Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Switch release is slated for Q3 right? Was hoping to dig into it soon but if it's down the line, I may do my artsy himbo who is totally deaf to everything going on outside his own skull 5/1/5/1 on my PC and save another playthrough for then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'll admit I really miss Christman as Hardy...his faltering yet insistent defiance that wilted under more direct questioning but never veered from the core of looking out for the people important to himself and union was really well portrayed by his mix of being awkward and aggressive, something that doesn't really feel like it carries over into his more "in on it" redneck drawl

every other VA change has been neutral or an improvement imho, at lease that I've run into

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

macabresca posted:

I've already talked to Joyce she paid for my first debt and I didn't see the option to ask her for more. Evrart is in the harbour, right? I guess I'll be just reloading until the dice roll right because I don't see any other way to get there now. Selling bottles and items wouldn't give me enough unfortunately. I was trying to be a good hobo, collecting bottles and saving money but alas, it wasn't enough

Pawn shop is open, you can sell everything you own there if you've been puttering around gathering and taking things in

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

OK, can someone please explain the Thought Cabinet to me. Does the electricity stuff going between some of them mean those are "active?" Are they all active if they're in the cabinet? Does the electricity mean I'm learning that skill now?

What does the electricity mean, basically.

it looks cool, that's it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't think it would have the morale hits if the game was taking place somewhere psychotic nationalism is widely lauded, and there are many, but it's not. It's taking place in a city colonized by a diverse coalition of holier than thou foreigners whose opening gambit was to destroy the city and then take all its stuff, and most anybody a Revacholian fascist will run into will not be fascists and will not like what they are saying. The communist thought gets to dispense of this issue by acknowleding that communism is about failure and it was defeated BUT there's obviously a latent desire for it. Fascism doesn't even have a big dramatic loss to hang onto

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I suspect that the real reason Gary is a cryptofash is the wonderful play on words him being one allowed for

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

"i'm annoyed that the main character doesn't react healthily to the circumstances in which he finds himself and that he employs obviously maladaptive coping mechanisms to deal with issues in his life"
- person who purchased and then played through the entirety of Human Trainwreck Simulator 2020, seemingly without ever coming within shouting distance of The Point

2019! :eng101:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Too Many Birds posted:

been trying to see if i can get past day one doing anything else except investigating the body but its starting to look like i can't progress into day 2 until i do? am i correct on this?

i just wanna collect cans and talk to the locals, police work is for nerds.

Not only can you progress without ever doing that, but there is in fact an achievement for it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of which, is it possible to get both the achievement for this, but also pull the boots off the body? I'd assume not, but I'd love a way of getting the achievement relevant to my spoiler, in the same playthrough! :D

I'd assume not, that comes after getting your poo poo together and doing the external examination and I dont even think you have the chance until it's down and about to go into the bag

That said, its frankly heretical to think you need anything but a single shoe, no pants, a frog hat, a silk robe, and a mesh t shirt

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sebmojo posted:

i made the 3% red check to steal the sandwich, then couldn't go through with it

Coward, that sandwich has been my white whale across 3 playthroughs. When it comes out on Switch I'm literally building my detective around getting it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Randarkman posted:

I started out a new run, though I'm not sure that I want to stick with it. Possibly put some more thought into the build I'm going with and what ideology/vision quest I'n going to be going for.

The one just I did was ultraliberal with a 1/4/5/2 +Conceptualization, Superstar Cop + Art Cop, where I ended the game with very high Shivers (I really love Shivers, though maybe I mgiht have to try to let that one go to get a different experience, but it's a hard one, I really love it).

The new one I started is 3/2/2/5 +Empathy, thinking of possibly going Boring Cop or Sorry Cop and Moralist, but I'm not so sure about this one, hence why I'm laying out my thoughts in post form.

end game spoiler Harry being a former gym teacher also kind of gave me the idea of doing a run with Physical Instrument as signature skill and maybe something like a 4/2/3/3 or along those lines. Fascist and/or Communist. I dunno.

I usually recommend inverting the stats on the 2nd playthrough, so in your case 5 2 1 4, and just pick whatever grab bag of ideologies and whatnot pops up for you or that you didnt run with before. Physical instrument is a fun one to hear from a lot

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gimme that GOD drat sandwich old man

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Evart is definitely a Huey Long type, someone it's always fun to think about how they'd be vilified if they were around and doing there thing today lol

the absolute image of a "results-oriented" person leading a coalition based essentially on Maoist lines, the slogan also gives it away or makes it a huge coincidence.

There's no way the union could ship more drugs than the capitalists at least, and it's not like he's sending death squads to march around the Moralintern's territory terrorizing people

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lightningproof posted:

Wild how DE's message is both that communism isn't perfect or spotless and also that communism failed because *really mean baddies* who *weren't Proper Communists* ended up in charge of it somehow everywhere it ever happened.

The communist leaders in.....the moralintern? Who do you think crushed the revolution?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I took it as sarcastic :shrug:

I might've been whooshed there but it's a pretty common talking point

I think the most you could say is that the game seems to think that communism is the best among flawed options, but even that ignores that the ultralibs were allied with the commies in the revolution. It really portrays the moralists as huge monsters but like, look around, that is the world they built. They rolled in, killed everybody they saw until people stopped fighting, blew up a few blocks, got the mineral rights, and hosed off. Joyce and Sunday Friend will both be happy to regretfully inform you of the necessity of all of this

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think the big difference between right wing libertarians as we know them in the US and ultraliberals in DE is that in the latter, they seem to be coming from a place where they acknowledge the system is broken and screwing them. This opposed to thinking the system is fair and working as intended, and anybody who is screwed probably deserves it.

It's basically the only reason they'd side with the commies even if the alternative is a degenerated monarchy. Also it sounds like the king was hogging all the good blow

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

tribunal spoilers lmao

95 percent shot to shoot the merc leader? miss :negative:
70 percent shot to shoot him again? miss :negative:
70 percent to warn kim? fail :negative:

good lord harry whyyyyyy

You wouldn't happen to have that auto fail all red checks thought internalizing would you?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

nope! just some lovely luck

That is some legendarily lovely luck then lol

At least you get the rarer ending with the secret partner assisting

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kalsco posted:

I ended up waiting out a bunch of time with a book, got a skill point to put into Physical Instrument, equipped some clothing, and spin kicked Measurehead, lol. I got to the autopsy, had a heart attack, and on my return back from my previous save, I managed to open up the shipping container at some stupid odds (i.e. I think my chance was like 8%? I failed my first time by) and met the light bending man. I'm dying.

this is a truly blessed playthrough, leaving aside the constant death

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

they'll sell Kim's jacket and displate art but where is the drat necktie in the shop ZA/UM

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh my god, the tutorial agent bit here is incredible.

Watching Cohh go through this has been great, every time he is faced with a bunch of political responses he declares them all to be communism and goes with the boring cop one

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but because I have a horrible migraine right now and can't really get into playing, myself, I am more interested in watching someone else play. Are there are suggested LPs for this? Don't wanna wind up watching a total idiot (of any sort, idiots with bad politics, included)

There was a good LP of it here that's probably up on the LP archives if those are still a thing. That or once streamers wrap it up they will have VODs to watch

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Sounds funny but also annoying and ignorant af to me.

Guy I'm watching rn is alright so far. He's doing a totally blind playthrough. I dunno anything about him though, never watched him before. Hoping he isn't some shitheaded chud and I just haven't seen the evidence of it yet. Mad Matt Lugos?

you'd think so but the levels it is happening on make it way funnier than it is frustrating, like the last one I remember was I think with Joyce, where it was a big political choice thing of "those women and foreigners are responsible for all of this", "they just didn't hustle and grind enough, they didn't want it", "literally grind up the ownership class", and "perhaps the solution is to consider all of this and think hard about it", then he declared them all to be the communist options and went with the "gosh everybody really is nuts aren't they" option

I can't complain or anything because he's loving the game and showing it to 10k+ people per stream, and honestly it's really interesting to watch a centrist/moralist play through when most others play turbo commies by default

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They had a bunch of lefty podcasters do voices and made the hero detective be named after Nick Mullen, they're online as hell lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

if he truly is a Hotep, there is no dissonance there. Race mixing to a lot of them (there isn't a single agreed upon doctrine here or anything) is only truly bad when it's women doing it, as men doing it is "planting a seed" or something and is actually an act of rebellion

If he truly does seem conflicted about it, odds are it's because he genuinely believes both things and that bothers him and it bothering her bothers him

He has the same sort of dissonance about Evart but it clearly doesn't bother him as much, as when Harry brings up Evart being a fat slob ham sandwich man his only response is to stop being vulgar and that Evart is a good man

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dont listen to them, all true hustlers and grinders know that full FALN is the only option

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

EorayMel posted:

Authority urges you to assert and reassert your dominance over those around you. It enables you to understand the power dynamics of groups of thugs, know how far you can push a perpetrator, and how to establish control of situations.

Say what you will about its methods, the Hardie Boys cant argue I'm not deadly serious

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Archenteron posted:

Though he will probably never learn about Advanced Race Theory because it's a Conceptualization check and Woolie appears to be actively rejecting the use of that skill

He must've gotten burned by it early on lol, little does he know that Drama is the real All Bad Ideas skill there

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

that's suggestion. drama can occasionally bail you out of a tight spot, but suggestion is so bad so frequently that if you pass one (fruitless) check with it at the endgame encounter with the deserter it exasperatedly asks why you keep listening to it

Suggestion is a solid contender but it's not prone enough to melting down about things and really driving home that your investment in it was a mistake

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

that's wit, which is as much reaction speed in this case. Kim went all in on Authority and Volition, to the point that he was able to shut Harry down utterly with a single eyebrow raise

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The breakdown of who would and wouldn't be allies at the end also hints at how its breaking down. It's worth noting that the original revolution had the ultras siding with the commies and the union reveals a rainbow coalition character so it's probably a messy amalgamation, same as all actually successful revolutions have been

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

EorayMel posted:

Why does The Pigs not show up sometimes? I'm waiting at the spot until the meeting time, and afterwards, but no luck. Seems like it's a 50/50 shot of actually happening regardless of run of when Kim is or isn't with me. Strange...

Gotta walk into the area after so that she loads in, easiest way is to wait until the time and then enter and exit the church and head back

If you're doing that and it's still happening, no idea

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Warmachine posted:

I did a quick save and quick load.

I have no idea if that would work or not, you may just be loading a save state that doesn't have the character over and over. It's impossible to predict how these things will shake out which is why anybody who spends a lot of time in CRPGs generally and Eastern European games specifically has a robust debugging and troubleshooting toolkit (and habit of saving extremely often)

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 9, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

it was for a thought that was for suicidecop. So maybe if I keep talking about it it’ll happen again.

In a game with lots of "jesus christ this was insanely personal to me" moments, Finger on the Eject Button remains one of the most supreme ones that almost nobody will actually run into in a normal playthrough. It's also pretty much perfectly written for what it is trying to convey

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nordick posted:

:siren: Horrific Necktie is now available as official Disco Elysium merch.

https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1395774604413739012

loving FINALLY

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So if I can't survive Evrart's uncomfortable chair but also can't leave the docks, wtf am I supposed to do?

grab the keycard to bail and get more healing if you can't get to the guard post. If you've gotten there in the first place you probably have a way out

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Meltdown Cop is the one Acele ran across

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

nothing in disco elysium has killed more players than the fan

false, the tie is an optional miniboss, the first real likely death boss is The Chair

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

On my first run I never even revealed my face, just a blurry mess forever

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah there is. I can't crop it because I'm on mobile but I pulled this from my Steam account.

deeply cursed

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

Got my wife playing it. She's not a video game person at all. Has some interest in DnD type RPG, and tabletop and some experience in each. Got her started, she chose the emotional default character. Started out hardly being able to walk around, still needs to look down for the A button on the xbox controller. She played for ten hours yesterday, completing the first day. I gave her almost no help past initial getting started and keys and whatnot. Still hasn't gotten the body down, or even spoken to Measurehead. Did go through a lot of the Doomed Commercial Area. She's going to be a moralist, sorry cop, it looks like, though she's getting a bit more aggressive though, thanks to her fairly high physique score. She likes the horrible tie, for sure. She did get a bit upset at how the game is complicated and esoteric. I told her that, yes it was, and I still don't know how everything works, but that she is doing fine. She has mastered the Jamrock Shuffle, and figured out that like every bottle you can see, you can pick up, which I never realized.

I also already told her that this is basically the best game ever so, everything else will be poor in comparison.

Any recommendations for point and click, RPG's and Visual Novels that a casual might like to try after this?

LISA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Measurehead had really strong hotep/Jakub energy to me, but of course no character is a 1:1 parallel to our world so it's a blend. Definitely the extremely online variety of every tenancy that makes him up tho. My favorite factoid about Measurehead is that the actor who was reading his lines couldn't stop cracking up the whole time as he was reading them, which I definitely understand