Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
people having to get used to an entirely different bin schedule, different kerbside recycling containers, different skip opening hours

chaos

https://twitter.com/KaraonTW/status/1376669323754942465

crispix fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

"Starmer's done a great job so far and if he's falling in the polls, that's all down to Covid (and is also Jeremy Corbyn's fault) but definitely nothing to do with Starmer himself. Also, he now has a vital second chance to reset how the public views him although, from the previous sentence, you wouldn't think that he even needs it."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/01/starmer-first-impression-labour-leader-challenges

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Party Boat posted:

The commonly accepted definition of "Northern England" using historic county lines doesn't include Derbyshire - there's a map here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devolution_to_the_North_of_England

The argument that parts of Derbyshire have more in common with their Northern neighbours than the rest of the county to the South is a valid one, but splitting up historic counties is the kind of thing that should be self-determined.

I personally can't wait until this country balkanises and we have a series of low level wars about whether Buxton is in Mercia and Northumbria, and the Welsh government forms the republic of pengwern in the hills surrounding Oswestry.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Compare and contrast with this article, which actually bothers to dig into what's happening with Starmer's polling:

https://novaramedia.com/2021/03/31/imagine-starmer-is-polling-badly-now-times-that-by-ten/

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

mrpwase posted:

They've defined the North as the EU regions of North East, North West, and Yorkshire and the Humber, but they've said that any of the counties at the border are welcome to join. I don't think they're explicitly defining themselves as anti-Derbyshire :shrug:

Yeh THEY defined the north, without looking at a map.

It’s an utter lack of knowledge about local politics and how it effects both North Derbyshire and North Nottinghamshire that makes people who live here go “the absolute balls on them naming themselves the northern Independence Party” - If they had any idea about how hard North Nottinghamshire has to fight against the Dukeries land owners then they would automatically have been included, and one of the things that would be looked at is why is Worksop not on Boris’ big list of towns that get money? Is it because it’s basically owned by the Dukeries and being put on the list would be an admission that it’s a shithole?

These are the utterly ridiculous problems we face here, and people wonder why after years of Labour MPs looking like they are not doing anything older people fell for Tory lies?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Pistol_Pete posted:

"Starmer's done a great job so far and if he's falling in the polls, that's all down to Covid (and is also Jeremy Corbyn's fault) but definitely nothing to do with Starmer himself. Also, he now has a vital second chance to reset how the public views him although, from the previous sentence, you wouldn't think that he even needs it."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/01/starmer-first-impression-labour-leader-challenges

that's a face that says "i would like to watch you have a bath... just once"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I just looked at a map and Derbyshire is in the East Midlands

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

the republic of pengwern

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GnLDJAgrws

???

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Party Boat posted:

The commonly accepted definition of "Northern England" using historic county lines doesn't include Derbyshire - there's a map here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devolution_to_the_North_of_England

The argument that parts of Derbyshire have more in common with their Northern neighbours than the rest of the county to the South is a valid one, but splitting up historic counties is the kind of thing that should be self-determined.

Sobs in that’s what we keep asking for, we want the northern third to be split between the Manchester and Sheffield local authorities but the local Tory party went all insanely xenophobic (?) and started harping on about BUT PEOPLE CARE ABOUT TRADITION and wound up the olds while ignoring that this whole area is flat broke and most of the financial issues the local authorities have would be wiped out with this move.

If only there was a northern party that could have got involved in this but oh well.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

learnincurve posted:

They also don’t know how to geography or local politics. There is this whole thing where Derbyshire is long, it’s so long that a lot of it is more north of Manchester. The problem is that the county capital is right on the southern tip next to Nottingham, and so far as administration goes it’s utterly unconnected to the rest of the county. Basically the northern parts want to be part of either the Sheffield or the Manchester local authorities if only because it would give us some protection from the local landowners we are all still beholden to, for example; “Want the supertram? well the Renishaw estate says “gently caress YOU”, “want the HS2 not to go through your house? well the Renishaw estate says “We are not having it near our land gently caress YOU””

and along comes the Northern Independence Party telling us we are not part of their cabal. Well gently caress you all too, look at a god drat map.

They did a month or two in explicitly include northern Derbyshire, but that wasn't long before they implicitly excluded any trans person who wasn't in lockstep with the leadership.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This paragraph from that Starmer article is wild

quote:

Starmer remains in many ways an unknown, perhaps more so than any comparably senior figure in modern politics, even to those around him. The damning verdict that some critics have already made is absurdly premature. It will, though, become much clearer very soon. Starmer may not have been able to cut through amid the dominance of Covid, yet the near invisibility of his first year gives him an unsullied opportunity once politics resumes from this spring. There is a cliche that says you never get a second chance to make a good first impression. But that is exactly what Starmer now has.

The fact that our leader is such an unprincipled non-entity that even those close to him have no idea who he is or what he believes is a Unique Opportunity actually

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Party Boat posted:

I just looked at a map and Derbyshire is in the East Midlands

Only the southern part. Long county is long.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

learnincurve posted:

Only the southern part. Long county is long.

Looks like all of it to me

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
And? That’s the point? we want that northern part that sticks out put in the correct local authorities because right now our local administration is massively out of date and counterproductive.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Northern derbyshire vs southern derbyshire civil war. New land border?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Derbyshire is northern from the point of view of a Londoner but southern from the point of view of someone from Cumbria. Makes you think.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
New crime of the NIP, making relevant what was the most tedious argument in the entire UK, "what technically counts as The North"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

learnincurve posted:

And? That’s the point? we want that northern part that sticks out put in the correct local authorities because right now our local administration is massively out of date and counterproductive.

You said that people should look at a map. I did and the map said Derbyshire was in the East Midlands.

If you want to change the map, that's a different argument and surely one that the people of North Derbyshire should decide for themselves?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Angepain posted:

New crime of the NIP, making relevant what was the most tedious argument in the entire UK, "what technically counts as The North"

*vague sounds of laughing and bagpipes can be heard in the distance*

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

So penguin is actually the welsh word for the (now extinct) great auk because penguins and auks were originally considered to be the same bird. Pen Gwyn translates to white head or white top.

Pengwern was a small welsh kingdom in what is now Shropshire and there is a lot of Welsh historical literature about the fall of Pengwern as a sort of apocalyptic event where the Welsh finally realise they weren't going to reclaim the old north back from the English. The meaning of "Gwern" is a bit vague but might refer to the river Severn, making Pengwern the head (source) of the severn.

e: party boat are you being deliberately obtuse? you seem to be misunderstanding every point learnincurve is making

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Party Boat posted:

You said that people should look at a map. I did and the map said Derbyshire was in the East Midlands.

If you want to change the map, that's a different argument and surely one that the people of North Derbyshire should decide for themselves?
You should have been looking at the map with the felt tipped circle drawn around northern Derbyshire.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I would gladly spend my life to further the cause of the North Derbyshire partisans

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
THIS is and always will be the Midlands:

No further responses please, this discussion is now over.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
If we can just leave Europe, that will solve our problems! Brussels doesn't care about us!

If we can just leave the South, that will solve our problems! London doesn't care about us!

If we can just divide our county in half, that will solve our problems! Derby doesn't care about us!

If we just build a wall around the village?

If we install barricades at the end of our street?

Maybe if I never go upstairs again?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Every time we call for a reorganisation of local authorities in Derbyshire, even to make the constituencies sane, old people start screaming about tradition. I swear to god when you tell them it would mean getting libraries back you get the same response every time “It’s a sacrifice I am willing to make”

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

Anything above the watford gap.

For reference, as that would include the East of England region, this new country would return a pretty comfortable Tory majority to its parliament (202 Tory, 117 Labour seats). Using the Danelaw area, the more traditional North/South divider, takes East of England out and leaves the Tories up by 150 to 115. If you move the border to the southern edge of Lancashire and Yorkshire, it goes 89 Labour to 68 Tory though (but don't look too closely at the EU referendum results).

(Yes, I know of course that everything is a lot more complex than that, but we're already starting to see the "magic line" strain of nationalist brain poison sneaking into the discussion and I just think it's worthwhile pointing out that Tories are loving everywhere)

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress it I'm going to go 100% into Forest of Dean independence, screw all y'all. We've got wild boars, disused quarries, bike trails for days and a vast concentration of NIMBYs. Who needs anything else?

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I'm eagerly awaiting the first NIP candidate/representative to use the phrase Londonistan, probably a solid vote winner but likely to cause a split. Should be some good fun content for ~Autumn

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Every time we call for a reorganisation of local authorities in Derbyshire, even to make the constituencies sane, old people start screaming about tradition. I swear to god when you tell them it would mean getting libraries back you get the same response every time “It’s a sacrifice I am willing to make”

I've driven through Derbyshire a few times and it seems completely obvious that the northern bit of Derbyshire is geographically better connect to Stockport than it is to Derby.

My proposal for the border of the north is a strtaight line from Chester to Matlock and the Matlock to Grimsby. Everything south of that is the Midlands

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Personally excited for GB to split into many small regions, preferably by tectonic activity

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I regret everything.

Just make the UK a Crusader Kings LARP in the Heptarchy

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

kyojin posted:

If we can just leave the South, that will solve our problems! London doesn't care about us!

Yes agreed you should always just be happy with your overlords, they always have your best interests at heart.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
We should get some high-up random in the Middle East or Africa who knows nothing about the UK to divide the whole country with random straight lines, as revenge

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

learnincurve posted:

You're acting like this is something NIP can change. If they somehow were to achieve their aim of secession, it would have to be done on existing County lines. They can't just say "and we'll have that bit of Derbyshire while we're at it, thank you".

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Butternubs posted:

Yes agreed you should always just be happy with your overlords, they always have your best interests at heart.

8 million overlords, conveniently residing in specific postcodes

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Jedit posted:

You're acting like this is something NIP can change. If they somehow were to achieve their aim of secession, it would have to be done on existing County lines. They can't just say "and we'll have that bit of Derbyshire while we're at it, thank you".

Relying on existing internal border just displays a severe lack of imagination on the part of any separatist movement tbph.

The SNP should be campaigning on re-integrating Berwick into Scotland.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Is there any organised North Derbyshire secession movement? If so they should definitely get in touch with the NIP.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Just move the capital up north for a while.

If Keith gets in maybe they can even move it to Eggborough

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Stop being a bunch of Kents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

kyojin posted:

8 million overlords, conveniently residing in specific postcodes

Obviously by overlords I meant the citizens of London and not the government that resides there.