Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm joining a starting-up Dynasty league this year. The draft is starting later this week with a 24 hour time limit for making your pick. Are there any resources any of you guys could recommend for reading up on so I dont cock up my draft?

I know I'm taking Timmy Teebs with my first pick but I figure I should plan on my later picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Awesome, thank you sir!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MakaVillian posted:

Not sure if we're discussing trades in this thread yet but I've been offered something interesting in my 0.5 PPR superflex dynasty

My Derrick Henry for his Travis Etienne, a early to mid 2022 1st and a 2024 1st.

My biggest problem with the trade is that it will leave my RB position looking like this: Etienne, Mike Davis, Melvin Gordon, James White, Duke Johnson and Damien Williams. How realistic is it that Etienne turns into an RB1 in the next 2-3 years?
I am just joining a starting-up dynasty league this year and even at 0.5ppr I would take that trade in a heartbeat. My thinking is that it may hurt this year but Henry will be done pretty soon with how many carries he gets.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drunk Nerds posted:

Those waffle house punishments cause such a culture shock in me. As a guy who has to serve about 12 daily meals to 2 ravenous sons, do childcare, and somehow squeeze in 6-8 hours of work most days... sitting quietly in a waffle house while someone serves me and getting to eat about 8 waffles that I didnt even have to cook, for 16 hours... that's a pretty good vacation.

To think that it's an "extreme" punishment for some fantasy leagues is... treasure your spare time goons!
Happy Father's Day! As the father of a boy that just got his 1 year vaccinations.... I would do unthinkable things to be able to spend 24 hours in a wafflehouse right now, especially after WFH this whole past year and getting to hear every bout of crying, whining, and fussing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright so I've spent some time reading through stuff on different websites (a lot of what kiimo linked when I asked a couple weeks ago) and I've done some mock drafts on a couple different sites, but I figure it wouldnt hurt to post to see what other kinds of advice you wouldnt find on a website. I'm part of a 12 team Dynasty startup draft; the draft starts next Saturday (a week from today). The lineup is:
QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
WR/RB/TE/QB
WR/RB/TE
WR/RB/TE

It is PPR with TE's getting an additional 0.5 PPR. We're doing a 3rd round reversal; I'm picking 9th.

I did extremely well last year in a 12 team PPR redraft league where I drafted players based on things like target share, vacated targets, average number of touches, and overall team status (I was #1 in points by a good margin, only lost two games (1 by 0.01 points and another by 5)). Obviously one successful draft does not make me an expert but I guess I can say I have some confidence going into this dynasty draft. I targeted specific RBs early then took a bunch of WRs later based on target share/vacated targets and it did me wonders. I've been reading into that kind of data again when doing some Dynasty startup draft planning, also factoring in player age , QB age, and contract status.

So I guess I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for/asking for, I think I'm just terrified of what I dont know since I...
1.) Have never been in a league with all but two of the people in this league before
2.) A number of people are seasoned Dynasty players
3.) I am new to Dynasty

With Superflex and 12 players I expect QBs to go early and often. Depending on who is available at RB and QB when it gets to me at 9 I would prefer to go QB if a QB I think is a top flight dynasty option is there since RBs have shorter shelf life and I know you can get decent RBs later on. If a bunch of QBs go before me and Trevor Lawrence is available I'm not sure I'll be able to resist the lure of a homer dynasty QB...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 26, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sourdough posted:

9 is a nice spot for a new start up superflex, because your league mates may not value QBs like they should if they don't have much experience. If only Mahomes is gone by your pick, I'd probably grab a WR at 9, and aim for a QB with your 2nd. Protects you from a QB run happening before you grab a top 5 one, while also potentially letting you get QB value later when they fall. If somehow Mahomes isn't gone at 9, he's an incredibly easy pick there.

If a handful of QBs go before 9, you still may want to do the above, since that means top tier RB or WR will have fallen, and you can still grab a QB with your 2nd. If you see a tier break at QB, though, don't be afraid to grab one there, much better to have gotten your QBs in order during the start up than to have gambled on some falling and missing out.

But generally, I think you just need to see how the draft goes wrt QB and TE and try to calibrate where you need to target them based on your league mates moreso than how you think they should be valued.
Yeah I was fourth to pick my draft slot; 1st, 2nd, and 12th were gone. I dont like being on the very ends because then so many picks happen in between your picks so I trend towards preferring middle picks (in redraft leagues, anyway, and it feels smart here so I can target and take the players I want without reaching); with the 3rd round reversal adding value to the later picks I went with 9. The 1st, 5th, 8th, and 12th picks are the dynasty vets (that I know of) so I should see a trend before I pick. I expect Mahomes to be gone and QBs to be flying off the shelves but part of why I'm posting is because I'm just not sure haha

If a top tier RB drops I'll definitely jump on it. I'm really hoping to get Antonio Gibson because of how good he looked last year with a covid offseason and being new to the position, how good the WAS OL is, and how Ron loves to run. If he is there with my pick in the second I'm going to take him there I think, because he wont be there in the third, even with the reversal.

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

I like to target good value that falls lower than it should. In my recent startup I was drafting 10th and hoping to grab a QB. When 8 of the first 9 picks were QB I took a stud RB instead. I drafted in a startup last year with 100% identical league settings and scoring, also from the 10th position, and the first QB wasn't off the board until pick 9 so I absolutely went QB. Just be flexible.

I will say that TE premium with 3rd round reversal gives you a great opportunity to pick up a stud TE early in the 3rd. I'd strongly consider that.
I like targeting value like that too. My preparation and willingness to be flexible is part of why my team turned out so good last year, I think. And yeah I am sorely tempted to grab a good TE in the 3rd if one is available, but it depends on if a QB/RB/WR that I want is falling because I feel like great value can be found later on.

kiimo posted:

Hmmm that seems like a really great strategy I am curious what resource you are using for this, I'm sure I could dig for it just curious if you have a shortcut
Unfortunately I did not take a lot of notes on where I did the research. I did some google searches at the time and had found a few of the sites you linked to me last page, actually. I definitely remember one of the things I looked at was this page but for 2019: https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/targets/, which helped me rank players like Scary Terry, ARob, and Diontae higher than they were going in mocks. I remember those names because they are the ones I ended up drafting and, well, they were pretty great for me. For TE I waited patiently and drafted Jonnu in the 12th because TN's offense does a lot for TEs and Jonnu had done well in the back half of the prior season when Walker was hurt, and now Walker was gone. Now this year I'm probably going to target Firkser as a backup TE because Jonnu is gone and Firkser did well as his backup, though they have a way better WR situation and a different OC so I'm less sure of this than I was of Jonnu.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What is unrealized air yards? When the WR got open but the QB couldnt get them the ball, or it was a bad pass?

Artonos posted:

One other thing that I have been thinking about during my startup drafts this year is that it is always going to be easiest to find a good wr. There's just so many viable wr's. The shelf life of rb's is also shorter than other positions so that means more RB's will be available in rookie drafts that are going to be worthwhile.

This all kinda leads me to think qb is the hardest to get later in the life of your team. So going more qb heavy is a positive strategy in startup drafts. Just my 2 cents.
This is how I feel too. WRs have a longer shelf life than RBs but there are more of them producing at a fantasy level, and QBs are usually good for at least a decade, if they're good, with some exceptions like Goff and Wentz.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

J Taylor gave me flashbacks to Trent "Runs into the backs of his own OL instead of through the hole" last year, and got a full quarter of his yards against the Jaguars, including 200+ in week 17 when the Jags were finishing the tank. He is at the bottom of that list for me.

In other news, I start the 12 man superflex dynasty draft tomorrow and I'm terrified.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The 12 man PPR Superflex Dynasty that I've been posting is drafting. Whats the Goon Hivemind's consensus about Dak? I'm not sure if I take him at 9 if Trevor Lawrence is gone. Picks so far are Mahomes, Allen, Kyler, Herbert, CMC, JTaylor. I'm not sure who the next pick will be but I am almost certain the guy right before me at 8 is going to take TLaw, preventing me from taking the homer pick.

edit: nevermind, Prescott went at 7.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 3, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doublepost because I'm curious on opinions. I wanted TLaw or Dak at 9 and of course they went the two picks before me. These are my options and I dont like any of them:

I have no interest in Lamar at all, nor Saquon. Cook and Kamara are RBs on their second contracts so for Dynasty I dont feel like they are good picks. Henry has maybe 1 or 2 good years left unless he's the second coming of Emmitt Smith, and I'm not willing to gamble on that. So I'm sitting here like "... gently caress".

I might just take Burrow because I'm high on him and now I'm worried that he wont make it to pick 2.4

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

VietCampo posted:

Maybe see if someone behind you really wants Lamar and trade back
Yeah I messaged the league that my pick is on the block but no takers yet. I have 24 hours to pick so I may honestly sleep on it. I'm debating between Cook or just saying fuckit and going for Burrow.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 3, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: poo poo, reply is not edit, sorry for the doublepost again. I have people willing to trade from 2.8 and 2.10. I'm thinking I would want their 2 and 3 plus maybe something else farther down? I have no idea about the value I should be asking for...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

People were balking at giving up picks early in a startup draft so I started offering "swaps and a future pick" but no one bit. Now I have to decide between Saquon, Cook, or Kamara.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drunk Nerds posted:

Just go Burrow and get a guy you actually want
I strongly considered it but I'm going to hope he'll still be there at 2.4. I'm banking on his ADP being 19 keeping him on the board being there at 16 with Russel Wilson and Lamar still on the board. I really wanted TLaw but I was one pick too late and I like Burrow but couldnt convince myself to take him at 9, though in hindsight yeah maybe I just should have taken him.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Having gone 0rb in a dynasty start up before I don't recommend it. Some trades are paying way bigger dividends than I expected which has saved my rear end.
Yeah I dont hate having Cook but the long term part of my brain is screaming at me that Cook might be good for 3 or 4 more years while TLaw could be good for 15+.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 3, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sataere posted:

In a Superflex, I'd be hesitant to gamble on a QB falling to me. Also, one thing I'll say in a start up is that next years first still has less value than 3rd or 4th this year. Don't be afraid to use it to trade up for picks.

Grabbing your favorite running back is fine, but make sure you get a building block at QB in the future. You wont get a good quarterback in rookie drafts unless you are picking top two and then you have to hope they'll be good.

If you can trade back for extra 4th through 6th rounders, you can build an incredible team to compete now. Don't overvalue your early picks. Guys like CEH and Aaron Jones fall to the 4th in some start ups. I'd rather have an extra second and 5th or sixth than a first.
Yeah I gambled and Burrow was there at 2.4. I wish I could have worked out a trade to move out of 1.9 but it was hard having never done any Dynasty trades before. Instead of asking straight up for more picks in return I should have suggested swapping more later picks. For example, the 2.5 spot was just traded for 2.8; 2.5 gained a 6th round pick while giving up his 8th round pick - both players have the same number of picks but the player giving up the higher pick gained value by moving his 8th rounder to the 6th.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Gotta ask who you grabbed? Cook?
Yep, I went Cook at 1.9.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ches Neckbeard posted:

At worst if you're not feeling him he's a first and then some to a contender.

Jumping ship on my Fournette mistake turned into Justin Jefferson and this years 1.01 in my case. Be the lunatic deal maker I can't help being it works sometimes!
Yuuuup my thoughts exactly - hope he does well this year and try to trade him next year, or even trade him mid-season at some point to a contender.

Sataere posted:

This is the exact strategy I implemented in my start up this year. With your third and fourth picks try filling up on mid rounders and sacrificing late rounders. You'll end up with a monster.
I do like the sound of that but it all depends on peoples willingness to trade. We have 24 hours per pick so I may try to swing some deals. I also have a list of players I like through all rounds of the draft so I wont be upset if I cant do anything.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 4, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This startup draft finally got to the third round. There have been three stolen homer picks right before the homer could take them already :xd:

D'Andre Swift fell to me at 3.4 and I'm pretty excited about it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

You guys let me know if you get fed up with me posting questions/requests for feedback & advice. I'm the kind of person that likes getting a second opinion from experts/trusted sources - its not that I'm lost and *need* the help, I just like to see what a third-party's opinion is.

There are three picks left before my 4.9 and Lamb, Adams, McLaurin, Hopkins, and Thomas just went. Jamarr Chase is still available but after that there is a tier drop in WR. I already have Cook, Burrow, and Swift. Ekeler, Mixon, Etienne, Jacobs, Sanders, and Monty are all the next glut of "best available based on ADP". This is a 1BQ, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex, 1 Super Flex, PPR, premium TE PPR league so getting a third RB wouldnt be the worst thing (I hate not having good RB options on my team). I am assuming Chase will be gone in the next 4 picks and I am content to wait for WR (I'll probably take one from the next tier with 5.4, though I'm high on Stafford so I may swipe him there). I've also put the feelers out for trading back from 4.9. Any opinions on if a 3rd would be a terrible idea and if not, which of that bunch would be the best choice? I'm leaning Etienne or Jacobs, maybe Sanders with how well he did last year when Hurts came in, and the fact that the Eagle's OL should be significantly better this year.

MakaVillian posted:

:nice:

Yeah my dynasty start up draft (my first dynasty league) was a weird experience. Although I lucked out extremely hard and ended up with 1.01.
Yeah this is my first dynasty draft and it's been wild. We're halfway through the 4th and one guy has already done three trades - he has drafted CMC, Kelce, Waller, and Hopkins.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 5, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Getting that draft itch real drat bad from your posts Muenster. Gimmie them updates in my veins
Hah then in that case I am happy to report that the guy I thought would take Chase at 4.6 took Keenan Allen, the next guy drafted Joe Mixon, and the person drafting before me at 4.8 is one of my best friends who I talk fantasy with all the time. I knew he liked Ja'Marr a lot and has him in other leagues but also doesnt like to have all his eggs in his basket so long story short I got Ja'Marr Chase to pair with Burrow at 4.8, then got Josh Jacobs at 5.5.

edit: I'm starting to regret not taking Stafford or Tannehill instead of Jacobs because a run on 2nd QBs is starting and both those names I just mentioned are gone. I'm hoping Zach Wilson falls to me at 6.9.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 6, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sataere posted:

Is Fields already gone?
Yeah, Fields went at 4.5. The QB board thats left, in order of Sleeper's ADP for this PPR Superflex Dynasty league is:
Watson
Tua
Z Wilson
Baker
Wentz
Bwady
Ryan
Kirk
D Jones
M Jones
Darnold
Carr
Goff
Winston
Big Ben
Love
Fitzmagic

There are six picks left until I pick. Two of which are one guy that already has two QBs who also told me that he may grab a 3rd since they are going so fast and he has this extra 6th. One other guy before I pick again also already has two. Therefore I'm going to be hoping that Z Wilson falls to me. If he doesnt I'll probably take Baker. Then with my next pick I'll probably take Mac Jones if he's still there. I'll be in trouble w/r/t WRs & TEs but I'd rather than than only have 1 viable QB on the roster.

edit: Watson just went to the guy that has Kyler and Fields, sigh

edit2: Zach Wilson fell to me :woop:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 6, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kiimo posted:

Wilson is a great choice there, sure he's a sheltered suburbanite extraordinaire but he's going to play and if the connection to Elijah Moore gets going early that could be explosive.

I'm personally going to take a flyer on Winston late if I can
I like Z Wilson (Wilzon?) because the system that the Jets imported from SF suits his talents, playstyle, and experience fairly well, and the Jets are going to have a top 10 at-worst OL. I'm hoping to draft Elijah Moore so I have two QB/WR pairings. But I also badly want Michael Carter because I saw him play live a few times and I think he'll be amazing in a nu-Shanahan offense, especially with that OL.

In other news, I just got Claypool at 7.5 so I guess I have to rename my team "Ja'Marr Chase Claypool", dont I?

Leperflesh posted:

wait are people still drafting deshaun watson? I assumed he'd likely be suspended all year, even if he settles his legal cases, which is not at all certain right now?
This is a superflex Dynasty and the guy that took him already has Kyler and Fields so I think its just a "I want him for the future because there is no doubt he plays again even if its not this year".

Quarterroys posted:

He still goes fairly high in Superflex dynasty leagues because QB value is bonkers, but pretty much have to expect he sits on your bench all year in 2021
Yeah the QB value is absurd and I am disappointed I waited a round too long to take any of the middle tier QBs I wanted (namely Tannehill and/or Stafford) but I am more than fine with Wilzon because of the pro's I mention above. Its the middle of the 7th round and we're down to Matt Ryan/Cousins/Daniel Jones/Mac Jones/Darnold/Carr/Goff tier. Like kiimo, I'mma probably take a late flyer on Winston.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fsif posted:

I disagree about the Jets’ line here. Top 10 is probably more like the unit’s ceiling from a pretty large range of outcomes.

Becton looked promising as a rookie but continues to have lingering questions about his health. Vera-Tucker has a good draft pedigree but zero NFL snaps. Moses is a solid player, but McGovern and Van Roten are still two JAGs that were starters last year on the Jets’ god awful line.
Thats fair and a good callout. I think part of why I have high expectations is because I think I read that they brought in a good OL coach, and the system they are going to run is OL friendly. I guess we'll find out!

sourdough posted:

When's the last time a QB/WR/RB stack of Jets was a good dynasty play?

poo poo

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm up in this superflex PPR Dynasty marathon draft, my roster is:
Burrow, Wilzon
Cook, Swift, Jacobs
Ja'Marr Chase Claypool
no TE

We start 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, and have two flex spots in addition to the superflex spot.

Trey Sermon and Laviska Shenault are both available and I want both but obviously can only have one. I need more WRs and would love to have the homer pick; Shenault has hype but I feel like its well founded because he did fairly well last year considering the whole covid situation and the revolving door of bad QB play. However, Sermon might become the bellcow in SF. I also badly need a TE and the next best available TE is Irv Smith, who might be great this year with Rudolph gone and no clear WR3 in Minny, and the TE position is pretty thin after him.

After typing that out I am leaning Shenault, but what do people think?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Someone contacted me about trading me 9.10 and 12.3 for 8.9, which I am also pondering.

Re: Shenault vs Sermon: yeah I like both on potential, but they both also have asterisks/concerns

sourdough posted:

You need another QB way more than Irv Smith or Shenault, who is best available? You're actually in a fairly weird roster spot, because Cook and Jacobs are saying you need to win now, but your QBs and Chase are probably not going to be high end guys for a while. Who are like the best 10 available at QB and WR?
QBs have been hot and the position is currently a wasteland, those that are left are:
Ryan
Carr
Goff
Winston
Roeth
Love
Fitz
Newton
Hill
Trask
Bridgewater

As for WR:
Juju
Thielen
Shenault
Bateman
Beckham
D Samuel
Pittman
Boyd
C Samuel
Anderson
R Moore
E Moore
C Samuel

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I pick again at 9.4 and the guys between me and then are loaded at WR so Deebo is on The List for 9.4.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sataere posted:

While I agree about the third QB being a priority, I'm wondering if Michael Carter is available. He's the dynasty running back that I'd be targeting.
He's four RBs down the list right now and he is on my radar too, though I already have the Jets QB so as mentioned upthread I am leery about taking a RB from the team, too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thank you for all of the input, gentlement!

sourdough posted:

I'd easily go Juju, Obj, and Deebo over Laviska, fwiw. I also think you need to seriously consider your window when it comes to the QB wasteland. Ryan would be your QB1 for the next two years most likely, doesn't look like the Falcons are getting out of his deal until at least after 2022, even then it'd be costly. Carr and Winston both carry tons of risk, but could also easily be your best scoring QBs.

If it were me, I'd absolutely be taking Ryan (it's a fairly big tier break after him in terms of uncertainty), then probably Juju or Beckham (though maybe Carr or Winston). The alternative is relying on Bengals soph QB coming off an acl tear (I do actually really like him but temper expectations in the short term!) and Jets rookie QB to be your every week starters...it's just not a good position to be in. If that's the direction you want to go, you should be selling Cook for a haul and targeting an early 22 pick for yourself (edit: not necessarily during this draft, though, unless a great offer comes your way, in season likely gets you a better return).
Yeah I took Cook because I wanted the value at that pick and my hope is that I will be able to trade him to a contender either in-season or at least before next year's draft - there are a bunch of people badly short on RBs (which was part of why I was considering Sermon - to have a backup RB option and/or more trade fodder).

I got a good offer to move back one spot and move up 6 spots in a few rounds which let my trade partner grab Ryan, so I took Carr. I may come to regret this.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 8, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm laughing so hard I'm almost in tears. The guy drafting 12th in this dynasty startup is really good at fantasy - he's in multiple redraft leagues and tends to win at least one of them every year, and he is hyper-competitive. He's been impatient about the draft going so slow. He is a Steelers fan that missed out on drafting Najee by one pick. After the first five rounds he had not picked a QB so I messaged him and was like "you know its superflex and dynasty, right?" and he responded with "Yeah I know, I just feel like QBs are overvalued. I'm going with the vaunted "zero QB" strategy"; he took his first QB with the first pick of the 7th round.... Baker Mayfield.
QBs have continued to go on a run as people get their second and third; at the end of the eighth round I had the 9th pick and I talked to the 10th and 11th picks about taking QBs (which is how I got to move up 6 spots in the 12th to let the guy with the 10th pick move up one slot to take Ryan, who I was iffy on) and we joked that we were conspiring to force #12 to take Goff.

We just waited all afternoon for #12 to make his picks.

He took Goff with the first pick in the 9th.

edit: and I will laugh my rear end off it Irv Smith, Trey Sermon, and Laviska all make it back around to me, which at this point, one of them has to...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 9, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sourdough posted:

Now you gotta post his team, maybe it's actually awesome

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This dynasty startup draft has continued in fits and starts. I have traded back several times when the player I wanted was gone and the next one I wanted that would be gone by my next pick was available and unlikely to get picked if I moved back. We're now about to finish up round 10; I have only made 4 picks in my original draft slot. I have traded back enough that I turned my 14.9 into 13.5, and already have 13.4, so I'm excited about that because there are several players I want in that range.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I need a TE and Hunter Henry is still available at 11.12 in this Dynasty Premium TE. He's lingered for a while and I can understand why considering his injury history and the offense he will be in. I am tempted to pick Cole Kmet instead because of the potential pairing with Fields. Anyone have any strong thoughts going either direction?

Drunk Nerds posted:

That's the best way to play, at least from my extremely limited dynasty startup perspective
I just got burned by trading back too far for the first time - instead of just taking Darnell Mooney about 20 picks ahead of his ADP I traded back 8 picks and hoped he would still be there, but got snapped up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tiptoes posted:

As a Pats fan, I expect Henry to be a better real life football player than fantasy player. I think Jonnu will see higher volume and a larger role in the red zone and Henry won't really stand out among the TE2 options without injuries to Jonnu or the Pats' WRs.

Cole Kmet and the Saints' Adam Trautman are probably the best bets for "young TE about to break out" in that range. I'm a Trautman guy and would lean him over Kmet but I like both as options that could retain value for several years. As for veteran options going in that range or later that are probably underrated, I like Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett. Now that they're not contending with each other and they both got QB upgrades, they could take that next step forward as TEs (although Higbee will have Jacob Harris breathing down his neck by next year).
Thanks for the thoughts, that actually remarkably mirrors my thinking/planning. I'm going to go with Kmet with this pick. I have three picks in the next ~15 and I was planning on taking one of the other three non-Patriot TEs you just listed. Probably Troutman because my team is mostly young, I could see Higbee being a cap casualty next year if Harris is looking good, and in Seattle Everett could end up sharing snaps with Dissly... if Dissly can stay healthy.

I'm also all aboard the Firkser train in TN.

edit: with these the upcoming picks in probably going to go for Troutman, Gage, and Bridgewater. Though I may find a WR to take instead of Bridgewater since I already have Burrow, Wilzon, and Carr.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 11, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Don't bother with Teddy. He's maybe starting 8 games before Denver tries for a replacement after the season. A pick better spent on a potential deep sleeper. Like seriously Jordan Love has potential at least.
Good point. Backup RBs have started going so I'll swap Teddy out with Mattison.

Tiptoes posted:

Also Jacob Harris is going to be a must-have stash in a TE premium league. I would target him aggressively when people start going after this year's rookies.
Duly noted, thank you!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright I just got to do my back-to-picks in the 13th round due to moving a bunch of picks up thanks to trading back earlier on (I turned my 14.9 into 13.5 and I am very proud of myself lol). Here is my current roster so far for this 12 man Dynasty Superflex Premium TE PPR league startup draft:
QB: Burrow, Wilzon (R), Carr
RB: Cook, Swift, Jacobs, Michael Carter (R), Mattison
WR: Chase (R), Claypool, Terrace Marshall (R), Hardman, Gage
TE: Kmet

Feeling a little weak at WR and especially at TE.

Regarding WRs: Chase is a rookie but I'm hoping that with his chemistry with Burrow he'll still put up some decent numbers. Claypool is a bit of a wildcard because Big Ben is old but I think Claypool could be great considering he was pretty good last year when you consider being a rookie in a covid-hosed season. I am not expecting Marshall to contribute much this year but he has promise and Robby Anderson is on the last year of his deal so I grabbed him; I targeted Hardman and Gage so I'd have a pair of starting-WR-on-a-frequently-passing team; they may not be great but they'll hopefully help keep me competitive paired with my RB corps.

Regarding TEs: Kmet will probably need another year (and maybe a new HC in Chicago) before he really picks it up, especially since the Bears didnt take the free cap relief by cutting Jimmy Graham. I'm planning on trying to eventually pick up at least one TE out of each of the two following brackets of the following guys so I have depth/more options for the future if Kmet turns out bad or Chicago's Offense continues to be dysfunctional: [Everrett, Knox, Firkser] | [Tom Tremble, Hunter Long, Jacob Harris, Tre' McKitty]

My next pick will probably be Jamaal Williams to back up Swift, but I am also tempted by D'Wayne Eskridge since I need more WR help. These two are 180 and 179 ADP, respectively; my next pick is around 168 but people have been cherrypicking Their Guy lately so I dont think I can get both (and I think I should take the backup RB first since I already have a lot of youth at WR). If they would both somehow be gone I'll take a depth WR or one of the TEs from the first group above.

I'm also hoping to get a Tutu Atwell or Van Jefferson to have a pass catcher on that Rams offense - DJax *will* get hurt, and if Woods or Kupp get hurt either of these fellas could be in store for a surprisingly good season. I also have a smattering of guys that might either be in position to contribute this year, could see expanded roles next year, I just feel like they are good to take a flyer on, or whatever. Guys like Gardner Minshew, Javian Hawkins, Quintez Cephus, Breshad Perriman, Jakobi Meyers (who I'm a big fan of, he kinda came out of nowhere last year to have a decent second-half of the season and there are opportunities at WR in NE), Gerrid Doaks, DeeJay Dallas, Demarcus Robinson, Keelan Cole, Samaje Perine, Damien Williams

Alright that ended up being more words than I intended, but does all that make sense? I'm trying to feel out how to best handle the back half of this startup draft because I dont want to end up missing something important or picking the wrong kind of players in this phase of "there arent many fantasy worthy starters here forward".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ches Neckbeard posted:

When I say deep sleepers and potential I mean rookie - 2nd year guys. Guys who might end up starters like Eskridge (who I liked in the draft) and Atwell. Wasn't aware that people were feeling this low on Van Jefferson bit he'd fit what I was trying to describe. Cultivate those draft crushes you had back in April and let them come into full bloom now.

If the jags finally scrap Minshew for whoever is offering a day 3 his prospects would start to look up to.
Yeah I might take a flyer on Minshew depending on who is available when. The main reason I am considering Jamaal Williams is because its a 17 game season and it was already hard for RBs to make it the whole year without missing a game here or there and because Jamaal is going to be a "compliment" to Swift so depending on how much Goff is dumping off there is a chance they both end up fantasy viable. And because they currently dont have any other RBs of note on the roster.

I may trade up a few picks to try to get both Jamaal and Eskridge, but I think I'm going to take Jamaal first for the RB insurance.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Everrett and Knox went early so I had to take Firkser early otherwise I'd be left relying on Kmet and a bunch of nobodies. Pray for my TE room. I got Eskridge but I'm not sure it was worth missing out on so many options at TE. Tutu Atwell went so I have to hope that Van Jefferson makes it to my next pick since I wanted a player from that Ram's receiving room and dont have one yet. Though I'm still going to try to get Jacob Harris.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 17, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have three picks coming up in the next 17 and I am tempted to use two of them to help fill up my Taxi Squad with rookie TEs Tre' McKitty and Jacob Harris, with eyes to take Kylen Gransen with my next pick (that is like 20 picks after the third of these three upcoming. I already have Hunter Long because every other TE on the Dolphins is on the last year of their contract. How stupid would it be to have 4 rookie TEs when I already have Kmet and Firkser on my roster?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tiptoes posted:

It's not stupid at all. On a dynasty roster, you're going to want multiple guys with long term paths to viability cause you're not going to be able to get replacement level TE production from a rookie draft like you can RB/WR. If you have the roster space and you're not costing yourself swings at quality RB/WR prospects, hoarding young TE assets could really pay off over time even if only as trade chips to use in larger packages.

That being said, I would honestly have McKitty last of the names you listed and he's one of those rookie TEs you probably don't need at all. He has a great name and the highest draft capital but he's a blocking TE with a very 'meh' athletic profile.

Once you have rookies like Hunter Long and Jacob Harris on the same team, you can probably call it a day but Granson, the Chiefs' Noah Gray, or the Jets' Kenny Yeboah are all worth taking late swings at. And if you want a young TE attached to Justin Herbert who is basically free in a startup draft, you can stash Donald Parham Jr (a 6'8" giant with a significantly better receiving profile).
Thank you for all of this. There are not a lot of WR or RB prospects in this range that I am too interested in. I think I have one of the better RB groups in this league with Cook, Swift, and Jacobs; I also have Mattison to back up Cook and Jamaal and Jermar Jefferson to back up Swift, and Michael Carter who I think will be amazing in a Shanahan-style offense on the Jets. I already have a bunch of young WRs with Ja'Marr Chase, Chase Claypool, Terrace Marshall, Mecole Hardman, Russell Gage, and D'Wayne Eskridge. TE is my weakest group with Kmet and Firkser, though I do think Firkser might be legit (if the new TEN OC is any good). With this being a Premium TE league I was thinking I would stack up on prospects, especially since we have a Taxi Squad that you can even keep second year players on (as long as they stay, though; if they come off they cannot go back on). I was iffy on McKitty but I was looking at the Herbert connection, yeah; I've moved him down and added Parham to the list. I also added Yeboah to my list and may take him as my Jets TE - I have Zach Wilson (aka Wilzon) and since I missed out on any WR stacks with him I was thinking I would try to find a TE to put my hopes on.

Depending on how things fall I may take a swing at Anthony Schwartz, Cornell Powell, or Ihmir Smith-Marsette. I'm also debating picking up Gardner Minshew in case he ends up on the Saints, Steelers, or some other respectable team that needs a QB next year.

kiimo posted:

I think Noah Gray is going to play in KC just from what I have been hearing. The coaches are raving about his route running ability and the fact that they didn’t get Juju to be that big second receiver I think they are going to try to work in Noah Grey in a lot of situations. Remember that the Chiefs traded up to get him
Someone else in this league must have also heard that because he went a few rounds ago haha. I was hoping to pick him up and him going earlier than I expected (higher than his ADP by a bit) is why I went ahead and took Hunter Long.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sourdough posted:

Since it's TE premium, might as well load up on them, but don't expect almost any of those random rookie TEs to ever hit. And you will for sure be able to get replacement level vets off the wire, you just need to not turn up your nose at a guy like Logan Thomas, Jimmy Graham, Darren Fells, Jason Witten, etc etc. Every year there are multiple old random dudes that are seasonal TE1s and 2s.
Oh yeah absolutely. I'm taking a bunch of them in the hopes that one pans out to be decent in case Kmet or Firkser are bad, get injured, or get sunk by bad team offense or QB play.