Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jedit posted:

You're acting like this is something NIP can change. If they somehow were to achieve their aim of secession, it would have to be done on existing County lines. They can't just say "and we'll have that bit of Derbyshire while we're at it, thank you".

Then include Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire as a whole with a bit in the manifesto that says “reorganise local authorities and constituency boundaries within North Derbyshire and North Nottinghamshire to reflect geographical reality and practically. As a modern party we reject the idea that the local population should be chained to the yoke of traditional county lines that were drawn under the feudal system and are completely outdated today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mrpwase posted:

I regret everything.

Just make the UK a Crusader Kings LARP in the Heptarchy

If we're gonna split up the country, let's do it right. When Brenda dies, civil war based on the lands ruled by her heirs. Charlie of course gets Wales and Cornwall, Anne doesn't have any lands but is Colonel-in-Chief of a pretty useful chunk of the Army so could be a major force, Andrew gets Yorkshire (and is extremely unlikely to be asking the Yanks for help), but Edward is a hell of a wildcard given the sheer size of Wessex, and Michael Gove (wait what?) gets Lancashire. The Midlands will, as always, just be the place where all the battles happen.

London of course will just continue to do its own thing and sell guns to all sides, and as there are pubs in Barking that have more and better weaponry available than the Royal Marines I suspect all sides will respect this.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

learnincurve posted:

Then include Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire as a whole with a bit in the manifesto that says “reorganise local authorities and constituency boundaries within North Derbyshire and North Nottinghamshire to reflect geographical reality and practically. As a modern party we reject the idea that the local population should be chained to the yoke of traditional county lines that were drawn under the feudal system and are completely outdated today.

These sound like questions for the peoples of North Derbyshire and North Nottinghamshire to decide. Again, if there is any kind of organised movement agitating for what you say I am sure the NIP would be very keen to hear from them. But if there isn't they can hardly be blamed for not knowing about it. A Northern party saying that they'll unilaterally start taking land from Midlands counties sounds a bit reiver-ish.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Angepain posted:

New crime of the NIP, making relevant what was the most tedious argument in the entire UK, "what technically counts as The North"
The North is anywhere that has motorway signs pointing to The South, and vice versa. The bit in between is The Midlands :colbert:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

learnincurve posted:

As Rumda has experienced there are a shedload of problems with the NIP, but if you're invested in the idea of northern independence and you have a specific area of concern maybe... join the NIP and try to influence their policy?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Party Boat posted:

These sound like questions for the peoples of North Derbyshire and North Nottinghamshire to decide. Again, if there is any kind of organised movement agitating for what you say I am sure the NIP would be very keen to hear from them. But if there isn't they can hardly be blamed for not knowing about it. A Northern party saying that they'll unilaterally start taking land from Midlands counties sounds a bit reiver-ish.

She is people of North Derbyshire

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The plan to bring parts of Derbyshire dales and North East Derbyshire into the Sheffield Local authority made it to the Sheffield Star, the Derbyshire times, the Yorkshire post, the Daily Telegraph, the Independent, the Guardian and the Times. If they haven’t been paying attention to what the Sheffield Council and Sheffield Lord Mayor’s office has been up to then I don’t know what to say.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Rumda posted:

She is people of North Derbyshire

I am aware of this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
POND sounds relatively uncontroversial as a party name.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

By "the peoples of North Derbyshire and North Nottinghamshire" I'd hoped it was obvious that I meant as a whole as a democratic decision. I know that there are some sparsely populated areas of Derbyshire but I would be surprised if LC was a democratic majority by herself.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Party Boat posted:

By "the peoples of North Derbyshire and North Nottinghamshire" I'd hoped it was obvious that I meant as a whole as a democratic decision. I know that there are some sparsely populated areas of Derbyshire but I would be surprised if LC was a democratic majority by herself.

And like she's said there are movements and proposals to fix that, but they keep get getting shouted down by people who like a lot.of.you in this thread see county line as inviolate

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Party Boat posted:

I also don't think a majority people who live in the government defined north want an independent republic either but that hasn't stopped the NIP so far.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I live in Sale and there are a significant number of people here who are still FURIOUS that they no longer get to say they live in Cheshire.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
People's Front of North Derbyshire vs the North Derbyshire People's Front.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Butternubs posted:

Obviously by overlords I meant the citizens of London and not the government that resides there.

Much of that government is elected by the people of the North. The Chancellor of the Exchequer represents the constituency of Richmond in North Yorkshire. They have elected him 3 times. If you don't think he represents the North, then you should probably be speaking to them, not pointing the finger at "London" because that is where the building he works in is situated.

We all hate the loving government. Dividing ourselves up based on geography is not the answer to that and is in fact just a new and more stupid problem.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
So in an effort to change the subject from this, I've got my P45 from the old owners of the pharmacy and it's the first official document I've got in my real name with the correct gender on it, and that almost feels better than finally being shot of the worst bosses I've ever had.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Rumda posted:

And like she's said there are movements and proposals to fix that, but they keep get getting shouted down by people who like a lot.of.you in this thread see county line as inviolate

Can you link to these groups / proposals? I'd honestly not heard of them before and Google isn't turning up anything useful.

Edit: also congrats on having official documentation that properly recognises you!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What about setting up a new Northern Independence Party and call it the Northern and North Derbyshire Independence Party. It also does the job of getting the racist slur out of the acronym. Boom, done.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have done the bare minimum of link finding for you party boat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_City_Region_Combined_Authority

Basically we tried to join but there were lawsuits and drama: “The combined authority does not formally cover all of the Sheffield City Region as it does not include areas of northern Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire which are part of the city region”

And here’s the latest update: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/council/initial-rebrand-and-name-change-sheffield-city-region-agreed-south-yorkshire-leaders-3112111

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
More fallout from the racism non-report:

BMJ not happy: https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1377537296895991810

Experts not actually consulted but named: https://twitter.com/blackpoppies14/status/1377522299570638848?s=19

Boris' ethnic minority advisor quits: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56601166

And the perfect response from a Tory minister: https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1377508684906041344?s=09

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Thanks very much for that, I was searching for North Derbyshire / North Nottinghamshire related terms.

Edit: just read it, this seems to be about a Local Enterprise Partnership which doesn't need to respect existing boundary lines. I'd thought we were talking about amending county / constituency boundaries but I think we've been talking at cross purposes.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 1, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s a crazy rabbit hole of lawsuits and drama, and all all over little Hitlers on small local and parish councils who would have to give up power to the big city and not liking the idea, so they go about spreading lies about “Sheffield wants to build over OUR peak National park booooo hiisss”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I mean good that this time it's something positive but why is gender even on a p45?

As a fellow midlander I'm starting the central independence alliance. I can't disclose my funding just now though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If we're gonna split up the country, let's do it right. When Brenda dies, civil war based on the lands ruled by her heirs. Charlie of course gets Wales and Cornwall, Anne doesn't have any lands but is Colonel-in-Chief of a pretty useful chunk of the Army so could be a major force, Andrew gets Yorkshire (and is extremely unlikely to be asking the Yanks for help), but Edward is a hell of a wildcard given the sheer size of Wessex, and Michael Gove (wait what?) gets Lancashire. The Midlands will, as always, just be the place where all the battles happen.

London of course will just continue to do its own thing and sell guns to all sides, and as there are pubs in Barking that have more and better weaponry available than the Royal Marines I suspect all sides will respect this.

Give Harry and Megan some drunken LARPers in the old fashion and create the 51st state

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

kyojin posted:

Much of that government is elected by the people of the North. The Chancellor of the Exchequer represents the constituency of Richmond in North Yorkshire. They have elected him 3 times. If you don't think he represents the North, then you should probably be speaking to them, not pointing the finger at "London" because that is where the building he works in is situated.

We all hate the loving government. Dividing ourselves up based on geography is not the answer to that and is in fact just a new and more stupid problem.

Well the best option would be excising every part of the country that votes tory and sink it into the ocean but that I don't think "The parts of the country that DONT vote to have themselves crushed by big daddy Boris' boot Independence party" is that catchy, TpotctDvthtcbbdBbIP just doesn't have a ring to it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Butternubs posted:

Well the best option would be excising every part of the country that votes tory and sink it into the ocean but that I don't think "The parts of the country that DONT vote to have themselves crushed by big daddy Boris' boot Independence party" is that catchy, TpotctDvthtcbbdBbIP just doesn't have a ring to it.

Keep some parts that vote Tory, because we'd be kind of hosed losing all of that farmland. But definitely sink all the suburbs,

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i do kind of like derbyshire as some kind of schleswig-holstein question madness i never knew about.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I wonder what government everyone that lives above the ground floor would return?

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Also I don't expect they'll get anywhere near to their goal of actual norther independence but every part of the UK that tries to leave is a big gently caress you to the gov and I'm always down for that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If the last 2 weeks has taught me anything it's that Bristol should be the one that gets to secede from the UK and anyone who wants to join us just needs to set a cop car on fire

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Butternubs posted:

Also I don't expect they'll get anywhere near to their goal of actual norther independence but every part of the UK that tries to leave is a big gently caress you to the gov and I'm always down for that.
Of course they won't, the party is basically a meme electorally speaking. More people voted Tory than Labour in Yorkshire and the Humber in the last election, for example.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Butternubs posted:

It might invite suggestions of Russian interference :ussr:

Тпоткутдвтhтcбдббип

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

If the last 2 weeks has taught me anything it's that Bristol should be the one that gets to secede from the UK and anyone who wants to join us just needs to set a cop car on fire

Wessex Autonomy Party? I'm in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I like the part where this part of Derbyshire would have also gone batshit if anyone tried to put them in Mercia instead of Northumbria lol.

Edit: I remembered about this, the most passive aggressive statement from a councillor of all time https://www.chesterfield.co.uk/2019/07/local-enterprise-partnership-decision/

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 1, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

sebzilla posted:

Sadly that part of the world also votes Tory. Maybe if you just include Bristol itself.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Flayer posted:

Maybe if you just include Bristol itself.

We do already have our own currency!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Butternubs posted:

A big part of it is just grabbing attention on a part of the country that has been ignored for 40 years of deprivation. Obviously there's wealthy pockets & that but Labour & the Tories have both done the former industrial heartlands rotten.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

POND sounds relatively uncontroversial as a party name.

POND scum!! :argh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

A big part of it is just grabbing attention on a part of the country that has been ignored for 40 years of deprivation.
Yeah people forget that a big part of what Plaid did was things like "literally threatening a hunger strike to get a TV channel in their own language because the English didn't give a poo poo" so things don't have to be full balkanization draw hard borders and get the guns out and be a state to be a worthwhile endeavour, sometimes (especially with Travellers, Black British, and people where "we didn't cross the border, the border crossed us") it's more about saying "hello Westminster, we also exist as humans you fuckers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

sebzilla posted:

The Forest Anarchists Party extends a hand of friendship to the WAP.