Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Anyone who ordered the collector's edition from iam8bit get theirs shipped?

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like the physical versions aren't supposed to ship until summer.

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kraftwerk posted:

Which skills will give me some kind of high level knowledge of what's REALLY going on in the world?
Like how do I gain an understanding of the political stuff, the pale or spiritual realm. How do I get into the deep political and philosophical debates?

Also on a more general level, is there a way for me to a competent cop who gets his poo poo together and goes through a redemption arc? Mostly I just want to be like "I know what's really going on and you can't fool me"

Encyclopedia is the skill for background knowledge. Conceptualisation is also very useful, since you often need it to understand when someone tries to explain something to you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kraftwerk posted:

Which skills will give me some kind of high level knowledge of what's REALLY going on in the world?
Like how do I gain an understanding of the political stuff, the pale or spiritual realm. How do I get into the deep political and philosophical debates?

Put plenty of points in the two mental skills (Especially encyclopedia, rhetoric, inland empire and esprit de corps), and then try to get Shivers as high as possible.

Your character will be very convinced he has a high level of knowledge of the world, and you'll have lots of options to say things that are very spiritual, political, and philosophical.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kraftwerk posted:

Also on a more general level, is there a way for me to a competent cop who gets his poo poo together and goes through a redemption arc? Mostly I just want to be like "I know what's really going on and you can't fool me"

It's really, REALLY hard to be a competent cop, and those moments are a struggle, which is honestly what I love about the game so much. Your redemption doesn't come from you putting all the clues together and being smarter than everybody else, your redemption is "You know what? You actually managed to not gently caress up that particular thing you were just trying to do", and going from there. And trying to do it again. You hosed up, you will continue to gently caress up, but every so often, you manage to be the right person in the right place at the right time.

Somebody who thinks you're a fuckup will realize that maybe somewhere deep down, you just might have what it takes.

(That somebody is you.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm considering trying to plat this on PS. Does it require multiple playthroughs or can I finish in 1?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm considering trying to plat this on PS. Does it require multiple playthroughs or can I finish in 1?

With extensive foreknowledge you might be able to branch your save a lot to do it in maybe one or two really weird artificial playthroughs, but I strongly wouldn't recommend it for a first experience

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

No Mods No Masters posted:

With extensive foreknowledge you might be able to branch your save a lot to do it in maybe one or two really weird artificial playthroughs, but I strongly wouldn't recommend it for a first experience

I've played once on PC. I just don't see myself playing 3 or 4 times on PS to get a trophy. But it's a trophy I'd like to have. I mean, as much as I'd want any trophy.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are some guides on steam that would probably be useful, the achievements are the same. I think it would basically boil down to trying to navigate conversations trying to hit appropriate distributions as efficiently as possible for the 'say X type of thing Y times' type achievements. If memory serves massive torque dork in particular requires a very specific build/set of actions to hit

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Downloading the entire game again as an "update" on GOG. Third time's a charm?

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 31, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Oh my god I am getting measurehead to speak about his race theory and composure is also agreeing with wooden clogs and tassels being bad :laffo:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was incredibly worried this game wouldn't be as magical the second time through but it sunk its hooks right back in as soon as I started playing today.

I really, really hope this update gets new folks to give it a go because it is as perfect a game as we're likely to see for years

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I was incredibly worried this game wouldn't be as magical the second time through but it sunk its hooks right back in as soon as I started playing today.

I really, really hope this update gets new folks to give it a go because it is as perfect a game as we're likely to see for years

I think everyone was a little too abashed to say it in the halcyon days of 2019, but it's easily on the short list for best game ever made

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I am glad Measurehead very clearly told me a semenese man cannot maintain an erection in the potato stench of a kojka woman. IMO.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Encyclopedia is the skill that deals with trivial and factual knowledge but guess what, it is completely separate from contextualization. High levels of it will tell you about the first bars of the anthem of a distant Commune or the history of the fourth Innocence, what the gently caress is a "Franconigerian Cavalry" or that this band from a country called Oranje has been a massive hit on your city and which chart position they held in the billboard equivalent.

Inland Empire is the one who can point that information out towards more intuitive significance, or none at all; it is fundamentally the power of the psychological unconscious. Sufficient points there make it capable of apparently overriding the amnesia, as it seems to bring out traces and impressions that you shouldn't know about. Oddities and weirdness.

Shivers is... Well, rhm. Do you know that feeling you get after living in a metropolis after a while, of being somehow in tune with the place? Add that to what some would call having street smarts and multiply it by at least a thousand. That's Shivers. All I am going to say is that it is never a bad pick.

Esprit-de-Corps is not obvious in that regard and it doesn't consider "knowledge of the world" as part of its department, but when it has something to say about that, is oh my loving god some of the best remarks of the game.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Mac version on GOG now works :)

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 31, 2021

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
dicksuck easycum: the final cum

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

err posted:

dicksuck easycum: the final cum

Major spoiler

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Legin Noslen posted:

Major spoiler

Ah poo poo, we've all been cucked

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

mother of god I wasn't ready at all for that extremely sexy baritone

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Cuno has a bit less energy, but sounds less like a weird adult.

They kept the description of the scab leader’s voice as “oddly screechy for a big guy” but it doesn’t have that quality any more. Just kind of a big guy with some kind of accent I can’t place.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Only a little bit in but sorta liked the minimal voicework it had giving a few lines at the start and letting you do the rest in your head with their voice since most people read faster then they talk, anyone liking some peculiar voiced lines though?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

anyone liking some peculiar voiced lines though?

I thought Dasha did a good Klaasje because her natural affectation matched the character rather well. But I just failed that one gloriously obvious check to fail and gotta say the new one is better already. More expansive and oh my her vocal fry is amazing

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Old Cuno sounded like he used his voice to strip paint so he could eat the chips. New guy sounds like a professional. Not sure about that change even if a lot of people are probably relieved.

Anyone find new pants yet?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ok so I have a question about Joyce:

Kim suggests trying to "throw her off" by being wacky and weird. Has anyone actually found a way to pull this off? Or are we just destined to "play right into her hands" no matter what? First playthrough I did the drug investigation thing, second time I just conceded to come back to her once I found my badge. Either case, Kim always remarked that the discussion isn't going the way he hoped. I wanna do things differently on different playthroughs, so I'd like to know if it's even possible to achieve this supposed "throwing off" of Joyce.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I bought it again on PS to support the devs and will buy it again on Switch when that comes out. I want the devs to be able to continue.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You're all making me nervous about hearing new Cuno. A few of Cuno's old lines sounded like he was screaming from the opposite side of the room to his mic and it made the lines really funny in an odd way

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ok, loving the VA work so far, I am laughing way more than first time

Klaasje singing and Encyclopedia commenting about OO has more humor than some entire games

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i kinda miss the scab leaders old voice, even if the recording was bad.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Kim's actor re-recorded lines are good. More confident, snappier and flowing better

edit: oh my god the tie

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 31, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Once again, Kim manages to steal the show for me. So glad they got the original actor back and really gave him the means to shine.

Dr Christmas posted:

They kept the description of the scab leader’s voice as “oddly screechy for a big guy” but it doesn’t have that quality any more. Just kind of a big guy with some kind of accent I can’t place.

I do appreciate how the new actor makes more of an effort to distinguish between his asides to you and his performative slogans.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

edit: oh my god the tie

I think the tie is essentially what everyone imagined Electrochemistry would sound like.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 31, 2021

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Kraftwerk posted:

This is pretty close to what I was gunning for in my original run - a guy who's trying his best in spite of being a complete fuckup and a bit *eccentric*, but competent or even gifted at what he does when it comes down to it. My build was 4-5-1-2 and I'd say it fit the bill pretty well. Physique as the dump stat means your Electrochemistry (your Party Hard skill) will be neutered, so you'll be less constantly bombarded with yearnings to shoot heroin directly into your eyeballs. Volition is basically your Get Your poo poo Together skill, so keep that high if you want the constant stream of moral support from your own brain coming.
The High Level Knowledge comes in a number of ways. There's Encyclopedia, which is basically your Wiki-surfing skill - lots of tidbits of trivia that range from the moderately relevant to the task at hand to the utterly useless. This includes a lot of lore, but it will usually be missing core elements of the world's history, which will have to be explained to you by other characters. The more metaphysical includes Inland Empire (your Twin Peaks brain - lots of cryptic and foreboding advice with a paranormal edge, which might only make sense once it's too late), Shivers (the ability to *feel* the city) and Conceptualization (abstract interpretation of people, objects and concepts - a lot of its early interventions are :jerkbag: incarnate, but it does have some of the most devastating lines in the game later on)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The thing I was looking forward to the most was a fully voice acted Cuno, but the new voice is just not very good compared to the old one, it's rather disappointing.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Has anyone reached any of the Vision Quests yet, or any other kind of new content?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Got to say I’m not really enjoying the voice acting on the skills.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Nordick posted:

Kim suggests trying to "throw her off" by being wacky and weird. Has anyone actually found a way to pull this off? Or are we just destined to "play right into her hands" no matter what? First playthrough I did the drug investigation thing, second time I just conceded to come back to her once I found my badge. Either case, Kim always remarked that the discussion isn't going the way he hoped. I wanna do things differently on different playthroughs, so I'd like to know if it's even possible to achieve this supposed "throwing off" of Joyce.

If I remember right, you can throw her off by asking for her boating registration or passport or something and actually insisting on it and getting her to show you her papers. I also think this let's you know her last name is different from what she tells you, cluing you in that she's more than just the negotiator. You kick off the chain by asking if it's her boat.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Huh, I'm at the end of the first day, doing the Shivers bit describing the city a direction at a time, "HAVE A BROTHER IN THE CUT. WHERE THE WOOD AT?" is voiced by a woman. Appropriate, also interesting that they make the capitalization being something different from standard Shivers far more explicit.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Nordick posted:

i think that and the failure to execute it is in part to illustrate just how insightful joyce really is

rideANDxORdie posted:

If I remember right, you can throw her off by asking for her boating registration or passport or something and actually insisting on it and getting her to show you her papers. I also think this let's you know her last name is different from what she tells you, cluing you in that she's more than just the negotiator. You kick off the chain by asking if it's her boat.

even then you dont really get her going like you do every other npc who acts like you are a complete freak

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I think it updated, since it downloaded a patch, but there wasn't a setting to adjust the voice acting before the game begins - is that in-game? Did I somehow start the old version?

ETA: nevermind i am just an idiot! thank you!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Akett posted:

Huh, I'm at the end of the first day, doing the Shivers bit describing the city a direction at a time, "HAVE A BROTHER IN THE CUT. WHERE THE WOOD AT?" is voiced by a woman. Appropriate, also interesting that they make the capitalization being something different from standard Shivers far more explicit.

this is goddamned excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So, the final cut, i guess to make console ports easier, removed the ability to edit keybinds. that's a major step backwards

Unless I just missed the menu option

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 31, 2021