Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious posted:

in these situations what always happens is the cop moves to a new city and gets hired as a cop again

Or just gets hired by the county they already reside in / become a state trooper.

There needs to be a national blacklist akin to licensure so if police get canned for cause, they can no longer work in that capacity anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

why would there ever be? that's a feature, not a bug.

I completely agree with you, but this increasing scrutiny of police activity in the public eye is a trend that I think can only increase given their brutal nature and the expansion of the police state. I know that they know who they're hiring.

A national blacklist of this nature would be the smallest modicum of public accountability that could potentially be an early goal of police reform (it won't happen for the reason we agree on). Opponents of this type of reform will develop a strawman argument akin to: "Well look at those guys that were convicted of rape and murder and spent decades in prison before new evidence exonerated them, you would be doing the same thing to them" and it'll disarm proponents of this thing.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Prosectors have a reason to worry about literally being murdered if they actually successfully put a killer cop away.

Police departments and police unions have stopped just short of saying that anyone that prosecutes them will end up in a ditch