Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Finally played through the game, some thoughts on the conclusion to the case -

I liked the solution to the case. It felt appropriate that the murder was committed by someone who had been overlooked, acting on a combination of bitter political resentment and psycho-sexual jealousy. It seemed appropriate thematically and the scene confronting him was good.

I think the structure of the game does suffer towards the end, though. The plot segment where you gradually break down the lies surrounding the lynching at the Whirling-in-Rags is great, and you can work out that:
- the lynching was a farce
- the victim was actually shot
- nobody heard the gunshot, therefore the bullet must have come from far away
- there are the three places where the shot most likely came from
Given that, the fact that you're then forced to chase the Ruby thread which turns out to be pretty much a complete blind alley which wastes time as the mercenaries move feels bad. Like maybe she could shed a bit of light on the lynching situation, but you already mostly understand that and she has an alibi since there's no way she could have run to a position where she could've made the shot and got back in 10 minutes.

It seems like we could've reasonably just gone to Joyce to try and beg a ride to the island. Or if we just mentioned the island to a couple of people on the fishing village it seems like we could've found out about the 'fire-man' which would be a very strong reason to go to the island.

Still a good game, and I appreciate that having a branch like that would've taken up a collosal amount of scarce dev resources, but that one aspect of the main plotline felt like I was being forced to follow a bad lead while the rest of the game felt like it flowed pretty naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can almost see the logic, but the game does (or at least can) raise the issue of the gunshot sound in a thought after your final confrontation with Titus. It just seems like it's not information you can act on, even though it would seem to eliminate the (otherwise plausible) rooftop gunman theory and therefore exonerate both Klaasje and Ruby. Finding out that a military-style rifle was used in the shooting also significantly raised the chance of it being a distant sniper in my view.

I'd say in almost every other part of the game the progression on the investigation feels pretty natural and you have a few ways to advance, even if I assume you ultimately get drawn into the same basic plot beats (which makes sense since you really need to unravel the fake lynching to make any progress in the case). The lowest effort fix I can think of would be to make it so you can raise the gunshot sound at some point (maybe with Kim or Titus?) and introduce some possible refutation like the possibility of a silencer or the Whirling just being generally loud enough that people could plausibly miss a gunshot. That would've made the Ruby chase seem like less of an obvious blind alley in my view.

I don't have a problem with the shootout scene itself though - it makes sense that even though you've made some progress with the case you still can't convince a very damaged war criminal not to seek revenge for the death of what was quite possibly the only person he ever cared about. Heck, even if you could straight up solve the case and arrest The Deserter before that scene I'm not convinced you could fully prevent the ensuing battle, he was still always going to be pissed off at the Hardy Boys for stringing his (effective) brother up to rot in public for days.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 26, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm curious if Evrart works out how the murder happened after you tell him the murder weapon was a gun. I know it was Edgar who interacted with The Deserter but presumably Evrart also knew about him (and he never leaves his shipping container so he wouldn't ever be in the line of fire himself).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It only autosaves like once an hour so I'd definitely manual save more often than that, I lost quite a lot of progress to unexpected deaths a couple of times

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The RCM (as well as the union enforcers) was a civilian movement aimed at restoring order, since I assume the occupation was more interested in stopping dissent and protecting Moralintern's economic interests than community policing. We still see an example of the latter in the game but my thought would be after 40 years of occupation Moralintern sees Revachol as too broken to ever be a serious threat again and is fine with mostly handing over the anti-revolutionary job to the underfunded and underequipped local force, and has stopped investing their own resources in it as much.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume this is just cashing in with some kind of embezzlement rather than legitimately going out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No Dignity posted:

I think the problem people have with that People Make Games piece is that it puts the credible allegations of Actual Crimes by management the accusations of unprofessional conduct and vague allegations of toxicity by the founders on equal footing, when really the only pertinent thing in the story should be 'they had their work stole' and they're basically carrying water for management by running 'Kurvitz was burnt out and didn't manage his team well after DE released' so prominently
IDK, I think it did a decent job of presenting the two issues separately. The issues with Kurvitz as a leader don't in any way justify Havel's crimes but I do think it's useful as context to explain why the staff weren't all resolutely behind him.