Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'll make an OP later, but I wanted to make this new thread since we are collecting data and asking great questions a few months earlier than usual and want to make sure it's all in one convenient place.

Edit: Holy crud my life exploded after making this. Here's the 2020 OP, sorry:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920321#post504165238

RCarr posted:

What are most leagues doing now that they added a week 18 to the season? Playoffs in week 16-17?

Good question, I'm going to keep it the same (week 16 finals) until I see how the season shakes out. Can't go wrong holding a finals 2 weeks before the season ends. EDIT: Week 14 has NFL teams on bye, so leagues with 3 week playoffs should start them on week 15.

We're gonna be doing a mock every weekend around midday PST. We filled up over half a mock today and I NEED DATA!

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

Sure is. I'll PM you an invite.

This gets us to the halfway point. Looking for six more

I can help fill this out. A lot of goon-adjacent people have been asking about joining a startup dynasty league with cool peeps

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

EconDad posted:

You joining, Drunk Nerds?

I'd love to: I'm doing my first dynasty startup draft with my friends and we are having an absolute blast.

But my son is going through some temporary health issues, and I need to devote every spare minute to getting him through this.

Then, when that's done I'm bringing back the Goon Fish Bowl. I have an idea on how to use it to raise money for charity that will take up a lot of my time.

Awesome, thank you! Will let you know, we're going to give goons first crack at it for a little bit longer and then open it up to cool goon-adjacent folks. We're at 6/12 so far but I feel like this thread doesn't get a ton of traffic in May.

Good. And just in case anyone doesn't know: Reach out to me if you need help filling out a league. There are a lot of chill peeps on our discord that fit in great with goon leagues but are just too busy to seek them out on their own.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

Does anyone know if sleeper has dynasty salary cap options? I’d like to move on from MFL

I just checked the App: They do.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Okay I'm glad this is being brought up. Here's the deal:

In an attempt to remove problematic fantasy language such as "owning" a player, the big sites are using "salary cap" as synonymous with "auction."

I'm all for the movement, and constantly edit words like "owner" and "owned" into "manager" and "rostered."

But salary cap leagues already were a separate thing from auctions, which creates confusion among veteran fantasy players.

It'd be brain-dead easy to just call auction leagues "budget" leagues or some other non-problematic term that's already in use.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 14, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I've had a lot of success doing 8 hour time with a 7 PM-7 am est cooldown(you can pick but there's no timer). Using Sleeper

Would anyone be interested in a mock redraft auction tomorrow at, say, 3 est? I'm getting tired of styling all over these bots and need to start collecting real data

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

ChocolatePancake posted:

Personally I would mash accept on that trade.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I think I'm gonna mocktion at 5:30 PST. I'll link in here if anyone is up for it.

Gonna be a fast one: 10 seconds to nominate, 10 seconds to bid.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 25, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Okay, firing this fast auction off in 30 minutes, if anyone wants to jump in
https://sleeper.app/draft/nfl/703038967708188672?ftue=commish

Again, it's 10 seconds to nominate, bidding countdown starts at 10 seconds... the goal is to finish this in the same amount of time as a mock snake

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 26, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

generic one posted:

I realize this is from a couple of weeks ago, but I just had a thought on charity fundraising via fantasy football: Some leagues charge for waiver wire additions. Instead of adding those charges to the pot, could always put those extra funds in the charity bucket.

Sounds like you’ve already got an idea in mind, but figured I’d throw that out there. :)

Edit: Something like a 50/50 split could work, too. Half to the pot, half to charity.

Keep the great ideas coming! I hammered out most of the OP for the 2021 GFB this morning. I run ~10 charity drives a year through various orgs, and linking the revenue stream to some sort of event mechanic multiplies the donations by 10x

I love throwing in a buck to charity for every waiver wire move. The question is, how do I verify those donations quickly? Like, no one wants to make a buncha $1 donations, then have me review them to see if someone else also made a $1 donation waiver claim that had priority and reverse those donations. Alternate options are to just sum up $1 donations and get people to donate a lump some at the end. But then what if someone flakes after whiffing on a prize?

Leagues I've been in that do this have everyone donate like $20 that is refunded if they make less than 20 moves. But that goes against the "We run this league to thank you for the support early in our careers" aspect.

This really feels like one of those cases where there's some obvious easy answer that I just can't see because I'm a giant pile of rules neuroses, lol.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 31, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm not a big dynasty guy, but changing positional requirements without some element of redraft doesn't make sense to me. It's a rule change, and any rules change should affect all teams equally or it is unfair by definition.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

... scratch this. Guy at 1.03 tried to pretend he paid this year's dues last year and, when it was pointed out that he hadn't, he immediately quit the league. I'm assuming the new owner will recognize that Tua + Cam + Fitzmagic is not a QB room built for long-term success and will eschew picking an RB at that spot

Just so I can know how much to laugh at this guy, how much are league dues?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Kimo, is this the same league that is switching to Superflex next season?

If so, and I don't mean this humorously, is the commissioner having some sort of fit of mania?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

Great suggestions. Yes this is the team that is switching to superflex so we're changing the entire league. We should re-draft. It's going to be a hard sell though and I'm not the commish but I will forward this stuff to them.

I'm already in four leagues lol

I would insist that I paid this league's dues last year, then if called on that I would quit.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Those waffle house punishments cause such a culture shock in me. As a guy who has to serve about 12 daily meals to 2 ravenous sons, do childcare, and somehow squeeze in 6-8 hours of work most days... sitting quietly in a waffle house while someone serves me and getting to eat about 8 waffles that I didnt even have to cook, for 16 hours... that's a pretty good vacation.

To think that it's an "extreme" punishment for some fantasy leagues is... treasure your spare time goons!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dxt posted:

If having kids makes spending 24 hours (minus waffle time) in a waffle house sound great, then I'm sure glad I don't have any. I even like waffle house.

It's 95% agony and 5 % ecstasy, like licking Rex Ryan's feet for heroin.

My kids just got into doing charity work and cool video games. If I can just get them to like fantasy football I will be spending all of my spare time hanging with them.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 21, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Are there plans for fishbowl this year? I feel like I have to ask as the goon representative of the reigning champion

I want to do it. I even have the OP written and a charity drive hook. However, a close family member is going through potentially permanently debilitating health issue. Until they get a diagnosis I can't commit to anything, anywhere.

It's not my son, either, who had huge health issues mentioned upthread. It's been a rough Spring.

Sorry for bumming everyone out. Please rank the following:
Sbarkles (that's what I call Saquon Barkley)
Jay-Tay (that's what I call Jonathan Taylor)
Nick Chubb (that's what I call Nick Chubb)
Kamara
Cook
Henry

I go
1. Cook
2. Jay Tay
3. Sbarkles
4. Henry
5. Kamara
6. Chubb

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

CMC is his own tier

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ches Neckbeard posted:

cross posting. better update your draft boards cause Josh is coming back

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1411052772447956993

reposting from our discord, I did a deep dive into this:
I would be surprised if he ever gets suspended again. These drug tests are under the NEW NFL rules:
35 nanograms per sample was the old test, 150 ng is the new threshold
If you smoke every day, you probably don't have 150 ng. If you smoke every day but not today, you probably have SEVEN ng/ml
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2784185/
There's a dude in that study who smoked an ounce a day, and on the first day of testing his ng/ml was 0.7

Reading through thed NFL's policy on substance of abuse before my conclusion. But I remember checking this out at the time and thinking "there's no way someone can flunk this"
Yep 150 ng/ml https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/2020-Policy-and-Program-on-Substances-of-Abuse.pdf

Also no one failed the Substance of Abuse test this year. Gordon might even be a fantasy asset

I looked at a lot of raw data: You would have to like actively smoke up 6 hours or sooner before the test to fail

Now, the flip side to this is I could only find one study where people were anywhere near 35 ng/ml, and it was people who were actively high. Since presumably some NFL players flunked the test while, you know, not getting high before it, there's some fishy stuff with the data. But the fact that no one flunked a Substance of Abuse test this year tips everything to the "it's really hard to flunk this test" jar.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 3, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Problem is according to Josh he abuses many many substances. If they're still testing due other things he could get popped that way or if they're still doing provisions like they had been before for guys popped for use of all kinds of fun drugs.

Agreed, and you make a solid point. Yet but no other Substance of Abuse lasts in the system as long as THC. For instance, marijuana stays in your pee for a month, but opiates it's 72 hours. Most drugs metabolize into other chemicals in 3 days. He could still piss hot, for sure, but if he was getting busted for THC, which is the most likely, he prob won't this year. Lots of NFL athletes do lots of stuff, but not one of them pissed hot under the new rules in 2020.

If it's opioids he is using regularly, which is possible, then yeah he'll probably fail a test for it. Everything else doesn't really have the combination of pain relief and lasting long in the system.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

People were balking at giving up picks early in a startup draft so I started offering "swaps and a future pick" but no one bit. Now I have to decide between Saquon, Cook, or Kamara.

Just go Burrow and get a guy you actually want

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

This dynasty startup draft has continued in fits and starts. I have traded back several times when the player I wanted was gone and the next one I wanted that would be gone by my next pick was available and unlikely to get picked if I moved back. We're now about to finish up round 10; I have only made 4 picks in my original draft slot. I have traded back enough that I turned my 14.9 into 13.5, and already have 13.4, so I'm excited about that because there are several players I want in that range.

That's the best way to play, at least from my extremely limited dynasty startup perspective

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm doing an experiment: Whenever I have time I jump into an all-bot Yahoo auction and bid $186 on Dwayne Haskins and drop out.

I'm hoping to gain insight on how Yahoo! gets it's proj. salary. Also it'd be really funny to run up the price of Dwayne Haskins!

Also, if anyone is in a mock auction with mostly humans (1-2 bots is okay). I'd greatly appreciate you sending me the results. I'm part of a team of people analyzing human data to get you real, actual trends that aren't affected by all the horrible bot bidders.

Finally, if anyone wants to mock and obviously hates bots in mocktions, message me. I've amassed a group of mocktioneers and we can usually fill a 12-team. Human-based data is rare and valuable.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm going to fill an auction mock room at around 1:30 PM PST. All-Human mocks are hard to come by but are the only source of real data since bots absolutely suck at mocking auctions.

I'll post the link in here at around 12:50 PST. This will fill by the time it fires.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
14 team mock auction I'm filling in ~40 minutes
https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/mock_waiting?mlid=7098549&lobby=auction
Room: Delay of Game

I've been able to fill these pretty much 100% of the time, so :getin: if you want rare, valuable all-human auction data. Plus fun!

Edit: Almost filled but a lot of people didn't show up. We are filling up a 12 teaqm that should yield better data. Room Squib Kick on Yahoo, fires in 8 minutes. Already at 9/12

Edit 2: it's filled. Hope there are some goons in here besides me and sataere

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 22, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Filling out a 12 team mock auction that starts in 30 minutes
Filling up a 12 team that starts in 30 minutes
https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/mock_waiting?mlid=7150571&lobby=auction
Room: Fake Punt

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pain of Mind posted:

What do people think of Hurts? His ADP is all over the place where some places have him as QB20 and others as QB8. In a 10 team Superflex keeper league I have an option to keep either Stafford or Hurts as an early 4th round pick. I have them ranked fairly evenly, but I want to pick them both for different reasons:
Stafford - A safe pick that should be reasonable value for his ADP and is unlikely to waste the draft pick
Hurts - Play to win the league, not just have a solid team that will likely make it to the playoffs, with the risk that you might just end up in last place.

Pretty much all of the top QBs are kept as keepers or will be almost guaranteed to be drafted before my first round pick, so effectively the top tier of QBs left are like Herbert, Stafford, Hurts, Burrow, and Tannehill.

Jesus, keep Stafford. He's a vet who just upgraded his entire receiving core and coaching staff. Hurts is a fantasy asset who has nobody to throw to and might get benched.

I literally got up from caregiving and went to my posting comp to tell you this. Those of you who know how busy my evenings are will know: that's something important.

1000/1000 times: Keep stafford in the fourth in SF

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ches Neckbeard posted:

If that's the same former Cleveland brown Antonio Callaway don't fall into that trap. It's only a matter of time before he's arrested for something dumb and his stone hands show.

Well, hold on. Both cuts were before the CBA raised the testing limit to a level of THC that is really, really hard to achieve.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He was getting busted for possession by the cops.

Well, never mind, then!

To distract everyone from my idiocy:

This Saturday, at 1 PM PST, we are going to fill a 10 team Superflex PPR Mock auction.

https://sleeper.app/draft/nfl/726630234786533376

This is an opportunity to get ahead of your SF auction leagues. Would love some of you genius, super sexy goons in there!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pain of Mind posted:

I might join, just unsure how likely it would be for me to do a complete draft without wife or kids forcing me to leave before it is completed. I guess if it is not full it is better than nothing, but I don't want to take a spot from anyone else.

It's not full yet!
Just join in and drop out later. The most useful data comes in the first half of the draft, anyway

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pain of Mind posted:

Yea, it was fun. Was there some offsite chat room for it? It was kind of quiet, but maybe it was just a quiet crowd since it is just a mock. I am pretty happy with my team. The only pick I would take back would be Fournette, I forgot it was start 3 WR and I would have rather had a 5th WR, but you need to drop someone for waiver moves anyway and it was only $2 so whatever. While I have not been in an auction league for something like 10 years, when I was in an auction league I never did that well and in hindsight it felt like my biggest flaw was thinking that my strategy was unique - that I was the only person eyeing the last 3 RB in a tier or trying to save money until the end for sleepers when someone else is doing the same thing. It feels like the first and last player (draft order, not player ranking) in a tier is over priced, but you can potentially get good value with players in the middle since other people don't seem to bid up player X as much because player Y is still there, who then gets bid up because oh crap that is the last starting RB.

So glad you made it!

Yes the chat was in our Twitch stream. We don't like to link it here since everyone in TAQ was soooooo nice about us spamming our stuff when we were starting up 4 years ago. PM me and I'll gladly share it. Would love to have your insight there !

dkj posted:

Who won?

Really, everyone won since it's a 10 team mock auction so everyone gets what they want. We ran the league through FBG rate my team at the end for shots and giggles and the team with the weird name ..ike plerg ferges ug or something "won"

We really loved all the teams though: iirc FBG gave you an A or an A minus

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

lmao I cannot find a website that lets me set up ADP rankings or mock drafting for a PPR 12 team non-dynasty superflex league

I'll post our 10 human superflex mock next time I get a chance, so you can look at that data

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

coronaball posted:

Need a column in the draft applets that has a checkbox on whether or not a player has been vaccinated. You could replace the Bye week column with it.

Replacing the bye week info with data that is actually usable? I'm 100% on board!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

Lawrence, absolutely. It’s a no brainer.

This

Also, I'm tired of mocking, I want a real auction!

But I'm busy, so this will be best ball:

https://sleeper.app/i/V56aDYYWqMRZ

Launches shortly after 1 PM PST today

Winner gets the acknowledgment that they have the greatest balls of them all!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

This

Also, I'm tired of mocking, I want a real auction!

But I'm busy, so this will be best ball:

https://sleeper.app/i/V56aDYYWqMRZ

Launches shortly after 1 PM PST today

Winner gets the acknowledgment that they have the greatest balls of them all!

3 spots left. This is gonna be wild: Even I don't know how to do this optimally.

And it's best ball: Once the draft is done no effort is required: It takes your optimal lineup every week

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
:siren:Superflex Auction Data:siren:

Thanks to those of you who participated in our recent 10 team superflex auction:

Although this is just one piece of data, I can combine it with the market trends I have predicted and seen in my ~100 mostly-human mocks to come up with some really good strategy:

In 1QB auctions, the bottom falls out of the WR market somewhere around WR18 in 2021. Every. Single Time. Here, the WR discounts start at the very top and the bottom appears to drop out around WR 5 (Diggs for $27 in a 3-WR league is insane).

So, spend a huge chunk, I'm saying like 75% of your budget on your QBs and your RBs. Then recoup this cost with your $16 Keenan Allens and your $8 cooper Kupps. Again, literally every WR outside of the top tier should fetch a price well under 50% of what they usually go for. Wait on your favorites.

Also it seems like mid-teen$ is enough to get a top 6 TE. I say "seems" because I don't have hundreds of single-QB auction data points to back it up. However, it happened here and it makes sense based on obvious closed-market economics principles.

Also, if you find yourself overdrawn at QB, the RB2 market crashed here, as well. Obviously, that doesn't happen often at 1QB mocks, but Ekeler for $20, Dobbins for $15, Carson for $17, and many more are a strong indication you can spend a big chunk of your $150 on top QBs and a top RB, then value shop to fill out your running back stable for about $30-40.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
In fact, that one draft worked so well in seeing economic theory actually play out into something I can form a strategy around.

I want to try to fill out a 12-team superflex for this Sunday's stream.

Please join if you can, this data will help goons destroy their auction SF leagues, as it's data that's not really gettable anywhere else:

https://sleeper.app/draft/nfl/731598465959833600?ftue=commish

Starts at 1 PM PST on Saturday 8/14.

DATA!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

PoM wins the league this year. If Tebowfan15 has a good year from Baker then he's second. Team5 and Nerds gonna be powerhouses too, but I got money on PoM and Tebowfan.

Is that the bestball league mentioned so we can see how it goes later?

I want to link the best ball league, but Sleeper only allows best ball on it's app (even though it let me draft on pc, wtf). I cannot figure out how to share this drat league.

Edit: It was in settings https://sleeper.app/i/V56aDYYWqMRZ

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The Zack posted:

And late 2nd round, the best I can hope for at RB are CEH, Carson or Montgomery.

Okay, sounds like you answered your own question. When is your draft? Let us know how your round 2/3 shakes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Snakemock in 5
https://sleeper.app/draft/nfl/731999087548805120?ftue=commish
12 team ppr