Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah the clothes shuffling is legit quite bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Torquemadras posted:

I'd like that button. Maybe even next to a White check, so that I can optimize for that check right away instead of leaving the conversation for a short bit.

A randomized dressup button would be cool, too

Actually rather than micromanaging clothes per check they should probably only let you change clothes at sensible times, like the morning or whatever, so you're forced to commit to a certain 'build' for the day rather than just doing magical girl transformations whenever you need a bunch of Conceptualization.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Breetai posted:

Hope being a theme of this game is great and was pivotal to how I reacted to the first playthrough.

I don't know why my chosen graffiti was "something beautiful is going to happen", it was a complete whim, but then when the phasmid revealed itself I was genuinely shook up.

Right?? What an incredible moment of, uh, I don't know the pretentious word, I'm sorry. I don't have enough Conceptualization

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

In the next one I hope we get to be women

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

A bunch of us failed our Denizen checks or whatever aspect of the psyche is responsible for autonomically reacting to forums gimmicks the way a lizard reflexively shoots blood from its eyes when confronted with danger.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Harry sobbing and apologizing to his would-be victim as La Puta Madre's goons look on in deep discomfort

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Oh no...oh no...oh no...I just got a game writing gig but...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Send me your goon force, I am going to try to put together a thingaling and apply for the writer job.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ah gently caress

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yes if your PS4 doesn't have an SSD. Reducing load times is the best thing you can do for the game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm having a really hard time getting into this. I'm finding the constant interjections from my subconscious way more annoying than interesting.

anxiety lyfe

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I hope the next game is about wömen.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The minions of capital are not human.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

JBP posted:

Why do these people need to be with the same company to make another videogame? They'll get crowd funding or kindly investor cash to start a studio in five seconds.

They may not want to go through the years long ordeal of video game development again after doing it once and having their poo poo stolen.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

JBP posted:

Successful creatives are allowed to be somewhat difficult to work with

No, you just get replaced by someone easier to work with.

There's an especially cool variant of this where people in charge gently caress you over, then hire new people and let the new people (who have no idea why you're so cranky and difficult, they just wanna do their jobs and make the people in charge happy) decide you're too much trouble. It's like human laundering. Never directly touch the people you're loving over, never leave a clearly legible mark, let them kick up a fuss and let them be railroaded out the door for it. They own everything you did, they don't need you any more.

Or more concisely

moot the hopple posted:

Ah so it wasn't capitalism per se, it was just a system that alienated workers from their works, got it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Well I'm not fine! I'm loving pissed off! We could have had a world with slightly more wonder and craft in it, and instead we get a world with slightly more revenue streams. God drat.

Go pick one of your favorite pieces of art and imagine the world without it. That's the world we get. We get the world without the next thing they would've made together.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Huh, yeah that's a lot more precise.

I'm leery about assigning authorial intent, especially not being super familiar with Zaum's background in Estonia but it's also not a hill I care to die on.

What do you think them thanking Marx and Engels on stage implies about their authorial intent? I don't think we have to be TOO leery.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

I think more than any legal issues, losing the rights to the world you spent 20 years building is pretty demoralizing and probably doesn't inspire someone to immediately want to get back out there and make a new game elsewhere.

No silly, don't you see, they'll just pick up and make even better games fueled by our collective adoration. Burnout and alienation have no effect on the creative mind. They are basically abstract factories that make Disco Elysium widgets.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I absolutely do not think it was a jest. Last time I left a game studio post-crunch I was doing nights in the local ER for observation.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

In some countries that aren’t as hosed as the USA you can just go to a mental hospital if you need to. You don’t need to worry about crushing debt or getting thrown out because you’re only a danger to yourself, not others (this is my favorite ER rule, they can only accept you for long term treatment if you’re going to hurt someone other than yourself). I’ve had friends in Germany who’ve done time in mental hospitals because they were just too drat depressed to go on, and they got help, and assistance getting their jobs back (or a new job), and other things you would expect from a society with basic compassion.

I am not sure how this helps maintain price stability though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

kliras posted:

how important is hp etc/volition in the game? i didn't want to do a brawler and didn't put any points in hp, and right out of the gate, i get taken out by a ceiling fan

just wondering whether things like that are likely to happen, because it doesn't give you a lot to work with short of savescumming

You can take painkillers to avoid dying when you're at 0 hp.

That said congratulations on having one of the quintessential DE experiences, you did nothing wrong.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This was a really nice post to read.

Imagine how many unlikely things had to come together to let us exist in a world with this game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mister Bezos is helping me fund my show

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It’s certainly elicited some elaborate args :argh:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

If your guy dies trying to get his tie off the fan, it's a complete narrative arc wholly appropriate to the guy you made. You didn't lose what that playthrough would've been, you just completed the playthrough.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Someone just told me Helen Hindpere was fourteen when she started writing for DE???? And (allegedly) that this is why all the kids sound so plausibly kid-like.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Wittgen posted:

Being fascist doesn't make Kim hate you. He's a cop, and in end, he cares far more for the fact that you're a fellow cop and good at your job than he does about you having distasteful politics.

Ultimately the game doesn't have anything particularly insightful or impressive to say about fascism though. The fascist thought was something like, fascism is just about misogyny.

I’ve been trying to find the YouTube edit where “pogface Kim” calls you “the best drat cop on the foooorce” and explains that even though you’re a piece of poo poo they don’t give a gently caress because they’re cops. Where is it. I need it so bad

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Wittgen posted:

Being fascist doesn't make Kim hate you. He's a cop, and in end, he cares far more for the fact that you're a fellow cop and good at your job than he does about you having distasteful politics.

Ultimately the game doesn't have anything particularly insightful or impressive to say about fascism though. The fascist thought was something like, fascism is just about misogyny.

Making fascism so deeply in conflict with reality that you are required to damage yourself in order to say fascist things was pretty insightful imo. Communism is sad and broken but tinged with hope, fascism requires you to do violence to yourself and the world.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Toebone posted:

Martin Luiga just posted some early (~2012) Elysium fiction.

https://medium.com/@martinluiga/full-core-state-nihilist-bd6d6a13c3ba

im permabanned poster mesquefagget58. i first started doing a number on the whole nature of reality when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "nihilism" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "femme piss" and "cum-tard, furthermore cumlessness" into the market square for hours, and i would get really feisty, pulling guns on moralfaggert aunties, thinking i was actually lita zippora etc, basically pale exposure. im now on antientreponotics. i always wondered what the kind of "hard core" style of nihilist humor was all about; i think it's the pale leaking in to the isolary reality, what franconigerian medicine considered to be the cause of mental spallation and chorotypical symptoms. i would advise all people who "get" full core state nihilism to be careful because that likely means the white outside the world is pouring through you and undermining reality. good fortune boias

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

[Authority - Failure] Emptyquote my insanely good post and read the hilarious nihilist edgelord poo poo that Martin from ZA/UM posted. Get the story behind those mesque bangers and enjoy some of the last genuine elysium fiction we might ever read. Kim, I love Internet forums. Let’s post some more

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Revachol is part France, part British Empire, part post-communism Warsaw Pact state, and part New York (if New York was cut in half by a river with an ultrarich international zone in the east and the subjugated dirt poor locals in the west.)

Yeah our ultrarich international zone is to the west. And if you keep going you hit joysey

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

New conceptualization dropped https://twitter.com/artofrostov/status/1590353068729995264

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I hope they stuff the mega rich light bending guys into a cargo container and ship them to Baltimore irl

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

Kompus also claimed that Kurvitz and Taal had discussed wanting to take control of the company's intellectual property – including Disco Elysium – which he described as "delusions of grandeur."

"They went to sell themselves secretly and in violation of existing contracts to other well-known large game industry companies, but no one was interested," Kompus said. "That might have made them angry."

I fully believe these dudes were assholes and hard to work with but calling the idea of owning the IP you built from nothing "delusional" is rich in every sense of the word

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It’s completely possible that Kurvitz et al were toxic disengaged assholes because they made a successful game and a beautiful world and it was all being stolen from them. Material conditions change how people behave.

It’s possible they were just assholes anyway but I doubt the material conditions helped. Great writers don’t always make great collaborators or great bosses or even great people. They still deserve to get paid and own their work.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

The barrage of conflicting hearsay, obvious media manipulation, and bizarre public statements has left me with the following picture: Robert Kurvitz is probably a shithead, but he was also up-and-down hosed by a bunch of shady financial ghouls and their gibbering legal homunculi. Does that sound about right?

Even if you're willing to settle here, I'd definitely add "a lot of people act like shitheads when they're being treated like poo poo". It's pretty elementary triangulation to gently caress someone over, let them get steadily more pissed off and unwilling to do their job, then tell everyone else they're a problem who has to go.

I've had bosses who behaved in absolutely unacceptable ways — screaming, throwing things, tearing into subordinates — but who were also at the tail end of months of hundred-hour-a-week crunch, drunk, depressed, sole survivors of huge purges that had taken out all their friends and colleagues, sometimes the ones required to carry out the purges, and fully aware they were being used as circuit breakers by management. By circuit breakers I mean they'd been put in position to take the fall for poor decisionmaking higher up in the org. This isn't an excuse, you should never scream or throw things or cuss out you subordinates, but...people aren't always glowing saints when they're being treated badly. People do not have unlimited control over their own behavior under stress. Resources get depleted, people break down. Part of the responsibility for good personal conduct is on the company to provide an environment that treats people well.

"Get rid of all the bad people" is very much necessary in a lot of places, but "we treated this person like poo poo, and now, regretfully, we must admit they are toxic and abusive" is an easy and cynical way to take advantage of that.

I have no idea how to tell the difference from outside, though, except I guess to believe specific allegations rather than general companyspeak. Although that puts the onus on victims to come forward on the record and blrughrgre now I'm depressing myself

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

i am a moron posted:

There was an article posted by someone who supposedly has sources in the company that I’m assuming no one read.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/disco-elysium-studio-zaum-confirms-former-employees-were-fired-for-misconduct

It was posted and reacted to earlier in this thread, I am a moron. Don’t sign my posts

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I've tried to make it clear that I'm against the money ghouls who have cheated these people out of a world they've been creating since their teens, but the narrative that's been formed means pushing back against the takeover requires, on some level, minimizing allegations of (at bottom, though you know they're gonna escalate) "gender discrimination", which I'm not personally enthusiastic about doing. Fr'instance, and yo I'm sorry to use your post as an example but I'm trying to post on the internet over here:

Excuse me?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I wrote a pretty lengthy and very mad post about the ways that game studios force people to work 400 hours a month for months on end, refuse to give them leave, deny them any kind of mental health support except for huge amounts of free alcohol in the studio, and then kick them out the door as 'toxic' when they scream at someone (because if you do this to some people, they will start screaming). This has not happened to me, but I have definitely seen it happen to people who were toxic, but were also at the end of several years of institutionalised psychological torture.

But if "how do we apportion moral responsibility to broken people an insanely hosed up human-corrosive environment being manipulated by ghouls? I don't know and find the issue really difficult" is going to be read as 'minimizing allegations of gender discrimination' then posting about it is a waste of time. Exploring why things happen isn't minimizing or excusing them. It's the only way we can make them better.

I will go ahead with my stupid dumb long post if it seems like a good idea after sitting on it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The short version of the narrative laid out in that article is that the money people wanted to do some fraud to gain control of the company and flip it to a US buyer (Microsoft, Amazon, someone) before the pesky creatives even noticed they'd lost control. Kurvitz et al. were fired when they noticed what was happening.

The specific maneuver by the money people was giving some concept art for Disco Elysium 2 to a third party studio, then using ZA/UM money to 'buy' that concept art back for a cool $5 million, then using the third party's $5 million to buy up the ZA/UM shares necessary to seize control.