Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights
I'm looking to backup part of my NAS off site. I have a QNAP TS-251+ sitting on my home network (behind a BT branded Huawei 1-port fibre to door router feeding a Netgear R9000 Nighthawk X10 router/switch/wifi) and my father-in-law has the same NAS at his house (sitting behind a fiber>exchange>copper to house into his BT 'smart hub 2').

I can set up the remote backup using QNAP's Remote Backup Sync 3 software, which works fine to start with. The issue seems to be with the IP addresses: Neither of us has a static IP and so whenever his resets his router (which he does a lot) he gets assigned a new IP address and the link breaks down. As this is supposed to be an automated backup plan I don't want to have to change the setup to reflect the new IP address once a week. I had thought that I could sort this out with a DNS server so that I can point to the other NAS with a hostname but I have no idea how to set this up.

I'm also concerned that some of the data I send over needs to be encrypted as it is work information (I'm self-employed and they're old client files and records). I would also like to run the data between the NAS over a VPN. My father-in-law uses Nord, I don't have a paid service but I also notice that QNAP has something called "QVPN Service 2" which seems to offer various VPN server/client options: QBelt, PPTP, L2TP/IPSec (PSK), OpenVPN. I have no idea what the pros/cons of the difference systems are.

I'm a little lost with setting all of this up and the guides I've googled are all outdated or unhelpful or assume knowledge I don't have. Does anyone know enough about it to point me in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU