Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Eeeeee just woke up to find my slow as poo poo download over Australian internet is done and the game is working! gently caress you, classification board!!

Son of Rodney posted:

Just started out, but the voice actor choices seem *really* solid so far. They all fit what I had in mind, or were better.

Yeah, even though I was really really hoping they'd keep Klaasje's voice the same, the new lines sound like it's gonna be a fairly close match and good overall.

Having all the skills voiced by the same Narrator isn't as jarring in practice as I thought it might be, either. Actually my first critique is that it feels unnecessary to narrate the death screens. (I got a classic early one, haha)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gorn Myson posted:

So far I have to say I'm very impressed. I was sceptical about changing voice actors but every single one has been an improvement on the original.

Ugh I was so worried about whether Klaasje's voice would stay the same or still sound good that I didn't think about Garte or Lena, they're throwing me off a bit. Garte I'm getting used to, I probably wouldn't mind it at all if I hadn't heard his old voice to compare to. But Lena sounds SO different, it's really odd to me. I miss her old voice a lot.

The necktie is amazing though, yes, I'm successfully distracted now

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

drat, wish I had more time to dig into this but it's time to head to work... Last thing I got to do was talk to Cuno and his new voice actor is good after all. :3: I did always actually love his original lines even when people pointed out he didn't have the best recording quality. but it still feels like Cuno, just saying them over again. (a bit less hard-level)

Cunoesse sounds fantastic actually, is it the same actor just rerecorded? If not, it sounds like it could be.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

EorayMel posted:

:pcgaming: Daba-doop-doop-dead. :pcgaming:

EorayMel posted:

Measurehead narrating his race theory :flashfap:

Oh God yes I'm looking forward to these

Oh poo poo, I just remembered we're gonna have fully voiced Sunday friend now

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Useful Distraction posted:

After giving it a few minutes I got used to every skill having the same voice fairly quickly though. I think their reasoning of not having the player be overwhelmed makes sense, especially when there's miltiple skills chiming in and arguing.

Yeah I thought it was going to be weird and disappointing for say, Empathy and Half Light to be read with the same voice. But all these different influences are all ending up getting filtered through the same brain. It works after all. It kind of helps unify things a bit more too. Even though there's all these competing urges fighting under the surface, it's still one person.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Nosfereefer posted:

By playing this game, you agree to the following conditions:
1. You are now a communist.
2. That is all.

Hey now, I'm also a *pretty okay* detective

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

EorayMel posted:

Who cares about politics when you must warn them of the coming end 8 times?

OMG I forgot about this bit, welp now I gotta roll up an apocalypse cop just to find out ASAP what these lines sound like voiced

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

God, would you shut up for just one second Savoir Faire, I don't even know what "paying with net worth" means and since you're effectively at zero points right now I bet you don't either, just let me look for dodgy used sunglasses in goddamn peace already

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

nurmie posted:

I was super impressed by the scab leader voice acting actually - he's got this air of sort of monotonous, robotic menace to him that just wasn't really there before (supposedly on account of being voiced by a podcast dweeb lol). Like he now actually sounds like a guy who likes killing people, and does a fairly terrible job at hiding it. Can't wait to hear all the hosed-up war stories and the Tribunal shenanigans fully voice acted.

He's taking a bit of getting used to for me, but I haven't got to that later stuff yet. I imagine though that even once I do get to really appreciate his new voice, I will still always miss Hearing the serious tribunal lines like "Welcome to the loving reckoning!" in that dorky original voice, haha.

Overall though I am loving all the voices, (even though I do still miss OG Cuno) and even if it's taking me forever to play through the game now, it's fun to have such a leisurely playthrough and really take the time to appreciate random lines. Like while I was asking Joyce for money, I unexpectedly laughed out loud for real when it worked and Suggestion chimed in all, "You should ask for more! Toot toot, train to Money town!"

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Epic High Five posted:

I'll admit I really miss Christman as Hardy...his faltering yet insistent defiance that wilted under more direct questioning but never veered from the core of looking out for the people important to himself and union was really well portrayed by his mix of being awkward and aggressive, something that doesn't really feel like it carries over into his more "in on it" redneck drawl

every other VA change has been neutral or an improvement imho, at lease that I've run into

I think I could get used to the new Titus voice more easily if it wasn't so quiet. His voice clips are just unnaturally low volume compared to everyone else, almost seems like a bug. Then when I'm already straining to hear him he talks so unbearably slow, he's driving me nuts :argh:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

PSA: Remember to remove all tools from your hands before singing karaoke.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I've been considering myself lucky to not get any softlocks anywhere so far, but I've been all around the coast and can't seem to find the cryptozoologists anywhere? Has anyone else had that come up?

I'm not sure if I'm just blind, cause the coast area always gets me a bit discombobulated to begin with. I did see just one of their traps, but I couldn't interact with it. I do have the quest to find Morell, so it's not like I just forgot to talk to Lena about it at all.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not an ending I would want personally

A “healing” that is contingent on avoiding ten thousand environmental factors that tangentially remind you of your trauma is not healing at all. It’s simply delaying the inevitable reckoning.

Some of it does seem a bit bullshit, like does just looking at the church window at all lock you out? But some parts of it make more sense. I don't know if just looking at the figurines locks you out, but dwelling on how "this could win her back" definitely should. The one part I think is handled really well for justifying this ending though, is the hidden compartment in the ledger.

There are Inland Empire warnings all over the place about looking into the ledger, even warnings about looking into the garbage to find the ledger at all. Some part of Harry remembers what's in there, and that he needs to let it go and stop looking at it. We can even see in THE UNSOLVABLE CASE that Harry broke down and started crying after beating the dude with the ledger ended up jamming the compartment. He obsesses over those lines in the letter so much that even in my recent playthrough where I've never looked inside the ledger, it still came up as a response for Harry to give when Garte didn't like his karaoke: "But I have a vast soul that she'll always come back to!"

Not looking in there again, or letting the letter go if you do look in there, can be seen as a very conscious choice and step forward for Harry.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kraftwerk posted:

That entire subplot pisses me off.
Harry fixates on his ex way too hard. Like I get that this is a terrible breakup and that he lost a lot in the process. But is that any reason to flush your entire life down the proverbial toilet? All I wanted was for Harry to get over it, move on and meet another woman who he's compatible with. Instead the game kind of runs you through these obsessive morale/health nightmares. I mean all of these issues can be resolved. He can find love again and it might even be healthier and more rewarding than his last relationship.

Man all the stuff about game mechanics and ending scenes aside, Harry getting into a new relationship with anyone sounds like a disastrous idea right now. Let him learn how to be healthy single for more than a few days first!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Funniest bug so far is after I sent Kim away to take the body in, I was speaking to Siileng and mentioned the Apricot Isles or w/e. A ghostly Kim chipped in with a sigh and head shake. How? :iiam:

Kim has extremely high Esprit De Corps

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

weekly font posted:

Are there any playthroughs of the OG game (unless you know of a good Final Cut one that started) where someone actually takes the time to discuss some of the game’ssymbolism and politics? Likely the only way I would be into an LP of this but need something to hold me over cause I’m too busy to really sink my teeth in at the moment.

Bonus points if they’re not some neolib dipshit like every Twitch streamer who just wants politics to shutup so they can keep making money off donations from whales.

Yeah, this is a great one:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5dr1EHvfwpNZ5nYHgJtTgRr4no7m-UWY

The guy often pauses to ramble about political side topics the game got him thinking about, and he's pretty lefty

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Lugubrious posted:

There's a couple points where, probably with high enough Perception, you catch the light glinting off of something out in the bay, likely the deserter's scope.

I'd heard of these checks, and was really excited when I thought I found one right on Klaasje's roof! But it turned out to just be an insanely well-timed spotlight to kick off the superstar thought. :v:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I just realised I can't find the link to that Glados reading of Kingdom of Conscience, can we get that added to the OP?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Eeee thanks for that

But yeah, can we get this added to the OP, cause goddamn it's so good

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Chekans 3 16 posted:

You can go in a place where you can sleep and forge them yourself if you pass the check. I failed mine and lost my pen :(

Idiot Doom Spiral can keep the pen, I'm keeping his jacket :smug:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah, this is a great one:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5dr1EHvfwpNZ5nYHgJtTgRr4no7m-UWY

The guy often pauses to ramble about political side topics the game got him thinking about, and he's pretty lefty

This is an LP of the original game though, so it won't have any of the Final Cut voices.

Speaking of those voices, I just got to the Billie Mejean scene, drat they just nailed it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

mary had a little clam posted:

How do you think Disco Elysium manages to avoid that tediousness?

Someone already mentioned the worldbuilding, and I think the other characters who aren't Harry also play a big part in that.

It doesn't feel like a self-centered ego-gratification trip to make Harry's problems in particular, or "white dude problems" in general, feel the most important because the other people Harry interacts with feel really fleshed out. Their different backgrounds, their different perspectives, and their own problems matter too. Harry's our viewpoint character, but even when the city of Revachol itself makes him sound like some kind of chosen one, he's still not the centre of the universe.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Noxville posted:

I attached mine to the post so not really as easy. What image hosting is easiest to use now that imgur has become an enormous pain in the arse? I’ll do that in future.

I just post poo poo in a discord channel!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Novasol posted:

I just finished up my first playthrough, as a 2/4/4/2 sober communist cop. Electrochemistry got very pissy at me for not drinking/doing drugs as the game got into the late stages, but the absolute biggest crime it committed was making me distrust the necktie since they ALWAYS chimed in together somehow. When the time for the tie's big moment came, I killed it because I assumed it wanted me to drink and I was trying to have Raphael move on with his life. Thanks Electrochemistry :negative:

The game also acknowledges this:

That's hilarious, I've never seen this bit of dialogue, even though I had a very similar reaction to distrust the tie on my first run.

What do you mean though, when you say you killed it? I just stopped wearing it when it told me to buy the blue spirits.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Aaaah, so that's why I didn't see it. But yeah, I had the exact same thought that the tie was in league with Electrochemistry. I also bought the spirit, just cause the 3 real option came up so I grabbed it. But then I was thinking how I couldn't trust the tie, and when I read the new quest saying the tie was "preparing for endgame", I took it off cause I thought it was literally trying to kill me. :v:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

EorayMel posted:

Are the lieutenant's Conceptualization skills rudimentary? Discuss.

Kim's Conceptualization score must be way higher than Harry's. Cause this observation was trash, while "Daba-doop-doop-dead" was art.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Cheston posted:

Do completed thoughts ever pipe up like skills do?

Not speaking to you directly, like skills do. But they'll indirectly speak through Harry by making more dialogue options available. The feminist thought is a pretty good example.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Xander77 posted:

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grPIXQX_iOU

Wonder how many hidden interactions are yet to be discovered.

"No, that wasn't my fascist line, that was my ultraliberal one. I can do the fascist one if you want"

Lmfao thanks so much for posting this

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

nurmie posted:

also, we definitely need more Weird Town Mystery Solving games

Crazy Noisy Disco Town

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

repiv posted:

I caught three instances of the VO accidentially being left uncensored in my run

- the narrator just says human being
- pissf****t says flaubert instead
- one of the hardies says fucktard instead

It doesn't really matter but it's odd how it differs between the voice actors

I'm guessing since it was getting censored, the actors were free to fudge it a bit if they preferred to say a different filler word starting with F?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah there is. I can't crop it because I'm on mobile but I pulled this from my Steam account.

Poor Kim, stuck next to this fascist rear end in a top hat :smith:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

While his balance between straight man and fellow weirdo is spot-on perfect, the other main thing that inspires such near-universal adoration for Kim is probably his sheer loyalty to Harry, and by extension, the player. He might make some surface-level dry comments and "khm"s but whenever the chips are down and it actually counts, he constantly backs Harry up through so much of Harry's self-inflicted bullshit. No matter what kind of player you are or what character traits and political views you lean towards, it feels pretty amazing to know that someone so thoroughly has your back.

That's probably the one and only thing I could possibly (mildly) criticise about Kim, actually. (besides him being a Moralist I guess, but I don't even have the heart for that since he has only the most pragmatic of takes on it) When you really think about it, he maybe rolls with Harry's poo poo a little bit too much, imo.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

nurmie posted:

iirc, she assumes the "human can opener" moniker means that Harry literally opens people up like cans, torturing them to death on behalf of that one powerful gangster who she's ran afoul of (if i'm not mistaken). Harry's colleagues deny that outright, not in the least because Harry's too unstable to be a hitman (as opposed to being a cop)

Pretty sure that's meant to be metaphorical instead. There's a part in the confrontation with Ruby where you can bring it up yourself, to help soften the blow when she hears who sold her out. Something like, "you called me a human can opener... I just opened them up." Ruby does not react to this with horror at their brutal deaths but instead takes the metaphorical understanding of it,that you got them to crack and open up to spill all the info inside.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I did my check while still lugging the Kvalsund around, that was fun to see

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh god that's horrible :stonk:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Heath posted:

So if I want to do Columbo, what? Reaction Speed, Logic, Conceptualization?

I feel like Colombo has really high Volition too. Just really down to earth and whenever those snooty murderers are looking down on his clothes and his car, he never gets his morale rattled one bit.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I once had a random hookup shortly after I left my ex-husband, which went wonderfully and I kept seeing the dude for a while cause we had a great Netflix-and-chill thing going. But I broke it off after one evening, he mentioned in passing some guy he'd been reading about with "some interesting ideas", and he couldn't even actually remember the name but it sounded like it had to be Jordan Peterson.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Fister Roboto posted:

Hammered in the rear end by a Sleazy Union Boss's Unbelievably Uncomfortable Chair While I Have a Panic Attack about my Lost Gun

Is that the latest Chuck Tingle, or the latest thing played on Speedfreaks FM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This is very cool, but don't scroll lower on this page unless you got lots of morale