Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
3333 or 4422 is fine dont listen to the weirdos, the game is written to be good from basically every angle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Nordick posted:

Ok so I have a question about Joyce:

Kim suggests trying to "throw her off" by being wacky and weird. Has anyone actually found a way to pull this off? Or are we just destined to "play right into her hands" no matter what? First playthrough I did the drug investigation thing, second time I just conceded to come back to her once I found my badge. Either case, Kim always remarked that the discussion isn't going the way he hoped. I wanna do things differently on different playthroughs, so I'd like to know if it's even possible to achieve this supposed "throwing off" of Joyce.

i think that and the failure to execute it is in part to illustrate just how insightful joyce really is

rideANDxORdie posted:

If I remember right, you can throw her off by asking for her boating registration or passport or something and actually insisting on it and getting her to show you her papers. I also think this let's you know her last name is different from what she tells you, cluing you in that she's more than just the negotiator. You kick off the chain by asking if it's her boat.

even then you dont really get her going like you do every other npc who acts like you are a complete freak

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i dont feel all that embarrassed

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

I'll admit I really miss Christman as Hardy...his faltering yet insistent defiance that wilted under more direct questioning but never veered from the core of looking out for the people important to himself and union was really well portrayed by his mix of being awkward and aggressive, something that doesn't really feel like it carries over into his more "in on it" redneck drawl

every other VA change has been neutral or an improvement imho, at lease that I've run into

yeah im not sure it was intentional or just a lucky side-effect of christmans VA but it really came across as a perfect fit for the role

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Vegetable posted:

No one should have to quit their job so their art feels more ~real~ to you. Come the gently caress on.

they dont have to quit their job but if they arent compelled to speak out at risk to their job or quit it then it seems less likely that they are capable of the nuance required to produce a piece of art thats thematically resonant with the original game

this is a really trivially easy concept to grasp its weird to see how many people didnt understand it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

if im gonna a totally non-gamer to play DE, is it worthwhile giving them a build that has a good chance of succeeding in the checks required to talk to the phasmid and if so, what would i want to tell them to invest in? (its been too long since ive played to remember exactly how that works)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Best Friends posted:

I didn’t think Felix was a great VA but I did really appreciate how literal mercenary using the language of empowerment to try to break a strike is basically a Felix character concept. Just needed a bit about self-care and maybe a “it’s not my job to educate you”

i think his voice fit well but of all the chapo guys i think matt did the best job of sounding like a guy trying really hard to be confident while covering up for being afraid. it mightve been unintentionally well done, but im sad to hear it was replaced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

imhotep posted:

If you like that one there’s like a million more even clever and funny ones, then they’ll throw in a really cheeky reference to a choice you made 15 hours ago and you’ll rly be poggin yr pants off then. I’ve been thinking about replaying it for what would probably be the fourth time I’ve replayed it in total, not counting starting new files and stopping or loading old saves to try stuff, and i feel like it’s been enough time since I played the final cut last year.

honestly i think the hardest i laughed at this game was "empathy success: it is clear that he would prefer if the body was not still in the tree"