Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That Works posted:

Would offering to broker the pardon play into that though?

I dunno, I'm not a lawyer. I just remember being guilty of crimes you don't report being unique aspects of the military and/or Stalinist Russia. Our society isn't structured that way unless there are specific reporting laws for specific situations (i.e. health practitioners and rape in California or hiding a felon from the police).

Edit: my intuition is still no, because its not evading the police or detection, but in securing pardon which is sort of past all of that down the line.

piL fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MA-Horus posted:

Watching the reactions of people that grew up in a city and never really saw the night sky seeing it for the first time in the middle of nowhere always makes me smile a bit.

It's very much :unsmith:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

bulletsponge13 posted:

The other cool thing about NODs and the sky was seeing unexplainable poo poo.

I remember when I first got into tracking the ISS as it passed overhead, I stepped out one night, saw the ISS, and was about to go inside when I saw an iridium flare (satellite flash for those who don't know or care about this stuff). "Cool," I thought, "two for one!" Then the satellite lit up again... and changed direction. That was a hold-your-breath moment.

Turned out to be a firefly. But still, the ISS was awesome.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

Funny way of writing “the girl”.

They do this poo poo all the time now. See "underage women" in the epstein stories. It's loving horseshit

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
My next few major purchases are all planned out, but this thread is making me wish a telescope was higher on the list...probably towards the end of the year, barring anything unexpected. I'm not far from places with extremely low light pollution and I want to actually start taking advantage of it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just bought one, can recommend.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Godholio posted:

My next few major purchases are all planned out, but this thread is making me wish a telescope was higher on the list...probably towards the end of the year, barring anything unexpected. I'm not far from places with extremely low light pollution and I want to actually start taking advantage of it.

Buy a cheap one in the meantime. You can spend like $50 on one that is surprisingly functional while you plan for a proper telescope.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I won't have a chance to use it for a couple of months anyway (I live in a city with a fuckton of light pollution, and my camping truck isn't close to ready). But I should probably start researching so I can narrow it down to a few options or features.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

I won't have a chance to use it for a couple of months anyway (I live in a city with a fuckton of light pollution, and my camping truck isn't close to ready). But I should probably start researching so I can narrow it down to a few options or features.

What sort of stuff do you want to look at? Light pollution is not always a problem. I live near DC and do astrophotography and it's mostly fine. Planets are visible just about anywhere (horizon is usually the issue) and of course the Moon is doable regardless.

The amateur astronomy thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hannibal posted:

What sort of stuff do you want to look at? Light pollution is not always a problem. I live near DC and do astrophotography and it's mostly fine. Planets are visible just about anywhere (horizon is usually the issue) and of course the Moon is doable regardless.

The amateur astronomy thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317

I don't have any words for this other than awesome.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Try binocular astronomy. You’ll use them even when you have a telescope, and there’s a surprising amount of stuff that’s visible through binoculars.

As Nero Danced posted:

I remember when I first got into tracking the ISS as it passed overhead, I stepped out one night, saw the ISS, and was about to go inside when I saw an iridium flare (satellite flash for those who don't know or care about this stuff). "Cool," I thought, "two for one!" Then the satellite lit up again... and changed direction. That was a hold-your-breath moment.

Turned out to be a firefly. But still, the ISS was awesome.

Iridium flares are no more. The new generation of satellites don’t have big flat antennæ to reflect the Sun like that.

One time I saw was looking at a nebula and saw a seventh-magnitude star move slowly across the telescope’s view, blinking every three seconds. Stars don’t do that. Asteroids don’t do that. Planes don’t do that.

It was very mysterious for a few hours before I thought about molniya satellites and looked up orbital parameters to confirm that that checked out. It must be defunct and tumbling.

I need to go out to hunt Vanguard 1 some day. It’s the earliest launched object still up there, from 1958.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you want one that has electronics in it, just order it now before it randomly becomes "the thing" and triples in price or disappears into "out of stock" land. The mix of chips and international shipping from places that make them (do we even make telescopes here? Lol) is probably going to be just ounces of fun to deal with in six months.

I bought a digital piano a while back with Bidenbux, not because I wanted to jam out right this second, but because the combination of coming from China and electronics during the chip shortage is probably going to make them a little more scarce and/or expensive. I've wanted to learn for years, and if I'm going to take a stab at it, might as well start now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^That's a good point. I'll start looking into things now.

hannibal posted:

Well, that's a thread I didn't know about, thanks!

I want to look at everything, and Las Vegas is just hazy and bright.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

(do we even make telescopes here? Lol)

Some of the high‐end stuff made in America, e.g. Stellarvue out of California, but everything else is made in China or Taiwan, and it’s good, way better than entry‐level American scopes ever were.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 30, 2021

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
If you are into shooting you can two-for-one and get a spotting scope. I used mine to peep the moon last year during a lunar event and it was cool just how much I could make out. I would have liked to have had a map of the face of the moon so I could put names to locations. This was also just using the Wal-Mart special spotting scope, I think it was $60.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I bought a Maksutov type telescope many years ago. It’s great because that type of telescope uses a bunch of compound mirror systems or something to create a real powerful telescope in a real compact package. I could carry the whole thing in like a slightly large camera bag (and the tripod separate). With an additional big eye magnification lens it was easy to see the rings of Saturn and spots on Jupiter, and a ton of moons. Venus and Mars especially were pretty mind blowing. There might be better telescopes now but that type, Maksutov, was only a few hundred bucks and way great.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The next full Moon will be eclipsed. It takes place in the morning of May 26 U.S. time. Total eclipse is visible basically west of the Mississippi. East of that, the Moon drops below the horizon before it enters full shadow.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

piL posted:

I don't think so because the he didn't assist in evading or hiding the crime, he just didn't report it.

Not to "actually" this, but if you have knowledge of a Federal crime and don't report it, you can be indicted. Up to 3 years Federal prison. It's called misprision. The "conceals" part usually means any efforts to hide it. Such as disappearing texts I would assume.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/4

E: it's a rare indictment though. Here's some good reading if you're bored.

https://www.whitecollarbriefly.com/2017/06/07/9th-circuit-clarifies-elements-of-misprision-of-felony/

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 30, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

bird food bathtub posted:

Boy Scouts did this for me. Camping on a mountain (well OK really big hill) top during the perseid meteor shower is amazing and if I ever have kids they'll do it too.

I still remember as a kid going on a camping trip to Cole Canoe Base up in northern Michigan, looking up, and seeing more stars than I had ever seen before.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
There is a hotel/holiday village in Lappland where they have huts with glass roofs. The place is out in the sticks and the view at night is supposed to be astounding.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Champ24jg/status/1387623173051625474

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Norman, Oklahoma is like those clifftop towns or seaside cities always getting their poo poo wrecked except minus the appeal.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Not to "actually" this, but if you have knowledge of a Federal crime and don't report it, you can be indicted. Up to 3 years Federal prison. It's called misprision. The "conceals" part usually means any efforts to hide it. Such as disappearing texts I would assume.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/4

E: it's a rare indictment though. Here's some good reading if you're bored.

https://www.whitecollarbriefly.com/2017/06/07/9th-circuit-clarifies-elements-of-misprision-of-felony/

I appreciate that and it's really interesting. According to that second article though, it still requires "affirmative steps to conceal the crime of the principal". I assume going about your day and not telling anyone wouldn't count as an affirmative step, but I also I suspect that, if questioned by law enforcement about it, saying you didn't know would count as an affirmative step. Again, I don't really know.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

piL posted:

I dunno, I'm not a lawyer. I just remember being guilty of crimes you don't report being unique aspects of the military and/or Stalinist Russia. Our society isn't structured that way unless there are specific reporting laws for specific situations (i.e. health practitioners and rape in California or hiding a felon from the police).

Edit: my intuition is still no, because its not evading the police or detection, but in securing pardon which is sort of past all of that down the line.

In practice it happens all the time with stuff like conspiracy charges. Close family friend of mine did a year and some change in federal prison because he caught a co worker hacking illegally into a competitor and told him to stop, eventually get him fired for being a dipshit. The documentation on why is vague. The only other witness to this personally dies in a car accident.

Years later, just before the statue of limitations would have expired the guy gets caught doing other stuff and says he’ll testify against his “co-conspirators” in other crimes for leniency.

So he ended up with the choice of fighting all kinds of conspiracy to commit fraud and computer hacking charges that could be like 10-20 years or plead out. And this is a well off white dude.

Told me he stopped feeling sorry for himself when he met a lot of black guys who spent their whole adult lives in federal prison for even more trite things as teenagers, a lot who were wrong place wrong time and ended up being fall guys in drug organizations.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I'm pretty sure I saw all gas no brakes in here before, not sure if everyone realizes he got hosed on that and is now posting as Channel 5. Anyway I just noticed this came out yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGWNX1GNzJo

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

hannibal posted:

Ever make it to one of the open nights for the telescope at the USNO?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1387584072021692420?s=20

this Biden dude might be all right.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

He's pissing off a lot of rich people. I can respect that. I don't care for his views on weed, but it's more important we focus on sending tax bills to Bezos and Musk than me being able to drive across the country with a bag of grass.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

He's pissing off a lot of rich people. I can respect that. I don't care for his views on weed, but it's more important we focus on sending tax bills to Bezos and Musk than me being able to drive across the country with a bag of grass.

It also seems like most State governments are already moving on the legal weed footing, either because they benefit from taxes or Vet orgs/Medical orgs are pushing it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

It also seems like most State governments are already moving on the legal weed footing, either because they benefit from taxes or Vet orgs/Medical orgs are pushing it.

Tax money in the states that are being more lenient. States that want potency limits or extremely narrow medical requirements, those are still fighting progress. Just let a motherfucker smoke a weed.

The big vet orgs aren't exactly rallying behind weed either, because they're still run by aging boomers. Yeah, there's a soft spot for weed in the vet community, but the top ends can't really come out in support without likely risking financial assistance, be it from members themselves, or some variety of government aid.

There are smaller groups, like Grow4Vets, but they're a drop in the bucket compared to the numbers the VFW can still manage, even with dwindling memberships. So either all the pot smoking vets join a bigger org and start pushing from the inside, or we effectively stand on the sidelines and let congress critters figure this poo poo out, which won't make anyone happy.

Gonna start my own VFW, with blackjack and hookers and weed.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 30, 2021

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Soylent Pudding posted:

The article makes it look like Gaetz refused to list a finger to help Greenberg even after Greenberg made it clear he hadn't flipped because he's holding out for a pardon.

The highly tarnished silver lining of these people is that they seem constitutionally incapable of not grifting and throwing each other under the bus at all times.

This is a thing with fascist or fascist-adjacent groups - most of the higher-ups are in it for personal gain and they obviously operate on FYGM because it's the whole ideology, so they tend to backstab each other more or less constantly. It's one reason why the FBI has penetrated the organized groups so thoroughly - they tend to be willing to cheerfully roll on somebody else to protect their rear end and get a rival out of the way.

You can bitch about leftist circular firing squads, but in general it seems to be a little harder to get leftist leaders to throw each other under the bus in my impression.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Notahippie posted:

This is a thing with fascist or fascist-adjacent groups - most of the higher-ups are in it for personal gain and they obviously operate on FYGM because it's the whole ideology, so they tend to backstab each other more or less constantly. It's one reason why the FBI has penetrated the organized groups so thoroughly - they tend to be willing to cheerfully roll on somebody else to protect their rear end and get a rival out of the way.

You can bitch about leftist circular firing squads, but in general it seems to be a little harder to get leftist leaders to throw each other under the bus in my impression.

I just finished teaching a section on Fascism for my Ideology class and this is exactly how Germany and Italy operated during the 30s and the 40s. Very few true believers at the higher echelons and they all competed for personal gain rather than the benefiting the state. It's a weird ideology in many ways.

Also, RIP Mike Collins. I followed him on Facebook and he was such a joy. I'm a member of a few Space Groups on FB and apparently if you complemented him on his book Carrying the Fire he'd gently chide you for reading "that smut". An all around awesome man.

Burning Beard fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 30, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
BIDEN CAT

BIDENCATBIDENCATBIDENCAT

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1388121523391803393?s=19

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1388135359423389698?s=19

(JILL) BIDEN CAT

quote:

The president was asked if the cat was his idea. He simply replied, "No."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Paddyo posted:

I think the powers that be know that carriers and other capitol ships are just floating liabilities if we ever fight against another state actor who can throw up 40 modern anti-ship missiles.

Even in the Reagan-era flood tide of money, Aegis was never tested to capacity. Because, and I admit I'm paraphrasing here, "that would be too expensive." The F-14/Phoenix engage-six-targets-at-once thing was done in live fire exactly once.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Can't wait for The Five, Ingraham, and/or Gutfeld! to have debates on the symbolism of adopting a cat to have as a pet at the White House and how it's a harbinger of a socialist Marxist Leninist Radical Left Antifa BLM Agenda.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CBJSprague24 posted:

Can't wait for The Five, Ingraham, and/or Gutfeld! to have debates on the symbolism of adopting a cat to have as a pet at the White House and how it's a harbinger of a socialist Marxist Leninist Radical Left Antifa BLM Agenda.

You know how cats like to walk on keyboards? Imagine how stoked this one is to walk on the nuclear launch button.

"The White House extends its deepest sympathies to the smoking radioactive crater formerly known as Finland. That darn cat will just jump on anything!"

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/GigWC/status/1387839061394526208

“In the process of delivering the food, Officer Metcalf discovered the recipient also had an open warrant and subsequently arrested them. In the process, the food was shot several times.”

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Madurai posted:

Even in the Reagan-era flood tide of money, Aegis was never tested to capacity. Because, and I admit I'm paraphrasing here, "that would be too expensive." The F-14/Phoenix engage-six-targets-at-once thing was done in live fire exactly once.

Yeah, only ~5000 AIM-54s (encompassing A and C models) were ever produced. Tomcats usually only carried two, and during the Tomcat's heyday carriers had to pack munitions for *way* more airframes on board. It'd surprise me if no more than 50 Phoenixes made it on board each carrier for every cruise with an option for more delivered by VERTREP if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, only ~5000 AIM-54s (encompassing A and C models) were ever produced. Tomcats usually only carried two, and during the Tomcat's heyday carriers had to pack munitions for *way* more airframes on board. It'd surprise me if no more than 50 Phoenixes made it on board each carrier for every cruise with an option for more delivered by VERTREP if needed.

That few? Now I really feel guilty for flinging missiles all over the sky in After Burner.