad about having to use them like, a day after a brand new chapter of something came out or rush into a thread to breathlessly post everything that leaked about an upcoming chapter.

Collateral posted:

They are doing Invincible 2.0: newer and better.

The atlanrean comic was superfluous to the main plot, and condensing it into a punchman vignette was the right thing to do.

Due to the time limited nature of tv a ton of small colour details will get dropped. The comic was 144 issues long.

I'm pretty impressed by how they've reorganized things to make it all flow better. Like, even with season one's content; in the comics there wasn't any serious mystery about who killed the guardians because The Immortal was dug up, brought back to life, and attacked Omni Man almost immediately, and it was only after Omni Man left earth that Mark met Cecil and all the other events, like his trip to mars, happened IIRC. simply reorganizing plot beats made the series feel a lot stronger, but it's not surprising that they have a better sense of timing and narrative weight when looking over a completed series.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Aces High posted:

they may be burning through plot points and arcs from the comics relatively quicker (or dropping some and merging others, in the comics one of the first big things Mark does is go after a teacher at his high school that is abducting students) but I think the overall world is richer, because we spend time with the world outside Mark. When Eve finds out Rex is cheating on her, all that happens is a page of her arriving at HQ, asking where everyone is, stumbling into the shower, seeing Rex and Kate, and reacting in silence. Like other things in the comics (like the "this is so gay" thing I mentioned before) this is how Rex finds out, and the panels from Eve's discovery are basically copied directly and Rex is in Eve's place instead.

I like that the show has the scenes go longer for both Eve and Rex, because it allows exploration of characters that otherwise don't get it. Duplikate never says anything about why she is now with Immortal, she doesn't talk about why she is able to relate to him and couldn't with Rex. Just that extra scene in this last episode gives her more dimension than she got in the entire run of the comic

The comics had a real problem with that poo poo, the scene with duplikate cheating on rex was basically just a joke in the "haha now it's happening to him" sense and the characters' actual reactions and feelings largely didn't exist. It's been mentioned in the thread before but Most of the women in the series largely just existed as like, props for the dudes and had very shallow personalities outside of their relationships and were often defined solely as "the girlfriend/wife of so-and-so" with the majority of Eve's personality being bundled into her unspoken feelings for Mark, Amber just being "hot girlfriend", and Debbie just becoming an alcoholic and largely being off panel for a good chunk of the comic at these equivalent points. The show just gave Duplikate more development in one episode than she did in basically the entire run of the comics.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gangringo posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't some reset to default fail state that Mauler programmed into the mind transfer like not remembering who is the clone. An intentional blind spot to get the obvious original out of the way so the clone is free to make a second identical clone.

I think this episode proves that at this point Mauler doesn't want to actually remember which is the original; because the original's an rear end in a top hat. Anyway, this half of the season ended exactly where I expected it to. Also I'm glad they picked who they did to voice Kregg.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

I remember them saying something about limited compatibility, isn't that why Nolan was waiting around to see if Mark ever got powers? But maybe that's a self-imposed limit like Bee said. Otherwise you wouldn't think they'd keep crying about a low population after PURGing themselves if they could start churning out 'real' Viltrumites on every planet they visit.

Well, they're fairly obviously close to humans so there's probably a lot of weird aliens out there they can't reproduce with. Like, if they landed on a planet of rock people, I doubt they'd be able to make an army of half viltrumite kids no matter how hard they pounded sand.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Collateral posted:

Scifi mating descriptions really need put in the literary bin. Looking at you mister Niven. All it proves is that your average scifi author is a weirdo.

All authors are weird perverts, hate to break it to you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A clone who can dent a knife when he stabs himself with one.

He's a terminator - living flesh over metal endoskeleton.

He might be a robocop! Maybe his head was unharmed in the explosion somehow so they just stapled it to a robot body.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, loving youtube always does this with any show. Search one time to find something out and you get a thousand 'creators' with untagged spoilers and the most unbelievably inane commentary imaginable.

I looked for one clip to show someone something, and now half of my recommended videos are just clips from the latest season but with all the blood lazily edited to be different colours, presumably to avoid automatic copyright detection. My personal favorite is the one that made the blood brown so it just looked like everyone was making GBS threads.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

At about 30 seconds a new (?) character is wearing the exact same outfit that Mark rejected in the first episode; the Tailor guy had it laying around that he was trying to pawn it off on Mark, initially.

Bulletproof? He's introduced in like episode one of season two.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

If I was Dupli-Kate I would simply stop wearing an outfit that showed the enemy how many copies are left to kill.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Slashrat posted:

The series has hammered home pretty clearly that Cecil's primary worry is Mark going all god-king like his father and acting unilaterally in a way that Cecil, and by extension the combined governments of Earth, won't be able to stop. I suspect he'd be perfectly happy if Mark just quit the superhero thing entirely to live an ordinary unassuming life, where he's less likely to encounter catalysts for attempting to make drastic changes to the world, and they can more easily spot it if he does. But since Mark doesn't want that, Cecil indulges him by pretending to give him permission for something Mark would do anyway, in exchange for Mark (at least in theory) only doing it the way Cecil tells him to.

If Cecil was going to make Mark choose between being a Superhero and college, he'd tell the kid to focus on college.

He wouldn't be happy then because Mark would still exist, still be powerful, and still be a threat. He wouldn't be happy until he had a perfectly certain chance to kill him should he ever do anything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Aces High posted:

I'm curious if they're going to set her and Rex up. Also, I am liking all the stuff with Amber and Mark's relationship. You could argue that, in the comics, Amber was written a little more selfish and "demanding" of Mark's time. She's not wrong to want that, they're still kids at this point, so of course they're both a little selfish. There was never this kind of conversation in the comics, which is why a common acknowledgement about Amber in the show is that she feels like a real person instead of just "the girl Mark is with before he pairs up with his ~true love~"

A good episode. I still kinda wish they didn't split the season the way they have

I would really like it if they changed it up so they wound up staying together, but that's just because I kind of like show Amber a lot?

I mean, sure, but the Thraxans didn't have any special abilities beyond extremely fast aging.

Which pairs fairly well with Viltrumites at least.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Martman posted:

It's crazy how well he still nails essentially the same voice.

I'm kinda frustrated by the show at this point, and hell I fell off pretty quickly on the comic too. I think Robert Kirkman has a talent for creating a world but I just fundamentally don't like the way he progresses stories or something.

Like I'm catching up on Harley Quinn and I'm realizing I think it actually does a lot of what Invincible tries to to but better. It's funnier, while still taking its main characters seriously enough to tell genuine comic book stories, while also not shying away from the gruesome nature of its slant on the story.

The way the insanely violent stuff in this show is playing out in season 2 feels more like endless attempts to recreate the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones. But like... you can only get so much mileage out of the shock value before it just becomes obnoxious that the characters keep reverting to Teen Drama characters immediately after something insane happens. I don't think they're meaningfully subverting any superhero cliches, they're just being a lot more gruesome in the way they play out.

The comic was also absurdly gruesome. What you're describing is just kind of the pattern the plot has between the big plot beats honestly. Mark angsts over his personal life, violence happens, something over the top violent happens, people act like it was still shocking, then mark angsts about his personal life some more. Eventually the plot shows up and even more ultra violence occurs, but more intensely so.

My biggest criticism of the show is that they dropped my favorite reoccurring gag:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Collateral posted:

:allears:

Famouslastwords.txt

The Donald and Rick scenes were great.

I half expected Anissa to do the problematic thing when there was a fade. Maybe they will cut it?

:allears: Perfect timing for me to mention that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TGG posted:

I have utterly loved William in this show and he was not exactly a huge part of the comics.

The show took advantage of the fact that the writers know where character plotbeats go to make the early arcs less weird and lame in regards to the side characters. Both William and Amber are much better in the show than in the comics.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ikanreed posted:

The only thing I wonder about now is why viltrumites need a space ship.

It's where they keep their prisoners.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He did say that.

He did, he also gathered up most, if not all, surviving angstroms he could find and then exploded the machine they were all strapped to (And I assume this exploded the machines in the other dimensions that even more were strapped to?) which probably just killed all of the angstroms ever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'd be perfectly fine with the mediocre animation if the gaps weren't so long and that mid-season gap wasn't a thing. But having such long gaps to produce such a middling visual product feels off.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Fiction has a horrible habit of doing this sort of thing - having a monster repent and suddenly we're supposed to put all the evil poo poo they did behind them.

Mark even talking to him beggars belief - Nolan used his face to murder a train for gently caress's sake.

People might be jumping the gun a bit just based on what we've seen. Allen wants to basically have Nolan fight to the death against the other Viltrumites, and so far we've just seen that he might actually regret being a monster after all. The story hasn't gone full hero academia on this poo poo yet, and given that basically every human character except for his immediate family still hate him; I doubt cecil would ever allow him on earth without throwing the government's entire arsenal at him first.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What happened there? I started watching the show, saw it had a designatet sex pest character and sexualised children, and bounced right out.

:sigh: that manga/anime so often do that - great premise, creepy as gently caress execution.

BioEnchanted posted:

I haven't watched the latest season yet but it might be the fire hero/former No 2 hero who was so abusive his wife had a mental break and burned their son's face off with a kettle, and is now trying to be a better person.

Basically this: there's a character who's entire thing was that he was a huge hyper aggressive rear end in a top hat who would go above and beyond to really gently caress up villains, was excessively hard on his kids and had a weird arranged marriage where he pressured his wife into having kids so he could produce a perfect eugenics super child which culminated in his entire family hating him, one child self destructing in a very literal fashion and his wife having a breakdown and nearly killing one of their children.

About halfway through the series the author decided that, actually, he's not as bad as he's been made out to be and spent multiple story arcs not only having his family, including his wife, reunite with him and take him back but just generally soften his image overall so he could be a big cool hero during the lovely final arc.

All of this is to say I'm not expecting amazing things from Nolan's like, sudden realization that other people sort of matter, fiction in general is really bad about this poo poo. But leaping to the conclusion that it's a poo poo redemption arc before it's begun is a little bit unfair, there's a very slim chance the series won't do that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Chemtrailologist posted:

Yeah. Cecil's currently running Operation Paperclip 2.0, so I doubt morality is a concern for him.

That's why he's my favorite character.

I think it's important to note that most of the freaks cecil recruits are still human and still entirely under his control. He very much doesn't like it any time Mark shows signs of not obeying him even though he's well aware there isn't much he can actually do to stop him, and is keeping the one weakness he has on him well under wraps. If Omniman came back and wanted to make nice Cecil probably would because the alternative is being turned into paste, but the instant he had a gun that could kill a viltrumite it probably becomes "work for me or you die".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

While some of the stuff didn’t age well and there are a couple of weird plot beats, I think it’s a bit much to call a lot of it bad. The core plot is good throughout and is enough to probably sustain 6-7 seasons at the current rate. I’m hopeful because so far the show has been eager to make changes for the better, amber’s character and William’s homosexuality being huge examples.

The thing is both the comic and the show lean heavily on ‘shocking’ moments. Sometimes they work, sometimes they really don’t, and sometimes they work for an audience from the time but not anymore. I’m encouraged by the show treating the comics as a good framework but not trying to be 100% faithful

There is a very specific point in the comics, almost infamously so I think, where it just kind of Gets Worse. But as has been said: the show has been making a lot of small and even subtle changes for the better so hopefully they don't do that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

Basically everyone in the invincible universe kirkman bothers to give an origin, and whose powers don’t originate from ‘is an alien’ are either government experiments, tech, or mystical object/curse. I honestly don’t even remember Rex’s origin but it’s probably not something cloning would duplicate. Not a bunch of mutants running around in the world, generally

Basically yeah, there are very few cases of regular humans who just naturally have powers in this setting so robot not having them suggests there's an external reason why Rex has his powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I don't think the exact specifics of Rex came up beyond Rex saying that Rudy stealing his DNA is making his childhood even worse than it already was.

Eve also mentioned that he was homeless when they first met, so his childhood sounds like it was pretty lovely, yeah.