Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

Gonna force myself to try this again. 5/3/2/2, with Logic as my signature.

Question, is getting thru the game without drugs/alcohol use a reasonable ask?

I didn't use drugs or booze at all the time I played (the game comments on this a few times)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
cunoesse used a slur so its only proper to own her, by crying

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Evrart is right wing because he is fat.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is Joyce actually a billionaire? I had assumed she was like a very comfortable multimillionaire.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Heard DE described as "apolitical" because it makes jokes about both the left and right. Folks, you hate to see it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
he was ostensibly faux-roleplaying as Yusuke from Persona 5 but he dropped it pretty quickly and only went back to that well when he either remembered or cared. possibly pressure from chat to exhaust as much of the content as possible, a lot of people were backseating and telling him to talk to certain NPCs at specific times and what to say to advance questlines.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In a game that lets you ruin your life in creative and exciting ways, letting the player shave is going way too far

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well harry hates women so there you go

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sebzilla posted:

This system existed as a tabletop thing before DE was made, right? Makes me wonder how the skills work for people who aren't cops. Esprit de Corps in particular feels very cop-specific, although I suppose all sorts of people have various groups that they're part of. It's definitely possible to see which characters run particularly high or low in certain skills.

Also, if some of the side characters (the iconic duo of Torson and McClaine maybe) were the developers' characters. Maybe some of the referenced cases too.

Iirc it wasn't a unique tabletop system, it was just the setting they used for their DnD campaign

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Jean...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Joyce is Disco, and if that's good enough for Harry it's good enough for anyone

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the funniest moment in my game was me figuring it out a split second before Harry did and going "oh nooooooooo"

It's cool how, prior to finding the car, you have multiple opportunities to visual calculus the car and going full Sherlock Math Wizard, only for the question of the driver to remain a very funny mystery

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Harry is either far too racist to buy a katana, or would consider it cultural appropriation to buy a katana

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Until the necktie plays Suzerainty with me it isn't really my friend

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Harry has always been straightedge and is just being gaslit my everyone (including his inner monologues)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sora is inland empire

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
until that post I didn't even realize ZA/UM was like, owned by anyone who could fire other people. I had assumed it was a collective like Future Club

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

what did this person even like about it if not the main writing focus and the art. DE's gameplay isn't exactly gripping

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im glad

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

UnknownMercenary posted:

A surprising amount of "leftists" believe the same thing the detective says when you fail that check.

What is it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Im canceling evrart

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

YggiDee posted:

It's possible to sleep on the island and not get The Final Dream, I think you have to dodge all references to Dolores Dei, and possibly any references to The Ex as well.

I'm pretty sure this is what happened to me

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You're free to like or dislike what you want of course, but calling it forced politics feels like chiding Pokemon for "forced battles" or Outer Wilds for "forced puzzles" - the politics are a central part of the game, they aren't tacked on as a joke or a bonus.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Detect or Die, motherfucker. Why didn't you detect?

Every character obsessively discusses politics. Well, not the Fritte saleswoman. But everyone else.

*frittte

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Phenotype posted:

It checks out though. Japan has no tolerance for old men over anime fuckbois. I always remember the first Nier game, which actually replaced the protagonist for the Japanese release because the devs thought Japanese audiences wouldn't want to play a game starring a middle-aged dad, so they made him into a sexy older brother instead.

final fantasy xiv is one of the most popular RPGs in japan and is full of sad dads and other sexy salt and pepper hunks

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

It's kind of funny that Trent doesn't get even a fraction of the hate leveled at the Sunday Friend.

LOGIC [Medium: Failure]: It's because of Homophobia.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Kim was your emotional support detective

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brandon Proust posted:

I didn’t pursue the wife content because my good friend inland empire told me to stay away from it

This.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

No Dignity posted:

Thinking about the intertextuality between Undertale telling you off for doing the genocide ending just to see all the content and players re-ruining Harry's life by making him lean into being the most most divorced guy

Undertale doesn't really tell you off, it feels very clear to me that Toby Fox wants players to do as much or as little of the game as possible. If he wanted to actually punish or berate you for it he wouldn't have put badass songs and fights there. The CHARACTERS certainly hate you for it but the game doesn't.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the dicemaker's studio gives me insane anxiety for basically the exact reason you like it. i just can't fathom how she exists logistically or economically, so i just try to avoid her whenever possible.

i really like the dock area where joyce and cindy chill out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bedshaped posted:

Going to start a new game and cheat 6/6/6/6 instead of going 4/4/2/2 and selecting shivers as my special skill.

Any reason I wouldn't do this? It seems like the best idea for a 2nd playthrough to pick up on all the clues and tidbits I missed out on the first time and not lock myself out of any aspects of the narrative.

I haven't done it myself but I've seen people say it can be a bit overbearing since every skill is constantly talking to you - there's a lot of skill dialogue you never see because the passive checks fail, meaning if you're succeeding on all of those you're going to have a ton of words thrown at you in every conversation. That's not necessarily bad but I could see how it'd make some of the otherwise snappier parts of the game drag.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
to be honest at no point while playing DE did i feel that Harry was a reflection of one of the lead writer's actual behaviors

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think i was talking too broadly and took the above comment as expecting him to be an rear end in a top hat which probably wasn't the intent, sorry. what i mean is that i've read a ton of fiction with rear end in a top hat characters that aren't written by people who come across as assholes in the interviews and media i've seen them in, so i wouldn't have expected the people who wrote DE to buck that trend. especially in the context of it being a game which obviously is written with a message of (fractured) hope.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that clam game looks fun

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

An admin has twice now quoted the mod saying to cut the AI talk, even I'm not dumb enough to keep going with it.

Suggested topic change: Your hottest Disco Elysium take.

Joyce is hot

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

virinvictus posted:

what's a good recommended first time build? too much freedom for stat picking stresses me out

there isn't really one, though I'd say broadly if you want to play as a pretty straight detective start with 5 Intellect and then either Logic or Encyclopedia as your signature stats. starting with at least 2 morale and physique is good because it gives you a bit of a health buffer while you're learning the systems.

i do agree with the advice from earlier that the game is generally best experienced as a specialized character rather than a generalist, regardless of what that specialization is.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
had a dream last night that i was playing a disco elysium sequel that took place in an underwater city that you navigated around via the tubes from futurama. hopefully the original team can get on this ASAP.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
remember the tv show lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i know we all had a good chortle at the dude who posted their novella about the best way to spoil DE for a new player, but a friend of mine who has no more video game experience the last 20 years than random phone games and zero PC experience got gifted a copy for her birthday and wants to try it out. does anyone have any recommendations for like, the most barebones useful tips? strictly stuff like shortcut keys or UI things that would have been useful to know, like "you can press B to open your inventory" or whatever. i dont remember the game having particularly good tutorialization for that sort of thing but maybe I'm not remembering, it's been like 2 years since I've played.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
assassinated by the moralintern no doubt