Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anti-capitalism is signing a deal with amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thanks to marx and lenin for our amazon deal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/martinluiga/status/1576182809731149824

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

For the DND stuff, I don't engage with nerd culture
dog you have a umineko avatar

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also this video is really worth watching even if '2h30m youtube video about video game' is a really terrible format. feel free to skip to chapter 3 and the end if you dont want to watch all that, those are the most important parts.

feels a lot like kurvitz is up his own rear end and assumes even the slightest criticism of him is a failure of communism or something, theres a lot of hosed up stuff that went on during disco elysium's development/the early planning of de2 that he refuses to acknowledge at all. (like offering writers jobs, asking them to send in example work, then saying they failed without even reading it). the acquisition of the studio stuff seems hosed but not every problem that went down during de's development is a psyop to justify that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

I (about halfway through) am taking the exact opposite view. Kurvitz may have been up his own rear end and viewing any criticism of him as unwarranted, but that isn't justification for what Ilmar Kompus admits in the interview: That he took 4.8 million from the company in order to buy it from the other shareholders, with absolutely no documentation of literally anyone else agreeing to the scheme or any paper trail suggesting he intended to pay anything back before the court case happened.
i uh, didnt say that it does justify that?

quote:

the acquisition of the studio stuff seems hosed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dead gay comedy forums posted:

That's an ideological trap. Answering "ZA/UM founders are litigating for the product of their labor because investors cheated them" with "but the writer is a complete fucktard to work with, he is an rear end in a top hat, an absolute pain in the rear end" is misdirection. The misguided can far more easily lean into the side of the nice businessmen and nice people who didn't create poo poo and are stealing from the people who did work in its creation by being riled up into this as a matter of personal morality.
I think the writers and staff who feel slighted by Kurvitz have the right to say so without it being fundamentally misdirection from a larger, unrelated issue. I think the bigger ideological trap here is the idea, invoked by Kurvitz himself, that any criticism of him is inherently praise of capitalistic investors trying to reduce disco to marketable IP by stealing it from its creators.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, the video's premise isn't 'here is why the takeover is good,' its 'the situation is more complicated than popular opinion.' considering its a situation where anyone with even vague questions or hesitations about Kurvitz's behavior is sent death threats due to being an enemy of communism, that's not exactly a high bar to clear. It's easy to talk about The Forces of Capital, and that's undeniably a factor, but also people desperately want art they like to be made by singular superheroes who are without flaw and cannot fail, only be failed, instead of a few dozen randos with a variety of hangups and personality flaws.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Best Friends posted:

Fundamentally, this is all chaff to distract from the actual issue at hand. Even if the creators were genuine monsters with zero redeeming qualities (which is far from the case based on this) that has no bearing on the IP issue.
i dont think literally anyone here is saying it does and its weird that people keep acting like there are people doing that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at the same time you can also say that disco elysium's fans are using the ip theft as a distraction from the fact that the game might have been imperfect and its development hosed up even before this all started

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and while its definitely the least important part of all this, in regards to the the 'will de2 even happen' conversation, the impression that i get from all of this is that that was a doomed project from the jump

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

but the video is about the ip theft
the video's about both the ip theft and the issues with kurvitz. the way the video specifically conflates them isnt ideal even if they're tangled together, but we as viewers of the video can separate the information and compartmentalize it. for Some Reason people are perfectly capable of being mad about the ip theft individually but being mad about kurvitz's behavior individually gets you accused of bootlicking for capital or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the individual workers are far bigger victims than kurvitz in this, especially the ones who had a lot of input into what disco elysium is but got little credit for it. they have just as much attachment to the ip as kurvitz and are forced into a situation where they either work under a scumbag to keep a steady job and continue working on something they have attachment to, or jump ship but without the name recognition kurvitz managed to get.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hes right. peace

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh im not saying you had to play it just like, getting mad at the random guy who textures brick walls is weird. he didnt texture the brick walls in the original out of an artistic vision he was doing a job. he will continue texturing the brick walls until they tell him there are no more brick walls to texture. get mad at the actual bosses who wanted to rent out the IP to amazon or whatever, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not really talking about this thread but i 100% saw people on twitter and reddit et. all who were yelling at the random employees which is the headspace that resetera post probably came from