Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kesper North posted:

This is exactly how I react to Costco and IKEA, too

Same. Anxiety attacks at the liquor store are my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The saddest protest.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Dude is 68 right now, it’s gonna be amazing when he dies.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hekk posted:

And yet here we all are.

And I think we’re done talking about the VFW.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The remote-release gun from the Watchmen tv show is unironically a good idea.

Cops kill more people than people kill cops.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Or they suspected he was actually a super powered individual violating the Stokovia Accords.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t see what’s so funny

:golfclap:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The next person to mention riding the lighting gets to ride a sixer.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Midjack posted:

Jefferson Davis chair saga has ended.

District Attorney Michael Jackson posted:

"The suspects will have a theft charge and an extortion charge put on them in Selma. The best story written since Hamlet is coming to a close."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Anti-mask protest starting to get spicy in Montreal right now, anti-maskers saying a few thousand people with more attempting to reach but blocked by the cops. CBC saying a few dozens.

https://twitter.com/cclementyy/status/1381408994468724739?s=20

(This guy is an anti-masker)

Haven’t had a good riot in a while, we used to get them almost monthly.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

This is part of what makes the Meshka posts so amusing

Let’s move on from them now though. Everyone’s agreed that all cops are bad.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Just go read Facebook comments, you’ll get the same argument. This dogpile is over.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Rule 2 is always in effect.

Also, they already declared general salvage and that thing isn't worth 1 billion so they probably just let them keep it.

Edit: Evergreen doesn't own the Evergiven so they don't care.

Rule 2 of the colreg has nothing to do with pilotage. And the government of Egypt isn’t a party to the general average; general average doesn’t diminish the value of the vessel or cargo.

Pilots are only onboard as advisers, and the captain retains the ultimate responsibility for the conduct of the vessel in most jurisdiction. In some places, the captain or his representative (the OOW) has a duty to take over from the pilot as soon as the pilot starts loving up. This is, obviously, difficult. Long story short, the pilots probably shrugged and walked away.

The owners and the government claim that there was no mechanical failure, such as a black out or steering gear issue. Incident report won’t be out for a while.

Evergreen doesn’t own the ship but they’re the carrier for the cargo onboard so they might have even more of an incentive to get the ship moving again. That being said until the GA assessment is completed or bonds are posted, they’re not in a rush to get these containers off. (poo poo they’re probably happy the ship is off-hire)

The GA case is a clusterfuck, Egypt arresting the ship is Egypt Egypting and once the story falls off the media radar the ship’ll get moving again.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The crew of the Ever Given is in a lovely spot but their situation is in no way comparable to the guy on an an abandoned general cargo.

The ship that guy is on is worth maybe five mills and likely has liabilities far in excess of that attached. The Ever Given is worth 150 mill empty and dry, and her only major lien is likely the Egyptian government’s. (I mean sure, mortgage and bunkers, but the owner isn’t a single ship company and Evergreen is... Evergreen)

It’s like comparing an Afghan Hilux to a US Army MRAP, wholly different ballgame and owners.

As for auctioning the ship and cargo, they’re a government, they can do whatever they want.

(Long answer, they can arrest the ship for non payment if the owners don’t post security, then auction it off; ironically this would gently caress the salvors over big time unless they went through the hoops to contract the owners in personam)

Maritime law is greeeeeat.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Y'all need to file an insurance claim and re-order whatever was on the shipment. Cause I think Evergreen said gently caress it, you deal with it when presented with the nearly billion dollar bill.

The $900m bill is pretty small compared to the actual cost of the stuck canal, imo, but that's the cost. Either Evergreen ponies up the cash, or that poo poo is going on the auction block. I don't have a source handy and this may have came from a fever dream, but I recall reading something yesterday that Evergreen was not going to pay Egypt. That ship isn't going anywhere for a while.

Evergreen hasn’t made a statement either way and it’s unlikely they just say gently caress it and walk away.

But yeah, my professional advice is order a replacement, even when the ship gets released it’s going to be a while before the cargo is released too. Hope you had GA coverage.

900 mill is an absolutely outrageous sum.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

orange juche posted:

900 mil is likely Egypt trying to squeeze Evergreen for cash, the actual impact of the lost trade was something like 400M, and Egypt is hoping Evergreen will offer them half or something. Or the value of the cargo and ship is more than 400M and Egypt is hoping Evergreen walks away so they can auction it off.

400 millions in lost canal tolls? That’s a little high, basis their 2020 revenu it’s more like 117 mill per week. They might be including the salvage costs, which, yeah, could be in the hundreds of mill.

It’s 100% Egypt trying to squeeze them, once the media spotlight is off someone is going to fly into Cairo with a duffel bag and fly out empty handed and the ship will quietly go to Port Said and unload. That’s how it works there, the only difference this time is the memes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

orange juche posted:

Smitt estimated cost and fees for their salvage help was something near 300M USD, so that and the canal fees adds up to close to the amount. Egypt is just trying to get a big markup and hoping Evergreen eats it or walks the gently caress away.

That’s assuming Smitt was contracted by the government or SCA and not by the ship. They’d usually get a contract with the ship so they can put a lien on it (beside the coastal / port state would sale to recover from the owner anyway)

To sum up the claims, roughly:
-The salvors (SMITT and excavator dude) have a claim against the owners of the ship for the salvage award, assuming the salvage was performed under LOF, or for the salvage costs and mark up if that’s how they were contracted
-The charterers (Evergreen) have a claim against the owners for off-hire for the time since the ship ran aground
-The ship owners have a general average claim against the charterers and cargo interest to recover the salvage costs
-Some cargo owners are going to sue the charterers and owners to recover the value of spoiled cargo; they will lose (Hague-Visby wooo)
-The ships that got delayed and the owners of cargo onboard same are poo poo out of luck
-Egypt is going to do whatever the gently caress they feel like; they reasonably have a claim for the damage to the canal and their salvage effort but they’re a government so laws don’t really apply to them.
-The pilots are home and laughing
-The crew is stuck onboard until further notice but they should still be getting paid, unless the ship management company (different entity from the owners or charterers) goes under.

Then the insurers, reinsurers and P&I are all going to start flinging poo poo at each other’s, and there’s going to be brokers and the like filling claims up and down the chain, but them’s the basic. It’s pretty simple overall, except for their being a few dozen thousand cargo owners. That’s your headache.

That and the media attention, you don’t want the duffel bag to end up in a meme.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

where are they placing blame? Guessing there will be a long & huge investigation. Egypt is being lovely and trying to shake money out of the insurance company, more or less? I read something about high winds and the ship being loaded high.

Forgot if I read here or on reddit, but, unlike the Panama Canal, I guess the pilot of the Suez canal is more of an advisor to the ship going through With the Panama Canal, the pilot will take full control of the ship, which also means blame.

something like that.

Pilots everywhere except Panama, and even then, are only onboard in an advisory capacity.

The ship was loaded in accordance with design and regulation.

The captain is going to be blamed. The root cause is poor forecasting and the SCA allowing the ship through when there was a risk of a sandstorm, but it’ll be two plus years before we see an investigation report.

Egypt always tries to shake money out of people. You can’t get through the canal without disbursing a fuckton of courtesy payments.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Legit shipping companies have a process for facilitation payments.

Every few years you get a manager from outside shipping who loses his poo poo at the idea of charterers victualling and decides to cancel all courtesy gifts.

This kills the KPI and the career.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

To give an example, there’s a port where it’s well known that if you don’t put a $20 in the glove the foreman “drops” in front of you, your ship is going to get loaded very shittily.

You could file a complaint, but by the time it’s received, your ship has already been loaded. By the time it gets investigated, every single ship your company has sent to this port has been delayed by multiple hours (at $lol an hour) and the customer is getting annoyed that your performance is shittier than the competition.

The investigation concludes that lol, what are you even talking about? But anyway by that time the ships have started giving the money anyway, out of the crew’s pocket, because gently caress dealing with that poo poo for $20 anyway.

This port is in the USA. I’ll let you imagine what it’s like overseas.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My favorite is when they just go “is problem with form capitan” and the captain just hands them a bottle so they flip over to the next form which - you guessed it - has problem.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

PookBear posted:

we went through four years of trump and decrying the constant cronyism and self dealing but now bribes are OK

Think of them as tips given ahead of time. It’s not nearly the same scale, anyway - I’m not going to hold up a shipment of, idk, 20,000 tons of diesel because the custom officer wants a bottle of scotch.

It’s the way of the world outside North America and Western Europe (and even then, sometimes in these places).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Because we can’t do business without them and accountants don’t like it when money disappears?

So you have an entry like “bonded store disbursement to courtesy gift, XYZ port” and you move on.

Because there’s ten other ships in ten other ports in ten other countries that are making “petty cash disbursements to goodwill, ABC port”

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Oh that reminds me, there used to be a dock in the Midwest that had a mailbox on the dock, like one of those mailboxes with the flag?

Anyway when you docked there, you put a box of cookies and a can of coffee in the mailbox or the loading rig had electrical problems for a while. Funny how that goes.

That was in Ohio of all places.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

What could a bribe cost, $10?

In a lot of place, yeah. A carton of duty free cigarettes goes a long way.

Edit: friend of mine once got to go to Nigeria on a large crude oil tanker, the custom officer implied that the customs clearance would go a lot faster if she did it one on one with him; he had to satisfy himself with a dozen cartons of cigarettes and a pair of boots.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 15, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I still find it kind of surreal that a country can just *yoink* everything on a cargo ship if it wants to. I mean I guess that's the benefit to being a sovereign power, but jeez.

What would happen if a superjumbo cruise ship got stuck? (I have no idea if cruise ships actually go through the Suez canal much) Do they get to ransom the passengers? Enslave the staff? Do they keep all the passengers' luggage and all the booze and stuff from the onboard mall?

Countries can do whatever the gently caress they want, what are you gonna do, call the cops?

They could seize a cruise ship, it would be a huge international incident, then they’d eventually release people from first world countries and gently caress the rest.

I’ve been on a cruise ship that wasn’t allowed to clear custom and immigration until immigration had fingerprinted and photographed the entire crew, US Citizens excepted. What are you gonna do about it, not call Miami?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The cops are having the time of their lives. They live for this. They're rabid dogs itching for a fight. And they're getting a fuckton of overtime.

Would you say we’ve entered the summer coolzone?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

What is political lobbying?

No see that’s different, because rich people do it.

Having dabbled in the lobbying game, let me tell you, poor people would have it a lot better if they could afford lobbyists.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Most people just aren’t aware of it. We know from popular culture that a politician accepting a briefcase full of cash is bad, but we don’t really wonder who actually writes regulations.

I mean the lobbyists don’t write it, but they certainly take part in the consultative process, you know?

And it’s not like the government has a team of experts ready to discuss how to best regulate this brand new aspect of industry operation.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

US Berder Patrol posted:

What are the implications of this?

None, putting the defendant on the stand is often a bad strategy since it allows the prosecution to question them too, and they rarely come out looking good.

The defence is done now, the prosecution has some rebuttal evidence to present, then after that it’s closing statements, jury instructions and deliberation.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Yup. It was a reference to gas evidence already introduced, so everything's peachy.

https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1382717547942793216?s=19

It's all good. The already-introduced evidence is plenty to call the defense's expert explanation bullshit refuted by already-introduced numbers.

Doesn’t CO poisoning gently caress with pulse ox measurement though? I thought I remembered from like first aid or something that rosy skin + confusion + pulse ox 100% = CO poisoning

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Oh it’s a completely BS claim and everyone knows it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

We’re done arguing about capitalism and corruption now, thank you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

If you for example make it so that speeding was punishable by a week in the local jail that would still have racial and class biased fiscal consequences, as a wealthy individual not being able to work for a week is no where near the crippling act it could be for someone at the poverty line.

Equitable punishment is very hard to codify.

There would be a ton of money to fix up jails suddenly available if you did that though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/Haleaziz/status/1383097539574910982

It's bad but when you consider it's probably a hedge against climate riots it's probably worse

I mean with an active pandemic and such it might not be a great time to encourage mass movements of people.

But gently caress maintaining any policy Trump set.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

We had the same issue here last year when people were arguing that CERB was incentivizing people not to look for work.

My response was “pay your employees more than 2,000 a month, dumbass.”

(We do have an actual labor shortage though, but a lot of it is a pay shortage. I have some super in-demand certification in a ridiculously under manned field, but am I going to go back to that poo poo when I can make 95% as much in an easier job? Duck no.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bring back night court.

24/7 courts working in shifts, assembly line style.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

thread title suggestion to celebrate America getting back to greatness:

April gunshowers mean May funeral flowers

We’ve got twelve more days to bury the dead and try the bronies, things can change.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I don’t have a masters in security studies or anything but uh... are y’all having a little civil war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Laranzu posted:

A civil war needs to originate from the civil region of France. We're having a sparkling breakdown of a previously functioning capitalist exploitation wasteland.

Thank you for the clarification. :discourse: