Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

oscarthewilde posted:

just buy two jackets and you should be there in no time

Perhaps if there were two different jackets to buy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

midnight lasagna posted:

Mr. Bezos is helping me fund my show.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr Bezow is helping me **** my show

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I managed to artfully dodge 80% of the relationship bits in my first playthrough and had no idea it was meant to be a central theme. Like why the heck would I take a nap on the island after loudly declaring my arrival by boat? There's a murderer with a rifle somewhere around here!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Conceptualisation (Godly: Success) It's called... *liquid terror*

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

we all know the *real* reason why there are so few games like DE

https://twitter.com/bingus_enjoyer/status/1519732073396944897

You can do both!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Heath posted:

My favorite video game essay guy makes this direct comparison in his video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_7ngJDbUQE

He also makes the case that the game isn't as full-throated a condemnation of moralism as it seems in its sympathy for Kim's pragmatism

I think the game makes a pretty big distinction between the 'broadly apolitical and accepting the status quo' moralism of Kim and Actually This Is Very Good And The Best Of All Possible Worlds political Moralism, embodied by Sunday Friend. It absolutely hates third way radical centre types who actually believe in what they're selling

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

She's a garbage person who made her bed a long time ago and is desperately trying to find anyone else to lie in it, nothing of value of lost by booking her imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My take on it was even if the mercenaries were inevitably going to do something she still wildly escalated the situation with the fake-hanging and threw all the people who were trying to help her under the bus the moment it became convenient and nothing she does or says indicates she's not going to continue using and abusing people to keep the feds off her trail for another few months whenever it next becomes expedient. Like the point of Harry's journey is most playthroughs is his recovery and ability to change and improve(?) as a person, nothing Klaasje does or says indicates she's learnt a single thing from the experience and she exits the game the same amoral void of a person if you let her skip out

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what lesson is Klaasje meant to learn, other than that she should die? Her options are to keep running, which will inevitably cause the powers that be to deflect their murderous energies onto the nearest available target, or to let them kill her, which won't stop the murders either. There's no future for her which contains a noble cinematic martyrdom, none where bunkering down with the Hardy Boys mean they survive and defeat the Moralintern together.

Well honestly, that exactly. She's dug her own grave before the game even starts and keeps burning through anyone she can to avoid facing that reality, even when you make the big Volition check and get the 'real' story out of her it's still just more deflections which throw the person who did the most to help her into life threatening danger. Maybe she should just stop doing that

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It is remarkable how they took 'Homer Simpson arguing with his brain' and turned it into such a rich, faceted and incredibly entertaining mechanic

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

yeah Very Important people want her dead and longterm survival is unrealistic, so she should just quit being a silly billy and take one for the team so those important people are not tragically forced to keep hurting others. How come people don't get that the Sunday Friend is the real protagonist

I couldn't give a rat's rear end about Moralintern, but I do care about the next Ruby and the next Titus she's inevitably going to throw under the bus for another precious week of life

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

the moralintern literally already sicced a kill squad on Titus before they had any idea she was around, Ruby's an outlaw well aware they'll eventually come for her, you cannot appease the oligarchy through human sacrifices and should probably interrogate your instinct to do so

I don't know why you keep bringing up appeasing Moralintern, my only point is that she keeps burning other people to save her own skin and that's repulsive. Any sympathy I had for her vanished when I failed the check to stop Ruby killing herself

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

The entire argument needs to stop a few steps earlier and consider why you think it should be your call to make at all, as harry or as the person playing the game. When you hit the inherent cruelty of cop brain... hit da bricks. Just walk out, you can leave

Sure, I think it's completely fair. My point wasn't what the right moral choice was to make was, just that she deeply, intensely sucks

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

*scribling to the bottom of the list* comprehending ... is endorsing, got it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Get Takehito Koyasu for Harry, he's the only person qualified to that much insane monologuing

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tiger Millionaire posted:

The takeover of the port into a union owned enterprise has likely been a long time in the making, which isn't really something you can achieve/plan for if you have to stand for re-election every few years and potentially lose your power.

I don't know whether this was the plan before or after the twins achieved total control of the Union though, it's a shame we don't get to meet the other brother as he's mentioned as being the more ideologically engaged of the 2

I thought you did meet both but the only tell is that one of them has a lazy eye?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That composure is worth more than a 2

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Why would you deny The Expression

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

the hardy boys are only aware of the danger in the most distant, academic sense. even harry's misfiring brain goes "oh my god these idiots are going to get themselves killed" as they're yukking it up amongst each other. they wisen up somewhat before the mercs come knocking, but they have no idea evrart's using them as sacrificial lambs

*sacrificial bees

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I'm not ready to read spoilers yet but if your Harry isn't continually sloshed then what are you even doing

(also thanks for the hints re: freezer/church)

Enduring the waste land of reality

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Is that a very rare but possible softlock?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Trickortreat posted:

Any tips for making rent? I was able to con my way to getting the 130, but with how tedious it is to collect cans, I don't think I am in for a good time if I have to collect 20 monies every day. I am assuming either money will become a lot easier to get or I will be able to find another place to stay somehow? Stressing out about being able to make rent is not my idea of a fun time.

Beg every rich person you meet for money

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ELECTROCHEMISTRY: Awwww twenty dollars? I wanted a peanut...

ENCYCLOPAEDIA: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.

ELECTROCHEMISTRY: Explain how!

ENCYCLOPEDIA [Medium - Success] Money can be exchanged for goods and services

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

Ok as many new things that I’ve seen this play through almost two years after initially playing it wrong, Cuno as my partner is the best thing I’ve done

But at what cost?!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well, they went out in the most communism way possible

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

dervival posted:

yeah, given the remarks about Kurvitz/Hindpere/Rostov being involuntarily separated from the company sounds like this was a corporate coup. what a loving waste.

From the comments section:

quote:

Imagine a kleptomaniac, if you will. Only that instead of stealing, say, "A Lolly pop", they take pains to manipulate dozens of people to steal, in the end, from themselves, just because they happen to be very proficient in that kind of an operation. It's what they always do, really. One of them was the first guy to be convicted for investment fraud in Estonia. All the same, idk if we would have managed to get the initial investment without these people.

Seems to be the case :(

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think it would be reasonable to call DE a text adventure anyway, the isometric backgrounds do a tremendous amount of visual storytelling even if they don't serve a mechanical function for the most part

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've killed the goose that lays the golden eggs *but* I can always buy more geese!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They're marxist-leninists, I would be shocked if they didn't have a somewhat warm view on Stalin

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Megazver posted:

Being now located in London, Kender proceeds to fire every alcoholic Estonian bum from the company, and is replacing them with hip and wealthy British anarcho-communists from good schools with good names.

Well, at the very least it sounds like they'll have the Trashfuture lot guest voice acting on the sequel instead of the Chapos

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Not Important posted:

Mr. Pyramid is helping me find kill my wife.

Fixed that for you

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's also one of the *only* ones that somewhat successfully threaded the needle between running a tight enough ship to resist counter revolution and not becoming an autocratic police state

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

The thing is though, that the word autocratic doesn't mean poo poo. And what is the US if not a police state?

I don't think it loses value because it can describe two things, they can both be Cop States : P

Oxxidation posted:

disco elysium doesn’t have a lot of patience for people who look for a semantical middle ground. that’s the domain of moralism, the closest thing to an outright “evil” ideology the game presents. you have to pick one

the fact is that evrart is unlikable but not unvirtuous, with the unspoken implication that polite standards of “likability” are cultivated by people whose influence is intensely corrosive to a functioning society. Joyce isn’t even a proper representative of such people either, because she has no illusions as to what she is or the harmful influence she has on the world, but she’s captured by the same institutions she ostensibly leads and despises. evrart has no such limitations, and no need or desire to be polite about his goals

:hai:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's the person who hired the war crime mercenaries in the first place, personally

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think trying to tie the massacre down to the personal culpability of a single party is kind of missing the point anyway, as a violent confrontation between labour and capital of some kind was inevitable given the situation and the individuals involved just informed the specific shape the clash took

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay but what if Joyce is quoting Black Book of Communism numbers?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really like the game goes out of its way to avoid the classic WRPG 'you, the player singled handedly changed the balance of power in the region by fighting every guy and going some sick nasty [100] persuade checks that made commited extremists radically change their ideologies and/or kill themselves from a single conversation' power fantasy that even the really good games like New Vegas like to do and the only actual good Harry can do is 1) his job and 2) maybe preventing the apocalypse by saving a church and doing dance music(???). It's very refreshing that you *can't* just do a golden route Communist Revachol run or whatever

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Absolutely not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yes it was for sure, sorry!