Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
OH GOD
This poll is closed.
HOW DID THIS GET IN HERE 19 0.03%
I AM NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTER 42 0.06%
Wait I can edit polls?!?! 5 0.01%
IoC is a nerd 69432 99.91%
Total: 69498 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mustache Ride posted:

Nah the sensor is injected under the skin, the Bluetooth transmitter is attached outside the skin on a plastic holder. You just pull the sensor out, detach the transmitter, put a new sensor in and attach the transmitter. They last about 3 months. Yes, it's a big plastic thing sticking on your stomach or arm or whatever, but it's still better than finger poking 4-5 times a day.

I did notice some wild sugar swings after the second dose, and had to make some adjustments, but everything calmed down after about 2 weeks. drat mRNA vaccines messing with your body.

I got my 2nd dose on March 10th, so it's been a bit. I've reported it to the FDA via the v-safe tool, though I'd much rather be vaccinated and dealing with a weird side effect that may or may not be related. And I now know the vaccine is very effective - I had a coworker disappear for 3 weeks, about a week after my 2nd dose. When he came back, he confirmed he had COVID, and had been coming to work feeling lovely for a couple of days. The last night he worked, I worked side by side with him..... maskless. :cripes: He thinks he got it from his dad... multi-generational household (his grandparents, his parents, him, and his kid, all under one roof), and his dad kept going out to bars and such. His dad got sick first, then the rest of the house got sick. Thankfully all recovered, though his dad was in the hospital for a couple of weeks.

Which one did you get? I think you mentioned it, but my memory... not so great. I had Moderna, and was late getting my 2nd dose (thanks, FHS :argh:) - got it 5 weeks after the first instead of the recommended 28 days.

And that's cool that they last 3 months. I don't really mind the finger pricks, it's the "NOT ENOUGH BLOOD OMG THROW AWAY THIS STRIP AND USE A NEW ONE" poo poo that gets old when the strip doesn't wick enough (from the very ample amount I squeezed out :argh: - it seems like if the drop loses surface tension, these strips just do the COMPUTER SAYS NO poo poo).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Advent Horizon posted:

I think I’ll have a salad for dinner tonight. Anybody else feeing the same after reading all this?

Don’t stop - this is great ‘scared straight’ material.

Edit:

I legit do not understand the whole ‘my life was miserable so yours should be too - and you should make my life great while you’re at it!’ bullshit.

I have a fairly good, if distant, relationship with my parents now that dad’s retired and mom is sober, but gently caress me I don’t want to repeat their mistakes.

My little sister is on her 2nd marriage and has 3 kids. I’m on my first (hopefully only) with zero. I like being the uncle who flies in for the weekend, gives the kids crazy presents (did you know bouncy houses are under $200 to buy?!), and boogies out when it’s bedtime.

I’ve got a cousin who was a grandmother 2x by my age. I’m still a kid myself, dammit!

I'm glad I never have gotten pressure to have children by my parents. The closest I think is they try to show me how much they like their grandchildren, still I don't think they do it to be influential. They just love them.

My wife on the other hand, a full on child hater. She's mad now that her friend is pregnant. I still remember a point in our lives where we felt having a child was likely in the next one to two years after meeting some smaller milestones. That became us not really interested, and now actively disgusted. Well not me as much, I'm just uninterested. It would be fun to have a little helper in the garage and yard to teach life skills to.

I've been softened up by the neighbor girl who is cute and shouts hello from across the street when she sees me. My wife has been hardened by 8 years of kindergarteners.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

This is where you suggest adopting some disadvantaged 10yo foster kid stuck in the CPS system.

In full disclosure, I was once that kid (only I was 12/13).

EDIT: as much as I tend to bring up my poo poo childhood I'm half surprised I don't have a red text about it.

EDIT2: I do want to make a huge post about my life from 1988 (right before the older of my brother's was born) to my reg date but combination of "what forum?" and :effort:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 29, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Speaking of, ADHD 12 year old is coming over after school today.. again. I'll be asleep, at least...

I'm already trying to knock myself out cold. And when I go to bed, my PC will be mysteriously broken (shut off the UPS, unplug the SATA cable from the boot drive, feeling cute might yank all the RAM while i'm in there). And my Wyze cam got promoted to watching my desk for today.

He normally has his own account on my desktop, but he pulled some poo poo yesterday that makes me not trust him around anything worth more than $0.01.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

StormDrain posted:

My wife on the other hand, a full on child hater. She's mad now that her friend is pregnant. I still remember a point in our lives where we felt having a child was likely in the next one to two years after meeting some smaller milestones. That became us not really interested, and now actively disgusted.

A few years back when 5 people I knew got pregnant in a 6 month span I had a mental breakdown about it and refused to have sex. It was a major problem until I got snipped.

I’m really glad I did because I’m up to 24 family and (fairly close) friends having covid kids. I know that’s a statistical anomaly but I am really glad that’s one chunk of mental stress I haven’t had in the last year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So, looks like the work i had done on my teeth aggravated the nerve into a frenzy. Unless it settles down on it's own I will be in pain essentially forever. So it looks like a root canal is in my future. And I found out my dental insurance is crappy and I've just about maxed out my benefits for the year so I either live with this for 8 more months or I pay the $1200 out of pocket. Thank god for HSAs.

Also I'm already seeing how futile it was to file the complaint on the racist, people are bending over backwards to excuse his behavior and praise him as a coworker. So there's no point in doing the right thing or standing up for what's right.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

StormDrain posted:

My wife on the other hand, a full on child hater. She's mad now that her friend is pregnant.

being mad that your friend is having a kid :yikes: unless there's some specific reason you're leaving out

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

being mad that your friend is having a kid :yikes: unless there's some specific reason you're leaving out

It’s more common than you may think. Kids vs no kids is a huge difference in lifestyle and it’s annoyingly hard to maintain friendships through that transition, especially for women.

Basically, no more champagne brunches. The pregnant friend will usually end up finding a mom group where they can do things while their kids play, so they’re not shouldering parenting duties 100% while the childfree friend is clueless.

From the perspective of the non-child-having woman, her friend chose having kids over their friendship.

I’ve seen it happen multiple times with people I know. Every single first time parent says “we’ll still do stuff!” and then rapidly drifts away. Sometimes the friendship drifts back as the kids get older but that’s a crapshoot.

My wife and I are at the weird stage where most of our friends are either younger and pre-kids or older and the kids are teenager+ so can be left to their own devices.

Please note that I’m not trying to knock people having kids, I just totally understand why childfree women get mad when their friends are pregnant.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Advent Horizon posted:

I legit do not understand the whole ‘my life was miserable so yours should be too - and you should make my life great while you’re at it!’ bullshit.

A lot of parents aren't ready to be parents when the kid comes, and they project their stilted development onto the child.

poo poo, I didn't have kids until I was in my 30s, and even then, it's been a serious struggle. I don't know how I could have made it through if I'd have had kids in my 20s. I'd like to think I wouldn't have been as lovely as that, but man, life can really push you down some times...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You're dead on. All my best dude friends are dads (and coincidentally all divorced and remarried) and I never see them anymore. Even before covid it was extremely rare to get all four of us together.

My wife has accidentally compartmentalized her friendships into groups of three (I call them tripods). She has her mom friends, her train wreck friends and her work friends. She gets different things from each group but predictably, the mom friends are usually too busy to get together.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can't gauge what mad means to you, she's not yelling or fighting, she is upset that her relationship is going to change.

For all the reasons Advent posted. Priorities and availabilities change. It's a close friend who she talks to and hangs out with regularly.

We're not exactly making a ton of new friends as we get older, and it's more rare that our new friends become close friends.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

meatpimp posted:

A lot of parents aren't ready to be parents when the kid comes, and they project their stilted development onto the child.

I meant more the crappy parents pushing their kids for grandkids.

I legit respect people who got their house in order first. I can barely keep myself standing, let alone teach someone else how to walk.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Advent Horizon posted:

It’s more common than you may think. Kids vs no kids is a huge difference in lifestyle and it’s annoyingly hard to maintain friendships through that transition, especially for women.

Basically, no more champagne brunches. The pregnant friend will usually end up finding a mom group where they can do things while their kids play, so they’re not shouldering parenting duties 100% while the childfree friend is clueless.

From the perspective of the non-child-having woman, her friend chose having kids over their friendship.

I’ve seen it happen multiple times with people I know. Every single first time parent says “we’ll still do stuff!” and then rapidly drifts away. Sometimes the friendship drifts back as the kids get older but that’s a crapshoot.

My wife and I are at the weird stage where most of our friends are either younger and pre-kids or older and the kids are teenager+ so can be left to their own devices.

Please note that I’m not trying to knock people having kids, I just totally understand why childfree women get mad when their friends are pregnant.

All the things you said are valid but it seems really unhealthy to be mad at your friend for having kids. It sounds like misdirected anger.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is basically that. My father got my mother pregnant unplanned and because she was from a traditional first gen Irish immigrant parents they pressured them to get married which they did and resented each other until my mother finally left 25 years later.

She wanted to travel the world and be the life of the party and he just wanted to get drunk with his friends and watch football (soccer) while being a typical 80s hooligan including almost enduring up in clink on an assaulting a police officer charge. Model parents.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Kids will drain you mentally and physically and financially but goddamn if they aren’t cool little dudes sometimes.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Up until recently I have found the whole parenting thing pretty difficult - I had a few breakthroughs last month that really changed my outlook on it.

The male side of friendships has really changed - before covid I had a tight group of car friends, some older, some younger - the older guys get it and have really stepped up with their friendship with me, the younger guys just don't understand that the pre-kid lobsterboy is just not as available anymore. When he re-appears for a brief and shining moment, things are different. I can't stay out until 2-3am on friday nights crusing old cars - i can stay out until about midnight and its only once a week, if at all. I can't come out to a house party on a tuesday night, but I can come over in the afternoon before babys bedtime - My wife and I can't just go to a restaurant with everyone (covid aside)

The hardest part of this is really dealing with... that - my wife has experienced so many changes, and while most of her friends are moms already, covid has really made a lot of interaction with them so difficult - we were also very social people, we've had a lot of fun in our life together, and having some of those freedoms taken from her between covid and the baby has been very hard on her, also the fact that I'm still frustratingly jobless has kept us at each others throats

Having had the baby in April - so much hit me all at once, and now that things are starting look so positive, we starting to feel much better. We took him out to a restaurant for the first time, its not easy, but made my wife and I feel more like real humans, and the frustration of trying to get him to chill out kinda melted when I realized we were actually at a restaraunt. We just have to get better at including him in to our lives as it was, and getting past being in baby world. We were both very wrapped up in that idea, but we kinda lost sight of it because of all the insanity we've been thru.

I miss the carefree days that I used to have, but at the same time, I can't imagine my life without my little buddy. its really hard to give yourself an out of body look at yourself as a real adult, and to realize that you are now your dad, and if you pan out a bit more on that camera view you realize that your dad is probably still thinking the same thing. I lost both my parents, and I'm an only child - one of the hardest things for me lately is wishing my mom could have experienced being a grandmother - I have so many questions I'd ask her about how I was when I was a kid, or how she'd handle certain situations like how I ate or how i slept. looking thru that particular camera lens I realized that she did what she did with me for so many reasons. I was also very lucky to have my grandparents on my moms side, both of which were firmly members of the greatest generation, which I really do think is why I'm so wrapped around the axle with my vintage stuff (funny how thats a common theme in people that are in to the poo poo that I am)

Either way, its been a lot of soul searching and big life changes to me - For the most part I haven't had any real issues with friends and I'm pretty darn happy with where I am in life, I dress the same as I did before he came along, I talk the same way, our house looks the same (although a lot more dirty), I still work on my cars when I can.. - I haven't let anything break me of my ways before, same with my wife, why should we become a new balance and jorts wearing doofus... I've had a lot of "I see pride, I see powa, I see a bad rear end mudda who dont take no crap off of nobody" cool runnings moments in the mirror lately, but when I look back I see me and my family.

Also, as corny as it sounds, watching your kids grow and learn is really interesting to me - yes there's frustrations, they have limitless energy, sleeping is difficult, there are very, very annoying things, but the smile and laugh really makes it all feel more bearable - which pre-kid me would totally brush off as bullshit, as childless people reading this will.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You're a great writer and I hope you know that.

In contrast to your last statement I really don't think the childless viewpoint is as common as you think. Maybe outwardly projected more.

There's some book or memior or something that is called All Joy and No Fun and that title alone sums up what I imagine.

Idk though! I don't know everyone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

StormDrain posted:

I can't gauge what mad means to you, she's not yelling or fighting, she is upset that her relationship is going to change.

For all the reasons Advent posted. Priorities and availabilities change. It's a close friend who she talks to and hangs out with regularly.

We're not exactly making a ton of new friends as we get older, and it's more rare that our new friends become close friends.

this seems weird because my wife and I dont have kids and a bunch of our friends are having kids and like... we know the relationship is going to change. and probably for the worse or at least we're going to be less of a priority. but all relationships change over time, man, that's just how it is. maybe I have a different perspective because I have moved a bunch in my life and made friends a bunch of different places but each of those friendship dynamics is always changing. if people move away is it your friend not prioritizing you? i guess you could look at it that way but imo that's just kinda hosed up and selfish

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this seems weird because my wife and I dont have kids and a bunch of our friends are having kids and like... we know the relationship is going to change. and probably for the worse or at least we're going to be less of a priority. but all relationships change over time, man, that's just how it is. maybe I have a different perspective because I have moved a bunch in my life and made friends a bunch of different places but each of those friendship dynamics is always changing. if people move away is it your friend not prioritizing you? i guess you could look at it that way but imo that's just kinda hosed up and selfish

It is, but some people that don't have kids just don't get it I guess. My wife lost a "best friend" after she had our son and it hurt her a lot. She didn't come right out and say it but it was pretty obvious, she stopped initiating anything all together and my wife was on a one way street trying to keep the friendship together. Then my wife's father died, she needed a shoulder to cry on and her "friend" just blew her off and that was pretty much the end of that. I felt bad for her but I guess you don't want "friends" like that in your life anyway.

For me it wasn't a big deal, all the close friends I have now I met after my son was born. Our good friends now all have kids and they all are friends and hang out all the time so it's great. Who knows, once all our kids are grown up and moved out those relationships might change too.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

LobsterboyX posted:

yes there's frustrations, they have limitless energy, sleeping is difficult, there are very, very annoying things, but the smile and laugh really makes it all feel more bearable - which pre-kid me would totally brush off as bullshit, as childless people reading this will.

StormDrain posted:

In contrast to your last statement I really don't think the childless viewpoint is as common as you think. Maybe outwardly projected more.

I agree, I think that last statement is more projection than anything. My spouse and I are never going to have kids. But we appreciate being around kids and, in our own way, being part of the lives of our 7 nieces and nephews plus our godson. Our decision to be childless is rooted in our desire to focus on what matters to ourselves, as opposed to any kind of antipathy towards children

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got the antivirus installed and now my wifi is acting up. I think they put in the wrong frequency.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

The whole State of Alaska network is down. Somebody is probably scrambling.

Not me, though. I’m just a user.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

got off on a technicality posted:

I agree, I think that last statement is more projection than anything. My spouse and I are never going to have kids. But we appreciate being around kids and, in our own way, being part of the lives of our 7 nieces and nephews plus our godson. Our decision to be childless is rooted in our desire to focus on what matters to ourselves, as opposed to any kind of antipathy towards children

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It is, but some people that don't have kids just don't get it I guess. My wife lost a "best friend" after she had our son and it hurt her a lot. She didn't come right out and say it but it was pretty obvious, she stopped initiating anything all together and my wife was on a one way street trying to keep the friendship together. Then my wife's father died, she needed a shoulder to cry on and her "friend" just blew her off and that was pretty much the end of that. I felt bad for her but I guess you don't want "friends" like that in your life anyway.

For me it wasn't a big deal, all the close friends I have now I met after my son was born. Our good friends now all have kids and they all are friends and hang out all the time so it's great. Who knows, once all our kids are grown up and moved out those relationships might change too.

Wow your wife's "friend" sounds really lovely man I'm sorry she went through that.

I don't get the kid thing either tbh. I've never wanted children and I've never imagined myself having children. I'm young enough that my attitude may change later on but who knows.

I really do like children though - they really are wonderful. I just don't want to raise my own.

Again I'm open to that changing but tbh that seems pretty unlikely.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Wow your wife's "friend" sounds really lovely man I'm sorry she went through that.

I don't get the kid thing either tbh. I've never wanted children and I've never imagined myself having children. I'm young enough that my attitude may change later on but who knows.

I really do like children though - they really are wonderful. I just don't want to raise my own.

Again I'm open to that changing but tbh that seems pretty unlikely.

You don't have to be your parents. That doesn't mean you have to want to have kids, but it's worth considering for you and other folks who had lovely childhoods or bad parents.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Holy crap this network outage is REALLY bad:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just because you have kids, it doesn’t have to ruin your hobbies or your life. I get compromising and prioritizing taking care of the family, but having to give up things you love wholesale seems unhealthy.

Having said that, I will admit that I count myself among the lucky that my wife likes some of the same things I do and actively encourages me to get out and do things I like (and always has - even when the kids were little). I’m a curmudgeon and essentially an only child and I don’t think we would have lasted if I couldn’t have kept the car/bike/gun hobbies all these years. My automotive ADD would also have driven lesser women to the brink.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Today the bike shop let me test ride an $11k ebike while I waited for them to finish fixing my bicycle.

It's a Riese + Muller Homage GT, and it's more expensive than all-but-one of the cars I've ever owned. As one would expect, it's really nice to ride!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Looks legit, but what's up with the QR lever?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Up top on the left handlebar? That's for the dropper seatpost.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Up top on the left handlebar? That's for the dropper seatpost.

I think he means the tag on the front wheel hub.

That's how you put it in H

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
At Walmart masked up getting stuff for a small family cookout and this loving bitch and her rear end husband with masks around their chin HACKING COUGHING like loving idiots right there in the frozen veg aisle all I could do not to rage put your ducking mask on your mouth it’s right there! My Walmart doesn’t even make you wear a mask but it’s on your chin!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

I think he means the tag on the front wheel hub.

That's how you put it in H

Oh, yeah, brain fart. Yeah, that's just a paper tag.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Oh, yeah, brain fart. Yeah, that's just a paper tag.

Ah, alright. I definitely hoped it hadn’t just been cranked down, but I’ve had some poor experiences along those lines lately. Carry on.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

everdave posted:

At Walmart masked up getting stuff for a small family cookout and this loving bitch and her rear end husband with masks around their chin HACKING COUGHING like loving idiots right there in the frozen veg aisle all I could do not to rage put your ducking mask on your mouth it’s right there! My Walmart doesn’t even make you wear a mask but it’s on your chin!

I always avoid Walmart because I always see the most anti-maskers/dicknoses.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

mariooncrack posted:

I always avoid Walmart because I always see the most anti-maskers/dicknoses.

Go to a gun store. It'll make WalMart look like mask heaven.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

We had to get sat down and talked to at work to stop pulling our masks down when we cough or sneeze.

I mean, I was just collateral damage on that one.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Guys remember how I was certain I was getting canned? Today I had a perf. review and was told they're glad I'm here. So that's good. I still would like to find a new profession but for now... Soldier on.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Elviscat posted:

We had to get sat down and talked to at work to stop pulling our masks down when we cough or sneeze.

I mean, I was just collateral damage on that one.

I'm sorry, what?

:stonk:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Safety Dance posted:

Today the bike shop let me test ride an $11k ebike while I waited for them to finish fixing my bicycle.

It's a Riese + Muller Homage GT, and it's more expensive than all-but-one of the cars I've ever owned. As one would expect, it's really nice to ride!

The thing that drives me bonkers about these E bikes is that no matter the price, they still use dirt cheap components - ok, yes, they're cool but come on - the fact is that there is very little bicycle production of any kind outside of China and Tiawan, as in it can be made pretty much anywhere using "global components" - and it bugs me that they would have the audacity to ask $11k for a bike bolt on generic fenders, $0.75 grips and $10.00 seat.

Not to say I don't partake in such sillyness, my SE BigMX bike is 100% crappy components on a CroMo frame with classic 26" BMX geometry - it was nearly $800 with the homie hookup discount. Also my buddy has a pair of the Super73 mini bike style ebikes that are undoubtedly fun, but there's no way this half sized oddball thing is a $1300 bike, if you try ride it like a normal bike, no matter your size you look like a circus bear riding on a gag bike.

https://super73.com/collections/all-bikes/products/super73-z1-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

McTinkerson posted:

I'm sorry, what?

:stonk:

If you sneeze or cough into your mask it makes it icky :shrug: