Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
OH GOD
This poll is closed.
HOW DID THIS GET IN HERE 19 0.03%
I AM NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTER 42 0.06%
Wait I can edit polls?!?! 5 0.01%
IoC is a nerd 69432 99.91%
Total: 69498 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Safety Dance posted:

Today the bike shop let me test ride an $11k ebike while I waited for them to finish fixing my bicycle.

It's a Riese + Muller Homage GT, and it's more expensive than all-but-one of the cars I've ever owned. As one would expect, it's really nice to ride!

11k? loving hell, have prices jumped that much? I've seen less expensive e-MTBs that were swimming in top of the line parts.

*edit: I had a dig and the Rohloff hub gearing and motor are a large chunk of change but that price is still insane.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
what is this old car? ive been trying all the american brands 1930s-1940s but can't seem to find it:

its in the midwest. seems like the pontiac logo??

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Child chat: My son just hit 4 months old and we've been super lucky with him so far (probably the luckiest is that he'll sleep 8 hours at night and has done for about a month)
We'd been planning for a long time, going as far as chosing our current car based on whether a pram will fit before he was even conceived. All the usual stuff like reading books and looking at youtube helped prepare too.

Ironically covid has probably helped mitigate some of the impact to being able to do stuff because nothing is open anyway but we never used to go out much regardless. I'm working from home so it means I'm aaround a lot more than I would have been.
We've got a long weekend booked in a couple of months which will be our first trip away together. I'm stuck with a paradoxical type of though, I'm excited to see what kind of person Babylop turns into but at the same time I want to keep him as a little baby.

Some of the best purchases have been a thermos to keep hot water to make milk with and a little plastic tub with sections to keep pre-portioned poweder in. It makes feeding prep much faster.

Also we have an awesome wrap with which you can tie him to your torso leaving you hands free and mobile.

e: he's recently learnt how to giggle, it seems to be fairly random what sets it off but it's super cute when a certain funny face can make him laugh to the point of hiccoughs :kimchi:

freelop fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 30, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Today the bike shop let me test ride an $11k ebike while I waited for them to finish fixing my bicycle.

It's a Riese + Muller Homage GT, and it's more expensive than all-but-one of the cars I've ever owned. As one would expect, it's really nice to ride!

I encourage everyone who’s bored to check out Reese & Müller’s website. Their stuff is ridiculous. Why yes, I would like a €10k full suspension e-cargobike.

Makes my Bullitt look positively frugal in comparison.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Safety Dance posted:

11K?!?! The gently caress? Esp when it clearly has some poo poo low end parts thats just insane

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

As they get older it just gets wilder, the potential for amazing and uplifting experiences increases at the same rate as the potential for frustration and heartbreak.

It's weird occasionally looking at my son and seeing simultaneously the chubby faced baby who giggled, the analytical toddler who problem solved like an inquisitive chimp and the whole 11 yr old grown person with likes, dislikes, attitudes, a sense of humour etc. My daughter is a hellbeast when she wants to be, it's frightening and amazing waiting to see who she turns out to be. The next 10 years are going to be amazing one way or another with those 2.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

That is a lot of money for what doesn't look like that much biek!

5G upgrades rolled out to under 45s in the UK today. I get to book a stabbing!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

STR posted:

I had Moderna, and was late getting my 2nd dose (thanks, FHS :argh:) - got it 5 weeks after the first instead of the recommended 28 days.
You should be ok, we had to delay my second shot a few times because my body is a POS. First shot was March 10th, second was April 27th.

Advent Horizon posted:

Kids vs no kids
He's right on all points. Wife's friends either have kids or are pregnant and it's been hard for her. They still talk just less frequent and for less time because the one's with kids only want to talk about their kids. Luckily we have a few other friends that are no kid. It probably doesn't help my wife had wanted kids but between fertility issues and all my health stuff we decided against it, so there's likely some resentment there.

Got good news from the doctors yesterday, glad we made the 14 hour drive to see them in person instead of playing phone tag trying to figure poo poo out. No further testing so we'll chill for a day then head back home a week early.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

That is a lot of money for what doesn't look like that much biek!

5G upgrades rolled out to under 45s in the UK today. I get to book a stabbing!

Booked! Eventually, the system is understandably getting hammered.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sharkytm posted:

Go to a gun store. It'll make WalMart look like mask heaven.

God, this. I did a Uber Eats run to a gun shop/range several months ago (when we were seeing nearly 1000 new cases a day). Not a single mask in sight, except for me. Lots of MAGA hats and don't tread on me shirts too... while I had a big Bernie sticker on my car (still do). :v:

NitroSpazzz posted:

You should be ok, we had to delay my second shot a few times because my body is a POS. First shot was March 10th, second was April 27th.

Oh I know, Moderna and the CDC have even said you can go up to 42 days between doses safely. But I had a hell of a time getting scheduled for the 2nd dose, and had to rely on the hospital's Facebook page to finally find out when they'd be opening up 2nd doses (they didn't schedule them during the 1st dose, never emailed me, etc). That particular hub was run by one of those "no, we're not in network for ANY insurance" standalone emergency rooms that are so popular in TX - they have a $60/mo fee if you want a "membership" that gets you discounts and lets you see some of their doctors as a PCP - and my county chose them to run the largest vaccination hub.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LobsterboyX posted:

The thing that drives me bonkers about these E bikes is that no matter the price, they still use dirt cheap components - ok, yes, they're cool but come on - the fact is that there is very little bicycle production of any kind outside of China and Tiawan, as in it can be made pretty much anywhere using "global components" - and it bugs me that they would have the audacity to ask $11k for a bike bolt on generic fenders, $0.75 grips and $10.00 seat.

Not to say I don't partake in such sillyness, my SE BigMX bike is 100% crappy components on a CroMo frame with classic 26" BMX geometry - it was nearly $800 with the homie hookup discount. Also my buddy has a pair of the Super73 mini bike style ebikes that are undoubtedly fun, but there's no way this half sized oddball thing is a $1300 bike, if you try ride it like a normal bike, no matter your size you look like a circus bear riding on a gag bike.

https://super73.com/collections/all-bikes/products/super73-z1-1

I'm gonna get an E bike but it's nowhere near that much lol.

I also recently got a Haro 26" BMX and altho it's really cool there is some cheap poo poo on it and for $600 I would expect a little better but oh well the hot market is the big BMX bikes now and people are paying top dollar for Chinese bikes. :shrug:

My Surly 1x1 is best bike I've ever owned, has top notch components on it and i picked it up for $400 years ago. I could probably get $1500 for it now but no way I'm ever selling it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I had a fairly close friend, like hanging out two times per week close and having lunch together once a week or so. His wife gets preggers, we hang as usual. Then the kid arrives and I haven't heard from him in four years. Like, literally from one week to the next the kid is there and suddenly I don't exist. It is especially weird because he had THE EXACT SAME THING happen to him once, and he was clearly still very upset about it seven years later (when he told me about it while drunk).

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I have a feeling these prices will be the new normal and that what we’re witnessing is big inflation happening in front of our eyes.

Kicking myself for not buying a house years ago when they were less unaffordable.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
grandma passed a couple days ago. i wondered what skill i would master after roni happened, turns out i am the loving MASTER of staring at walls. i challenge anyone to stare at a wall anywhere near as well as i have done over the last few days. on the plus side:
wheel still holding air
part time cat came to visit pretty much every day
full tank of fuel
fridge full of beer
family friend dropped off mad soup so i dont have to cook or really do any solid eating.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
For all of those having friends dropping off the earth after becoming parents: trust me, it’s not by choice.

Imagine having to do a solid cleaning of your house/apartment. Not deep clean spring cleaning but like “this chick I like is coming over for the first time” clean.

Then imagine having to do that every day.

Then imagine being interrupted literally a hundred times while doing it, sometimes at three in the morning.

That’s roughly what having kids is like.

I haven’t climbed a single route, lifted a single weight, ridden my MTB or visited my gear head friend’s workshop for three and one half years.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just pulled my wargaming stuff out of the garage after a literal 11 year hiatus. Even then only because my son got interested in airfix models, saw it while I was finding the airbrush and wants a go.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

bolind posted:

For all of those having friends dropping off the earth after becoming parents: trust me, it’s not by choice.

Imagine having to do a solid cleaning of your house/apartment. Not deep clean spring cleaning but like “this chick I like is coming over for the first time” clean.

Then imagine being interrupted literally a hundred times while doing it, sometimes at three in the morning.

I haven’t climbed a single route, lifted a single weight, ridden my MTB or visited my gear head friend’s workshop for three and one half years.

:golfclap:

well put.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

freelop posted:

Child chat: My son just hit 4 months old and we've been super lucky with him so far (probably the luckiest is that he'll sleep 8 hours at night and has done for about a month)
We'd been planning for a long time, going as far as chosing our current car based on whether a pram will fit before he was even conceived. All the usual stuff like reading books and looking at youtube helped prepare too.

Ironically covid has probably helped mitigate some of the impact to being able to do stuff because nothing is open anyway but we never used to go out much regardless. I'm working from home so it means I'm aaround a lot more than I would have been.
We've got a long weekend booked in a couple of months which will be our first trip away together. I'm stuck with a paradoxical type of though, I'm excited to see what kind of person Babylop turns into but at the same time I want to keep him as a little baby.

Some of the best purchases have been a thermos to keep hot water to make milk with and a little plastic tub with sections to keep pre-portioned poweder in. It makes feeding prep much faster.

Also we have an awesome wrap with which you can tie him to your torso leaving you hands free and mobile.

e: he's recently learnt how to giggle, it seems to be fairly random what sets it off but it's super cute when a certain funny face can make him laugh to the point of hiccoughs :kimchi:

YGPM. We should have an AI parent-thread. Yeah, I know there's a mega thread elsewhere, but... AI.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 30, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

20 Blunts posted:

what is this old car? ive been trying all the american brands 1930s-1940s but can't seem to find it:

its in the midwest. seems like the pontiac logo??

Looks like a 1938 Chevy pickup.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

sharkytm posted:

YGPM. We should have an AI parent-thread. Yeah, I know there's a mega thread elsewhere, but... AI.

My 3yo has decided he likes Mom's suv better than Dad's 3 series. She thinks it's a dis on my car, but really it means that the mess/miles/borrowing is tied to her car! :D

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

bolind posted:

We get it, we really do. And I also understand that having kids is like being bipolar - the lows are lower but I hear the highs are amazing. Anybody over 30 without kids really does get it.

Yes, being unhappy about a friend choosing that over the friendship is selfish. I don’t think anyone here would argue that. People are selfish.

But chewing someone out for expressing their feelings really isn’t the way to make anything better. Whether that’s intended or not, that’s how a lot of this conversation is coming across. I’m not naming anybody in particular because I think it would behoove everyone to do a little self-reflection, including myself.

(bolind, you’re just unlucky enough to be the guy I quoted - sorry man)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

I’m not naming anybody in particular because I think it would behoove everyone to do a little self-reflection, including myself.

I know I'm gushing, but it's nice to have you back. If only everyone had that attitude a bit more, the world would be a better place.

As an expectant parent, I don't get it yet, but I will soon!

I don't think anyone without kids can really get it. I certainly don't begrudge anyone for their decisions regarding kids. If you don't want them, it would be selfish to have one. If you want them, then have at it. Live and let live. That said, being pissed when a friend has kids is kids lovely. Be glad for them, even if it means they aren't a part of your life anymore. Lord knows I've lost a bunch of friends because of their having kids, but they're genuinely really enjoying that life. Great!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've lost a bunch of friends over far more trivial poo poo but I think I tend to make friends / lose friends relatively easily. I can see how for people who have a difficult time making friends or have a narrow circle of friends that it would be much more difficult.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I lost a really good friend recently because he became single and turned into a party animal in his 40's. Parties all night sometimes never goes to bed now so the time we used to spend hanging out he's recovering from the night before.

It's not my thing so I barely see him anymore, dude barely drank on now he's drinking like a fish firmly in the bar scene. Kinda disappointing but oh well go get covid I guess.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oh, neat, my grandfather just added me on Facebook.

... then started messaging me about the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, and how they need itunes gift cards to keep funding vaccine research (REALLY? the founder of Microsoft needs iTunes gift cards? when he's one of the wealthiest people in the world?)

............. I should mention my grandfather died in 1997. loving hell, this poo poo is getting super targeted. One of the more recent breaches reported against my email by haveibenpwned involved answers to "security questions" (it's a Carmax breach that isn't listed as a Carmax breach - basically a breach with a company that handles a lot of backend for dealers, and the phone # matches the one I had when I financed a car via Carmax - and they got SUPER personal with some questions since I'd been a victim of identity theft). As soon as I said "gramps, I love you and all, but how did you get out of your grave? You've been there for 25 years, we even entombed you in concrete!", I got blocked. :smith:

30 minutes later, another dead relative with a brand new profile tried to contact me. :wtc: I thought I had my FB pretty well locked down; unless you're friends with me, all you can see is my name. Guess they're trying the "throw some dynamite in the lake and see what rises to the top" approach. Or probably harvested everything in the ~10 seconds I let "gramps" onto my profile.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 30, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I had to miss my 2nd vax appointment due to some work bullshit on Weds so I'm trying to just show up this afternoon at Ford Field... wish me luck! Meijer/FEMA had no way of rescheduling, seems like an oversight.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had barely any reaction to first and second shots. After the second I had a slight fever for a couple hours and that's it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I had barely any reaction to first and second shots. After the second I had a slight fever for a couple hours and that's it.

You've had enough medical bullshit, I think you earned a non reaction on this thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my wife did fine on hers which means that when i inevitably get debilitatingly ill for 24 hours shes gonna make fun of me for the rest of eternity

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The second Moderna shot I got on Wednesday afternoon knocked me down yesterday with all the basics: pain at the injection site, tiredness, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain. Ibuprofen helped a ton with the symptoms since they were almost all based on swelling reactions. I'm doing a lot better today, but I'm still ready for a nap or 8.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You've had enough medical bullshit, I think you earned a non reaction on this thing.

Haha yeah right?

Been pressure washing my house today. Using an electric pressure washer that actually works really well, but now i have two hoses and an electric cord to drag around and try not to get tangled up and it's a huge pain in the dick :v:

Super quiet tho and no gas so that's a plus.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I had to miss my 2nd vax appointment due to some work bullshit on Weds so I'm trying to just show up this afternoon at Ford Field... wish me luck! Meijer/FEMA had no way of rescheduling, seems like an oversight.
Not sure where you're located but you could check walgreens, I was able to get an appointment in a non-home state in about five minutes over the phone. They didn't care about where I got my first shot, happily gave me second shot.

We're still not sure if my fever three days after the first was from the shot or if I actually had an infection, either way 103.7 and feeling like death wasn't great. Second shot only side effect was a sore arm. We thought for sure it was going to knock me out for a few days.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 30, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I had to reschedule my 2nd shot with Kroger. Same thing with them -- there was no way to schedule an independent second dose without some gaming of their system. I was able to find a workaround, and the random Kroger I scheduled in the middle of nowhere called me and said "We have you scheduled for a second dose, but didn't give you your first dose." I clarified and all was good, but yeah... a lot of logistics in the distribution are fucky.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Oh, neat, my grandfather just added me on Facebook.

... then started messaging me about the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, and how they need itunes gift cards to keep funding vaccine research (REALLY? the founder of Microsoft needs iTunes gift cards? when he's one of the wealthiest people in the world?)

............. I should mention my grandfather died in 1997. loving hell, this poo poo is getting super targeted. One of the more recent breaches reported against my email by haveibenpwned involved answers to "security questions" (it's a Carmax breach that isn't listed as a Carmax breach - basically a breach with a company that handles a lot of backend for dealers, and the phone # matches the one I had when I financed a car via Carmax - and they got SUPER personal with some questions since I'd been a victim of identity theft). As soon as I said "gramps, I love you and all, but how did you get out of your grave? You've been there for 25 years, we even entombed you in concrete!", I got blocked. :smith:

30 minutes later, another dead relative with a brand new profile tried to contact me. :wtc: I thought I had my FB pretty well locked down; unless you're friends with me, all you can see is my name. Guess they're trying the "throw some dynamite in the lake and see what rises to the top" approach. Or probably harvested everything in the ~10 seconds I let "gramps" onto my profile.

Facebook is poo poo to begin with, but scammers just make everything worse.

Haha yeah right?

Been pressure washing my house today. Using an electric pressure washer that actually works really well, but now i have two hoses and an electric cord to drag around and try not to get tangled up and it's a huge pain in the dick :v:

Super quiet tho and no gas so that's a plus.

I like my trash picked house brand power washer. It works, and was free. So far haven't had a need for anything more powerful, at least not one that costs money...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

I like my trash picked house brand power washer. It works, and was free. So far haven't had a need for anything more powerful, at least not one that costs money...

Hell yeah if it's free it's for me :)

This one is borrowed so sort of free, I need to buy one eventually the best I've used so far are the Honda powered units.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

good news: went back to Ford Field and the FEMA/ANG people did not give one poo poo. I can feel the 5G powerin up baby!!!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

good news: went back to Ford Field and the FEMA/ANG people did not give one poo poo. I can feel the 5G powerin up baby!!!

:hellyeah: Feel the 5G power.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

A/V chat: justified is indeed one of the best shows ever and cemented the desire to watch anything Goggins and Olyphant are in.

Conversely, I just watched The Dead Don't Die and it's the worst film I've seen in recent years, despite starring Bill Murray, Danny Glover, Adam Driver and Chloe Sevigny.. Don't inflict this film on yourselves, folks.

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 1, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Do you all want a more permanent dad/wellbeing chat thread? I'd usually begin to ask elsewhere but given my typing is limited, thought maybe to ask here first before the next chat thread is opened. If there's interest I'll have a chat to Elm/MrChips and we'll come up with something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

It should include BBQ.