Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a 3rd party Mario game designed by Ubisoft combining the classic Mario Characters and their Rayman murdering Rabbids. Yes, I am obvious.

It’s basically an x-com game, simplified, and made cute. It’s for kids after all, and it’s actually cute and somewhat. I unironically love it.

I’ll be joined by my funnier smarter wife Mistywave, as we tackle this game. I’ll be controlling the single player, and yes, we’ll do all the co-op games too together.

Now, I know this is a kids game, so what’s better than making it into a drinking game? That’s right, I’m ripping off Danaru, and gonna be drinking. My wife will be drinking too, but on her own schedule not my drinking conditions.

Drinking Conditions:
Everytime I miss a 50% shot
Everytime I get hit by a 50% shot
One sip per level rating. Perfect: 1 Good: 2 Fine: 3
If any of my characters get knocked out, I finish the drink
If I get a golden shot, sip.
TPK: Special Surprise
Defeating a boss or midboss: Chug!

Of course, feel free to suggest more conditions for me!

Now, enough of me babbling, here’s the link to the videos

Updates
Episode #1 Wherein we lay out the drinking conditions
Episode 2: I say splooge way too much
Episode 2.5: Mushroom Kingdom's drunkest tour guides
Episode 3: Where the crit rate is kinda borked
Episode 4: The first boss battle
Episode 5: Where we get the best hero
Episode 6: Wherein I get drunk and mistakes were made

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Here to say: I do have terrible taste and I want to hear it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

*implying that sectoids weren't already cute.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

In the background a pectoid grumbles as it adds another pair of plates to its bench.

This game was surprisingly good and I was really surprised by the reception it got. I'm kind of sad it preformed so badly because we won't get another when it's one of the few mario games that gets discounted by Nintendo with any regularity. And boy does it get big discounts all the time.

I can't say I've ever experienced it the way bunny sees it though. 2 tutorial fights in and this is already going special places.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

marshmallow creep posted:

*implying that sectoids weren't already cute.

came here just to post this

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
This game is pretty cute, but to be honest, I don't know if I want more of it beyond the one game. Partly because Ubisoft spent years covering up workplace sexual harrassment and can burn in hell, partly because it feels like the premise of Mario+Rabbids has kinda been fully explored. Like, if we were to see another Nintendo-Rabbids crossover, I'd actually like to see them show up in Pikmin. They're both teeming hordes of goofy mascot characters, but one group is helpful and constructive, and the other is chaos incarnate. Seems like there's some fun to be had there.

Also, my suggested drinking condition is to pick up some vodka, Galliano, and orange juice for later in the game. It'll be pretty obvious when it's time to use it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I am on board for these dada hijinks, including the drinking game. I usually go with stronger stuff but if a drinking game exists I may have to downgrade to cider. Also bunnyofdoom is not alone in thinking of the broader implications of the SupaMerge. To that end I have an Awkward Zombie for the class:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That title screen just gives me such weird fanart vibes. I can't believe someone at Nintendo signed off on "give Mario a loving gun". But even that reaction pales in comparison to: Holy gently caress those rabbit creatures are

so

goddamn

ugly.

It's utterly repulsive.

...The lp looks like it could be fun , though.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So were Rabbids basically Minions before Minions even existed?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It's better in French. There, the name for the Rabbids is, Les Lapins Crétins.

It suits them.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
This is partially the game that had me finally buy a switch. Portable chill XCOM just sounded like a lot of fun and it was.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Ok, so when I did the thread title I was thinking XCOM 2 Pectoids alright. Misty agrees with you that XCOM1 and Verge are cute (Although Cherub is cuter)

Next video will be up tomorrow morning, we have two more episodes recorded, and in the mail today came a bottle of Jeppson's Malort, courtesy of my friend in Chigaco, so prepare for me to hurt myself badly.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Drinking Conditions:
Everytime I miss a 50% shot
Everytime I get hit by a 50% shot
One sip per level rating. Perfect: 1 Good: 2 Fine: 3
If any of my characters get knocked out, I finish the drink
If I get a golden shot, sip.

Of course, feel free to suggest more conditions for me!

Are we going to witness fatal alcohol poisoning live? Because :drat:
Finish your drink at the start of world 3 boss.

Luigi is a stone cold killer who deserves all the respect, Peach is clearly enjoying the rare game where she doesn't get kidnapped, rabbid Mario is actually not annoying, the other three rabbids should be launched into the sun and I understand perfectly that's :thejoke:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Omobono posted:

Are we going to witness fatal alcohol poisoning live? Because :drat:
Finish your drink at the start of world 3 boss.

Luigi is a stone cold killer who deserves all the respect, Peach is clearly enjoying the rare game where she doesn't get kidnapped, rabbid Mario is actually not annoying, the other three rabbids should be launched into the sun and I understand perfectly that's :thejoke:

Ha ha ha, yes, that one I am def gonna drink during it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Update!

Episode 2: I say splooge way too much

This is where we start getting more concepts, and keep getting through tutorials. This is also the end of our first recording session. Next update should be up over the weekend.

(I am real sorry about using that word so much)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Speaking of sales, I hear the game is 83% off on the eShop until tomorrow. The DLC too, if you get the 'bundle'.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So...XCOM except with elements from Disgaea and Rondo of Swords oh and also Rabbids???

huh.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ok, so when I did the thread title I was thinking XCOM 2 Pectoids alright. Misty agrees with you that XCOM1 and Verge are cute (Although Cherub is cuter)

Next video will be up tomorrow morning, we have two more episodes recorded, and in the mail today came a bottle of Jeppson's Malort, courtesy of my friend in Chigaco, so prepare for me to hurt myself badly.

Pectoids are also cute. :colbert:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Seraphic Neoman posted:

So...XCOM except with elements from Disgaea and Rondo of Swords oh and also Rabbids???

huh.

It's a fun little game to play. The Mario mobility elements mean you can do some absolute bullshit with the character that specialize in it.

It's loving satisfying stomping an rear end in a top hat into the ground with Mario and then murdering a clumped group on the rebound, as it should always be when controlling Mario; and all characters have something like that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Update #3!

It's Easter Long weekend, so let's celebrate our lord and savior Shigeru Miyamoto, let's have some rabbits run around and shoot other rabbits with his greatest creation.

There's two videos today! One is kinda just a bonus video really of us exploring the hub world, but the other has sweet delicious content. Enjoy!

Episode 2.5: Mushroom Kingdom's drunkest tour guides

Episode 3: Where the crit rate is kinda borked

(I actually do think that the DLC guns are fudged to proc more often now)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I just noticed that Mario is naruto running. Why is Mario naruto running :(

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The sound cuts out on Episode 3 at the 24:22 mark.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

The sound cuts out on Episode 3 at the 24:22 mark.

Yes I know. Sorry we had a bad audio bit that I couldn't fix so instead I cut it out so that it wouldn't be bad in your ear holes. Sounds comes back at aboutbthe 25 min mark

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The ASCII translates to "DORK" in text. This is ostensibly a children's game so they couldn't say anything actually profane, just schoolyard profane.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I wish the game had taken the X-COM vibes even further. Rabbid autopsies. A shadowy figure on a monitor giving Mario orders who is blatantly Peach in silhouette. That loadout screen from the 90s original with the line of shadowy men in black holding out a suitcase of deniable banknotes, only they're all Toads and the case is full of coins...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Loxbourne posted:

I wish the game had taken the X-COM vibes even further. Rabbid autopsies. A shadowy figure on a monitor giving Mario orders who is blatantly Peach in silhouette. That loadout screen from the 90s original with the line of shadowy men in black holding out a suitcase of deniable banknotes, only they're all Toads and the case is full of coins...

This would make an amazing webcomic.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Update 4!

Hoppy Easter Y'all! Come on, you knew I was gonna post multiple videos over Easter Weekend.

Moving forwards, it'll be one per week on Saturday the vids released. On that note, we're ahead on recordings, so if you have any suggestions/thoughts, telling me what party members to use, it won't take effect until Sherbert Desert.

Anyways, enjoy
Update 4: The first boss battle

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

If you have more audio hiccups, at least layer some background music over it instead of dead silence.

Other than that, having fun. Looking forward to your wife dunking on you.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
In the beginning of the vid you changed the DLC weapons out because they crit more than 30% - yes they do, against certain enemies. You see that 'Against Ziggies +30%', or 'against Hoppers +30%'? That's added crit chance against those particular critters. So you had a 60% chance to proc crits against Ziggies with the DLC stuff.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

SystemLogoff posted:

If you have more audio hiccups, at least layer some background music over it instead of dead silence.

Other than that, having fun. Looking forward to your wife dunking on you.

Yeah, will do that next time. Also, am looking into why it happened in the first place.

Lynneth posted:

In the beginning of the vid you changed the DLC weapons out because they crit more than 30% - yes they do, against certain enemies. You see that 'Against Ziggies +30%', or 'against Hoppers +30%'? That's added crit chance against those particular critters. So you had a 60% chance to proc crits against Ziggies with the DLC stuff.

Oh jeez, I mistook that for the bonus damage vs those foes, not an increased crit chance

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh jeez, I mistook that for the bonus damage vs those foes, not an increased crit chance

Crits always hit max damage (in addition to laying status), so it kind of qualifies.

In the Donkey Kong DLC, the ultimate weapons crit 100% of the time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat so does the boss always crit? Cause that's kinda rude as poo poo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Update #5

gently caress you, Luigi is the best

I love using Luigi in this game cause he's the only sniper we get. Which is a shame. Like, you'd expect one of the Rabbids to be a sniper, but nope.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

drat so does the boss always crit? Cause that's kinda rude as poo poo.

Yuuuuuuup. It is rude as poo poo, especially with some later status effects that are bullshit.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

oooof that fire crit is crazy unlucky.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Seraphic Neoman posted:

oooof that fire crit is crazy unlucky.

It has never hurt me this badly before.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:xcom:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That bad luck fire proc gave me flashbacks towards a specific level later in the game. It's kind of weird how they toned down the random in most places, but in some they shot it through the roof. You have the heavily simplified cover and tons of fixed damage and the variable stuff has a narrow range relative to the numbers on one hand, but on the other you have unreliable random effect procs and fire in particular can randomly hit your own guys harder than the enemy you proc it on.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

That bad luck fire proc gave me flashbacks towards a specific level later in the game. It's kind of weird how they toned down the random in most places, but in some they shot it through the roof. You have the heavily simplified cover and tons of fixed damage and the variable stuff has a narrow range relative to the numbers on one hand, but on the other you have unreliable random effect procs and fire in particular can randomly hit your own guys harder than the enemy you proc it on.

Yeah. If I had to say anything was most xcom bullshit it would be the fire status.

Anyways, 2 things I wanted to add onto the video

This is the big apple I mentioned. The wiki page is a little outta date cause they do have a cider brewery on site which is real good. Once this hell pandemic is over, if you are doing a roadtrip down rhe 401 I recommend stopping by.

2. I am happy to report I did go get a burrito. It was great

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Update 6!: Wherein I get drunk and mistakes were made!

Well, we've figured out my competence takes a big ole drop when I am on drink #8 (Like I said, we pregamed this recording sesh with scotch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah you got a little trigger happy there. Oof.