Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Just finished my first playthrough, loved it, confused about one part, spoilers for the whole game.

Why did the Hardie boys decide to leave the body hanging in the tree until the cops took it down?

They, and Titus specifically, clearly take responsibility for the welfare of Martinaise and for Klaasje specifically. But the people of Martinaise and Klaasje specifically are clearly distressed by the body hanging in the tree. And it eventually attracts RCM attention which eventually exposes the whole situation.

Did they want the RCM to eventually come investigate? Was Evrart ordering them to leave the body in the tree in order to provoke Wild Pines as much as possible?

It is kinda crazy that they tried to stage a body that was shot in the head as if it wasn't shot in the head, while leaving the body in broad daylight to get maximum attention from everyone. The plan seems like it would've failed immediately if people (Klaasje) hadn't taken so long to call the RCM or if Harry and Kim had investigated the scene promptly on receiving the call before the body became as decomposed as it as.

Why not just throw the body into the sea, or at least throw the head into the sea, unless they actually wanted the cops to find the bullet eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

cracking cuno across the jaw is the quickest way to establish a rapport with him

I would never do something so unprofessional and immoral as striking a child, instead I built rapport with him by giving him speed

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
When does Evrart go to sleep? Is it possible to see Evrart without Kim by sending Kim to bed and sneaking back out to the harbor?

I'm trying to work out if it's possible to conceal that your badge and gun are missing by getting them back before Kim notices.

The badge part is easy, just don't ask Joyce for lynching info until you've grabbed the badge from the car on day 3.

The gun part is harder because to get the gun back you have to talk to Evrart, and to hide it from Kim you have to talk to Evrart without Kim.

By my count there are 4 ways to separate yourself from Kim for the rest of the day: have him drive the body to processing, have him drive Klaasje to jail, be racist toward him, or retire to your rooms at 9 pm. Having him drive down the body isn't possible here because you can't get the body down from the tree without shooting it down (reveals you have no gun) or talking to Evrart (same), but being racist toward him is bad, and arresting Klaasje requires you to go really deep into the game's plot, I'm not even sure if it's possible to do without getting info from Evrart or Joyce or the body.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
That makes sense, in that case I think the only way to conceal the lost gun might demand making an even bigger rear end out of yourself: do almost nothing productive for the first two days, day 3 set up the nightclub, abuse Kim without apology, and then while Kim is off being mad at you, grab the badge and run Evrart's chores to collect the gun that evening.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
It's pretty funny to make a computer that can gobble up the internet and vomit out whatever pictures you ask it to make, even if it's "Harry DuBois arguing communism with Goku" or whatever. But if your art goes into the machine and you don't get anything out of it, that's frustrating, because being an artist already means getting compensated for much less than the value you put out into the world and the AI process makes it transparent and systemic: your art is, beyond any doubt, some small part of the foundation of this massive new industry and you get nothing out of it.

Artists should get paychecks from the public (the state) to do what they do, and in exchange, their works should be available for anyone who wants to make a machine that doodles "Evrart Claire dunking on Joyce Messier." And if they want to opt out of that, sure whatever.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Pay artists for their work. I'm not sure how I feel about work that is in the public domain, but you aren't stealing from artists if you scrape it.

"Belongs" was bad word choice. I could agonize over word choice but I won't. Pay people for their work, it's that simple.

I think the obvious solution here is that all art should be purchased into the public domain - and going forward artists should work for the public: creating art independently, releasing art to the public, and getting the money they need to lead lives of meaning and dignity.

Treating art like anything other than a public non-excludable good is going to produce dumb bullshit (inconsistent restrictions on how the art can be reproduced or remixed, artists making pittances for work that has a big impact) because it's alien to how people (and now some of our machines) actually engage with art: it influences us directly and indirectly, in unstoppable and indetectable ways.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 20, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I think Evrart is literally the only character in the game who has a way he wants to change the world for the better and a plan for accomplishing it. He's not the most likable character, but all the more likable characters are basically only involved in their own lives.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Constantly LARPing posted:

But to focus on the game, if you want to argue that the Hardies don’t understand or are misled as to the ideology that they are willing to die for, you’re free to do so, but then you’d have to buy the anti communist line that the only way anyone could support the left is if they’re duped.

"The Hardies don't have a good understanding of Evrart Claire Thought" doesn't mean "the Hardies are being duped" and it certainly doesn't mean "all leftists are being duped."

We meet all these guys during the game. Some are clever, some are stupid, together they put together a horrible coverup ever and crack after 20 minutes of collective interrogation at their own club before they've been put under arrest, with their lawyer there. You can goad one of them into saying the Hardie boys are anti-foreigner, then the rest will tell him that's bullshit. These are not men united by a common understanding of social democratic thought, they're united by a common interest in wanting to be a Hardie Boy.

I think the Hardie Boys do probably have a common understanding that workers are being exploited, that this is linked to why Martinaise is so poor, and that Evrart is fixing it. Most are willing to die for it, Shanky explicitly isn't. Beyond that, on every question of politics or operations, it's probably a "2 Hardies 3 opinions" scenario where conflicts are handled by deferring to Titus. They're not a party with a political line and educational program, they're a "big tent" club/militia for men who want to feel more powerful, productive, and socially integrated.

Liz definitely knows what's up, ideologically and operationally. Evrart sent her to babysit the Hardies because they don't always know what's up.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 24, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Alchenar posted:

The thing that tips me on Evrart is that he's not just aware that his plan leads to deliberately provoking a massacre from the mercenaries, he's positively gleeful about it.

The only way I can reconcile that what the hard empathy check tells you is that he is someone who is genuinely offended by the principle of inequality rather than the individual suffering that inequality represents.

He's an "ends justify the means" guy. I don't think that means he's apathetic to suffering, he's just willing to tolerate/encourage a lot of it in order to achieve a future where he sincerely believes there will be a lot less of it. He's wildly arrogant to play these games with people's lives, and to be so deceptive about it, but that's not the same thing as tolerance for suffering.

A lot of politics is "making other people suffer a lot more right now to advance changes that, over the long term, will reduce everyone's suffering." That's what it is when you occupy a street or building, that's what it is when you start a revolution.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Alchenar posted:

So (and I think this is open to interpretation and debate over textual intent) but once you factor in the 'turn Martinaise into a micro narco-state' plan and the 'the hardies are disposable fools, I have a real wetwork A-team you don't see' I think a really clear pattern emerges where the better world that Evrart is building is going to be inhabited by two tiers of people - an inner useful elite whom he'll protect, and everyone else who will always be seen as disposable the moment they get in the way of his vision. And none of them will get any choice in him being in charge.

Yes he's playing a dirty game and has to play dirty, and yes he will on aggregate probably make things a bit better, but Evrart does not represent a solution to the systemic problems of power and inequality and in the long run when the obviously extremely unhealthy guy in charge dies, the narco-union will almost certainly go very bad, very fast.

I think this is all correct. Evrart is comparable to Stalin or Mao in the sense that he has the vision, ruthlessness, and leadership skills necessary to rapidly improve the standards of living in his zone of control, but his leadership style demands a centralization of unchecked authority that will go very wrong when he dies, if not earlier.

Maybe the Evrart/Edgar system actually ameliorates some of this, because they can both check each other's worst impulses, and when one dies, it can be a sign for the other one to start setting up succession.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Sekenr posted:

If you don't wanna mess with stats, the premade cops are fine. I went with sensitive cop the first time around and did not regret it.

Sensitive cop is the best premade by far, I consider it the "canon" Harry. Ignorant, clumsy, voices in his head are loud and magical.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
The "sensitive" case for moralism is pretty explicit and straightforward: revolution inevitably involves mass suffering, and putting basically everyone in your society into serious danger, with only the potential of producing a better world, so to try to bring it about is to gamble with other people's lives, which is wrong.

quote:

EMPATHY: Do you believe the status quo is preferable to chaos and bloodshed?

Player answers no:
Then you’ve never experienced real chaos.

Player answers yes:
There you have it. Sometimes holding the line is progress.

If it's not ethical to organize a militia to make bread free, then the best we can do is organize a committee to stabilize its price.

Of course this isn't the justification for the choices made by the Moralintern itself who are perfectly willing to implement chaos and bloodshed to defend a regulated market economy ("the bourgeois are not human.") But it's why someone like Kim is a moralist. Communist/fascist/ultraliberal revolution? That's crazy, there'd be mass violence and famine, maybe another People's Pile. Better to make a small positive difference every day.

Another way of putting it would be that, however the Empathy character is set up, it's more sensitive to the "hot terror" than the "cold terror" to use Mark Twain's terms. Or, being an emotional and not an intellectual trait, it's capable of inferring "revolutions are scary" but not "much of the suffering I observe would be resolved by radical political transitions."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I was waiting until I learned whether I liked playing the sequel to decide whether it was a crude clone by IP thieves or a genius continuation of a beloved idea by a team troubled under capitalism.

Now that I'll never play it, it definitely would've been s crude clone by IP thieves.