Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

battlepigeon posted:

My horrific tie talks now! Is this new? He is also a cheeky bastard

It is not.

Also, listen to him. He is very wise. And talk to the drunks in the village. He has something very important to say about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kraftwerk posted:

Which skills will give me some kind of high level knowledge of what's REALLY going on in the world?
Like how do I gain an understanding of the political stuff, the pale or spiritual realm. How do I get into the deep political and philosophical debates?

Put plenty of points in the two mental skills (Especially encyclopedia, rhetoric, inland empire and esprit de corps), and then try to get Shivers as high as possible.

Your character will be very convinced he has a high level of knowledge of the world, and you'll have lots of options to say things that are very spiritual, political, and philosophical.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

As long as you find a way to pay for your room on the first day, there is no timer.

There's not even a timer for that, is there? It doesn't matter how late it is, Kim will still spot you the money unless you have sent him away, right? The pawn shop never closes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

in my run i'm kinda meta-gaming by avoiding thinking about Dolores (and her) at all.

This is how you get the good dreams ending, so keep going!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Internalizing a subject doesn't mean becoming its adherent, or even agreeing with it, it just means understanding it at a fundamental enough level that it affects how you interact with the world for having thought about it so long. As such internalizing can have many different outcomes, some rather unexpected.

Also you can always discard thoughts whenever you want so don't stress too much about them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You can find other ways by him, yes. But "Harry spends far too long thinking about some really stupid poo poo that is going to help no one, especially himself" is kind of a running theme and it's not something to stress about either. If you don't do it, do it because you dont want to do it, not because you are worried about consequences.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

zenguitarman posted:

I got the "good ending" as far as that's possible

You got the good dreams that had no traces of ex-wives in them?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

zenguitarman posted:

lol gently caress I completely forgot about this

I really was genuinely and pleasantly surprised to find out there was an alternate dream for people who really committed to the best possible path.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah the fact that the narration completely cuts out whenever anyone talks, even if it means cutting out or picking up halfway through a goddamn sentence is super weird and confusing.

Also the way the narrator pronounces some words is weird as gently caress. "yoo rhine all" was especially hilarious. Is that actually how brits say that? It sounds incredibly dumb.

But I'm really enjoying it.

Sekenr posted:

Goddamn, now I have to start over. Spoil a bit for me can you gently caress it up by calling the video rental store? Dialing the long distance call seems obvious. Or is it just a matter of always listening to your instincts when they say - dude, better not do it? Just wouldn't want to accidentally ruin the run by clicking on some object that I'm not supposed to.

I don't have any clue. I was just as careful as I could be not to ever remember jack poo poo, and honestly the game acted all shocked as it listed off the many, many things, some of which I wouldn't have expected, as stuff I'd somehow completely avoided. The three I remember it listing was NOT looking at the dolores mural in the church and NOT grabbing the little figurine in the pawn shop and NOT checking inside the ledger

I did it as part of my ultraliberal hustler path because honestly I see each ideology (as Harry embraces them, anyway) primarily as a personal coping method, and the ultraliberal path is definitely "distracting myself with inanities and delusions to completely avoid engaging with the world or its past on any level whatsoever in favour of building a pleasing fantasy unencumbered by all the poo poo that's happened before (but with a fundamental sense that something about the world has been incredibly unfair to me and I absolutely do NOT want to think about what it was)".

My canonical Harry is definitely a fasco-communist though. A tragic past he can never regain, multiple personal reasons to hate foreigners and women, the feeling that there's no hope for the future and that better things aren't really possible because better things happened and look how it ended? The endless drinking oneself into oblivion as a result of your self-loathing. But maybe, maybe, maybe... someday, with a revolutionary act like erasing his entire memory, he can start over and build something new.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 2, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Theres definitely a few times when the vocal narration hasnt remotely matched the associated text.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

those are glitches. the game is glitchy as gently caress with voice poo poo right now.

Everyone has been pretty unanimous that this is the ONLY behaviour and that narration on lines with spoken dialogue is simple not, ever, voiced

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I dont know why people act like moralism is such a hard ideology to get in this game. It doesnt even matter what you choose, so long as you wear the right clothes you're a Moralist!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Still don't get it. The game explains numerous times how Revachol was unfairly and cruelly hosed. Yet the thought to stand for Revachol, and Revacholiere, the soul of it - is hatered of women and gays which I am just not seeing the connection.

I think I'll try fascist playthrough will PSY cop, maybe I'll get it.

Because just like real life ideology the hatred comes first and then the ideology is created to justify it. This is especially true for Harry compared to everyone else in the game because everything in his life is secondary in importance to the breakup he never got over, the woman who made him happy and then tore out his heart, the unescapable memories of a rose tinted youth and the self destructive coping behaviours that have arisen from it. Like almost everything else going on in his head, Harry is using politics to escape from or reframe his past.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Edit eh nevermind

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 3, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

christmas boots posted:

The furies can have little a truce

As a treat?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Doing blue/yellow for my first run really did make me feel like a super capable detective. A regular Dick Mullen. Nothing got by me - I was too fast, I would catch it. And then analyze perfectly where it must have come from.

My purple/red playthrough, based purely on instinct and intuition was definitely a lot different.

I am still amazed at how much fun they both were though. How much fun EVERY combination is, really.

I start my streamed audience-lead playthrough tonight, too! Finally will play the new final cut. I am so excited.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

Maybe it sticks in the craw particularly for visual calculus because it's an unusual kind of skill that only gets a few but big and fancy places to shine. Locking you out of at least two of the what, maybe 10 tops? flashy uses for it in the game feels a little harsh. I don't feel that strongly about it but it is a little odd of a case

There seems to be at least one major synergy between each two colors (often more than one). Perception and Visual Calculus are a pretty obvious one, and I imagine that's a big reason why the game goes out of its way to make it possible to boost one or two non-prime skills. Honestly, I really like that the skills work together like that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

What does everyone think is the worst skill? Not in terms of uselessness but in terms of leading you to the worst possible outcomes. I think Authority ..... has it by a country mile.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

1/1/1/1 Moralist/Ultraliberal. Can't waste those points by spending them, gotta make sure they keep their value by leaving them in the box. Then don't spend any points during the game because change is scary.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah there's no reason you can't be a ultraliberal communist. In terms of Revachol history, its worth noting the ultraliberal/communist alliance is a big reason why the revolution succeeded (even if the majority of ultraliberals bailed in the face of the later invasion)

Communism has plenty of room for hustlers and ambitious climbers who do the real work of profiting off the system in terms of power, accolades, money, and social connections. And someone's gotta keep the funds flowing and sell people on the idea (literally) if communism is ever gonna get built! And Revolution means a chance for you to end up on top because it takes out all your competitors...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The mechanical penalty is pretty much explicitly about pushing you towards being a cryptofascist, yeah. Like Gary. From a personal perspective, fascist Harry has pushed down everything he can until it's gotten all twisted up into irrational hate, and putting on a fake face for the world is part of what keeps that hate going. If he could talk about it openly, someone might actually talk him out of it, or sympathize, or... something. All of the options are bad. So instead, he punishes himself mentally for letting the mask slip (which he will do, occassionally), and then develops unhealthy coping strategies for dealing with those self-inflicted wounds. I may be remembering wrong, though - it is only for saying fascist things, right? Or is it for even thinking them?

Jack Trades posted:

Is it possible to "solve" the Tribunal without any civilian causalities? I've only done it twice but I really don't know how you could possibly do that.

Minimum deaths: 4. Minimum Union deaths: 3.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Is it possible to not see ex-something in your dream at the end of the game?
I've tried my best to avoid interacting with anything related to Dolores Dei but I still got the dream.

Absolutely. You get a good, peaceful night of sleep with good dreams, and the game says it's incredible you managed to "dodge it all" and finally get some nourishing sleep. Your mind is "healing" and "weaving itself back into shape". It's pretty nice.

DoctorTristan posted:

Sort of but not really - the only way to avoid it is not to sleep on the island so you don’t get the dream at all

Nope, incorrect.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 6, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not an ending I would want personally

A “healing” that is contingent on avoiding ten thousand environmental factors that tangentially remind you of your trauma is not healing at all. It’s simply delaying the inevitable reckoning.

Eh, everything I avoided was stuff I was either clearly warned of by my intuition as a sending me down a bad road, or clearly playing into Harry's delusionally holding onto his past. Apparently the dream is something you have basically every night and have had for years, and it is at least in part the dream you nearly killed yourself to get away from. However tenuous it might be, every night he fails to return there is a night he can work on working towards building a future that isn't based around its constant presence.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

I've savescummed twice so far in my first playthrough, and I have no regrets: first was to make the jump to get my coat and get into the harbor, because I wanted that coat and I thought I didn't have enough time left to wait and steal an ID, and second was when listening to the headphones in the church, because it wouldn't let me progress the quest dialogue any further without it.

Aren't these both white checks? Savescumming to complete checks you can try a dozen times is kinda weird, but also doesn't really matter because white checks don't have any fun failure states, it basically just puts things off for a while (unless your stats are so bad on thay front you will in fact fail a dozen times in a row, I guess)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I am not sure what you mean. You just need to do any of the many things you can do to reset and reopen the check. It gates content but you def don't need to savescum or cheat to go back and try again, just decide whether or not its worth putting points into at some point to get it done

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The game has a lot of potential replayability, except I'm the type of person who just can't purposefully be mean to the video game characters, such pangs of regret and guilt from stealing or being a jerk.

Clearly you need to run a high authority run where you can insist that everyone respect said authority.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Meanwhile, Evrarte is despicable. He's a drug dealing, conniving, manipulative sonofa bitch. But in order to accumulate power, he must strengthen the union. And in doing so, he acts to further the wellbeing of it's members.

Most of the time anyway. For now. But he's also actively building an organization where that's not always going to be true, and things have already not worked out well at all for the other members that wanted to build a different sort of union (what with him having everyone who contested his leadership murdered and all). Once Wild Pines is gone, its no longer the Union vs the Bosses, where Edgar wins by fighting for the workers. Once Wild Pines is gone, he IS the boss, not the guy trying to fight against the boss. I expect things are going to change rather quickly.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

sean10mm posted:

The Ultraliberals are free market fundamentalists, not leftists of any kind.

This isn't really true, they wouldn't have sided with the commies against the monarchy if that was the case, surely. But they did.

Ultraliberals are basically pure opportunistic ambition.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If you go for RFA the game implies Harry really, genuinely is a feminist, or at least was. Its just... yeah, dude is hosed up, so much like any other ideology he espouses it gets hosed up in turn, so it ends up being fairly indistinguishable from someone pretending to be a feminist because Harry is hosed up.

Also your thoughts argue about stuff and you dont have to say or agree with everything they suggest. Harry will think all sorts of weird, dumb, or lovely things, and your Harry can discard those thoughts as inappropriate despite your Authority skill insisting you have no choice to make this poor distraught woman cry until she wants to kill herself because she dared disrespect your Authority by turning you down for a date (it doesn't mention the reason though)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 9, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think some of the new voices are definitely steps down, but it is nice to hear voices that sound like they were properly recorded.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Those things appear, those events occur, because of what you did. And it also makes you think about what you're not seeing because of your choice.

And it's not just stats. There are SO many small, seemingly inconsequential things that end up becoming throughlines that tie everything together. Running jokes, callbacks,, metaphors, references. Picking some silly option because it sounds good in the first ten minutes of the game has an actual impact on conversations you'll be having 20 hours later! It's unbelievably cool, and it really makes it feel like even the low stakes choices genuinely matter.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a comprehensive list of the possible names you can have? Obviously there's the big three - Harrier, Costeau, and Sunset. But can't you roll with "The Officer" as well? I'm not sure if there's other less common ones available.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

NewMars posted:

One of the things about Evrart discussion from a couple pages back I've noticed is: a lot of people seem to have missed the conclusion to his story, where it becomes clear that he didn't actually want a war and that was posturing made to intimidate wild pines into giving up without a fight. Even the drug trade stuff is more complicated than it seems, because he deliberately played it up so that you would share it and the trade itself he's running seems to be aimed at undercutting an existing and horribly murderous network in greater revachol. Which is part of why Ruby thinks you've been sent by the drug kingpin in Jamrock.

I... don't think anyone missed any of this?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

Ha, I managed to get a "game over" by contacting the airship and getting extracted by the committee

Give me details

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Is this all new stuff? I don't recall any context where this sequence if events makes sense, but maybe its new stuff! Either way its got me excited to play more

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ideally a fix for the above soft lock

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There's not really any wrong choices, its all about what you want. The biggest thing seems to be "<4 or 4+" as the cutoffs for a few things, especially early on.

A good idea is to put your signature skill in something that isn't that high though, so its easier to boost up that skill family later if you want. That's the only piece of advice I'd offer, don't use it to double down on your highest skill families because it won't do anything, you're already unlikely to max them out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think 4/3/1/4 is a better "hyper competent detective" build overall but I guess it's not THAT different. Just nice to have those extra points in and higher cap for empathy, authority, and esprit de corps.

And then you can use your signature skill to determine whether or not you talk to inanimate objects!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Inland Empire represents your intuition and the feeling you get when you should/shouldn't do something without really understanding why.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Frida Call Me posted:

weird, it didn't get taken down, it's just truncating part of the clip url. try the direct url https://clips.twitch.tv/EnticingStrangePenguinFailFish-IW0xts5m_jdWfpjv

Oh my god, the tutorial agent bit here is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The main problem being that she represented a massive change to the status quo in multiple ways. Her arrival heralded the beginning of a new age.