Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Problem description: I realised the other day I hadn't turned my x250 laptop on in a few months. So I did and found the internal battery (~6 years old) is fine but my less than 8 month old external is not. I either get a message saying 'External battery not detected' or Lenovo Vantage says it is charging but it never gets off 0% according to Windows, even after an hour or more. HWiNFO says it has ~6v, does that mean it's dead? It doesn't show any charge capacity or wear level like the other battery.

Attempted fixes: Reinstall the battery drivers, leave it connected to AC overnight, do the battery gauge reset in Lenovo Vantage.

Recent changes: Left my laptop to drain out for 5 months. However, the last time I left my laptop for ages the previous external 6 cell battery did the same thing but I just put that down to age as it was 5 years old at that point.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit.

System specs: Lenovo x250 (type 20CL) that I've swapped out the motherboard (i5-5300 Motherboard 00HT385), harddrive (Samsung 250 Gb SSD) and screen on. The external battery is Lenovo ThinkPad 68 3-cell Battery, 2060 mAh.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Should I just try to get the battery RMAd?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Probably. If the charge controller is acting funky now, the sooner the better.