Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Zurtilik posted:

I mean appeals are still a possibility right?

yeah they are but I don't think they'll be successful.

the judge was saying there's "potential" for an appeal because of what Maxine Waters said but there's "potential" appeals for a lot of reasons. I think him getting a lesser sentence is more likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
SHM you should have just lied and said you wrote in hillary that would have made your lib family even more mad plus you could have been indignant about being with her

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Lmao at spider getting owned while trying to flex

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

spacemang_spliff posted:

SHM you should have just lied and said you wrote in hillary that would have made your lib family even more mad plus you could have been indignant about being with her

I'd vote for a former cop before I'd vote for someone who was on Epstein's plane

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
God drat you are stupid

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
OP he did not walk free it seems you are incorrect

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

spacemang_spliff posted:

Probably less shameful to actually write in hillary since at least she actually got to the voting parts of multiple presidential primaries, and even won one. (By cheating, of course, cheat2win Eddie Guerrero 4eva).

Kamala lost all support that wasn't bugfuck nuts twitter weirdos and dropped out before Iowa, because she somehow sucks worse than Warren, Klobuchar, and Buttigieg.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

There's still a chance!

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/st...ingawful.com%2F

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
He said, while raping a child

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

Pontificating rear end posted:

OP he did not walk free it seems you are incorrect

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

not in the primary, god no.
so you turned in a ballot - with your name on it, for a real election - and it said you wanted Kamala Harris to be the President of the United States of America?

bruh moment.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Mods please probate everyone itt who predicted Chauvin would not be convicted of any charges.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Mods please probate everyone itt who predicted Chauvin would not be convicted of any charges.

for the high crime of being wrong

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

You all better cut it out or I'm gonna find Jeffery on discord and complain about d&d invading

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
wonder how soon we'll have a dead member of that jury

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Kamalahyphenvoter was right, it brings me no pleasure to report this

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1384678521478340609

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

paul_soccer12 posted:

God drat you are stupid

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Joan posted:

Owned, OP. No offense

Happy to be owned, it's nice to have a reason to adjust my base cynicism.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
chauvin did kinda get off because he wasn't convicted of first degree murder, which is what any non-cop would be convicted of immediately if they went to trial where the evidence features a video of them in broad daylight choking a handcuffed person for 9 minutes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TenementFunster posted:

chauvin did kinda get off because he wasn't convicted of first degree murder, which is what any non-cop would be convicted of immediately if they went to trial where the evidence features a video of them in broad daylight choking a handcuffed person for 9 minutes.

I thought murder 1 had to be premeditated?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zeroisanumber posted:

I thought murder 1 had to be premeditated?
chauvin "meditated" for 8 minutes and 46 seconds

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TenementFunster posted:

Idk, my law degree is from drunk-watching 90's-era episodes of Law & Order (because Lenny was the only good cop) but I think murder 2 is murder in comission of a felony so the charges feel appropriate.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

TenementFunster posted:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zeroisanumber posted:

Idk, my law degree is from drunk-watching 90's-era episodes of Law & Order (because Lenny was the only good cop) but I think murder 2 is murder in comission of a felony so the charges feel appropriate.
no. he did something intentionally that he knew or should have known would lead to the death of another human being, and persisted in doing that thing for 8 minutes and 46 seconds, over the protests of onlookers, as that person lost consciousness and died. premeditation doesn't require he woke up that morning and thought "i cant wait to kill George Floyd." that's murder in the first degree for any non-cop.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Zeroisanumber posted:

You're thinking of felony murder

E: Not a lawyer so I may have some of this wrong but generally second-degree murder is common law murder, and then first degree is the aggravated form. Aggravating factors would be things like: specific intent to kill, premeditation, deliberation things like that. And IIRC depending on what the specific laws are where you live the method of murder can count. Like, stabbing someone might not be an aggravating factor but poisoning someone might. Or if you were lying in wait for someone, that sort of thing.

christmas boots has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Apr 22, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TenementFunster posted:

premeditation doesn't require he woke up that morning and thought "i cant wait to kill George Floyd."

Isn't this exactly what premeditation requires

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

some plague rats posted:

Premeditation in the legal sense only requires the intent to kill before taking the act. Premeditation (for any normal non cop person) can be established in the literal blink of an eye. If you decide to kill someone and immediately thereafter point the gun and pull the trigger that is premeditation for legal purposes. In the real world you can’t prove that unless they confess, so any court is going to accept the fact that you did it intentionally as enough evidence to prove it was premeditated

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

some plague rats posted:

IIRC the length of time doesn't have to be very long to count. Minutes can be enough, I think.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Premeditation in the legal sense only requires the intent to kill before taking the act. Premeditation (for any normal non cop person) can be established in the literal blink of an eye. If you decide to kill someone and immediately thereafter point the gun and pull the trigger that is premeditation for legal purposes. In the real world you can’t prove that unless they confess, so any court is going to accept the fact that you did it intentionally as enough evidence to prove it was premeditated

Well no poo poo. What a weird definition of premeditation the courts are using

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

some plague rats posted:

no. he killed george floyd slowly and through deliberate, intentional action. chauvin had many, many minutes to contemplate what he was doing and the foreseeable consequences of what he was doing. he didn't shoot floyd in the "heat of the moment" or whatever bullshit.

christmas boots posted:

IIRC the length of time doesn't have to be very long to count. Minutes can be enough, I think.
seconds are enough. slowly asphyxiating someone is absolutely enough. he did a thing that a child could tell you can kill a person, and he did it for a long loving time.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TenementFunster posted:

no. he killed george floyd slowly and through deliberate, intentional action. chauvin had many, many minutes to contemplate what he was doing and the foreseeable consequences of what he was doing. he didn't shoot floyd in the "heat of the moment" or whatever bullshit.

Yeah I got corrected on this. hosed up

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

some plague rats posted:

Well no poo poo. What a weird definition of premeditation the courts are using

yeah, this is basically what happens when you're working off of the meaning of words as they were used hundreds of years ago instead of the meaning of words as they've evolved in the intervening centuries

also because you're working with lawyers and judges who are highly motivated to manipulate words to mean what they want them to mean and not what they actually mean

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The archaeic language of the law is intentional so that when language evolves the intent of the the law doesn't change. It's one of the most important parts of the court system. If the law needs to be updated, it needs to be an active choice of the legislature, not just the meaning of words drifting over time.

One of the funny parts about gun-control fanatics' and their dumb focus on words like "militia" or "arms" as if the contemporary colloquial meaning of the individual words is the important part instead of the overall intent.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The archaeic language of the law is intentional so that when language evolves the intent of the the law doesn't change. It's one of the most important parts of the court system. If the law needs to be updated, it needs to be an active choice of the legislature, not just the meaning of words drifting over time.

One of the funny parts about gun-control fanatics' and their dumb focus on words like "militia" or "arms" as if the contemporary colloquial meaning of the individual words is the important part instead of the overall intent.
what the gently caress are you talking about? that is always what “premeditation” has meant.

chauvin acted with purposeful intention to do something that killed another person. it wasn’t an accident and it wasn’t a decision made in the heat of the moment. that has fit the definition of first degree murder for centuries.

not sure why you’re whining about gun control, but trying to divine the meaning of individual words to determine legislative intent is what judges have been doing since forever in every aspect of the law, not just regulating very dangerous objects.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
You agree with me, sorry you got "triggered (like a gun)" by my comparison to gun-control fanatic's, lol.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You agree with me, sorry you got "triggered (like a gun)" by my comparison to gun-control fanatic's, lol.
probably because it was stupid and objectively wrong. Scalia's Heller opinion is entirely a dumb focus on the words "militia" and "arms."

people who support gun control, like Bernie Sanders, don't care about that "textualist" poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Woah plot twist