Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Most troubling is that she doesn't seem to regard Kim Kitsurugee's advice or esteem very highly. :mad:

while painful i think it's good that a teen doesn't listen to cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Cuno is 12

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Here's an update from the LP I'm running with my buddies:

1 Intellect, 6 Psyche, 1 Physique, 4 Motorics

We are a Sorry Cop who has (so far) kept sober, although we have decided we might exclusively use psychedelics. We're also leaning into our strengths and utterly neglecting our many, many deficiencies with all of our gear. The only exception to that was to put one point into Endurance after we died kicking a dumpster.

Our boy is interested in the paranormal, and we're increasingly playing Harry as a gullible savant. He's got super low intellect so he is bad at discerning information, but he's a whiz at using what he gets, or just intuiting things. I would describe him as an "aspiring psychic detective" in every way that connotes.

Speaking of being gullible, we just picked a political path after spending most of day one being pretty apolitical. Our boy is an Ultraliberal. LINE. GO. UP. Diamond hands and all that.

I'm pretty excited about this development, as I haven't seen or read the Ultra vision quest stuff. :allears:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If the starting-the-game advice is at all still relevant, I'd point out that the left/right arrow keys are what you use to use healing items when you're about to die. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure that out. And I saw somebody saying you right-click to highlight interactable elements in the environment; I thought that was tab? It's been a while. Whatever it is, that mechanism also took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ulvir posted:

there’s also the part where, if you discover your case folder, it becomes clear that HdB is at root actually pretty drat good at his job, he’s just tremendously messed up.

I love how one option is to immediately recognise the very likely reality that he burnt himself the gently caress out doing that. But yeah, Visual Calculus alone makes it clear that he's a downright savant in that area at least, and the rest of his skills are implied to be basically remembering and developing poo poo he already knows how to do.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ulvir posted:

there’s also the part where, if you discover your case folder, it becomes clear that HdB is at root actually pretty drat good at his job, he’s just tremendously messed up.

Crippling that flasher was perhaps not an *ideal* bit of police work, but it was effective

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

sebzilla posted:

Crippling that flasher was perhaps not an *ideal* bit of police work, but it was effective

Also one of the proofs that HdB was never a good man.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

all cops are bastards

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Especially Kim Kitsuragi.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://x.com/jamrockhobo/status/1784355172837130484?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Ancient ragebait. We have evolved past the need to discuss this tweet.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I like the assertion that Harry Dubois is a "generic white guy" in the mold of Nathan Drake or whatever, with the implication that his depiction valorizes and praises white guys.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Owlbear Camus posted:

I like the assertion that Harry Dubois is a "generic white guy" in the mold of Nathan Drake or whatever, with the implication that his depiction valorizes and praises white guys.

Eeeeeeeeh.

I can understand not wanting a story about some fuckwit honkey showing up, easily solving everyone's problems while drunk, then crying on the beach about how much he misses his wife. And more games should steal Disco Elysium's skill system!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What if Harry DuBois was an NB frog

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

watched “don’t expect too much from the end of the world” last night and it reminded me of de more than any piece of media has since

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

Eeeeeeeeh.

I can understand not wanting a story about some fuckwit honkey showing up, easily solving everyone's problems while drunk, then crying on the beach about how much he misses his wife. And more games should steal Disco Elysium's skill system!

I would get into it about "depiction isn't endorsement and being Super Divorced is not meant to be taken as romantic or cool but rather pathetic" but I'd rather agree with your second statement.

There's something brilliant about the greek chorus thing, and especially turning the RPG convention of "min maxing" on its head by making super-high skills get too high on their own supply and twist your perception around them.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Can't have light without shade. The cosy moments in DE (Neha's workshop, the cabin in the fishing village, sitting on the swing with Kim) are beautiful precisely because of the uncaring bleakness that surrounds them.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I would get into it about "depiction isn't endorsement and being Super Divorced is not meant to be taken as romantic or cool but rather pathetic" but I'd rather agree with your second statement.

There's something brilliant about the greek chorus thing, and especially turning the RPG convention of "min maxing" on its head by making super-high skills get too high on their own supply and twist your perception around them.

How else are you supposed to taste some rotten human meat ceramic boot soup via stealing the murder victim's boots and throwing them in the whirling cafeteria's kitchen when Kim isn't around if you don't dump all your stats into Half Light?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I do not envy any writer/programmer who has to deal with speech trees, and I suspect they form a large part of the reason there aren't more games like Disco Elysium.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

But I see a white guy. I gots opinions about them, that totally aren't kneejerking!

I am very smart. Please listen to me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I do not envy any writer/programmer who has to deal with speech trees, and I suspect they form a large part of the reason there aren't more games like Disco Elysium.

There is a fair amount of Discolikes out and in production.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1403440/Broken_Roads/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1674920/Sovereign_Syndicate/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/917720/Gamedec__Definitive_Edition/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1278360/Clam_Man_2_Open_Mic/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2057760/Esoteric_Ebb/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2244700/Glasshouse/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2126190/Rue_Valley/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1926120/Vampire_The_Masquerade__Heartless_Lullaby/

Writing good and not writing bad is the hard part, tbh. (Which is why I believe Kurvitz and co will land on their feet just fine even if they completely lose the lawsuit.)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

The sad thing is that, even if they do end up ok, what they want is the right to their world. This thing they spent decades creating in Tabletop games and loving around with their art friends. They could make something new, sure, but I'm not sure they'll want to.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

is Sovereign Syndicate good?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dunc II totally ripped off the sequel idea of pregnant protagonist having dialogue with the fetus

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The insistence that HDB isn't "generic" feels quaint when you try to count the number of literary and cinematic protagonists he takes after.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

FPyat posted:

The insistence that HDB isn't "generic" feels quaint when you try to count the number of literary and cinematic protagonists he takes after.

Every Protagonist is just Gilgamesh. Literature and art have been creatively bankrupt since 2000BC.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I must have missed the sidequest where you find Harry's clipboard and it's just complaints about inferior copper.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

nihil sub sole novum

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

harry complains about himself all the time

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

kicking a mailbox and it just crumples into itself

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I must have missed the sidequest where you find Harry's clipboard and it's just complaints about inferior copper.

How do you think the light bending guy got his start?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

poor sesame harvest cop

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Are any of these actually good?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

McCloud posted:

Are any of these actually good?

Broken Roads, Gamedec and Sovereign Syndicate are all "execution doesn't quite match ambition, but still a respectable 7.5 from a first time dev".

Clam Man 2 is a free prologue to a game that's not out yet and the writing is pretty sharp, so I have high hopes about that one.

The Vampire one is a neat small fangame.

The rest aren't out yet but Glasshouse and Esoteric Ebb have demos/playtest access so you can see for yourself.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This CYOA is good: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2402280/Werewolf_The_Apocalypse__The_Book_of_Hungry_Names/.

By the same guy who did Night Road if you know that one.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bobby Deluxe posted:

THE CASE OF THE INFERIOR COPPER is just what Harry labels all the cases he couldn't solve.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Glazius posted:

THE CASE OF THE INFERIOR COPPER is just what Harry labels all the cases he couldn't solve.

Why would he label an empty folder?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

sebzilla posted:

westernJamrock district way

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

My pitch for this is that the character is cripplingly anxious about needing to be the Perfect Cottage Aesthetic Witch at All Times, and something as innocuous as forgetting somebody's name leads to an emotional breakdown where you jam your hat through a paper shredder while sobbing uncontrollably. She needs to be as much of a total internal mess as Harry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

electrochemistry easy success:
we really should put another spoon of honey in our tea