Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is this the one where even their own family ran ad's for his opponent saying the dude was dicks and not to vote for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I've been thinking about it recently, and I don't think in this case places pulling money from Georgia will matter. It will certainly work on culture war bullshit that local Republicans use to get elected, but the recent election probably scared the party that they'll lose their rear end on the next go around of state elections, and they'd rather maintain their position no matter what the cost to Georgia is.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

When you want to drown in army style, the duckboat.

Stone Mountain has them as an attraction where they take you out on the lake with them. They don't seem that bad, but I can see it being a really lovely experience outside of a calm lake in nice weather.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

In "Georgia GOP will burn this state to the ground" news.

Forbes posted:

A group of Georgia lawmakers are demanding that Coca-Cola products be removed from their office suite after the company’s CEO panned Georgia’s new voting law, the latest boycott called by Republicans to retaliate against companies they claim are contributing to an “out of control cancel culture.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlie...sh=7f519e2d31b3

and in what the gently caress news relating to that

Forbes posted:

Voting rights activist Stacey Abrams last week asked businesses not to boycott Georgia over the new law, writing in an op-ed for USA Today that boycotts could hurt the same working-class people who will be most disenfranchised by the new voting restrictions. “[Leaving] us behind won’t save us,” Abrams wrote. “So I ask you to bring your business to Georgia and, if you’re already here, stay and fight. Stay and vote.”

I don't get this thought pattern. You could make the case that boycotting, I dunno, amazon for screwing with unions already hurts the people amazon are already hurting by getting people laid off? Why would the GOP flip sides on the issue if "They gently caress around" and "don't find out" because voting them out isn't going to work if they keep messing with voting.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 5, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That won't stop criminals and mass shooters from breaking the law and using guns anyway

Regardless of how you feel about guns or what ever, basing a law or policy on "people will just break the laws anyway" in my mind leads to the interesting conclusion that laws and policies as a whole are useless because people will just break the laws anyway.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I have the feeling, that if the community is pissed off enough that you've erected a four foot cement barrier and some chain link around your private residence. Your house is doomed and no amount of barriers are going to prevent someone hucking a few fire bombs on to your roof.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean I've been saying this for months now and even telling it to people in real life and they look at me like I'm a loon

I don't get what was so controversial.

Well off people can stay locked in their homes if they want to and wait for poo poo to pass, and even if they do get it they can afford a higher standard of care for poo poo, then look at the graph of who makes up the upper percentile of wages/wealth in America.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I'm kinda confused, us being there hasn't done jack against the Taliban and ISIS rebuilding, because they mostly train and build up elsewhere, and they've been pretty successful at attacking Afghan troops even with us being present.

Even then, what is the alternative?

Build Afghanistan into a robust economic and politically stable country so the locals don't have a reason to turn to the Taliban for protection or economic advancement?

Pssh, we can barely do that for ourselves.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I couldn't think of a joke, beyond something like it being remarkably on brand for republicans passing a bill where kids get their junk inspected.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ZombieApostate posted:

I still think that packing the courts is a pandora's box that we won't be able to close if the republicans ever get control of government again.

You're saying this as if the republicans haven't already been doing it for some time. Apparently something like 100 something federal judges ended up being handed to Trump due to the senate not bothering with a lot of obama's nominees. The Republicans also showed that if a Supreme Court seat becomes vacant under a Democrat president, with Republicans in the senate, they'll hold it vacant until the next R president.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ZombieApostate posted:

It feels like adding seats reduces the legitimacy of the courts, whereas impeachment should, in theory, increase it when removing judges that should never have been appointed

I mean, you could also make the claim that impeaching judges who've done nothing more than interpret the law in a lovely regressive manner and where appointed in a legal, albeit lovely, fashion is just as "political" as increasing the amount of seats on the bench.

At a certain point something will give, and I'd rather the democrats bang the door shut on the republicans ability to write lovely laws than the reverse.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah let's suspend habeas corpus too!

A reminder that the constitution didn't set anything about supreme court membership, beyond that it should be more than one. It literally could have been two dudes or 200000000 dudes. The Judiciary Act under Washington established Six Justices. Jefferson in 1807 bumped that number up to seven, Nine in 1837, 1863 bumped to 10. 1866 dropped to seven, 1869 bumped to nine. So acting as if "Nine is the sacred number and thus it shall ever be and anything else is political that can only lead to bad outcomes" is kind of weird IMO and I don't understand why people get bent out of shape when expansion of the courts is brought up.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ASAPI posted:

In other news, my neighborhood is talking about an armed neighborhood watch. If that happens I’m getting a x amount of days since neighbors have shot themselves sign.

911 Emergency.

:downs: A roving band of armed people are walking around the neighborhood and they look like they want to pick a fight please send help!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm just so tired, so very tired

I don't see how this matters? It's supremely stupid, but the cards shouldn't be used by any organization or event as a means of verifying vaccine status in the first place. Even if the cards where somehow strictly controlled and forgery proof, you'd still have shitheads borrowing other peoples cards or outright stealing them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Is being trained by a cop them just making sure you are as hair trigger and rage addicted as possible?

The most "useful" things they could show extremist groups are how to stay off the radar of the wider police, and common police security measures for events to circumvent them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Why are stenography machines still in use when we could video and mic up everyone involved and the court room in general? I mean, maybe keep the stenographers around so if there's something garbled for the recording you could compare it against what the stenographer has?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Arguably this is kind of why the NCAA hasn't gone anywhere over the years - hard to dislodge money once it's entrenched in there.

Someone explain this to

1) Not sportsball pay attenioners

2) An American

Please.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'd just like to say not having watched the video, between the ages of 14 and 16 I managed to successfully disarm my mentally ill younger brother of various sharp implements at various different times he had intent to stab me with and only was stabbed once in the arm while doing so.

A cop wearing a stab vest, shouldn't really have anything to worry about a sixteen year old girl with a knife.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dark theme is an improvement over light, but it's still kinda bad.

I just want Yospos Green on all the forums.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I have been on SA for too long, I immediately remembered the X CURES Y user names when I read this.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

I say it could be slanted because there's a lot of information being barfed back and forth. Half of twitter is like BREAK THE DRUG PATENTS THIS IS IMMORAL CAPITALISM (when moderna said in October they're not enforcing their patent and the bigger problem is materials and production methods).

I don't know a lot about this, but there's a difference between "we're not going to enforce the patent ever" and "we're not enforcing the patent...yet and also you have to agree to these terms and conditions", which has Moderna gone with? Because, I could see drug makers being real hesitant to go all in on spinning up production of a generic if it's the second.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

The general non-evil position is that if Moderna just willy-nilly says "here's how you make our vaccine", you get a lot of poo poo-quality vaccines made in locations like Emergent that make everything worse.

On the other hand, Emergent was licensed to produce the vaccine and still hosed up. So I'm not so sure QA of product is a benefit of licensing.

A better "non-evil" position is something something without patents something stifling innovation something investing in vaccines

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

golden bubble posted:

In more entertaining news straight out of a black mirror episode.

lol, this guy looked so dead inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

the yellow dart posted:

After all that, he still thinks Covid-19 is overblown because its his political belief, not because there isn't evidence to show its a horrifying disease to basically everyone in virtually all age groups.

Well if you look at it from his point of view, if covid wasn't overblown, he'd have basically run a bunch of fight events and personally be responsible for the debilitation and or death of various people, all so he could have more money and see men punch each other in the face. That would make him a bad person, and that really couldn't be right?