Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Bjay9 posted:

1.01 Breece hall
1.02 Drake London
1.03 Kenneth Walker
1.04 Garrett Wilson
1.05 treylon burks
1.06 Skyy Moore
1.07 Kenny Pickett
1.08 Jameson Williams
:words:

This is how my league played out (superflex, 3 position IDP league)

e: put my picks in bold

Out of curiosity, why Skyy over Jameson? I don't watch poo poo for CFB but I know that Jamo is generally assumed he'd have been the WR1 in this class if he wasn't injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

sourdough posted:

Picking a guy at 6 or 10 in this draft isn't a big difference imo, big tier of whatever for most of the 1st

For sure. I'm always just curious to hear the logic behind why people pick a certain guy at a certain spot. Mostly because I'm just now getting bigger into dynasty and not watching CFB at all. Relying on other interpretations of when and why I should draft a guy and only watching film breakdowns (as opposed to games) is such a foreign concept to me. But so far I really like it.

And, to contribute a little bit, I just started a FFPC dynasty team co-managed with my brother, mostly just so we have something to tinker with during the offseason and stop drafting best ball all the drat time.

We were given pick 1.11, which was definitely a bummer for us because we wanted one of the top QBs to attempt to compete right away. We made a few trades and walked away with Lamar at 1.06 (which I found shocking) and Pitts at 1.11. Pretty pleased with everything thus far, except we were on the tail end of a huge WR run in the third round and had to settle for Tua over the guys we wanted at WR like DJ Moore, Diggs, etc.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Pain of Mind posted:

The tweet showing him winning the finals by 6 when his kicker got 17, shameful and why kickers should be banned.

It's probably because I've been hitting best ball so heavily (already) this offseason, but I just can't really engage in any format with a kicker anymore. Defenses are pretty boring as well, but at least you routinely benefit from having a decent defense that continually produces turnovers. And it doesn't seem like a complete crapshoot finding a decent D. I just wish the one league I'm in with defense gave points for 4th down stops.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Finished our FFPC TriFlex Dynasty startup draft if anyone is curious. PPR + TE Premium

Our team is Cement Surfboard. We were assigned pick 11, traded up to the 1.06 because Lamar was still on board and gave up our 2023 1st round and got a 2023 3rd back in the deal as well. Flipped the 2023 3rd to trade up later in the draft.

This is our roster

We have all 2023 picks except our 1st rounder. Very happy with the draft. We're obviously pretty weak at RB but with Pollard and Gainwell I'm not terribly concerned considering it's full PPR. Hit on the very end of our talent tiers in R1 (Lamar and Pitts) but missed hard in rounds 3 and then 4. Wanted Diggs but settled for Tua, then wanted Davante but settled for Treylon Burks. Still not totally sold on Burks returning his ADP this season but we're hoping he grows into a true WR1.
A few other thoughts: absolutely stoked about our TE depth. Pitts is obviously set and forget the whole time he's healthy and both Irv Smith and Tonyan should be great fill ins and flex options in a pinch, considering this is TEP. The one pick I'm really not sure on is Badie. Chris Evans was our other thought, but we liked the ceiling on Badie; if he hits, he hits huge. Justice Hill doesn't look good and if Dobbins or Gus Edwards miss time we're hoping Badie is able to answer the call.

Feel free to be critical, the offseason is boring as hell as is.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 6, 2022

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Pain of Mind posted:

I am not a fan of it, it feels kind of risky to me since you need a bunch of players to all hit their ceiling (Tua, Hill, Pitts, Burks) to be competitive. It looks like you are below average at QB, substantially below average at RB though Pollard could pay off in a few years, solid at WR but not exceptional, and above average at TE with the potential for a lot of variance due to Atlanta needing to rebuild. Without trying to figure out the other teams in your league since the roster board makes that unreadable, I would put your team in the bottom 6, which is more painful since somehow it cost you next years first to end up like that. Then again, I am wrong about everything so you could very well slaughter your league, what do I know.

Appreciate the feedback! I think I mentioned it before, but I have experience with redraft, keeper leagues, and I've been doing best ball pretty hard so I'm always open to feedback about dynasty anything. Or not, no big deal.

And, yes, the UI on FFPC completely sucks rear end...but here are the other rosters

Given how I value the various rosters (again, mostly from a best ball/redraft standpoint) based off of the draft alone I'd say we have a decent chance to be top 4. Of course that relies on guys hitting their ceiling. Pitts, Tua, Tyreek, Burks, everybody. The one early pick I'll give you being really sketchy, especially year one is Treylon Burks. We're just hoping he gets a decent snap % and target share and hopefully the full PPR format takes care of the rest. Same for Pitts. The guy will be on the field constantly because he does everything extremely well and that'll eventually translate to targets and points.

As for the other dudes; Tua now has Tyreek to throw to and an offensive line that's hopefully not pure garbage. Brian Daboll is HC for the Giants and we're hoping that translates to Danny Dimes being something like a REALLY poor man's Josh Allen. Ok, even that's a stretch, but we're hoping we only need him as a bye week fill this season and maybe can develop into something resembling Mariota but, you know, better. The same pretty much applies to our WR corps. We really wanted positional advantage at QB and TE because we feel really confident at assessing WR and RB talent and I think we've more or less done that. Would I prefer to have Josh Allen, Herbert, JT, Justin Jefferson and Ja'Marr Chase? Yep. But considering we left the first round with 2 guys we considered tier 1 after being assigned the second worst pick in the startup draft: I'm drat happy with it.

The other roster I think is definitely better than ours, at least in the short term, is Dynasty Depot. They had a massive amount of value fall to them throughout the draft and there wasn't a whole lot we could do about it.

sourdough posted:

Fwiw I was thinking about the same, team looks very weak at RB and ok with depth at WR but without any surefire set and forget studs. Tua as an every week QB2 is scary. Losing the 2023 1st is rough. Even if say Tyreek's production doesn't drop trading Mahomes for Tua and Burks is a WR1 as a rookie, you're still probably going to struggle to be a top tier contender with those RBs.

Yeah we more or less went in with the knowledge that we underrate RBs compared to pretty much everyone else. Our logic is that if you get a Pitts, or even a Lamar to a lesser extent, they should be around the league for a drat long time. So you could build teams around them for 8+ years. But if we went JT and/or Najee our window to win was more or less 1, 2 or 3 years absolute tops.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 7, 2022

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Oh my bad, it's full PPR (1.0) and TEP (1.5). Everything else is fairly standard though. 4 points for passing TD and 6 for everything else, etc.

If you think that's wild, check out some Main Event draft boards from last year. Waller was going at pick 2-12 overall.
e: Googled a bit and found one of Evan Silva's from 2021 (he picked 1.03). Dude looks like he smashed that draft to me https://myffpc.com/FFPCDraftBoard.aspx?refid=A09-680778DDC165&refid=A09-680778DDC165

Leperflesh posted:

James Starks has three 2023 1st round picks and three 2nds as well. He's gonna have a hell of a draft. Are you doing salaries?

e. Zeke is RB27? Dang.

Not entirely sure what you mean by salaries. Each draft, including startup, is just a straight up snake draft. Rookie drafts included. Otherwise, waivers are FAAB, yeah.

And, yeah, I'm still shocked by Zeke's ADP in best ball too. I literally drafted him in a best ball 5 minutes ago at pick 48. Like...he was playing hurt all last year and was RB5. In dynasty I get fading him slightly because he's "old" for a RB but in best ball? Yeah I'm taking him any time I don't need have another pressing need in that spot.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 8, 2022

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I agree Zeke is more or less a short term investment in dynasty when compared to a lot of guys around the same spot ADP. The only thing about Pollard is he SUCKS at pass blocking so he'll likely never be a workhorse back in his own right. And it just so happens that Zeke is one of the best pass blocking RB's I've ever watched so it makes sense, strictly from that perspective alone, that he gets such a huge snap %.

Leperflesh posted:

Salaries is how you keep owners from keeping the same good players forever in dynasty: their salaries rise, and everyone has to keep their roster under a salary cap. If you don't do salaries or maximum contracts or something along those lines, someone who picked up Mahomes 143rd in his rookie year gets to keep him for his entire career.

Ah, got it. Nope no salaries here then! I figured I didn't have that quite right but as this is my first dynasty league wasn't sure. One of my other redraft leagues transitioned to keepers in the last year but we give up picks instead of salary on guys. Though I do have my choice of Deebo (7th round), Burrow (4th round), and JK Dobbins (10th round) to keep in that league. :banjo:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Spoeank posted:

- Tua isn't a deep ball guy (#31 in aDOT, #14 in catchable deep ball rate)

Wasn't Miami's line 31st or 32nd last year? Hard to throw deep balls, especially with accuracy, when you have next to no time in the pocket.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Tyreek is faster than Deebo but does he have the full on RB skillset that Deebo does? They're both great players in their ways but I doubt Tyreek can replicate last years Deebo with Waddell being legit.

I don't think he's saying Tyreek is going to be Deebo. But rather that McDaniel was great at scheming a guy like Deebo touches. And because Miami used a LOT of draft capital on Tyreek they're going to do their best to feature him.

Tyreek going to get work.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Another thing to remember about Hurts is he only started 4 games in 2020 and that was with completely different coaching staff. Sure he had more NFL experience than all of the rookie QBs who started 2021, but comparing him to them I thought he did great. Especially when you consider he had to learn two systems within two years.

I'm all over Hurts again this year.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The overwhelming majority of dynasty leagues I'm aware of do the rookie draft ~a week after the NFL draft. Waiting until kickoff for rookie drafts in dynasty sounds like something I'd only consider if I was in a league that wasn't very competitive.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tiptoes posted:

In a dynasty league, I think it's ideal to do your rookie drafts as close to the NFL draft as possible so that every offseason narrative and news segment can potentially be points of interest that lead to trades. More potential interaction between owners instead of them waiting until everything has played out to pick their guys. Also there's a greater chance of later round picks actually hitting as an earlier draft will have more unknown variables and it will more closely reflect the actual draft capital spent on the players but once you get to training camp, any news blurbs will massively impact ADP.

:emptyquote:

I'm only in the one dynasty league (posted the startup draft I did a bit ago), but I nerd out over dynasty with a few folks who are more experienced and this is my exact take away as well.

Game-Blouses posted:

This will be my first rookie draft in my new dynasty league. We are kinda splitting the difference and starting in mid July. 24 hour pick clock to allow for trades to be explored. We’ll see how it goes. People were getting bored, but also understood the value of waiting for preseason…

Post your results when your draft is on!

fennesz fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 26, 2022

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

MVS on the Chiefs is this year's homer pick for me that I tell myself not to reach on and then do it anyway. MVS did an interview where he said he basically didn't run a lot of intricate routes in Green Bay, that his job was to be the go route and post route guy to take a safety and extra coverage off of Davante Adams if he could. But on the Chiefs they've had him running all the route trees at X and Y. He was without a doubt the star of the OTAs and that might carry into camp. Lots of opportunity with Reek gone and Juju has been pretty quiet.

I'm really glad to see someone with the same thoughts on MVS. I'm a Packer fan. Rodgers missed MVS a LOT on his deep routes this year. MVS also had no drops in 2021 - which is the thing I keep seeing people bring up as the biggest knock against him.

I thought MVS improved quite a bit in 2021 and I he's consistently a WR I've been targeting in my many best ball drafts thus far.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I actually have the opposite take. Drafting earlier rewards the managers who are better at assessing some combination of talent, potential and landing spot as opposed to drafting later. If you draft, say, a week before kickoff you can just use the extra time during the summer to study up on players and wait for the ADP to completely flesh itself out. I don't watch CFB and managers who follow it all season and into the NFL draft rightfully have an advantage over players like me. I'm almost entirely dependent on watching film reviews and writeups to make my decision.

Sure it sucks ETN tore his ACL had a lisfranc injury last year but that could have happened during the combine, minicamps, OTAs, workouts, etc.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 26, 2022

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

RCarr posted:

College football sucks

Thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Cat Hassler posted:

I took it as a pun on “open back up” that was a slogan when everything was shut down due to COVID but :shrug:

:lol:

I actually kind of like the thread title now. It's so bad it's good.