Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah Amber is a cool character, and it's another reminder that even though Zazie Beetz is getting work she needs to be getting all the work. An issue I have with animated shows with great casts is I imagine a live action show with that cast, and a Beetz Gillian Jacobs show is something I want now.

I want to applaud and back up everything SDP said while confessing a slight crush on Zazie Beetz. She really is killing the VA work more than I expected. Really fun show so far and happy to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

All the comic readers like me were going "Alright finally here we gooooooo!!" :munch: when this episode started :v:

I only half remember things from the comic but not going to ask questions now. Probably will hold off until next episode but I swear I don't remember stuff that happened in this episode from the comic. Really, really good episode with a great buildup to a climax that leads to next episodes craziness. Can't wait.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

I feel the implication of her reaction to Mark was just an immature display of someone who had finally had enough and didn't give a poo poo anymore about his reasons and excuses. I feel like when she and Eve were at the shelter and Eve got notified of what happened to Mark but not her she clued in that he was probably a super. She gave him a chance with restarting the relationship, probably hoping that he would come clean so she would feel trusted and respected but he still kept giving flimsy excuses and then him pulling the stunt he did on the campus without even a word of "I will go get help, stay hidden" was what finally did it.

It does feel a little like the creative team wanted to have their cake and eat it too with him finally coming clean and her shutting him down but it wasn't the worst thing

Weirdly I did not hate the writing either. Like yourself, I figure it was just moment after moment of his deception just finally getting to her. Yeah, maybe she could have been more mature but she's a freakin teenager. I remember seeing relationships implode because somebody wore the wrong colour one time or something equally ludicrous. I know that if I was in her shoes I would have to wonder how dumb Mark thought I was to NOT guess he was Invincible and thus, how his goofy attempts at subterfuge made it even more insulting. Weird to hear that people are going insane about the character but I guess that is how people go. I know people give SA grief for being goons but at least they aren't redditors/4chan/youtube.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Y'all like Seth Rogen as Allen?

Shockingly I really do. I never thought of Michael Dorn as Battlebeast but, like Allen and Invincible, those voices are permanently attached to the characters. They could even do a bit where the sound of the voice is influenced by the person receiving the telepathic signals and the reason Invincible hears that particular voice is that Allen just looks like a guy who would sound like Seth Rogan as opposed to some gritty white guy growling. Really all of the cast has been stellar and JK Simmons is also perfect for Omniman. Love how he can believably still do stoic but kind father then switch to scary psychopath. I know his past but Oz was twenty years ago and nice to know he hasn't lost a step. Steven Yeun is just great in this and I hope this leads to more roles. I can already hear some growth from first episode Mark to this one and I have absolute faith he will handle the older seasoned Invincible later on.

zoux posted:

Also there's the line in the burger place about how "it's all anyone is talking about" when Mark tries to change the subject. I definitely felt like they were giving more weight to the civilian casualties than they would in a MC/DCU movie or show.

Steven Yeun was such a good cast, I'll never read Invincible saying anything without hearing it in his voice.
My guess is this was just dipping the toes and will go be a big moment later next season. It IS a big thing and people are trying to process but Mark just needed a moment to NOT think about all of it. Sometimes a person does that in real life as it gets to be all too much so you just want to chatter about some silly bullshit for just a few moments. Just a second or two of normalcy before you deal with it.

Non spoilery review: episode good. Questions are answered but more than enough seeds for multiple seasons.

spoiler talk
Most of you saw where this was going and was waiting for you to get here. Why I was curious about if you guys thought he really was a bad guy. I remember being somewhat surprised decades ago when I read it. CONQUEST! "I love your mother but she is more like a pet to me." JK Simmons delivered that perfectly. The way he transitioned from a loving father trying to reason with his son to the cold teaching his son lessons about pain and loss to that frustration and rage of Mark forcing Nolan to kill him. Mark futilely trying to save anyone and failing every time. "That was your fault. Your stubbornness against the inevitable. What were they doing with their pathetic lives anyway." That train scene was both horrifying and funny as gently caress. "Maybe this time you'll learn." The whole confrontation Nolan just went out of his way to maximise collateral damage. "Why did you make me do this? Think! Everything and everyone you know will be gone! What will you have after 500 years?" "You. Dad. I will still have you." Great delivery. Really the voice cast really helped this whole show. JK Simmons... man. Whole thing was loving stellar. Empire of the Copstache!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

It is. Primal even hits me harder than Invincible does, not sure why. I guess its a more personal story, where Invincible having some random people die is sad but you're less attached to them.

They did a good job of getting us a bit attached to the Guardians in just a few minutes before Omni-man killed them though.

You just got me to watch Primal and it hit me hard right off the bat. I also have no idea why but I love this show as well. Thank you goon as I would have missed this.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

Does Amazon literally want this show to fail? I had no idea the new episode came out, and even looking at my Prime Video it's not on the front page anywhere. I just don't understand what they're doing to this thing.

Same. No notifications under “continue watching” , no banner … nothing. If it wasn’t for this thread I would never know. Weirdly enough I’ve watched the Atom Eve special like 5 times but it refuses to show I watched it.

Episode was good. Can’t remember from the comics if this is it for those certain heroes or there is more. Kinda like that I can’t remember much after the cosmic showdown promised this episode. Better loving include Space Racer as I remember loving that guy for some reason. Better give me uncut Battle Beast!

Show is still good but going to be annoyed if Amazon is like “nobody watched the second half premiere that we forced so time to cancel.” MAX has made me paranoid.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TGG posted:

The massive gap definitely did not help.
Agreed. A guy I work with just got into the show and loved season 1 and was frustrated that season two felt meandering. The split makes it just feel worse. I just told him this was the downtime before the next arc that they just started planting the seeds of and he seemed excited. Like you guys said the comics very much had this problem.

The talk about the planet of beasts and Space Racer got me excited. I really like how this show fleshes out side characters and just has them do more. Mark’s mom is a big one that comes to mind. Amber is another. I don’t remember her having nearly this much in the comic. No idea what is coming but there was a tertiary character coming up that I hope they do more with in the next arc.

I’m the solo fan of Space Racer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TaurusTorus posted:

I remember a similar conversation happening in the Peacemaker thread how we should let the brain eating butterflies take over society, and it has the same fundamental flaw of putting absolute trust in people who have already demonstrated incredibly poor judgement.

Hah - I was thinking the same thing. I’m fairly sure the pro butterfly guy was legit and not just trolling tho unlike the “Stormfront is NOT a nazi” guy from the Boyz thread. Guy from the Boyz thread was more than likely a nazi too, but his main goal was trolling. Poor butterfly guy just wanted a friend…in his head.

Collateral posted:

The same reason humans use cars, I would assume.

ikanreed posted:

They're scared of minorities?

loving lol.