Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

On May 25, 2020, Minneapolis resident George Floyd was killed by MPD officer Derek Chauvin, after the police were called on him after he allegedly attempted to pass a $20 bill that turned out to be counterfeit at a local grocery store. Officer Derek Chauvin proceeded to kneel on his neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds, ignoring Floyd's protests that he couldn't breathe. The cause of death was determined by the coroner to be "Asphyxia due to neck and back compression". As you're no doubt aware, the entire incident was caught on video.

This lead to (as it should), a lot of protests, not only in Minneapolis but across the country, as yet another example of police violence against minorities in a long, long chain of examples. In the ensuing months, Derek Chauvin and the other officers on the scene have been arrested, and Derek Chauvin's trial began on this past monday, March 29, 2021. He stands charged with second degree murder, third degree murder, and manslaughter.

Now, we watch to see if justice will be done for once, or if the defense's argument that everything Chauvin did was according to police procedure (and that the death is, in fact, due to drugs, and also some bullshit about how the witnesses are at fault. Yes, that was in their opening statement). For what it's worth, Minnesota AG, and former U.S. representative Keith Ellison is heading the prosecution, and the prosecution team have solid credentials, as far as my inexperienced eye can tell. I don't see any reason to doubt they're doing less than their best.

CNN Live Feed

A brief breakdown of the jury

If there's anything that needs to be added to this OP, please, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I know I mentioned it in the OP, and it was in their opening statement, but it’s still wild to me that their defense is “he was scared of these assorted pedestrians standing at a distance”

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I do think it’s kind of important that we keep in mind that Chauvin going to jail is an unequivocally good thing. I think there’s a tendency around here to look at small victories and say that all that really does is push the real victory further off because people stop caring. And maybe there’s some truth to that. But I think that it’s more important that every case, every issue be fought for the win.

Also on a selfish level I live in Minneapolis and I’d really rather not go through all that again.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

This testimony feels like a slam dunk. Obviously there’s more to the case, but the medical aspect seems like a closed case.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

So did the prosecutor get the nod from the police union to go ahead, or are they ending their career here?

I mean, this is being managed at the state level, it’s not just some random local prosecutor. That being said, from a realpolitik perspective, I’m pretty sure the PD is just going to leave Chauvin out to dry.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I understand that the defense is running with limited options here, but really? Really? That’s the best they have? That would be such a huge credibility hit if they had any credibility left to lose.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Wait, the defense actually called Chauvin to the stand? I really would have assumed they’d try to avoid letting the prosecution take a crack at him. I was under the impression that pleading the 5th in your own trial is basically saying “I am guilty”.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, I misinterpreted it—he’s not testifying at all. I thought it was in response to a specific question.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Just a random poo poo rural R proposing this. It's not going anywhere, thankfully.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

They’re sequestered for deliberation, for the trial itself they were just instructed not to watch the news, iirc.

And I wouldn’t spend too much energy worrying about the appeal right now (which looks pretty flimsy, but it’s the defense’s job to make it possible).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Definitely a precaution, my office is doing it too

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

This obviously didn’t solve the problem, but this is definitely the Good Timeline way for things to go down. I can’t even loving imagine how bad things would have been if he’d walked.

But I don’t have to! Time to enjoy a muffin.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

This obviously didn’t solve the problem, but this is definitely the Good Timeline way for things to go down. I can’t even loving imagine how bad things would have been if he’d walked.

But I don’t have to! Time to enjoy a muffin.

I would like to report that the muffin is good.

Also that Pelosi's state is really fuckin' dumb, what the gently caress.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

They're all loving doing it what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/MayorFrey/status/1384619597576474625

Is this the same loving idiot who got booed out of a protest he decided to try and speak to?

Yep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

Thank you for this, can occasionally feel like posting into the ether.

I'd like to again ask that we move conversations about the killing of Ma'Khia Bryant into either a new thread or an existing thread for which it is a better fit. While the verdicts have been handed down in Chauvin's trial, the thread's topic remains relevant with both appeals and sentencing to come, and with considerable analysis to come on defense and prosecution strategy and what this may mean in other cases. The current discussion is entirely unrelated to Chauvin unless aggregated into a broader pattern in which case, again, it should not be here. If conversation continues this afternoon and one hasn't yet been created, I will do so myself. I suspect that my OP would be objectionable to many who have posted here thus far, though, so I strongly recommend someone else jump on that particular grenade.

I don't have it in me to make a general Police Violence thread myself, but I'd certainly appreciate somebody doing it.