Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm early on in the game so have a quick query about money - are there any items that it's safe (or not) to pawn? So far I've just been pawning postcards and recycling bottles for cash. I resisted pawning the shot putt I found and I'm glad I did because I was able to use it to partially patch things up with the old guys whose game of petanque I ruined. So I'm now shy about pawning anything else in case it's useful later. I just want to get absolutely all the trash and take it around with me because it might help. Maybe that's the hobocop talking.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

This game rules.

I'm on my first playthrough and I think I stumbled into a not-very-effective 1/5/4/2 build with inland empire as my signature skill. I also ended up putting a few points into esprit de corps because I enjoyed having some view into what Kim was thinking. It's meant I'm completely outmatched in any battle of wits and physically I'm nothing special, but I keep getting unexpected insights. I'm enjoying being a hobo Dale Cooper running on pure cop instincts but it's already got me wanting to do a second run where I'm a total know it all with no clue how to talk to people, or a complete meathead that just punches his way through any problem.

Do you run into issues if you internalise incompatible thoughts in the thought cabinet? So far I've taken hobocop, marxism and the fifteenth indotribe, which seem a bit at odds even if they're not totally contradictory. But then again Tequila Sunset is a complicated guy. He contains multitudes.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Still on my first playthrough, just about to wrap up Day 3. I got into the church and thanks to a clutch high roll managed to talk to the crab man in the shadows. If I'd failed that check would I have missed him altogether?

In the church I suddenly realised that Kim's portrait has his head illuminated by a halo, like a saint. I also found Klaasje again and realised she looks a lot like Laura Dern.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

sebzilla posted:

I was wondering if each NPC in the game exemplified one of the skills. Couldn't put it all together in my head though. Not even sure if the numbers add up, must be more than 24 characters.

Half Light is very similar to Cuno in both appearance and attitude

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

space uncle posted:

Working on my Halloween costume…

Report back in when The Expression stubbornly refuses to leave your features

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Just finished my first playthrough. I went with 1/5/4/2 and Inland Empire as my signature skill, basically existing on hunches and trusting that which feels true over that which I can objectively measure. I also went heavily into Shivers and Esprit de Corps so I was constantly getting fragmentary insights into the world that never quite fit together. However it did mean that the ending encountering and talking to the phasmid felt like it just perfectly meshed with who my Harry was. I looked up some stuff afterwards and it turns out I missed tons of things by accidentally blundering into the end game though - I never met the leather jacket wearing guys because Kim took the body away right at the start of day 4, and despite getting the prompt to literally sniff out communists I never got round to finding the students. I also never figured out how to view your copotype stats using the ledger.

I'm already itching to do another run though - I guess I'll just invert my stats and see what an intellectual cop looks like.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I think you have to find the bullet to continue questioning the washerwoman about Ruby, which is what allows you to make the shivers check at the Feld building.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Isn't "secret task" just the game's term for if you complete a quest before it's assigned to you? On my first playthrough "close the water lock on Wednesday" was a secret task because I didn't interact with it on previous days.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Remember that putting a point into a skill will allow you to retry any white checks associated with that skill. It's perfectly valid to sit on a few skill points to allow you to have multiple attempts at a white check you really want to pass.

This was the general way I thought about assigning skill points:

1) Are there any thoughts I really like the sound of? If so, unlock a thought cabinet slot
2) Are there any skills I like hearing from / would like to hear more from? (For me this was Inland Empire, Esprit de Corps and Shivers)
3) Are there any white skills I'd like to retry?

I'll stress that this was just what I found helpful and that it's not the "right" way to play, because there is no right way to play.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The "wrong" dialogue choice should never be an automatic game over, but you can get a game over from taking health or morale damage and not having healing items. Damage can come from unexpected places in conversation and in some cases is very difficult to avoid.

The stats governing health and morale are endurance and volition respectively, so if you want to have a safety net you can throw a few skill points into each. However healing items are cheap and plentiful if you keep your eyes open (right click to see things in the world you can interact with). Even if you only have a single point in health / morale you always have a brief window to use a healing item before getting a game over.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

lmao

Spokes if you are looking to avoid potential pitfalls if you sneak into the harbour you're locked in there and need to speak to someone to leave. Doing so will almost certainly ding you for a couple of health and morale damage. I think there are sufficient healing items to get through it available in the harbour but going in with what you need will help ensure you don't get frustrated.

edit: oh yeah make sure you have the 20 real to pay Garte by the end of day 2. The game will bail you out on day 1 if you can't pay and from day 3 you can find somewhere free to sleep but day 2 is one where you really need to pay. Finding enough money is easy enough from just wandering around but that doesn't help if you blow it all on books and novelty sunglasses

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 18, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

All I've seen are reddit and steam forum posts claiming that the time limit is everything from 10 to 35 days, but never any evidence. There was one from someone who just read the same book over and over and got to day 14 so it's at least that long. For anyone worrying about a potential time limit - that's more than enough to do everything you'd want to in a single playthrough. Feel free to gently caress around, the worst that will happen is Kim might mildly disapprove.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah my first run was heavy on Inland Empire / Esprit de Corps / Shivers and I feel like I accidentally found the best build in the game for me. Maybe not that impressive as I just picked skills that sounded interesting to me and further boosted the ones that said interesting things.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Good work, detective.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I've never seen that specific interaction. I know that Kim calls you "officer" when he's disappointed and "detective" when he's pleased, but calling you "assistant detective" - to pull rank but also make it clear that as a detective you should know better - is something that's new to me.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

No Mods No Masters posted:

But be prepared for your faith in kim to be shaken forever :aaaaa:

In that case I refuse

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I've not bought the collector's edition but I think I remember seeing something saying that it had been delayed (again) until 2022. They might be issuing the regular version in the meantime so you've got the game at least? I'd definitely email them to check what's up

Fake edit: here's what I saw https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysi...tm_source=share

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I think with high enough logic in Cuno's shack you can piece together the next step without talking to Cuno. Change your clothes and smoke some cigs

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

hazardousmouse posted:

the game also told me I unlocked fast travel ages ago but can't figure out how for the life of me

You do it by looking at the map, but you can only go to and from a few central locations, it's kind of frustratingly limited and I ended up never using it and just running everywhere

Anyway I enjoyed this playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJhCGVyRyiw

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Three of my friends have now started playing Disco Elysium because I never shut the gently caress up about it. I'm so proud.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Party Boat posted:

Three of my friends have now started playing Disco Elysium because I never shut the gently caress up about it. I'm so proud.

Update: one died to the fan. Another has punched Cuno.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

YggiDee posted:

How did this man record so much dialogue. How did he not die.

There's an interview with Lenval Brown, the narrator, here:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/we-talk-to-disco-elysiums-incredible-narrator-who-recorded-350000-words-of-dialogue-and-has-never-acted-before/

edit: having just read it there are some unmarked spoilers. Tread carefully, sire

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 5, 2022

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

RABBIT - "Honey or condensed milk with your bread?"
ELECTROCHEMISTRY [Easy: Success] - "Or?" We're not a fan of this "or" thing. "Or" means denying yourself one yummy thing or another.
1 - "Both."
RHETORIC [Challenging: Success] - You don't want to seem *too* greedy. Let's figure out what's an acceptable loss here.
1 - "But don't bother about the bread, please."

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cool and how will you be playing the game

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

In my first playthrough I generally sat on 2-3 points at any one time and loosely prioritised interesting sounding thoughts, then pumping key skills (for me this was Inland Empire, Esprit de Corps and Shivers) then retrying white checks.

I felt like it worked pretty well and my character and the story reflected how I approached things, although it helped that a major plot point towards the end of the game (the phasmid) turned out best if you had a high Inland Empire score.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Vookatos posted:

Alright, thank you! I was stressed because I basically did nothing on Day 1. I sorta just went around Whirling and barely spoke to Union people and Scabs before being thrown out by a big nazi.

This is pretty normal for a first play through. Honestly by the end of the first day I found myself feeling pretty similar to my character, completely overwhelmed by all the information thrown at me and feeling like I'd completely failed to investigate the murder at all. You'll get there (probably).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

repiv posted:

pretty telling that za/um hasn't said a word about the TV adaptation, as far as i can tell

“Unconventional game studios sometimes make TV deals with *global megacorporations*. They then don't say anything to people about this—to gauge their reactions. It’s all part of *detecting*.”

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Your brain interjecting is kind of this game's whole deal, but the various voices aren't necessarily an objective view of things - they all have their own agenda and will try to push you in certain ways. There's even scenarios where they'll argue with each other. They're much more like a party of individuals than one person's mind.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh yeah you mentioned earlier that you were going as down the middle as possible with your build. This will control how often your skills talk to you as the game is constantly making unseen passive checks to see if they'll chime in. If you go all in on a few skills it'll mean you hear from them a lot at the cost of rarely hearing from ones that you've neglected. Going down the middle will mean that in theory you'll hear a bit from all of them, which might not be what you want.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Maybe it'll be easier to get into once I get a better handle of the world and what's going on. I guess I have less tolerance for it at the moment because I'm also being lore dumped at the same time. It's just a bit too much.

If it helps, the feeling of being completely overwhelmed on the first day is so common for new players that I have to believe it's a deliberate choice.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I guess I'm an outlier in really enjoying Lenval Brown's performance as the narrator and skills? The overacted versions don't really do anything for me and I found Lenval to be a smooth-voiced anchor in a harsh and unfriendly world. He had a couple of bum lines but I'm willing to overlook that in 350,000 words.

PC Gamer did an interview with Brown and voice director Cash De Cuir which kind of sums up how I felt about it https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/we-talk-to-disco-elysiums-incredible-narrator-who-recorded-350000-words-of-dialogue-and-has-never-acted-before/

quote:

There's something very intimate, almost soothing about Lenval's performance...

CDC: That's right. I wanted Lenval's performance to be very intimate, because this is the voice inside Harry's head. And you want it to be a pleasant experience, because it's going to follow you throughout the whole game. You want it to almost cradle you in a way. There are 24 distinct voices inside the character's head—but they don't sound wildly different, because they're all prisms through which Harry is filtered.

We could have made them wildly different. That's a different approach we could have taken. But my feeling, which Lenval and I discussed a few times, was that the player has to be able to project their own reading and their own interpretation onto it. If Lenval's performance was too prescriptive—if you put too much character into it—it might take away from the version of Harry that exists in the player's head.

LB: It wouldn't have worked if there were too many different voices. It would've been too confusing. There's so much going on. I tried to play it straight. There are some moments that are funny, but I didn't want it to feel like I was the one being funny. It's not about me, it's about the person playing the game. For me it was about focus and control. It was a good exercise, and I appreciate getting the chance to do it.

CDC: He brings out a real deadpan quality too. There's a lot of humour in Disco, a lot of absurdity. And it wouldn't work if the voiceover made it bigger. So the deadpan quality in the performance makes for some wonderful moments.

LB: There's a calmness to it too. I've been playing the game myself recently. I haven't gotten very far. I'm crap at it. [laughs] But I have been enjoying watching people playing it. And it has a really nice ambience. It's a beautiful game. It's a chaotic world with a lot of craziness, and I think you need that calm underneath it all. If I was screaming at you it wouldn't have the same effect.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I should say that Final Cut was my first experience of the game so I have nothing to compare it to, and I can definitely understand why it might feel wrong if you'd previously had another voice in your head.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Breetai posted:

Just finished a 5511 run.

In retrospect I shouldn't have gone for that necktie.

Did you do the same thing as me?

Follow the tie all the way on its quest, then completely fluff the hand-eye coordination roll to throw the molotov. It was loving hilarious.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh, I'm an idiot haha.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Epic High Five posted:

hey does somebody have a screenshot of Encyclopedia going on a huge tangent about something and Harry saying "hey thanks any update on where my badge or gun is?" to a "no"? I need it for something

This it?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Propaganda Machine posted:

Also, I made the Whirling-in-Rags theme my morning alarm and I don't even hate it yet. What a great soundtrack.

I also did this, pro move

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The best example is Asterix. Cover to cover puns, translated into over 100 languages.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Are you sure it was unironic, or did you fail a rhetoric check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Getting around to playing this, choice paralysis strikes at signature skill selection. I've read Inland Impire was better for re-playthroughs, so as a smart sensitive weak klutz, I'm thinking maybe Drama, if only because I used to be an actor. Maybe Empathy?

The fact that everywhere says there are no wrong choices has not helped lol

I went heavily into Inland Empire (and Esprit de Corps) on my first playthrough and did not regret it