Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I honestly thought that was someone moralinternposting ironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Xander77 posted:

Yes.

Edit - pretty bad way to start a page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz1DyvefCt8

I didn’t let Kim get shot before Final Cut, but in my latest playthrough where he did, Cuno only walks around with the detective within the Whirling-In-Rags, leaving the party at the door to meet up with the detective on the island later. He does chime in on conversations with Garte and the Hardies, but I wish I could take him to meet the ravers/Soona/Idiot Doom Spiral :smith:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

church and a lot of my other can’t-misses have already been touched on but the conversation with La Revacholiere after losing yourself to the ecstasy of anodic dance hits hard as well. I got it on my second playthrough as ultraliberal apocalypse cop

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I wish I could smoke with Kim every night.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

sometimes I’ll be having a relatively normal day and then I think of the goon who wrote a 2500+ word primer on how to play disco elysium for his I think sister-in-law that he had to browbeat into trying the game in the first place. I haven’t even read past the first sentence of the aforementioned post but it intrudes upon my consciousness nevertheless

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

clicked in hoping kurvitz had risen from his vana tallinn bender and published a scathing polemic/post-mortem that alludes to a future for fictions written within the world of disco elysium, got a whose worse joyce or evrart argument instead

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

hoping for double sixes through this entire ordeal for our troubled creatives

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

can we debate whose more evil between megarich light-bending guy and sunday friend

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I missed it my first time through as well, I assumed the cot was just a convenient way to restore bars before a “boss fight”. a full-health well-stocked superstar cop wouldn’t stop to nap when the culprit’s right outside; juliaroberts-bigmistake.gif

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

speaking of karaoke I really like how failing the check has harry try to match the range of sea power’s vocalist and not quite get there, and succeeding has him perform the song in a sombre, cohenesque fashion which kills

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

montreal is arguably the best city in canada :canada:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

no because a DE anime sounds positively kompusbrained

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

harry’s previous bouts of self-annihilation didn’t resolve with him having a life-affirming conversation with the insulindian phasmid

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

while you were saying one of these fascist or communist things, I studied the stick

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m kim irl.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

if you’re in the business of really impressing kim interfacing is a solid pick

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the atelier restocked but given that its debut (and announcement of the amazon deal) aligned with the timeframe of kurvitz, rostov, and hindpere’s ouster from za/um, my suspicion that opening an atelier was the money men’s idea in the first place means I will not be copping

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

took a bit of inspiration for my latest tattoo

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I don’t clock the money pun, can you elaborate? to me the etymology of her name was always dolores dei as latin for sorrows of god, but also the blonde american singer and actress doris day, of “pillow talk”, “my dreams are getting better all the time”, and “que sera, sera (whatever will be, will be)” renown

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

quote:

In November 2022, a lawsuit filing alleged that Kompus spent €4.8 million ($5.1 million) in company funds to obtain a majority share of the studio.

Following Kender's suit withdrawal against Tütreke, the ZA/UM's majority shareholder, Kompus and Tütreke paid €4.8 million ($5.1 million) back to ZA/UM.

fisco malfeasium

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

dead gay comedy forums posted:

watch false za/um add romance plots because sales and entirely miss the point the authors went for

this but outsourced to fans

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

with the caveat that I haven’t yet replayed to get that scene (as well as the speedfreaks call-in) I think that’s entirely within character. kim has sub-par hand-eye coordination due to his poor vision, which he compensates for with diligent practice and building muscle memory, and even still his former partner acted as his eyes enough to earn it as his nickname. the adroitly-specced detective probably earned an ace’s low earlier in the week by bullseyeing lely loose, a feat that would undoubtedly imprint his hand-eye acumen upon kim

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Gaius Marius posted:

They honestly should've found some contrived way for Harry to have a heart attack and pass out or get bonked and lose consciousness. Having Kim tell you to take a nap when you're ten feet away from a serial killer strains credulity to the breaking point right before the finish line.

the least contrived time for the dream to happen was immediately post-tribunal as harry is in compulsory convalescence but I get wanting to split up the big beats of the endgame a little

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

it plays extremely well, except for the parts where it’s probably going to softlock

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

conversely I really like how esoteric and difficult to access scenes like the speedfreaks call are, it adds a sense of wonder that makes the game world seem a lot larger and fleshed-out than it actually is. it reminds me of the myriad obscure resolutions to sidequests in planescape: torment, like getting stale mary to rip off her own head out of altruism so that you can trade it for your sidekick to the skull collector

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

planescape was one of my favourite games as a kid and disco is one of my favourite games as an adult, the scope blows DE out of the water and the quests are extraordinarily well-written.
as mentioned, you are cheating yourself if you’re not playing high int/wis/cha, and every locale that’s not sigil is a little half-baked, but it was the first game to teach me that the medium is capable of deep, compelling, and philosophical narratives

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

none of the planescape companions are as endearing and multifaceted as kim is, they’ve all got more going on than first appearances suggest but I find it hard to imagine any of them having rich inner lives. dak’kon is the most kimlike in both depth and demeanour but he’s a stoic warrior-monk archetype, except the player character invented his whole religion several incarnations ago.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I do really like all of the companions having been molded into what they are by the nameless one in one way or another, except fall-from-grace who mostly tags along because you’re the great wheel’s version of chris pontius

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

planescape makes up for being somewhat shallow in comparison to DE in voluminousness. I think almost every NPC encounter is interesting in some way, subverting your initial impressions of a character and their motivations to varying extent. this includes the plot-critical obstacle characters like pharod, lothar, fhjull, ravel et al, but there’s a couple dozen alltimer NPCs in the sidequests, not including various incarnations of the nameless one and the guy the nameless one speaks into existence by lying about his name enough times. DE’s characters are deeper but there’s a lot of characters in PT and they’re all neat

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

it would have been really time-consuming to write and maintaining one would run contrary to how many people play the detective but I would have read the poo poo out of an in-game compendium/journal in DE

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

saying that the pale is fluff betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of the game’s themes and cosmology. the premise of your paragraphs stinks worse than the bronze sphere

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

not paying attention during the church quest, huh

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

anime antagonist voice doesn’t cogent opinions form

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

there is a combat system. you roll dice to fight measurehead, the krenels, and noid (projectile weapon). I can assure you I understand everything contained within the game.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

ps:t lets the player character commit suicide to prove a point like a dozen times. d:e lets you do it once. checkmate, aliveailures.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yes. just like mighty no. 9.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I failed the check to fully finish the church quest because I never got the crash course on the pale that joyce bestows and accordingly was under like a -10 modifier to conceptualize the tiny tear, and it inspired me to replay the game (and prioritize cosmological discussions with joyce) to see how that quest line ends. the dice are fickle on all sides; even the most certain result* has a 1/36 chance of going the other way. if you want to shape the narrative precisely to your tastes, savescumming is always an option

*some doors will remain forever closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

didn’t you say you played through the game 1.9 times? did you make the same decisions/run the same build the almost second time around?