Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably late to the party on this one, but I get the strong feeling that at the start of the Superstar thought, where you catch a glimpse of a bright light for a moment, it's the gleam off the barrel of the Deserter's rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Morrell seems like an ageing Steve Irwin impression, almost, which I suppose isn't unfitting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reaction Speed is underrated given its own thing is actually conversational, picking up on brief mentions of things and coming up with comebacks.

Tylana posted:

The game is pretty explicit (at least if you have enough Electrochem) that ENDGAMESPOILER. The Phasmid releases pyscho-active chemicals that make it hard to notice it. Something like pheromones. The deserter is basically long term overdosing on these which is offered as a partial explanation for things like why he is still so horny at his age. The Phasmid eats grasses, IIRC. The thing that eats thoughts is The Pale, which only exists because of humans. Or at least that's what I recall.

Yeah, what's going on in this case isn't actually psychic, and it definitely ties into the heavy themes of drugs and altered states throughout the game. The Phasmid's pheromones cause humans to forget they ever saw it over long-term exposure, hence why it's a cryptid and its sightings are always one-offs, usually from children or teenagers, and the Deserter is incapable of acknowledging it. And when it leaves, he basically crashes/goes into withdrawal. Otherwise, it's not psychic; Harry's communion with it seems to be special.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Talk to the lady on the boat, there's some important stuff it's easy to miss with the reality low-down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Revachol really does seem to be a lot like Ankh-Morpork, the more you look at it. And the setting even has centuries being given names rather than numbers. (though retroactively rather than seemingly arbitrarily) Hell, the protagonist certainly has a touch of Vimes to him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FishMcCool posted:

Physical Instrument is just awesome, somewhere between your secondary school sports teacher, the local gym owner with his side business of protein supplements, and a judgemental macho subconscious.

This is actually rather fitting given it turns out the protagonist used to be a gym teacher. It's hinted at a fair bit during the game and when stated directly Kim says it explains a lot of things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

christmas boots posted:

Do you actually have to internalize the thought for that? For some of them unlocking them seems to be enough

Probably depends on the thought. Some will be different depending on whether you've just internalised them or completed them, apparently. Advanced Race Theory does about what you'd expect.

Random note: Found it funny that Kim is so concerned about Harry (re)learning about the Pale due to him possibly losing his poo poo further over existential dread, but joke's on him because the protagonist is basically Monty Burns Syndrome with existential dread as it is. Especially if you've been raving about the apocalypse since you woke up.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 29, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Early on in particular there's characters you can ask for money from, with quite varying results, but there's also collecting loose change (Tab is your friend) and tare (recyclable bottles) that you can exchange at the machine in the shop, though you need to find a bag first. There's also some Thoughts that will increase the money you can get from either.

It's not something to be worried about too much though, you kinda have to go out of your way to fail to get enough money to survive your first couple days.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tylana posted:

Your boat was too small and he's a frail old man who had just gone catatonic, with a ammo-less gun you took off him. So you went to call for backup and help. Specifics might be argued in circles, but drama and cartharsis also push for a certain kind of situation.

Yeah, it could be summed up well as he's not going anywhere, and can't hurt anyone anymore.

I can never bring myself to get rid of The Expression just because Annette likes it. There's worse things to have your face stuck like.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also on a read up of Kirby lore I feel like the detective would fit into Smash Bros enough at least in that he'd definitely get along with Kirby and take the lore revelations of the series in stride.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Roctavian posted:

I’d imagine it’s the same reason that you don’t get an achievement for knifing a reaper to death in Subnautica — it helps you move forward with your life, but it isn’t engaging with the main themes of the game.

I'm reminded of a friend whose first run in Subnautica was spending an hour or two knifing a Stalker to death, and then he asked what he can do with the body, and I told him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I need to figure out how you get the finger-guns thought, I got it on my first playthrough but not sure how.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vagabong posted:

Whatever happened to the hanged man's trousers anyway?

Might be easy to miss, but when you investigate the trash container Kim picks up and bags a shirt and pants- he specifically mentions the belt loops- that presumably belong to the hanged man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zil posted:

So a Cuno gestalt?

gently caress DOES CUNOCEPTUALISATION CARE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Xander77 posted:

Huh. That's weird. I just watched his Resident Evil Village content (realized he exists due to DE, yeah) and found is immensely competent compared to generic streamer fair. Like... there's a giant fish, and he doesn't pretend to be afraid of it, and just briskly skirts around it during the bits where it's obviously meant to threaten you but not actually attack unless you fall in the water. Which seemed to show more medium awareness than 99% of people who play videogames for a living.

Eh, sounds like that game is just more in his comfort zone than DE is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Flayer posted:

I would have loved a pissfaggot jacket but then again I wouldn't have been able to wear it anyway. gently caress the world is a bit too generic.

What if the f word is blurred on the jacket

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hobocop doesn't mean you have to literally sleep in the dumpster.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lucking out on pointless checks is fun, like succeeding on 8% to lift the weights in the abandoned gym.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure a big implication with Cuno is that he's closest to what the protagonist was like as a kid, hence why they can potentially get along so well.

People have been saying that Kim isn't as intolerance of silliness as he may come off as, and if anything seems alright partnered with someone who isn't afraid to be a bit silly and have fun. I rather get the vibe that the implication is he really isn't happy at his own precinct where he's professional but gets little to no respect, probably because of his race and his disability, having spent a decade undercover as a juvie and all. See how in the end, if you're on good terms with him, Kim is genuinely happy at the prospect of transferring to Harry's precinct.

And for a lot of people complaining about the ending and the culprit: kind of a big deal is that the murder investigation is such a circuitous clusterfuck specifically because the murder came out from left field; while the victim was surrounded by obvious suspects, to the point where the Hardie Boys are happy to take the credit for it, from their perspective they suddenly had an extremely troublesome corpse in their midst and had to make up a narrative that made sense of it. Covering it up was the far better option to admitting they genuinely don't know who did it, and fully expect the authorities to take the obvious at face value- not the one cop determined and weird enough to keep grinding away at the case until the truth fell out because all other options had been exhausted.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Getting the Thought from Measurehead does requite passing a Rhetoric check iirc, though not a difficult one. And it doesn't actually make you racist. At least not more than you choose to be. It's also one of the only early ways to get another more significant Thought.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think I missed it, but apparently the final dream with Dolores has a unique line of dialogue depending on what your Signature Skill is?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Half-Light is basically action hero movie cop and exactly as hosed up as that actually is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Comes up every now and again with how the show lends itself to it.

Ooh, someone should do an Espirit De Corps one with 'Pick up Bart'

MEASURED_HEAD is definitely doing a bit, but apparently some Indian politics can get that fringe. (Probably comes down to how from their perspective, Hitler loving with the British was a good thing for them)

Flayer posted:

Encyclopedia is the best. I remember triggering some history quiz and Encyclopedia is like "this is the poo poo I was made for" before proceeding to give completely useless information and failing to help answer any of the questions.

I remember that one. Interesting thing is that it kinda makes sense; the book you're reading contains a lot of what's new information to you (or heavily repressed) so Encyclopedia is coming up with information that's perhaps loosely related from that prompt, but doesn't actually have the answers to the questions. Like when you're reading a nonfiction book on a topic you're loosely familiar with; there'll be concepts, places and people you might recognise, but not necessarily in the same context as presented.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EorayMel posted:

What's the "superior" way of doing a 1/1/1/1 botchcop run? Trying to get the thoughts that increase learning caps for important stuff? Or the type that does not level up anything whatsoever or try to metagame out of being such a fuckup? I mostly wanna see how much time a failcop gets in a day due to less time getting eaten by succeeding a whole bunch of passive checks, plus how many weird/funny passive check failures there are for stuff.

Like this:

Behold! A man!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phobophilia posted:

On the note of Dolores Dei, her characterization put me through some low grade terror: here was a divine entity who descended upon civilization, "uplifted" it by maximizing our utility to an optimal amount of wheat and pigs and just enough social welfare, without ever liberating us from our shackles. Stuff we would have come up with ourselves, eventually.

Between that and the Suzerainty game, the implication is she's pretty much a character like a Civilization player, taking control of a society, reshaping it to her likely, and launching wars of expansion and enforced cultural control, with her actions treated as unquestionable and inevitable. And her repeated doomed expeditions into the Pale to find the isola almost seems like meta-knowledge from the perspective of someone from within the game.

There's actually a few bits where the protagonist suspects he might be a character in a game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nurmie posted:

While the "Dolores Dei is actually an avatar of an RTS player" is a clever idea and I like it, I'm not really into the whole "game meta-comments on itself being a game" thing, to be completely honest

I mean, DE obviously has a lot to say about great many things - including the theory of history as a sequence of Great Men dragging the rest of us unwashed peasants along for the ride; Innocences being something like the logical conclusion of this line of thought. There's also the themes of destiny and fate and predeterminism that kind of intertwine and permeate throughout the narrative.

However, I don't think that looking for strands of this sort-of post-modernist, self-aware, ironic self-reading does these themes (and Disco Elysium in general) justice - while it does throw some meta-commentary in (the Doomed Commercial Area and dialogue lists and all that), the vast majority of the narrative is well-grounded and emotionally-sincere and works on its own terms, so to speak. I don't feel it needs the extra scaffolding of the game being aware that it's a game and the characters being somewhat aware of it too. I'd even go as far as to say this reading is a tad reductive. Personal opinion and all that, of course. Kojima did not write this game for god's sake

:goonsay:

It's more that Great Man Theory of history is pretty much exactly what games like Civilization run on, so where one ends and the other begins is a fuzzy thing. (and I may greatly undermine my argument by mentioning the Speedball Let's Play of Civilization V: Peace Walker was what gave me the idea there. Great Man History is also an element in that franchise, and an examined one) The tabletop roleplay elements also dovetail with a fair amount of themes in the game, and especially its similarities to Planescape: Torment- a game that also features an amnesiac protagonist who spends the game figuring out his past to varying degrees and grappling with the people representing who he once was at various points in his history. (Goes well with my theory that the different political alignments you can choose are because the protagonist has been all of those at one point in his past)

FrickenMoron posted:

Obessively exhausting all dialogue options will absolutely lead you to say dumb and assholeish things you probably didn't intend so its not always the best idea.

Yeah, it's said a lot, but DE requires a shift in perspective, because it's pretty much built to gently caress with typical adventure game/RPG conventions that players expect. Many of your options have consequences, and you can choose to say or not to say them- and those choices matter. A lot of the fun in the game is letting the dice fall as they may, and playing out the consequences of your choices.

Vagabong posted:

Part of internalising a thought means thinking about a concept really hard for a while, but the description you get at the end isn't always one that subscribes to the truth of the concept. For example, the solution text for Advanced Race Theory just suggests that you've solved the "great Race Mystery" but then let's you choose what HDB thinks the answer is in the following conversation with Measurehead.

Of course, even if you still disagree with him its still embarrassing to have internalised the thought, because you just spent a lot of time seriously thinking about a patently racist and stupid idea.

And a few characters do comment on becoming his 'race pupil', though not anything major as far as I've seen. (otherwise, it's not a bad thought to internalise given the skill bonus it gives you, compared to the upsides and downsides of other Thoughts, and it's one of the two ways to unlock another very significant one) Thoughts don't often outright restrict your options; you can take every single political Thought at once, for example. (and there's ending dialogue specific to if you somehow have near-equal amounts of communist, fascist, centrist and capitalist beliefs)

There's actually a few Thoughts that are basically troll/comedy options. There's a reason you're able to remove them and internalise a new one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Major Isoor posted:

I particularly like "the hunter becomes the hunter". Thread title material, really :D

I'm pretty sure that was a Homer Simpson quote.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The way DE treats technology makes more sense if you remember more the 90s, 80s and earlier; cameras, computers, televisions and radios all exist but they are all seperate technologies that run on different principles, compared to everything being digital now. And Revachol being formerly advanced and now very poor and industrially behind means technology is going to be very all over the place depending on what people can afford, and even similar technologies might not necessarily be compatible. They have radio as one of the most popular mediums while television and video also exists probably because a lot more people can afford radios than televisions. Also remember it's based on post-Soviet Eastern Europe, where technology is similarly all over the place because of poverty and industrial bases.

Kim's crime scene camera is notable because it's basically a compact, portable Polaroid type that can instantly produce high-quality colour photographs- something very useful specifically for crime scenes when you need a picture right away. It's something that'd be high-tech and impressive even today.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If you get into the harbour after the boss has gone to bed, there's a pass card sitting out in the office that you can use to get out and in again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like that you can absolutely be a crooked cop, and kinda have to be to get anywhere, but people dismiss Harry being on the take from the local crime lord on practical grounds; even at his fascist worst he's simply too much of a hot mess to consider a reliable henchman, and on top of that he actually cares about doing his job (at the expense of pretty much all else) which is not a trait you want in your killer cop.

Actually, makes a lot of sense that most of the characters are genuinely surprised that the protagonist is actually doing his job. (mostly because, well, he wasn't for quite a while)

Epic High Five posted:

I had a nice warning about where Harry's brain goes with these red checks early on with the pinball machine. I figured hey that's a good question, Kim seems to know a lot about these things maybe hes a hobbyist and then I failed and got to learn a bit about racial stereotypes in Revachol

It might make sense with the implication that Kim's ethnicity is a loose equivalent to Japanese.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Speaking of excessively Japanese, just starting Yakuza 0 and I get weirdly DE vibes about the old Westerner very early in the game who tells you to 'invest in yourself'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's specifically dialogue in the end for being an ultraliberal, moralist, fascist and communist all at the same time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nurmie posted:

i mean, i've met actual people who could be described like that. it's like some kind of radical anti-centrism. it kind of owns actually (provided you don't have to deal with these people too often)

Political polls have always been fun because depending on how you phrase a question, a lot of people's views are genuinely all over the map, especially if you get into what amounts to 'socialism but don't call it socialism'. People are taught about politics in incredibly shallow, vague and loaded ways, on purpose.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pattonesque posted:

Your former partner Jean also has a halo, although it's a square one

There's apparently artistic precedent for this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Party Boat posted:

Half Light is very similar to Cuno in both appearance and attitude

And Authority has a resemblance to Titus, iirc. There's a few of those, though I'm not sure on any others besides those two.

Measurehead does seem a lot like what happens when you go too far into Rhetoric.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I found some surprising thematic commonalities between Deltarune and Disco Elysium, including how they play with video game narrative conventions and the agency of the player character vs the player, but also that they both feature dudes who are spectacularly The Most Divorced.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Save the save scumming for a second playthrough to avoid repeating content, or genuine mistakes like not realising you can use healing items at any time. The game is much more interesting to play letting the chips fall as they may, and your failures can open new doors as your successes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It really is funny how Cuno just breaks the brains of a certain kind of person and they refuse to engage or demand a cheat code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Health and morale damage are often excellent punchlines. See also how you can die from a heart attack in the first ten seconds of the game.